2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

yep.  Considering that there are 270 major league regulars around the diamond it isn't great, but filtering out pitchers I have to imagine he's pretty close to top 100 position players.  Which puts him top 35 or 40% of position players. If he's your second worst player (behind Maldonado) in your every day nine you are pretty well off.

I think I saw the other day that he is something like 0.5 wins above average in comparison to all other CF'ers.  So, by that metric he isn't just clearly a major league caliber regular, he's actually good.  I'm not sure I buy the defensive ranking that his him top of the charts but I think he's gone from bad to above average there, and his bat has gone from bad to average.  So, our fans still bitching about him being terrible are out to lunch imo. 

Or we aren't buying a .380 BAbip in June as a true indicator of his ability.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Or we aren't buying a .380 BAbip in June as a true indicator of his ability.

I didn't say you should. I don't think anyone should buy sub 275 from his first month either. I think his season to date averages are probably pretty representative a good month and a bad month.  Also- it tracks with what his minor league stats say he should do.

Seriously man, you are wrong here.  You said he's not an MLB regular. He is at least average. Even if he was bottom 25% percentile that would still make him a major league regular.  Don't be silly man. Admit defeat.  Celebrate being wrong about the guy.  Focus all your hate on Robel shit for brains.  He deserves all the hate.  Straw is, at worst, meh.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously man, you are wrong here.  You said he's not an MLB regular. He is at least average. Even if he was bottom 25% percentile that would still make him a major league regular.  Don't be silly man. Admit defeat.  Celebrate being wrong about the guy.  Focus all your hate on Robel shit for brains.  He deserves all the hate.  Straw is, at worst, meh.  

^^^^^^^^^^^

Straw isn't 2019 Springer but he's definitely proven himself a capable major leaguer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Lol at Asher Wojicheisskssshhksiecccksikiki making his Yankees debut tonight

In related former Astros news, Mark Appel is starting tonight in Allentown for the AAA Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (Philadelphia) vs AAA Red Sox. He had a 2-0 record with a 3.86 ERA this season to start the game but his ERA jumped to 4.24 after giving up a couple of runs in the first three innings.

33 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

In related former Astros news, Mark Appel is starting tonight in Allentown for the AAA Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (Philadelphia) vs AAA Red Sox. He had a 2-0 record with a 3.86 ERA this season to start the game but his ERA jumped to 4.24 after giving up a couple of runs in the first three innings.

Didn’t know he was still in the game. What a bust. 30 years old and not even a sniff of the show. 

very cool, Astros 3rd pick Tyler Whitaker signs today. 

Whitaker received a signing bonus of $1.5 million, according to MLB.com’s Jim Callis, which was more than double the $689,300 slot value for the 87th pick. He had signed to play baseball at the University of Arizona, but will instead report to Florida on Thursday to begin his professional career.

The Astros have signed 16 of their 19 Draft picks, along with eight undrafted free agents. Among the Draft picks to recently sign are seventh-rounder Joey Loperfido (outfielder), 11th-rounder Chad Stevens (shortstop) and 13th-rounder Kobe Kato (infielder).

Edited by tx 3 putt

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

UFA next year, pass 

Eh, if he was passable in CF I'd be open to it depending on the prospect package. If Carlos eventually leaves, he might be a replacement option if he likes it in Houston. Leon could go back to CF longer term if that happens...and he pans out.

47 minutes ago, Scraps said:

MLB network just reported that some contender is looking at Story but to play CF....where he has never played before.

That sure seems more like a dumbass Yankees move than Astros move....but the word "contender" confuses me

I’ve seen Story linked to the Yankees but as a SS and moving Torres to 2nd and Odor to his natural position, the bench. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my hunch says that anyone significant we get will be a rental (kimbrel, etc).  any relief piece that our scouts like will be a team control guy (paul fry, etc).

just reading the tea leaves, but you never know.

If Kimbrel is really good, then it's likely the Astros pick up his $16M TO for 2022.