Creation of 01/06 Commission stalls in the House

Satchel

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Does he have any idea just how silly he sounds and how much Republicans are laughing at his dumb butt?

But what is Manchin's thinking behind using such extreme rhetoric about the filibuster...the kind of inflammatory shit that he won't be able to walk back...unless he truly is a lost cause who won't budge.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

One thing I'm betting those other women know how to do is freeze out a lone rogue who didn't bother to do any work for the group assignment. Get Whiteboard Porter and figure out whatever skill sets needed and swamp those bastids like Elle Wood going after the ammonium thygocolate.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. 

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I am aware. I am also aware that the Democratic women interested in getting something done will figure this out. I trust them to do the right thing no matter what obstacles they have placed in front of them.

I wish I could agree but they have done fuck all so far.

Exhibit A has been around for two hundred fucking years already:

4B30029E-EB89-4FBC-BDD7-84F25B93FDEE.thumb.jpeg.0db29de22f1612efc40236f56252df24.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wish I could agree but they have done fuck all so far.

Exhibit A has been around for two hundred fucking years already:

4B30029E-EB89-4FBC-BDD7-84F25B93FDEE.thumb.jpeg.0db29de22f1612efc40236f56252df24.jpeg

Her time has come and gone as well. I am looking at Warren and many of the young firebrands in the House. The younger generation will be the ones to right the ship and it’ll be women leading the way. I saw too many bright and intelligent women speaking last summer at dozens of protests in DC and NYC to think otherwise. The younger generation just gets it and they aren’t going to wait for actions to begin on the terms of a generation that just sits in a sandbox arguing all day because they do not have the capability to move things forward due to a lack of leadership.

I would have put Warren in charge of the senate. She is one of the few older members who would be getting stuff done if she was fully in charge. In the house I would have Porter in control along with Cortez. They would not tolerate the blatant obstruction taking place.

• Hook 'Em 2

A few years from now we'll all be in a trench and UpperWestside will be waxing poetic about the Democratic women coming to save us and at that moment Brisket will have an aneurysm and die, then the whistle will blow and the rest of us will run towards the Maga machine guns

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

A few years from now we'll all be in a trench and UpperWestside will be waxing poetic about the Democratic women coming to save us and at that moment Brisket will have an aneurysm and die, then the whistle will blow and the rest of us will run towards the Maga machine guns

I just see a lack of evidence that the men will get things done. I try to direct my attention towards people who have a positive mindset and actually want to get things done. The toxic negativity I see here regularly is just not healthy and does no good for anyone posting it. It doesn’t make me think less of the people who post it. Man of them are posters I agree with on a variety of things. I will not be negative or pessimistic just for the sake of fitting in.

If there were a group of men that were young and vocal and came as prepared for their jobs as the women do I would be glad to add them into the mix. Ted Lieu would be one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I just see a lack of evidence that the men will get things done. I try to direct my attention towards people who have a positive mindset and actually want to get things done. The toxic negativity I see here regularly is just not healthy and does no good for anyone posting it. It doesn’t make me think less of the people who post it. Man of them are posters I agree with on a variety of things. I will not be negative or pessimistic just for the sake of fitting in.

If there were a group of men that were young and vocal and came as prepared for their jobs as the women do I would be glad to add them into the mix. Ted Lieu would be one. 

I don’t think the argument is that the women aren’t our best hope. I think it’s that they don’t have the power to make it happen. I think it’s over. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t think the argument is that the women aren’t our best hope. I think it’s that they don’t have the power to make it happen. I think it’s over. 

Never give up hope, but I agree about the power. It would take massive groups similar to last summer perhaps, but the potential for violence would be so great, that the unpredictable would give pause.

I don't usually watch cable news but I specifically tuned in to Chris Hayes last night because Ruth Ben Ghiat was appearing for a quick segment. That was something she remarked upon: the enormous amount of weaponry possessed in this country by citizens makes it hard to predict. In other countries, that just isn't the same situation. That there are militia groups here, as oafish as they may appear, is an advantage simply due to being able to form cohesive groups. How many houses would someone need to visit with a little group (with police/sheriff backing in some areas) before folks got intimidated?

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

The vote today was 54-35. Is there another place in the democratic world wherein 35 votes trump 54 votes, other than the US Senate?

Well, we did wait four days to see if the guy that got 8 million more votes than the other guy won or not.

• Like 1

This shit is why I'm firmly on the ledge now. It's simply unsustainable for a democracy. It's damned near impossible for Democrats to gain or hold the Senate with the shitty white states no one lives in getting as much representation. And this time we did it (I say "we" as those who oppose the party of autocracy), and it was a fucking Herculean effort combined with some luck and Trump's abject stupidity and incompetence. But even then, a majority Senate vote isn't enough for the party who has to overcome every fucking obstacle like Senate, Electoral College, voter suppression, and R gerrymandering that SCOTUS says is all good. And 2 who are "on our side" won't do the one rules thing so that anything can get done by the party that has a massive more amount of popular support than the other party but is likely to lose out next time around due to said institutional obstacles. 

So what's the point? If D leadership can't or won't whip the Synemas and Manchins in line like Mitch seems quite able to do, we're done. Quite simply done as a democracy. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

This shit is why I'm firmly on the ledge now. It's simply unsustainable for a democracy. It's damned near impossible for Democrats to gain or hold the Senate with the shitty white states no one lives in getting as much representation. And this time we did it (I say "we" as those who oppose the party of autocracy), and it was a fucking Herculean effort combined with some luck and Trump's abject stupidity and incompetence. But even then, a majority Senate vote isn't enough for the party who has to overcome every fucking obstacle like Senate, Electoral College, voter suppression, and R gerrymandering that SCOTUS says is all good. And 2 who are "on our side" won't do the one rules thing so that anything can get done by the party that has a massive more amount of popular support than the other party but is likely to lose out next time around due to said institutional obstacles. 

So what's the point? If D leadership can't or won't whip the Synemas and Manchins in line like Mitch seems quite able to do, we're done. Quite simply done as a democracy. 

As trite as it sounds, we really are at an inflection point. Dems must take a cue from the GOP playbook by wielding power ruthlessly and not giving two damns about who doesn’t like it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Perhaps some reflection is due here. You seem to feel that Democratic representation is maxed out at a 50/50 Senate and minimal House majority. This despite the fact that they have almost complete control of traditional media, social media, higher education and the entertainment industry. Something about your policies and message is not landing. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

Perhaps some reflection is due here. You seem to feel that Democratic representation is maxed out at a 50/50 Senate and minimal House majority. This despite the fact that they have almost complete control of traditional media, social media, higher education and the entertainment industry. Something about your policies and message is not landing. 

Did you not read his post?

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/thursday-may-27-scoreboard-tucker-carlson-hannity-lead-fox-news-to-no-1/479694/

https://www.mediaite.com/premium/fox-news-the-five-dominates-timeslot-and-most-cable-news-shows-in-wednesday-ratings/

b2346174cf3b6354f4c94caac584b2ed.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Did you not read his post?

Yes. The Senate and electoral college have been in place since the beginning. It’s the system. Complaining about it does nothing.  

Winning elections solves everything. How do Dems do that?

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Please. Fox News gets great ratings partly because it’s the only big conservative outlet. And the fact that conservative pages are most linked on Facebook is only part of the story. Social media companies literally put their thumbs on the scale before the last election in favor of Biden. They also shape discourse in unseen ways via their Algos. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yes. The Senate and electoral college have been in place since the beginning. It’s the system. Complaining about it does nothing.  

Please. Fox News gets great ratings partly because it’s the only big conservative outlet. And the fact that conservative pages are most linked on Facebook is only part of the story. Social media companies literally put their thumbs on the scale before the last election in favor of Biden. They also shape discourse in unseen ways via their Algos. 

So if Dems did it in the last election, are you saying Russia could have done it in the previous in favor of Trump? 

41 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How adorable you pretending that you don't know damn well that right wing misinformation and conspiracies spread exponentially faster and farther than left wing bullshit on social media. It's the GOP's entire platform.

...while simultaneously whining about being censored, cancelled, and having their speech silenced by big tech, of course.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How adorable you pretending that you don't know damn well that right wing misinformation and conspiracies spread exponentially faster and farther than left wing bullshit on social media. It's the GOP's entire platform.

...while simultaneously whining about being censored, cancelled, and having their speech silenced by big tech, of course.

That’s what they do.  

• Like 1

He also claims to have never heard of MTG or any of her incendiary rhetoric & lies. He only discovered her last week due to the thread in CR.

So read all of his posts with your Troll Sensor properly calibrated.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ignore the troll. Jesus, how many years does it have to go on before you learn that simple internet rule? 

Here's the thing, I don't think he is a troll. They really do just believe these crazy things. They bought into the Fox News narrative years ago and that set millions of people to go down a certain path where "both sides", "whataboutism", "identity politics", "fake news", racism only against whites, etc are the prisms they view every issue thru. 

I've seen this same behavior in family members who are otherwise very intelligent and capable. But once you really challenge them, their arguments fall apart because they are solely propped up on feelings and paranoia they've been taught to embrace; not some objective truth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Here's the thing, I don't think he is a troll. They really do just believe these crazy things. They bought into the Fox News narrative years ago and that set millions of people to go down a certain path where "both sides", "whataboutism", "identity politics", "fake news", racism only against whites, etc are the prisms they view every issue thru. 

I've seen this same behavior in family members who are otherwise very intelligent and capable. But once you really challenge them, their arguments fall apart because they are solely propped up on feelings and paranoia they've been taught to embrace; not some objective truth. 

Win more elections and you can pass whatever you want (Like Obamacare). If you’re having trouble winning enough elections then some reflection is warranted. That’s an objective truth. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

6 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Even after their arguments fall apart they continue to dig in and defend those bullshit arguments. They are beyond saving. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

Win more elections and you can pass whatever you want (Like Obamacare). If you’re having trouble winning enough elections then some reflection is warranted. That’s an objective truth. 

The objective truth is that one party has been working to suppress the vote for decades because they know their base is too small to win elections. Also, stacking the courts by breaking precedent they themselves set. All things to control the government outside of winning elections. 

25 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

What’s the difference if they’re really stupid or just playing stupid? The two states are logically equivalent so you can and should treat them the same.

Shaggy/Surly is and has been an all-you-can-eat buffet for trolls and I’ve seen many of them feasting for years. And people keep feeding them while accomplishing nothing other than amplifying their idiocy.

’Oh, but we can’t let the stupid things they say go unchecked!’ Yes you can. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What’s the difference if they’re really stupid or just playing stupid? The two states are logically equivalent so you can and should treat them the same.

Shaggy/Surly is an has been an all-you-can-eat buffet for trolls and I’ve seen many of them feasting for years. And people keep feeding them while accomplishing nothing other than amplifying their idiocy.

I’ve said nothing stupid here today.  It’s all true so it hurts feelings a bit. Introspection is hard. 

• Fuck You 9

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Shaggy/Surly is an has been an all-you-can-eat buffet for trolls and I’ve seen many of them feasting for years. And people keep feeding them while accomplishing nothing other than amplifying their idiocy.

Fair, at a level. I'm not looking to reach those, I'm looking to challenge them for those that are lurking and trying to understand issues. There are those who would buy into the troll narrative if the troll narative goes unchecked. 

34 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So, surely, even more reflection is warranted for not being able to win enough elections with literally every system advantage rigged in your favor--the electoral college, gerrymandering, voter suppression, South Dakota having the same representation in the Senate as California, judges, the filibuster--and having 75% of white voters over the age of 50 inflicted with Fox and Facebook brain worms where they believe literally anything that includes the words "socialism" or "radical left."

So why are the GOP's messaging and policies so fucking unappealing?

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Fair, at a level. I'm not looking to reach those, I'm looking to challenge them for those that are lurking and trying to understand issues. There are those who would buy into the troll narrative if the troll narative goes unchecked. 

Or do you just like to hear yourself talk? Because whatever else you think you’re accomplishing by incessantly feeding a troll, you’re not.

The proper way to treat a troll is to just ignore them. I learned that in the 90’s. There’s a reason we have a separate table for the kids during meals on holidays. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Or do you just like to hear yourself talk? Because whatever else you think you’re accomplishing by incessantly feeding a troll, you’re not.

The proper way to treat a troll is to just ignore them. I learned that in the 90’s. There’s a reason we have a separate table for the kids during meals on holidays. 

I just don't view everyone with an opposing view as a troll. I see these people in my family and out in the wild regularly and they just live in a different world. Do you leave them be or engage? I tend to want to engage. You may not. Good for you. But here we are on a message board, a place to engage, so I will. 

I don't think GR is a troll in the context of what message he is trying to sell, but maybe in the way he is trying to sell it.