Hunger Ward
A Love Song for Latasha

Animated Short
Burrow
Genius Loci
If Anything Happens I Love You
Opera
Yes-People

I honestly can't beleive they're holding it this year. This has to be the worst field in... ever? 
I'm not complaining or anything, just feels pretty hollow.

I was thinking the same thing. Next year’s might be worse, right? Movies were in production like normal until last Feb/March. A lot of these were basically done. Not a whole lot happened for months after the shutdown, I don’t think. Maybe Gandorf can weigh in on that.

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was thinking the same thing. Next year’s might be worse, right? Movies were in production like normal until last Feb/March. A lot of these were basically done. Not a whole lot happened for months after the shutdown, I don’t think. Maybe Gandorf can weigh in on that.

Godzilla vs Kong is my early favorite for Best Picture nom next year.

11 minutes ago, naija said:

you've seen most of them?

No - that's kind of the point. I've usually seen about half by this point. They're virtually all low-budget, direct to streaming films from lesser known directors. It's just not particularly compelling - although I'm sure a few of them are worth watching and there are a couple that I want to check out. 

Weakest is probably a better word than worst. 

Edited by ztejas

Am I am  terribly unwoke and bad person if I say that after watching Ma Rainey's Black Bottom I felt Davis and Boseman's characters felt more like stereotypes and I have yet to understand like most of those movies what the fuss was other than it being Boseman's final role.

Other thing is if a good number of those movies were released on a streaming service will we continue to see this blurring between "theater" movies and "streaming" movies?

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I'm usually an Oscar junkie, but I've seen a total of 3 of the nominated acting performances, 1 nominated director, and 1 of the best picture noms.  Fucking pandemic has ruined another thing for me.  

I'm usually way behind because I don't like the movie theatre, so I am slow to catch up, but usually, I am happy to wait.  This crop -- kind of a downer, especially since I think I've seen the happiest of all of them, Trial of the Chicago 7, already...

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I'm usually an Oscar junkie, but I've seen a total of 3 of the nominated acting performances, 1 nominated director, and 1 of the best picture noms.  Fucking pandemic has ruined another thing for me.  

We get all of the best picture noms every year as date nights leading up to the Oscars and we're currently sitting at 1 as well (Nomadland). I don't think there's enough time or will to catch-up at this point.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

it's not a particularly deep year, but there have been plenty of good movies.  next year should actually be better because several movies that were slated for xmas 2020 will instead come out xmas 2021, along with other movies that were already slated for then.  i'm sure some will get bumped or end up on streaming, but 2021 should, in theory, contain 18 months worth of movies.  studios will try to control releases, but they may not be able to, or they'll be chasing it for a decade.

i really liked chicago 7 and promising young woman.  nomadland was good but it's what you think it's going to be.  it was well made and appropriately depressing.  i liked mank a lot and kinda want to see it again, i think i'll like it more.

looking forward to minari and the father.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's not a particularly deep year, but there have been plenty of good movies.  next year should actually be better because several movies that were slated for xmas 2020 will instead come out xmas 2021, along with other movies that were already slated for then.  i'm sure some will get bumped or end up on streaming, but 2021 should, in theory, contain 18 months worth of movies.  studios will try to control releases, but they may not be able to, or they'll be chasing it for a decade.

i really liked chicago 7 and promising young woman.  nomadland was good but it's what you think it's going to be.  it was well made and appropriately depressing.  i liked mank a lot and kinda want to see it again, i think i'll like it more.

looking forward to minari and the father.

Chicago 7 is next on my list, then Judas and I guess I'll need to check out Promising Young Woman at some point. I like David Fincher a lot so that means I'll need to see Mank.

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

I honestly can't beleive they're holding it this year. This has to be the worst field in... ever? 

I'm not complaining or anything, just feels pretty hollow.

for literally the first time i can remember, i've not seen a single movie in any category 😕 

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I absolutely loved it on every level. 

On the other hand, being that it didn't have any explosions, people fighting other people in an airplane that's about to crash, weird space aliens etc... I can see how some people might not like it.

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

On 3/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I absolutely loved it on every level. 

On the other hand, being that it didn't have any explosions, people fighting other people in an airplane that's about to crash, weird space aliens etc... I can see how some people might not like it.

Same page with this take. I won't go that extreme but I get why people wouldn't like it. I listened to the pop culture happy hour discussion before watching and was a little concerned it was going spend too much time on the amazon relationship with these people, but I'm glad it didn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I streamed Minari on APrime this weekend. Thought the acting was outstanding, especially granny.

Just as I was getting into the story, boom, it ended.  WTF. It needed at least another 20/30 minutes to flesh out the storyline.

Maybe it's an indie film thing, take a snapshot of something and not be too on the nose, but I was disappointed.

22 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Just as I was getting into the story, boom, it ended.  WTF. It needed at least another 20/30 minutes to flesh out the storyline.

Maybe it's an indie film thing, take a snapshot of something and not be too on the nose, but I was disappointed.

I felt like that when the credits came up on Sound Of Metal. I mean, I get it but I wanted a little bit more. Riz Ahmed was awesome.