The White House Correspondents' Dinner

burntorangebongos

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

A guy who insults people daily on twitter is upset and feels insulted by a comedian and what is essentially a roast.  That's beyond snowflake behavior.  Its flat out being a shitty person.

He's just punching back!  

/eyeroll

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Trump publicly insults someone just about every day, but things said at a roast are too much? 

Pretty much why the right wins everything. They don't worry about right or wrong, they don't worry about feelings, they don't worry about hypocrisy. They defend themselves and attack the opposition without fear. They relentlessly defend and attack until the other side gives up. And then they attack some more. They have been fortunate that they have such a shitty opponent.

Even with this, progressives have been supporting Wolf for a day very strongly. But then the WHCA comes in and cuts them off at their legs. And now the WHCA is going to do everything Trump wants to save face.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Pretty much why the right wins everything. They don't worry about right or wrong, they don't worry about feelings, they don't worry about hypocrisy. They defend themselves and attack the opposition without fear. They relentlessly defend and attack until the other side gives up. And then they attack some more. They have been fortunate that they have such a shitty opponent.

Even with this, progressives have been supporting Wolf for a day very strongly. But then the WHCA comes in and cuts them off at their legs. And now the WHCA is going to do everything Trump wants to save face.

Yep.

And this is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the "new normal."

Before, we had boxing.  Sure, there were cheap shots that the ref didn't catch, but there were norms.

Now -- and the analogy is not just an analogy, it's actually who we elected, and the crowd that elected him -- it's late-night wrasslin' with folks smashing chairs over each other's heads.  And that's the way it's gonna be.  If you wanna win, you best pick up a folding chair AND play to the ignoramus audience to get them on your side.

We are the USWWE now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Kudos to the comedian for telling it like it is, but she didn't have to be so fucking crude about it.

The crudeness was deliberate satire to illustrate just how detestable Trump’s public behavior has been normalized without enough pushback.

A female comedian creating this much outrage among the media and political elites was the perfect “In your fucking face” message they all needed to hear for treating this president the way they have.  

Their outrage over Wolf shows everyone what a fucking joke some of them have become.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I once saw Jay Leno when he was touring colleges ~ 1982.  He was heralded as one of the only comedians who "wasn't crude".  He wasn't.  He was actually really fucking funny.  But the idea that, in 2018, there are people out there who are actually shocked or dismayed that a comedian might <gasp> use bad words is mind-blowing.  Hers was a perfect example of most modern comedy, and she was pretty good.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Fuck the WHCA. And I think Democrats, as opposed to progressives, are the ones who are upset with Wolf on the left. 

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The crudeness was deliberate satire to illustrate just how detestable Trump’s public behavior has been normalized without enough pushback.

A female comedian creating this much outrage among the media and political elites was the perfect “In your fucking face” message they all needed to hear for treating this president the way they have.  

Their outrage over Wolf shows everyone what a fucking joke some of them have become.

What was crude about it? She said pussy a few times? Trump took pussy into the mainstream the same way Clinton took blow jobs to where you could mention them to your mom. Not saying it's a good thing but it's a fact. 

i'm surprised at this feigned outrage. 

this is exactly what the comedian wanted. the whole thing was a demonstration of how we have as a society, accepted crass behavior in our leaders and those that represent those leaders. some of the media outlets have specifically focused on her criticism of SHS. fuck that shit. that bitch gets up and lies every single day. not obfuscate. not mislead or refuse to answer. say what you want about spicer, but SHS is beyond the pale. the smokey eye comment was fucking funny. maybe it's lies. savage, and yet it really brings home the point in a succinct way.

what she did was shine a light on the cockroaches, in the press, in the leadership structure, and she did so unapologetically. that's the way it SHOULD be. if that monologue left you uncomfortable, then i think a good question to ask is "why?" why do you give a fuck that some comedian was disrespectful to the denizens of the swamp, and the press that enables their behavior?

• Like 4

A lot of media members showed their ass after this WHCD speech "controversy".  The WHCA, John Roberts, Andrea Mitchell, that Mika lady from MSBNC, etc. 

They report on and criticize Trump, but they don't really care. Apparently a comedian hire to talk shit talked too much shit.  That's just going too far for them.  In the end, it's still about ratings and access to the presidential administration for most of the MSM. 

Feel even better about not watching any of these assholes on TV and just getting my info from reporters I respect/follow on Twitter. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

A lot of media members showed their ass after this WHCD speech "controversy".  The WHCA, John Roberts, Andrea Mitchell, that Mika lady from MSBNC, etc. 

They report on and criticize Trump, but they don't really care. Apparently a comedian hire to talk shit talked too much shit.  That's just going too far for them.  In the end, it's still about ratings and access to the presidential administration for most of the MSM. 

Feel even better about not watching any of these assholes on TV and just getting my info from reporters I respect/follow on Twitter. 

Names, por favor.

23 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Clearly Trump isn't the type of guy who can man up and handle sitting there and getting roasted.  The whole reason he ran for President was because Obama humiliated him at that dinner, IIRC.

Well, the last roast he was the subject of the organizers decided that The Situation was a natural stand up comic so I can see where he would be distrustful of the whole process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's be honest, the main thrust of the uproar is the fact that Michelle Wolf is a woman.

I mean, you never see her and Carrot Top at the same comedy festival.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

You just described the left's reaction to every criticism of David Hogg by conservatives.

I believe that the WHCD hosts have the right to do what they want.  They've chosen to change what the dinner has historically been, and that's their right.

Before the change I thought that politicians should go and be a good sport.  I no longer have that position.  I think any GOP politician or any journalist who wants to be viewed as objective should no longer attend what has become a Democratic pep rally.

I think the dinner will wither up and die.  The tipping point will be when the George Stephanopoulos type see it as bad business to attend.

1 minute ago, TahoeHorn said:

I believe that the WHCD hosts have the right to do what they want.  They've chosen to change what the dinner has historically been, and that's their right.

Before the change I thought that politicians should go and be a good sport.  I no longer have that position.  I think any GOP politician or any journalist who wants to be viewed as objective should no longer attend what has become a Democratic pep rally.

I think the dinner will wither up and die.  The tipping point will be when the George Stephanopoulos type see it as bad business to attend.

It will be the cool kid nerd prom again once a Democrat is back in the White House. 

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

You just described the left's reaction to every criticism of David Hogg by conservatives.

It is all right to criticize the kid's stance. It is another thing to make up that he is an actor.

And I would be okay if Fox or anyone on the right to go after a journalist on the left that shit on his college admissions failures.

A whataboutism needs to be equal. Being a pizzagater and a sandy hook denier should be mocked by EVERYONE.

The outrage is silly. However what of course will be missed in all of this is the vile shit that gets spewed from all sides on a daily basis on social media isn't healthy for anyone. 

We could use a lot less name calling and finger pointing from all sides and that starts with the idiot in the white house. But those on the right and left need to look in the mirror before playing the victim card as all that makes them out to be is a giant hypocrite. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy say hi.

Show me all the live performances of Bruce, Carlin, Pryor, and Murphy on C-SPAN.  You can do crude at comedy clubs but you have to make it a little more accessible for the masses when you are being broadcast live from coast to coast on a political channel, not Comedy Central.  Pryor and Carlin for sure could also do network television without going blue.  The original idea behind this dinner was to have the jokes done in a Johnny Carson manner--both sides get shots taken at them but you don't go personal with it.  It has progressed into something far more biased than it was ever intended to be.

It's gotten stupid,  Who can take it a notch lower is the game now.  If ya can't be funny without saying fuck every other word yer not really funny.  The trick is who can take it up to the edge and still keep em laughing.

Trumps crassness isn't an excuse, it's just comedians who aren't as funny as they'd like to think they are who need to shock to get laughs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's gotten stupid,  Who can take it a notch lower is the game now.  If ya can't be funny without saying fuck every other word yer not really funny.  The trick is who can take it up to the edge and still keep em laughing.

Trumps crassness isn't an excuse, it's just comedians who aren't as funny as they'd like to think they are who need to shock to get laughs.

Who did that?

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not equal to the President of the United States and his admin being complete deplorables like we have with the Trump administration, but I would point to the Joy Reid of MSNBC story as a reminder that the progressive movement is capable of just as much hypocrisy for their favored ones.

Someone unearthed her past homophobic blog posts, she went through several lies just as egregious and idiotic as Trump’s lies when he gets caught, then issued a bizarre non-apology that was basically, “Ok, so I guess you caught me, but I still don’t remember writing those and doubt it was me.”

MSNBC isn’t going to punish her, and most in the left wing media are praising her for “owning” her mistake and being a great champion of gay rights nonetheless.

Both sides get to pretend to be virtuous when the other party is in power and you get to snipe at the awful things they do.  When the shoe is on the other foot there are very few examples of either side practicing what they preach. Unfortunately, I suspect the populist left is going to backlash hard when they return to power instead of rising above it all.

I've never watched a second of Joy Reid's show, but have followed the recent controversy.  I agree she should be getting heavy criticism from anyone on the left. 

We need to drain the media swamp as well. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I've never watched a second of Joy Reid's show, but have followed the recent controversy.  I agree she should be getting heavy criticism from anyone on the left. 

We need to drain the media swamp as well. 

She deserves criticism for the attempted coverup, not so much the statements. 

People are still allowed to see the error in their ways and change their minds.

37 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Show me all the live performances of Bruce, Carlin, Pryor, and Murphy on C-SPAN.  You can do crude at comedy clubs but you have to make it a little more accessible for the masses when you are being broadcast live from coast to coast on a political channel, not Comedy Central.  Pryor and Carlin for sure could also do network television without going blue.  The original idea behind this dinner was to have the jokes done in a Johnny Carson manner--both sides get shots taken at them but you don't go personal with it.  It has progressed into something far more biased than it was ever intended to be.

They could have dumped her at the first "pussy".  They didn't.  Don't blame her for doing her bit.  And for fuck's sake, she didn't say anything that others haven't said before in that exact same spot.