Creation of 01/06 Commission stalls in the House

Satchel

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

The problem with brisket is he keeps saying these things about America itself when it’s clear that the Republican Party is the fascist entity here and a distinct minority of the population, just like the nazis were. Why he continues to make that assertion without that qualifier is baffling to me. 

When one of your two parties goes fascist, it's only a matter of time until the country does. Especially when there's nothing that party isn't willing to do to get and keep power. The Nazis are a case in point. They were a minority in Germany, but Germany became fascist. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

When one of your two parties goes fascist, it's only a matter of time until the country does. Especially when there's nothing that party isn't willing to do to get and keep power. The Nazis are a case in point. They were a minority in Germany, but Germany became fascist. 

That is simply why the Republican Party cannot, as currently constructed, ever be allowed to take power again because they will quickly and assuredly turn America into nazi Germany. 

It’s an unfortunate and sad truth but undeniable. 

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Can they find 10 senators though?

Per NPR talking head if it dies in the Senate, Pelosi can still appoint a house select subcommittee with subpoena power. She probably won’t though. She needs to go

This is my point. The GQP couldn’t exist without support from over 40% of the country. That’s more than enough when that group decides that votes don’t matter, just seizing power through any means.

13 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Per NPR talking head if it dies in the Senate, Pelosi can still appoint a house select subcommittee with subpoena power. She probably won’t though. She needs to go

Let me spare you the suspense. The answer is no. 

I hope I’m wrong but as Red said, hope is a dangerous thing.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is my point. The GQP couldn’t exist without support from over 40% of the country. That’s more than enough when that group decides that votes don’t matter, just seizing power through any means.

40 over 60 or even over 40 over 41 is not a democracy.

33 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

She will and has indicated she would do just that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Yep. I don’t believe Hitler ever got more than 44% of the vote. And they were the most electorally successful fascist party in history. 

Until 2020, when 47% of Americans voted for a fascist. 

Yay, America. Land of the free! That shining city on a hill! Home of 3 percentage points  more fascism than Nazi Germany!

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. I don’t believe Hitler ever got more than 44% of the vote. And they were the most electorally successful fascist party in history. 

Until 2020, when 47% of Americans voted for a fascist. 

Yay, America. Land of the free! That shining city on a hill! Home of 3 percentage points  more fascism than Nazi Germany!

Too be fair, the nazis didn’t have Facebook. 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

.......and how did that turn out?

40 over 60 or even over 40 over 41 is not a democracy.

You’re either getting my point perfectly, or not getting it at all.

That’s my point: they don’t need a majority. They just need enough support to seize power in spite of not being able to get a majority of the votes. And 40% is plenty.

Creating a Select Committee on 1/6 just might be the way to go. It’s possible to form select subcommittees and investigate the hell out of everything having to do with the Trump led insurrection.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re either getting my point perfectly, or not getting it at all.

That’s my point: they don’t need a majority. They just need enough support to seize power in spite of not being able to get a majority of the votes. And 40% is plenty.

Oh I get it.

We’ve done this before:

Kerner Commission
National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders
Seal of the President of the United States

President Lyndon Baines Johnson with some members of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders (Kerner Commission) in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Washington, D.C.
History
Status Defunct
Established by Lyndon B. Johnson on 28 July 1967
Related Executive Order number(s) 11365
Jurisdiction
Purpose Investigate the causes of a recent outbreak of race riots, with a particular focus on the 1967 Detroit riots.

The National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, known as the Kerner Commission after its chair, Governor Otto Kerner Jr. of Illinois, was an 11-member Presidential Commission established by President Lyndon B. Johnson in Executive Order11365 to investigate the causes of the long, hot summer of 1967 in the United States and to provide recommendations for the future.[1]

The report was released in 1968, after seven months of investigation. For causing the riots, it blamed lack of economic opportunity, failed social service programs, police brutality, racism, and the white-oriented media. The 426-page report was a bestseller

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Pelosi is weaker than Oklahoma beer 

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

She will and has indicated she would do just that.

I think we look only at the surface sometimes. I think the strategy of continually getting the GOPs on the record as blindly defending Trump and now wickedly obstructing a bi-partisan investigation into an insurrection that breached the capitol building will have incremental impact on the GOP's credibility with all but the Trump deadenders.

I'm guessing she knew the bill wouldn't pass the Senate, so she could concede points just to force the GOPs to vote in the Senate.

I don't things happen as simply as we sometimes want to believe.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

The report was released in 1968, after seven months of investigation. For causing the riots, it blamed lack of economic opportunity, failed social service programs, police brutality, racism, and the white-oriented media. The 426-page report was a bestseller

Shit, Republicans keep bitching about the lack of investigation into BLM/Antifa riots last year, just give them that. 

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Give them nothing.

This. Or, states could do it. Except many of the protests were in "Blue" states and the findings would be not unlike the Kerner Commission along with the inclusion of provocateurs from RW groups who explicitly stated a desire to bankrupt urban localities. That wouldn't fit the narrative and makes it more difficult to grandstand in Congress and on Fox News although the GOP would try.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we look only at the surface sometimes. I think the strategy of continually getting the GOPs on the record as blindly defending Trump and now wickedly obstructing a bi-partisan investigation into an insurrection that breached the capitol building will have incremental impact on the GOP's credibility with all but the Trump deadenders.

I'm guessing she knew the bill wouldn't pass the Senate, so she could concede points just to force the GOPs to vote in the Senate.

She got a few dozen Republicans supporting it on the record, which is a few dozen Republicans who will be primaried by Trumpers.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

She got a few dozen Republicans supporting it on the record, which is a few dozen Republicans who will be primaried by Trumpers.  

She's gambling, in my opinion, that the further distillation of the GOP into Trump deadenders will leave them with a hard core 35% of the electorate but not much appeal to the undecided. It's the best gamble, in my uninformed opinion. I'm terrible at political prediction.

Her gamble would also drive former GOPs into the camp of Liz Cheney and the like. Whatever bloc they form will not ever forget that Trump adherents made their party untenable by openly denying reality and avidly lying at every opportunity. The nasty ol' GOP vindictiveness will shift some of its focus on the party of lies (See the Lincoln Project; they've probably been hoping their actions would lead in this direction).

I think the long term implications of her decisions belie the apparent weakness and incompetence attributed to her in the moment.

As always, there's a pretty good chance that I'm wrong. The Dems are traditional bunglers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

That is simply why the Republican Party cannot, as currently constructed, ever be allowed to take power again because they will quickly and assuredly turn America into nazi Germany. 

It’s an unfortunate and sad truth but undeniable. 

They'll take back the Senate at midterms and the White House and House in '24 because the Dems are fucking pussies.

Maybe they wake up when they see the gerrymandering and voter suppression laws give the GQP the Senate in '22 but then it's too late.  Hopefully, I'm wealthy enough to be a Commander in Gilead.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Rage+1 1

Let's see if we can find the 10 votes needed. Here are the 7 that voted to impeach. 

1. Burr (R-NC)
  2. Cassidy (R-LA)
  3. Collins (R-ME)
  4. Murkowski (R-AK)
  5. Romney (R-UT)
  6. Sasse (R-NE)
  7. Tomey (R-PA)

Here are the 43 that voted not guilty. I tried to cross out the hard no people

Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Capito (R-WV)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)

Grassely (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Shelby (R-AL)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

I don't care if the they investigate BLM, Antifa, Pelosi, etc. They will find jack and shit down those roads. But when they go down a few other roads like McCarthy, well, we might learn something. So broaden the scope, by all means. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't care if the they investigate BLM, Antifa, Pelosi, etc. They will find jack and shit down those roads. But when they go down a few other roads like McCarthy, well, we might learn something. So broaden the scope, by all means. 

The point isn't for them to find something. The point is that it would give them the opportunity to bullshit and equivocate. They're good at that kind of shit. They turned Benghazi into a political anchor around Hillary and the entire Democratic party. The Dems should absolutely not give them anything they want.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The point isn't for them to find something. The point is that it would give them the opportunity to bullshit and equivocate. They're good at that kind of shit. They turned Benghazi into a political anchor around Hillary and the entire Democratic party. The Dems should absolutely not give them anything they want.

Broadening it would also bog the commission down and could delay them publishing any potential findings for years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All the really big fuck ups thus far in our lifetime have been courtesy of the GOP and its supporters.  

Don't read Presidential daily briefing about Al Queda wanting to fly planes into buildings... gotta delay, delay, delay any fact finding.  In fact over a year of delays on a commission on 9/11 when the GOP had a majority.

Attacking Iraq who had nothing to do with 9/11?  Sure as shit do not want to investigate that shit show.

Trump Supporters try to overthrow the election via violent invasion of Capitol to stop the electoral college count?  Again the GOP really, really does not want ANY fact finding.

Typical.. GOP fucks up... Doesn't want to know a thing.  Dems fuck up even slightly and years of hearings and smearings....  If the GOP wasn't such scum they might realize the Dems are not the scum they are when it comes to doing right by the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nobody be impressed with all the GOP House members who voted for it

The "why weren't we prepared" tactic has been the approach the GOP Reps have been taking.  This was the statement from my current shitstain Rep. Don Bacon: 

I stand by our law enforcement and the over 140 Capitol Hill Police who were injured on January 6th. We should learn why leadership utterly failed to be prepared that day. Transparency and learning the facts are needed. Finally, we should all agree that whether violence comes from the left or right, we should all denounce it and hold the perpetrators accountable.

1. Say you support the cops. 
  2. Blame the cops for not being prepared for it. 
  3. Be non-specific on where the violence originated. 
21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Broadening it would also bog the commission down and could delay them publishing any potential findings for years.

McConnell has already said no.  This thing isn't going through the Senate.  If I were the Dems, I would absolutely call their bluff.  "You want an investigation into what Pelosi knew?  Sure, why not.  Go ahead and try to blame an 81 year old politician for not adequately directing the police. Any other requests we can accommodate before your party buries this for obvious reasons? I'll give you a fucking pony if you want; you still ain't going to allow it to happen."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

If I were the Dems, I would absolutely call their bluff

Please say this louder.

Be sure and mention the part where the leadership refused to allow aid, delayed in sending aid, and had the Minority Leader call the President so THEY WOULDN'T BE KILLED BY THE TOURISTS.

Because hunting Congresspersons is a heck of a vacation package.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Please say this louder.

Be sure and mention the part where the leadership refused to allow aid, delayed in sending aid, and had the Minority Leader call the President so THEY WOULDN'T BE KILLED BY THE TOURISTS.

Because hunting Congresspersons is a heck of a vacation package.

I believe the preferred nomenclature is 'congress critters.' You see, they're varmints that need to snuffed out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

They don’t have to publish anything. Keep these traitorous fucks in the news cycle for the next 18 months. Death by a thousand cuts

15 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Probably right. She most likely prefers a House Select Committee that could very well run into ‘22.

• Like 1