2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2015 - Won opener, lost 2nd game in KC, Lost to KC in 5.

2017 - Won opener, won game 2. beat Boston in 4.

2018 - Won opener, won game 2, Swept Cleveland.

2019 - Won opener, won game 2, beat Tampa in 5.

2020 - Won opener, won game 2, beat Oakland in 4.

2021 - Won opener ????

6-0 in ALDS Game 1's. 4-1 in game 2's.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Sounds like the team is mad he wasn't around all season.  When Lance had Tommy John surgery, he was still around the team and in the dugout for a lot of games.  It's a different situation as he was for sure going to be an Astro when he came back.  Still to go out of their way to stop it, there must be some bad blood.  It sucks.  I was hoping they'd sign JV, but this doesn't bode well for that.

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sounds like the team is mad he wasn't around all season.  When Lance had Tommy John surgery, he was still around the team and in the dugout for a lot of games.  It's a different situation as he was for sure going to be an Astro when he came back.  Still to go out of their way to stop it, there must be some bad blood.  It sucks.  I was hoping they'd sign JV, but this doesn't bode well for that.

Comparing to LMJ isn’t exactly fair/apples to apples. LMJ rehabbed in 2019 pre-covid. I’d be curious to know how many guys on the shelf for 2021 were hanging around in their team’s clubhouse regularly throughout the year.

But yeah this seems bizarre.
I get being annoyed/upset the guy wasn’t around providing whatever you felt like he should be but there must be more to it.

otherwise you just roll your eyes and move on. And on the flip side, if something like this gets out (which it did), what do you know: It becomes the spotlight 

also wonder which player(s) had that conversation with Crane. Gotta imagine Crane overrules if anyone other than say, Bregs, altuve, or correa brings that request. 

Edited by UTexasFight

i remember jv coming back in the dugout in g2 at dodger stadium.  we definitely could've used some of that fire in the clubhouse a few times this year, covid or no covid.  he's a future hall-of-famer and we have an inexperienced staff.

well before this tweet i had multiple conversations this season about whether verlander had even been to a single game - even in a private box or whatever.  this team has a pretty tight family culture going on, and clearly this is not sitting well with some, if not all of them.

16 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I’ve heard he has always been kind of of a locker room cancer. When you are winning you get over it. But he is old and done so the youngster’s might be speaking up. Good if true

-I truly appreciate everything JV did here but it may be time.

JV: don’t care. Had sex. With Kate 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I love JV, but i thought it was a bitch move he hadn't been around at all. I get rehabbing, but I doubt he saw the team once. I don't know the rules but i wanted him to be in the dugout the whole playoffs....he should've been here more

i agree, bad mojo showing up game 1 after not being around season. he could have met them on the road or something

Edited by tx 3 putt

If that story is true, my guess is Correa and Maldonado were the ones who went to Crane and were probably motivated by their support of LMJ. I never considered JV's absence this season anything to give a shit about but now that it's playoff time I think it's great to see the clubhouse leaders take a strong stance here and tell JV to go sit back down on his couch.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, runthebone said:

Maybe the players are annoyed he wasn't around this year to help the young pitchers; maybe they think he should have tried to come back to help at the end of this season.  Whatever.

Yeah, I can see that.

I suppose if it is Correa who's pissed, there might be a chance for JV to salvage things with the other guys next season.

Whatever.  No distractions right now.  We've got 10 more playoff games to win.  In a row.

Yeah, I can see that.
I suppose if it is Correa who's pissed, there might be a chance for JV to salvage things with the other guys next season.
Whatever.  No distractions right now.  We've got 10 more playoff games to win.  In a row.
They're gone after this season ends. The Astros will make qualifying offers to both JV and Correa but neither will accept.

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:
Yeah, I can see that.

They're gone after this season ends. The Astros will make qualifying offers to both JV and Correa but neither will accept.

Correa's definitely gone, but I thought JV was considered a 50/50 shot?

If JV is gone and the clubhouse knows it, then yeah, I get why they don't want him involved with anything this postseason, even a first pitch.

If all this is actually true and how it played out, I would understand the players opinion and why they would not want JV out there.

However, it seems petty and an extremely low priority thing to contact the owner about right before Game 1.  I would think the guys have better things to focus on than a 1 minute ceremonial pitch.   

Maybe Granato was far deep into his Coors Lights.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I can see that.

Gonna be awfully awkward when Correa signs with Detroit <ducks> and JV does a victory lap with his old team.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Correa's definitely gone, but I thought JV was considered a 50/50 shot?

If JV is gone and the clubhouse knows it, then yeah, I get why they don't want him involved with anything this postseason, even a first pitch.

It may have been 50/50 earlier in the year but his brother Ben was on a radio show a month ago or so and openly talked about JV going back to Detroit so I think there's zero chance of him returning to the Astros. The Astros will happily make him a QO and take the draft pick compensation.....