Creation of 01/06 Commission stalls in the House

Satchel

28 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

They don’t have to publish anything. Keep these traitorous fucks in the news cycle for the next 18 months. Death by a thousand cuts

Yeah exactly.  I'm not sure there was ever an official report about 100 different things Republicans decided to "Investigate."  I know they would get to the end of an investigation, not find anything they wanted to find and then close that investigation down and immediately start a new one into the same thing or something very very similar.  The report wasn't the deliverable, the daily damage in the news cycle was the deliverable.  Dems should be following that model.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Can someone please explain to me in a manner befitting a 5YO exactly why this hasn’t already happened given the balance of power?!

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills... the fact this didn’t start on Day 1 is simply maddening!

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, yes... all of that is plain. What I’m after is how in the fuck the DOJ or any aspect of government controlled by Democrats hasn’t kicked off a thorough investigation of those in government connected with the insurrection.

I get the GOP filibustering a commission, but that doesn’t stop Biden from setting up a Blue Ribbon himself.

All of this theatre is a fucking joke - There is no negotiating with these traitors... just go after them!

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, very basic question.  On January 6, 2021, a group of seditionists attacked the US Government.  Why do we need Congress to vote on anything.   Shouldn't some executive branch unit just go off and investigate whatever they need to with subpoena power, and then write up a report, and present it to the President, who can then present it to Congress before one of their committees?  At that point, Congress can decide if some sort of independent commission is needed.

Why doesn't the Department of Homeland Security just do what seems like it should be its fucking job?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

This is basically a highly intelligent board. Even our resident assholes like the sack and whatever swam is posting as nowadays are at least somewhat intelligent. Even if political morons.

It has become time for many of us to analyze what happened to Germany in the 20s and 30s and figure out how to prevent that from happening here now. Because the republicans have made their plans laid clear. They are totally opposed to majority rule. Because they know they are in the minority. Simply put. They must be stopped.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Let's see if we can find the 10 votes needed. Here are the 7 that voted to impeach. 

1. Burr (R-NC)
  2. Cassidy (R-LA)
  3. Collins (R-ME)
  4. Murkowski (R-AK)
  5. Romney (R-UT)
  6. Sasse (R-NE)
  7. Tomey (R-PA)

Here are the 43 that voted not guilty. I tried to cross out the hard no people

Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Capito (R-WV)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)

Grassely (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Shelby (R-AL)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

You can go ahead and cross Daines' name out, too.

6 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

This is basically a highly intelligent board. Even our resident assholes like the sack and whatever swam is posting as nowadays are at least somewhat intelligent. Even if political morons.

It has become time for many of us to analyze what happened to Germany in the 20s and 30s and figure out how to prevent that from happening here now. Because the republicans have made their plans laid clear. They are totally opposed to majority rule. Because they know they are in the minority. Simply put. They must be stopped.

You may wish to participate in the following if you're able to today. There is a free component and Ben-Ghiat is one of the best out there when it comes to this topic:

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit to add--I am not sure why Ben-Ghiat is not more well known. She does appear as a guest on some of the news shows, but she has two disadvantages: she's female and she's soft-spoken. Few listen to the quiet ones but they often are the most observant...
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

How the hell do we know whey there were Nazis?  We don't even know how the can opener works.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

They are totally opposed to majority rule. Because they know they are in the minority. Simply put. They must be stopped.

I know it sounds pie in the sky, but my recommended is 90% surly shitposting, 10% participation in elections to elect reasonable politicians.  I like my state rep and state senator (John Turner and Nathan Johnson).  If you don't like yours, help to drive them out.  What means block walking and dollar$.

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Yes, yes... all of that is plain. What I’m after is how in the fuck the DOJ or any aspect of government controlled by Democrats hasn’t kicked off a thorough investigation of those in government connected with the insurrection.

I get the GOP filibustering a commission, but that doesn’t stop Biden from setting up a Blue Ribbon himself.

All of this theatre is a fucking joke - There is no negotiating with these traitors... just go after them!

9 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Okay, very basic question.  On January 6, 2021, a group of seditionists attacked the US Government.  Why do we need Congress to vote on anything.   Shouldn't some executive branch unit just go off and investigate whatever they need to with subpoena power, and then write up a report, and present it to the President, who can then present it to Congress before one of their committees?  At that point, Congress can decide if some sort of independent commission is needed.

Why doesn't the Department of Homeland Security just do what seems like it should be its fucking job?

That's the plan after this fails. Dems preferred a bipartisan commission, I guess based on the belief that it would have more credibility, particularly with the Rs. But it's foolish to think the average R would pay even the slightest attention to the investigation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

That's the plan after this fails. Dems preferred a bipartisan commission, I guess based on the belief that it would have more credibility, particularly with the Rs. But it's foolish to think the average R would pay even the slightest attention to the investigation. 

Each time Biden or Congressional Dems go for bipartisan and get rebuffed, polling shows the blame is being placed on the Republicans by the public.  Just keep hammering on their obstruction and willing to put aside their animosity for the good of the country. 

If it continues to peel off some independents and lean R voters, great. But polling doesn’t show Biden, Pelosi or Schumer shouldering blame.  Polling shows a fractured, pissy GOP is making non-loyal R voters disgusted. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Polling shows a fractured, pissy GOP is making non-loyal R voters disgusted. 

Fortunately for the GQP, they are well underway to ensuring that "non-loyal R voters" have a much hard time actually being voters.  It's a two prong strategy: suppress the vote to make the divide between extremist GQP and the rest of the country look smaller than it is, and then use false narratives (e.g., the Big Lie) to justify extra-electoral action to seize power.

It's a good plan.  It's a proven winner.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Each time Biden or Congressional Dems go for bipartisan and get rebuffed, polling shows the blame is being placed on the Republicans by the public.  Just keep hammering on their obstruction and willing to put aside their animosity for the good of the country. 

If it continues to peel off some independents and lean R voters, great. But polling doesn’t show Biden, Pelosi or Schumer shouldering blame.  Polling shows a fractured, pissy GOP is making non-loyal R voters disgusted. 

That's a pleasant surprise. The other day I heard about a poll where something like 50% of Rs credited the GOP for Biden's Rescue Plan even though not a single fucking one of them voted for it. I'm sure most of those are pure Trumpers and unreachable, but the staggering ignorance of a large chunk of the electorate is a humongous roadblock to our democracy functioning rationally. 

33 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

That's a pleasant surprise. The other day I heard about a poll where something like 50% of Rs credited the GOP for Biden's Rescue Plan even though not a single fucking one of them voted for it. I'm sure most of those are pure Trumpers and unreachable, but the staggering ignorance of a large chunk of the electorate is a humongous roadblock to our democracy functioning rationally. 

hopefully a large swath of them dies in the next decade. one thing is for sure, the younger generation is not buying into GQP bullshit

On 5/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, NWBuck said:

Shit, Republicans keep bitching about the lack of investigation into BLM/Antifa riots last year, just give them that. 

They’ve already got it. Simple vandalism and looting falls under the jurisdiction of the local police agencies where those crimes are committed. It’s not like Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi was telling people to go raid a Foot Locker.

• Hook 'Em 2

What you don’t understand is that Hillary Clinton will never be President!!!

In seriousness, props to you all who are able to continue discussing this. The R’s concerted strategy of avoiding accountability and denying reality sickens but doesn’t surprise me. I don’t know how many times and ways to say ‘we’re in a really dark place and the light’s getting dimmer’. Hope never dies, though. I hope.

52 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

That's because pretty much every GOP rep and senator that voted against it immediately started messaging how great it was to their voters, giving the impression that they'd voted for it, and the Dems did nothing to counter that messaging.

Democrats think everyone is always paying attention and that they don't have to sell their accomplishments. So the real ignorance problem isn't with the electorate, but with the political party that can't figure out how politics works.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They’ve already got it. Simple vandalism and looting falls under the jurisdiction of the local police agencies where those crimes are committed. It’s not like Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi was telling people to go raid a Foot Locker.

Exactly. And if there are allegations of local corruption and conspiracy, the states can police that. Except for isolated violations of federal laws (e.g., vandalizing a federal building), it's only a federal matter if there were violations of constitutional rights, and if there were any they definitely weren't significant enough to warrant a congressional investigation. 

Not to mention that we already know pretty much all the facts about the riots. What the hell would congress investigate? 

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Democrats think the Republicans will act like grownups and play nice with them?

Republicans bargain in bad faith to slow down the process and then, predictably vote no. Dems need to stop wasting time with them.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Republicans bargain in bad faith to slow down the process and then, predictably vote no. Dems need to stop wasting time with them.

Dems should never have wasted time on a commission.  They should have investigated hard through executive agencies until the Republicans tried to stop them.  And THEN the issue of a bipartisan commission could have come up as a compromise (so that Republicans wouldn't feel butthurt).

I'm all for payback but only after I'm convinced that this Administration is putting efficiency first, and payback second.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Dems should never have wasted time on a commission.  They should have investigated hard through executive agencies until the Republicans tried to stop them. 

They may not have been confident that some of those agencies were free of any burrowed plants from the former Administration.

Just in case anyone thought those GQP votes were all because of preserving democratic principles. I present the just asking questions because we all know how this is going to go (SEE: Impeachment Inquiry by the House Permanent Committee on Intelligence circa 2019). 🤮

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

I don't care what form it takes. I just want to see some sort of congressional hearing where Mike Pence is under oath answering questions about the events of January 6th. Because that stupid motherfucker doesn't always know his ass from a hole in the ground, but he is absolutely sincere in his faith, and will not lie. Other Republicans may confuse "Trump" and "God", but Pence doesn't, and he won't lie under oath.

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't care what form it takes. I just want to see some sort of congressional hearing where Mike Pence is under oath answering questions about the events of January 6th. Because that stupid motherfucker doesn't always know his ass from a hole in the ground, but he is absolutely sincere in his faith, and will not lie. Other Republicans may confuse "Trump" and "God", but Pence doesn't, and he won't lie under oath.

That’s adorable.  He will lie his ass off to protect the guy that tried to have him killed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I have no reason to believe that Pence wouldn’t lie under oath. He’s as phony as Sarah Palin. He’s just been peddling his bullshit longer. A true believer would act with more humility. He stood there and lied repeatedly to Americans about the availability of COVID testing, assuring me I could get tested when I couldn’t get tested if I tried. I know his type. Don’t be fooled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

hopefully a large swath of them dies in the next decade. one thing is for sure, the younger generation is not buying into GQP bullshit

Not in the rural areas.  The bulk of the youth is falling in line with their elders on this.

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Dems are the abused wife that thinks they can change their husband after just one more beating.

And just like those situations, each beating is usually more severe than the last.  It's like they need to test the limits of their power.   Once the wife has endured several beatings without reporting him, he figures he has unlimited power, and every assault has to wound deeper than the last one to make an impression.   

It's the bully mentality.  Not bright enough to solve any problems, but sufficiently powerful to block anyone else from solving anything.

I think the Dems had to go for this commission to put a spotlight on the hypocrisy of the Trump enablers.    They probably figured they wouldn't be interested in real investigation/justice, but had to give them enough rope to hang themselves.  

If they would have gone on with the investigations in whatever fashion without at least asking the Republicans for their input, they'd have been crucified as authoritarians, breaking democracy, etc.

Now they can move on.  They gave the right the chance to do the right thing, and they failed, as expected.  

• Like 1

If you're going to stop the rise, you've got to turn the tide and sentiment away from supporting violence, accepting violence, and so on. We've become inured to it and death over recent events and that is intentional. Fascism is by nature violent and oppressive and wants its people to not only give up hope, but think this is the way it should be. But, how many of you would turn away if you saw a man punching a woman and his children? Would you say, 'well they must have deserved that?' The civil rights and Vietnam war movements turned the tide when Americans refused to turn away from brutality.

Democratic leadership and Americans in general must turn this tide by speaking out, stepping up, and stepping in to stop it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Senator Harris GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Reminds me of the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes where the Reverend Scroggins lies on the stand to protect Idgie and Big George and then it's revealed that he was using a copy of Shakespeare when he was sworn in.

Yeah except Pence was probably using one of these.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Oh, you sweet summer child.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not in the rural areas.  The bulk of the youth is falling in line with their elders on this.

They aren't being radicalized by Fox News and the like though, unlike their elders, and they've also haven't been subjecting themselves to that for the last 30 years.

They'd rather be on social media, playing video games, streaming music or the latest movies or binge-worthy TV or whatever.

The youth are liable to listen to some dipshit "influencer" on Youtube or Instagram, rather than their old man railing about Biden coming for his guns or money or whatever.  Their elders have been babbling about the same shit since they were little kids, but they are more interested in whatever the new trends or memes or whatever are.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They aren't being radicalized by Fox News and the like though, unlike their elders, and they've also haven't been subjecting themselves to that for the last 30 years.

They'd rather be on social media, playing video games, streaming music or the latest movies or binge-worthy TV or whatever.

The youth are liable to listen to some dipshit "influencer" on Youtube or Instagram, rather than their old man railing about Biden coming for his guns or money or whatever.  Their elders have been babbling about the same shit since they were little kids, but they are more interested in whatever the new trends or memes or whatever are.

The youths are not watching foxnews and the one percent is terrified by that fact. It’s why they are doing whatever they can to limit their vote. But frankly it’s too late.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

The youths are not watching foxnews and the one percent is terrified by that fact. It’s why they are doing whatever they can to limit their vote. But frankly it’s too late.

And it's not just that they aren't watching that crap, it's that they genuinely aren't being affected by Biden winning in the way that their elders are claiming they would be.

As I said though, the elders have 30 years of being indoctrinated into this shit through talk radio and Fox News.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it's not just that they aren't watching that crap, it's that they genuinely aren't being affected by Biden winning in the way that their elders are claiming they would be.

As I said though, the elders have 30 years of being indoctrinated into this shit through talk radio and Fox News.

2020 was the last presidential year that the the olds including the baby boomers would hold sway tied with the millienials. That’s why I said generation x would break the tie and we did. Although barely because I guess that’s our style. We never mattered until then.

Going forward the millennials will determine the outcome and the republicans know this which is why they are desperately trying to minimize voting. The millennials aren’t on their side and they know it and they are about to be the dominant voting block starting in 2024. 

The republicans know they are fucked which is why they’ve turned to anti democracy nazism as their platform. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Just because they’re consuming their misinformation on social media now instead of cable news or AM radio isn’t going to change anything. If anything, it might get worse, especially after 40 years of the Republican assault on science and education. Don’t get your hopes up.

• Rage+1 4