Creation of 01/06 Commission stalls in the House

Satchel

20 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not in the rural areas.  The bulk of the youth is falling in line with their elders on this.

And just like those situations, each beating is usually more severe than the last.  It's like they need to test the limits of their power.   Once the wife has endured several beatings without reporting him, he figures he has unlimited power, and every assault has to wound deeper than the last one to make an impression.   

It's the bully mentality.  Not bright enough to solve any problems, but sufficiently powerful to block anyone else from solving anything.

I think the Dems had to go for this commission to put a spotlight on the hypocrisy of the Trump enablers.    They probably figured they wouldn't be interested in real investigation/justice, but had to give them enough rope to hang themselves.  

If they would have gone on with the investigations in whatever fashion without at least asking the Republicans for their input, they'd have been crucified as authoritarians, breaking democracy, etc.

Now they can move on.  They gave the right the chance to do the right thing, and they failed, as expected.  

Yep, at least as trumpy as their parents.  And, truth be told, young, rural females are more trumpy than the males.  Rural America is all-in on totalitarianism. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just because they’re consuming their misinformation on social media now instead of cable news or AM radio isn’t going to change anything. If anything, it might get worse, especially after 40 years of the Republican assault on science and education. Don’t get your hopes up.

This is sad, but I believe more accurate.

Soapbox rant incoming....

Journalism/mass communication instruction got a little blindsided by rapid advances in technology. While some higher ed folded that into 'communication' departments, others folded their journo type schools. From K-12 to higher ed, learning how to assess information is at an all time low. The internet has every commentator calling themselves a 'reporter,' but in the past that was understood as having a common set of ethics/standards. It was what kept the tabloid sex with an alien stories separate from fact-based or thoroughly researched investigative pieces. Combine that with the assault of 'FAKE' and it's how you get the TikTok, YouTube, videographer types that sell their carefully edited screeds as 'news.' Folks can gripe about left bias all they want, but honestly there is more money to make on the extreme and center right outlets and that makes sense: they don't fact-check as much, the political machine that they align with runs on fear, and violence sells.

When the pandemic hit, you all saw how numerous the non-scientists, the grifters, and the pseudo-scientists sucked all the oxygen out of the discussion of an emerging novel virus. They filled the void with so much erroneous and disinformation that everyone was lost. There was a guy with a PhD in chemistry who had a Facebook page and used his Dr title in a way that funnily enough people were screaming at the First Lady about, except he was running around telling everyone that the virus would (ahem) be gone by April. This was in 2020. He had to take his page private by July of last year. Someone had sent me a link from his page in March of 2020 during the lockdowns wanting me to comment on this guy and at that time, he had charts and figures and all that supposedly supporting his claims. Smoke and mirrors. But it is easy to see how people get swayed.

When you have that loss, that inability to examine and know. To really know, it comes down to trust; something that has been discussed on this forum many many times. Who do these young people trust? In my opinion, that is the crux of the problem/issue and whomever wins their trust, that is who determines the outcome. It's not looking great on some fronts, but in others it is.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

They don't get it from Fox News; they get it from church.

That and home school curricula is a bubble unto itself. Most rural students aren't from home school families, and home school experiences vary but some of the homeschool parents have a large misunderstanding of what they think is sufficient when it comes to education.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just because they’re consuming their misinformation on social media now instead of cable news or AM radio isn’t going to change anything. If anything, it might get worse, especially after 40 years of the Republican assault on science and education. Don’t get your hopes up.

Like their parents they are too busy trying to be popular to actually spend any time seeking truths about politics.  I would daresay the youths of today are more brainwashed than boomers were at that age.    That whole being popular thing is really important out in the rural areas to all ages.   There isn't a big pool to draw your friends from and many people do a lot of going along to get along.  Tie that to the richer people in the community are often those who run things like the school and places of employment, and it's not hard to understand why people and kids follow their lead.  

It's different in smaller rural communities than the larger urban and suburban areas.  

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

They don't get it from Fox News; they get it from church.

And from their schools.  Since they are smaller schools, they can often break rules without much worry of being called for it.   Just like having some bible thumper for a coach or band director.  A prayer before every practice.  It all ties back to that small community mindset.  And that mindset gets more ingrained and illogical with every passing generation.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

And that mindset gets more ingrained and illogical with every passing generation.  

You ever hear that humorous old family tradition anecdote about cooking the whole ham? Daughter is preparing to cook the big dinner ham for relatives. Her mother comes in the kitchen and watches as her daughter slices off about six inches from one end and sets it aside before placing the rest of the ham in a large pan.

"Honey, why did you do that?" Mom asks daughter.

"That's what you always do, Mom. I've watched you."

"Sweetheart, I only cut off the end of the ham because we only had a small roaster and it wouldn't fit."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

but some of the homeschool parents have a large misunderstanding of what they think is sufficient when it comes to education.

No they don't.  They know exactly what they are doing, which is why they are homeschooling in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No they don't.  They know exactly what they are doing, which is why they are homeschooling in the first place.

This is why Liberty U and their ilk are booming, to have a place those homeschooling creationists have a place to send their progeny for higher degrees.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is why Liberty U and their ilk are booming, to have a place those homeschooling creationists have a place to send their progeny for higher degrees.

Isn't a higher degree for a flat earth creationist a straight line?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sen. Mitt Romney warned Republicans they would be blamed for hiding the truth if they block a bill to investigate the January 6 Capitol attack, as another GOP senator announced her support for advancing a plan that their colleagues are poised to filibuster on Thursday.

"I think the perception is on the part of the public that the January 6 Commission just trying to get to the truth of what happened, and that Republicans would be seen as not wanting to let the truth come out," Romney told CNN on Wednesday. "I don't believe that's what's the motivation but I think that's the perception."

giphy.gif

Well no fuckin shit, Mittens. But even when he's knows that's the actual motivation, he wimps out with his  qualifier at the end so his colleagues  won't be too mean to him. spineless pussy.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Senator Cruz has mentioned he hasn't "received" the meeting request yet. Yeah right Ted, you fat fecking coward.

Uh oh. This spells trouble for pieces of shit like Cancun Cruz and his fellow traitors. How to respond to this? It’s tough to be a scumbag in response to or ignore, a mother of a dead cop who did nothing wrong except die by the insurrection you inspired. 

I for one will be curious to see scumbag Ted’s response to this.

His mother should make this fact known to all of them:

Sicknick was a Trump supporter, his father said. While his parents avoided talking politics with their son, his family said Sicknick’s political views never interfered with his duty to protect and serve.

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

His mother should make this fact known to all of them:

Sicknick was a Trump supporter, his father said. While his parents avoided talking politics with their son, his family said Sicknick’s political views never interfered with his duty to protect and serve.

Trump does not care if his supporters die for him. He cares for nobody but himself. That what narcissistic assholes like Trump do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ted has a starring role.

Like I said, despite the misspelling, traitors.

This should be repeated a million times. These people need to go to prison for crimes against the United States since they are attempting to destroy the county. 

• Like 3

Can we as a forum quit posting the “we promise we’re better than the idiots” internet videos? No actual Republicans see these Twitter videos and it gets Republican consultants rich while spending money on campaigns against the people who have no chance of losing. A lot of you were duped to give money to Lincoln Project last cycle to fleece the pockets of these people who only disagree with the mouth breathers on the marketing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

If we allow it to happen it is our fault. We have the experience of what the secessionists did before the civil war. We have the experience of what the white supremacists did before imposing Jim Crow. We have the experience of what the Nazis did in Germany based on a big lie that the Jews falsely caused them to lose the Great War. None of this is surprising. What the republicans are doing to the country right now at this exact moment has happened before both in this country and in Germany and we all can see where it led. Death and destruction. Don’t let them succeed. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If we allow it to happen it is our fault. We have the experience of what the secessionists did before the civil war. We have the experience of what the white supremacists did before imposing Jim Crow. We have the experience of what the Nazis did in Germany based on a big lie that the Jews falsely caused them to lose the Great War. None of this is surprising. What the republicans are doing to the country right now at this exact moment has happened before both in this country and in Germany and we all can see where it led. Death and destruction. Don’t let them succeed. 

All In in ‘22.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think they know what the results of an investigation would be. The reason the warnings from the FBI about the attack didn’t reach the Capitol police and the reason it took so long for National Guard troops to arrive on the scene were due to obstruction by Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think what infuriates me the most about ole Turtle's comments is that this can drag into 2022 which is an election year. Fuck it being an election year. Anyone found to have been complicit (and there are definitely a few Senators and Members of the House who were) should be charged with treason and ineligble to run.  Fuck the Turtle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think what infuriates me the most about ole Turtle's comments is that this can drag into 2022 which is an election year. Fuck it being an election year. Anyone found to have been complicit (and there are definitely a few Senators and Members of the House who were) should be charged with treason and ineligble to run.  Fuck the Turtle.

I am going to forego listening to him because there is nothing worth hearing from him anymore. Set up a commission with or without any of the death cult participating and find out who committed treason. I mean we have some obvious ones who did, but let’s see what all the evidence says about others who did. There is no reason to allow this to continue to drag out. The Democrats have got to take a hard line on actions like this and stamp it out of our politics.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The Democrats have got to take a hard line on actions like this and stamp it out of our politics.

I fear we need to get ready for disappointment. I think the biggest thing that has been shown out of the entire shit show that the GQP has become is that the Dems don’t seem to understand the rules of the game. Or rather that there are no rules. Rational people can see what is happening. My conclusion is that the Dems think they are smarter than the game, when in reality, the game radically changed and passed them by. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I fear we need to get ready for disappointment. I think the biggest thing that has been shown out of the entire shit show that the GQP has become is that the Dems don’t seem to understand the rules of the game. Or rather that there are no rules. Rational people can see what is happening. My conclusion is that the Dems think they are smarter than the game, when in reality, the game radically changed and passed them by. 

They don't want to risk their own careers to do what's right. Career longevity and all that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  The game is "win."  That's it.  That's the entire game, and the entirety of the rules.  Time to fucking play.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Stay positive. You can keep in the back of your mind the possibility that this willl go sideways, but let’s keep an open mind and see how this plays out. Biden needs to direct them to get moving. This cannot be business as usual. Show some gumption and take a stand. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Why is it a personal mission for Mitch to stop this?  

Because he said back in 1987 how he will approach everything. Everything he does is to obstruct anything a Democratic administration and Congress wants to get done. That is it. Well that and likely a slew of traitorous acts will come to light. 

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Stay positive. You can keep in the back of your mind the possibility that this willl go sideways, but let’s keep an open mind and see how this plays out. Biden needs to direct them to get moving. This cannot be business as usual. Show some gumption and take a stand. 

Sure, but what has shown you it will be anything BUT business as usual?

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think what infuriates me the most about ole Turtle's comments is that this can drag into 2022 which is an election year. Fuck it being an election year.

He has run that play twice already at minimum. Impeachment & SCOTUS appts.

When a Party knows what the play is going to be, then one doesn't call a damn timeout, one runs the hurry up offense and takes the ball right into their end zone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, JimmyJames said:

The republicans do not want the truth to come out because they are complicent in the treason.

No shit--Democrats are asking Republicans for permission to investigate themselves and Republicans won't comply.  Nothing to see here gif.

Edited by Mdhorn

Because he knows there are a lot of people who were in on it, including Trump. He only wants to gain back control of the Senate. Fuck anything else.

Also, when the Democrats decide to go ahead and investigate this on their own, Mitch and the Republicans can label any findings as partisan fake news. He will then bash the Democrats for being unwilling to form a bipartisan committee and 40% of the country will accept that version of events as the truth.
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Why is it a personal mission for Mitch to stop this?  

Because he knows once his party is exposed in the investigation, his chance of regaining his top spot in the Senate goes out the window. He can’t stand playing second fiddle.