2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I'd put the chances of JV contributing in October at 10-20%.  I don't know if the year off really mattered in Smith's instance though.  He's just old and his velo was already super low begin with.  When you get down to 85-86 anything not on the edges is liable to get blasted and Smith doesn't have the super-precise command to survive at those speeds.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what Click does in the next few weeks with the stable of OFs the Astros have collected between Siri, Dawson, De La Cruz, Meyers, and Chas.

I think the Astros believe in Meyers or they would have brought him up already for a test drive. He’s nearly as good as Straw as a fielder with potentially a much better bat. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Chas is traded to make room and cash in on his MLB success thus far. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Joe smith is so fucking garbage

Enough of this dude already

I don't care if we have a 20 run lead

ok bullpen, if you think you can hold down a nine-run lead, take one step forward.

not so fast, joe. go grab your playbook and meet me in my office. 

11 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

It’s going to be really interesting to see what Click does in the next few weeks with the stable of OFs the Astros have collected between Siri, Dawson, De La Cruz, Meyers, and Chas.

I think the Astros believe in Meyers or they would have brought him up already for a test drive. He’s nearly as good as Straw as a fielder with potentially a much better bat. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Chas is traded to make room and cash in on his MLB success thus far. 

Meyers has been consistent all year long and is 6th in AAA with an OPS of 1.009. He's hit for power, gets on base 40% of the time, and is an excellent glove in the outfield. I am very curious to see how the trade deadline affects his chances at the big leagues with the Astros or if he's a trade chip for pitching help.

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

He's been much better lately, had some shaky outings earlier this season with too many walks. 

In 4 July appearances he has a 21 to 5 K/BB ratio in 14.1 IP. Much better. But he also had control issues in college so it's not something that can be glossed over lightly.

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Meyers has been consistent all year long and is 6th in AAA with an OPS of 1.009. He's hit for power, gets on base 40% of the time, and is an excellent glove in the outfield. I am very curious to see how the trade deadline affects his chances at the big leagues with the Astros or if he's a trade chip for pitching help.

Both he and Siri are 25, so they are at the right age to trade because the future team would get the most value from their prime season under cost control. I really can't believe neither has gotten a shot over Straw at this point given the knowns of Straw not being a legitimate everyday player at the MLB level.

Meyers was also a high level starter at Nebraska with a 14-3 record with a 2.67 era in 2 seasons.

Edited by HtownHorn

42 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Both he and Siri are 25, so they are at the right age to trade because the future team would get the most value from their prime season under cost control. I really can't believe neither has gotten a shot over Straw at this point given the knowns of Straw not being a legitimate everyday player at the MLB level.

Meyers was also a high level starter at Nebraska with a 14-3 record with a 2.67 era in 2 seasons.

Straw isn't great.   Straw is a legitimate everyday player at the MLB level.  He's a 2.5 or 3 war player this year if he keeps doing what he's done YTD.  What he's done YTD includes a month of awfulness while getting his feet wet.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Straw isn't great.   Straw is a legitimate everyday player at the MLB level.  He's a 2.5 or 3 war player this year if he keeps doing what he's done YTD.  What he's done YTD includes a month of awfulness while getting his feet wet.

I will say that he's 194th in WAR is surprising....

14 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I will say that he's 194th in WAR is surprising....

yep.  Considering that there are 270 major league regulars around the diamond it isn't great, but filtering out pitchers I have to imagine he's pretty close to top 100 position players.  Which puts him top 35 or 40% of position players. If he's your second worst player (behind Maldonado) in your every day nine you are pretty well off.

I think I saw the other day that he is something like 0.5 wins above average in comparison to all other CF'ers.  So, by that metric he isn't just clearly a major league caliber regular, he's actually good.  I'm not sure I buy the defensive ranking that his him top of the charts but I think he's gone from bad to above average there, and his bat has gone from bad to average.  So, our fans still bitching about him being terrible are out to lunch imo. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn