2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Korey Lee is imo the Astros #1 prospect at this point

It's been pretty amazing that he's actually improved his performance thus far following his promotion to AA, including maintaining the second lowest swinging strike rate on the hooks this season. imo, since AAA has moved to the MLB ball, I think the jump to AA is by far the most difficult one for position players within the minors with AAA being the biggest challenge for pitching prospects.  Lee looks like he's ready to hit MLB pitching now although we probably won't see him till next September at the earliest.  

Edited by Starfleet Command

Reports from earlier today indicated that Starling Marte rejected the Marlins’ offer of a three-year, $30MM contract extension, making it all the more likely that the outfielder would be dealt prior to the July 30 trade deadline.  Contract negotiations are now over between the two sides, according to The Miami Herald’s Craig Mish (Twitter links), as Marte didn’t want the talks to become a distraction for him as the second half of the season progresses.

MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (via Twitter) adds the detail that the Marlins’ extension offer was greater than three years and $30MM, but regardless, it now seems that the team will focus on dealing Marte.  As one might expect, Marte is already drawing interest from multiple suitors, as Heyman writes that the Astros, Phillies, and Yankees are three of the teams who have been in touch with the Marlins about the former All-Star.

From MLB trade rumors site 

17 hours ago, Gourmand said:

That blew up in our faces. The Aiken pick was the beginning of the media crusade against Jeff Luhnow.

I thought the blowup occurred after Aiken's medicals came back [post draft] and during contract negotiations …and as it turns out, Luhnow and the Astros' doctors were right about Aiken's arm.

21 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I thought the blowup occurred after Aiken's medicals came back [post draft] and during contract negotiations …and as it turns out, Luhnow and the Astros' doctors were right about Aiken's arm.

and the holier than thou's never admitted the Astros were right to not give a big contract to a kid that had some real medical issues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

and the holier than thou's never admitted the Astros were right to not give a big contract to a kid that had some real medical issues.

Yes. They demanded the Astros double down on their mistake instead of cutting their losses. The health record rules for HS vs College players had everything to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Right, I meant not picking Rodon--who I really liked in the 2011 draft out of HS and thought was the best pick after his career at NC State-- for Aiken, but as previously mentioned, it did open the door to get Bregman.

The Aiken mess wasn't anyone's fault in the organization and I was pissed about the exaggerated bullshit outrage from the media directed at Luhnow and the Astros just because they pulled their initial offer. I mean, what the everlivin fuck!?!?!! When you buy a house and make a full ask offer only to find some issues at inspection, revising your initial offer isn't only reasonable, it's expected. The Astros got raked over the coals with some made-up crap about how they WERE RUINING THESE KIDS LIVES!! only because the failure to sign Aiken prevented them from using the slot money savings to sign those two other dudes (Eibner was one iirc?)...

What a load of horseshit.

ETA: not Eibner, Jacob Nix and Mac Marshall. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1