Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

34 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

#1 player in the state. G-League a big option for him too.

https://247sports.com/player/ron-holland-46102006/

NIL getting our foot in the door. Memphis, Kentucky, Arkansas, UCLA are heavy hitters in the NIL game. UCLA less than the others, but the opportunities there have to be ridiculous. Memphis and Kentucky in particular have extraordinarily strong NIL fu. 

Anyone going to the G League out of high school in the world of NIL and passing up the opportunity to 1) make more money at college and 2) build a brand and following that will pay off and can be monetized for life if a mouth breathing moron. 
seriously, you can’t fake playing school for a little bit for 3 months?  Go be a millionaire on campus and fuck all the college poon you can see, while being venerated and playing before 15k a night and watched by millions in the coolest sports event of the year?  You want to give all that up so you can go play in the fucking G league and be watched by 10’s of people and have to adult a year early instead of living in an all expenses paid and all hassle taken care of for you bubble?  

• Hook 'Em 6

If this happens, which I will be surprised if it does not happen.... then I wonder what sort of impact (if any) it'll have on the recruiting scene.

Recruiting for Oregon of course.   

I'm assuming Nike already has all the open doors they need to the NBA but if they actually OWNED an NBA team... would/could/will that change things?!?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34026351/sources-nike-phil-knight-dodgers-alan-smolinisky-make-offer-buy-portland-trail-blazers

20 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

If this happens, which I will be surprised if it does not happen.... then I wonder what sort of impact (if any) it'll have on the recruiting scene.

Recruiting for Oregon of course.   

I'm assuming Nike already has all the open doors they need to the NBA but if they actually OWNED an NBA team... would/could/will that change things?!?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34026351/sources-nike-phil-knight-dodgers-alan-smolinisky-make-offer-buy-portland-trail-blazers

Would the Surly attorneys chime in here? I am wondering if there are conflicts of interest that would arise if Phil Knight has an ownership stake in an NBA franchise while trying to sell NBA apparel with the Nike logo. 

On 6/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Anyone going to the G League out of high school in the world of NIL and passing up the opportunity to 1) make more money at college and 2) build a brand and following that will pay off and can be monetized for life if a mouth breathing moron. 
seriously, you can’t fake playing school for a little bit for 3 months?  Go be a millionaire on campus and fuck all the college poon you can see, while being venerated and playing before 15k a night and watched by millions in the coolest sports event of the year?  You want to give all that up so you can go play in the fucking G league and be watched by 10’s of people and have to adult a year early instead of living in an all expenses paid and all hassle taken care of for you bubble?  

The decision matrix consist of playing basketball all day every day with professional instruction vs 20 hours of instruction (or whatever the NCAA mandated allowable time is for college coaches) and balancing all the other requirements of being a college student. Not to mention all the distractions that come with being an 18 year old on a college campus. To each his own, but choosing one over the other doesn't make one a moron. It just reflects a different set of priorities.

As a cbb fan I obviously feel going to college is the better choice, especially when one considers the protentional to increase one's Q rating ala Zion (which he seems determined to squander). Nothing short of a Lebron like obvious talent coming out of high school who went to the G league would eclipse 6 months of being a college star and building up a national following with 2 weekly appearances showcasing yourself on TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The decision matrix consist of playing basketball all day every day with professional instruction vs 20 hours of instruction (or whatever the NCAA mandated allowable time is for college coaches) and balancing all the other requirements of being a college student. Not to mention all the distractions that come with being an 18 year old on a college campus. To each his own, but choosing one over the other doesn't make one a moron. It just reflects a different set of priorities.

As a cbb fan I obviously feel going to college is the better choice, especially when one considers the protentional to increase one's Q rating ala Zion (which he seems determined to squander). Nothing short of a Lebron like obvious talent coming out of high school who went to the G league would eclipse 6 months of being a college star and building up a national following with 2 weekly appearances showcasing yourself on TV. 

Yes. This was my point on the branding. And the money is now much better in college. And you only have to play school now in the fall semester of at all. If you are one and done you don’t ever have to step foot in a classroom in the spring if you don’t want to. And I’m pretty sure the 12 hours they take in the fall when there is no need to be actually pursuing a degree isn’t real challenging. And, the infrastructure you go through is probably beneficial. 
It’s just not even close unless you just really really really hate school. 

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Beard swinging for the fences once again. 

It seems like it will be difficult to beat Auburn on this one. Pearl is going to show the kid and his Dad tape of Jabari Smith at Auburn juxtaposed with being introduced by Daniel Stern on NBA draft night and it’s going to be hard to compete with that. But you get them on campus and be competitive with NIL and you never know. 

One thing I do know is that Beard is going to talk about playing with his face to the basket at Texas and that’s going to appeal to the kid. 

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Beard swinging for the fences once again. 

It seems like it will be difficult to beat Auburn on this one. Pearl is going to show the kid and his Dad tape of Jabari Smith at Auburn juxtaposed with being introduced by Daniel Stern on NBA draft night and it’s going to be hard to compete with that. But you get them on campus and be competitive with NIL and you never know. 

One thing I do know is that Beard is going to talk about playing with his face to the basket at Texas and that’s going to appeal to the kid. 

Stickybandits GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

On 6/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Lol…what if they don’t even want to go through the bullshit charade of acting like they give a fuck about Introduction to Psychology 101 and instead focus on their craft? Do you think Jalen Greene made a bad decision?

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol…what if they don’t even want to go through the bullshit charade of acting like they give a fuck about Introduction to Psychology 101 and instead focus on their craft? Do you think Jalen Greene made a bad decision?

lol these one and done players don't even have to show up for class

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

lol these one and done players don't even have to show up for class

Lol you think being in college is the only way a buff-ass 19 year can score hot pussy? They can fuck the college chicks without being in college, so why go?

Edited by Ignatius

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol you think being in college is the only way a buff-ass 19 year can score hot pussy? They can fuck the college chicks without being in college, so why go?

probably better than going to Ft Wayne, Grand Rapids and Des Moines during the winter months.. but that might just be me

• Hook 'Em 2

Mosley is a good player but BWG and the recruiting services seem to be overvaluing how good he is. 

I know schools like Texas Tech and Kansas were involved but weren't his final 3 schools Mississippi State, Kansas State, and Missouri? That does not scream the #1 player in the transfer portal like On3 has him ranked. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mosley is a good player but BWG and the recruiting services seem to be overvaluing how good he is. 

I know schools like Texas Tech and Kansas were involved but weren't his final 3 schools Mississippi State, Kansas State, and Missouri? That does not scream the #1 player in the transfer portal like On3 has him ranked. 

To your point, it sure seems like interest in him didn’t match up with his lofty ranking.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, SL Xpress said:

I can see both sides on Carr. He was frustrating to watch for most of the year, but I feel like that was only partially on him, partially on Beard, and partially on team dynamics. It was a brand new roster with no real post scoring threat, and no one who could attack the basket off the dribble, including Carr himself. It wasn't a great 3 point shooting team - somewhat surprisingly, frankly - even though the offense was good at producing really good looks from outside. Beard also isn't a huge fan of a transition game, preferring to keep players on defense and bring the ball up deliberately rather than release anyone for a fast break. 

That said, Carr is not capable of beating his defender off the dribble to attack the basket. He is good at getting off decent looks at the basket when he drives right and pulls up for a mid range jump shot, but that's not a great way to base an offense on compared to getting to the paint or firing from BTA. But between Carr and Allen, often that's what we were left with unless someone like Andrew Jones went unconscious - which wasn't reliable at all. 

What Carr was reliable as, was as a team leader and teammate. He was also reliable on defense in important ways, given all the switching Texas does. Febres and Jones were consistently weak links in the back court on switches in ways Carr never was. In terms of culture continuity and establishing Texas as a great place to be, Carr coming back for a super senior season along with Bishop and Allen sets a tone that's extremely important. 

I don't think moving Carr off the ball is some kind of magic solution for the people who weren't enamored of his play style last year. I also question how happy Carr will be with this move, even if he doesn't say anything publicly. His best pro prospects are as a PG, never mind he doesn't really have the skill set for it after 4 years at the position at 3 different power 6 programs. But if he can at least pretend to be on board with a more supporting role, with Hunter and Morris as the chief guys initiating the offense, I don't see any way he's not an asset. He's a capable 3 point shooter, if not elite. He can get off a decent shot just about any time he wants in the mid range. While not ideal, it's not nothing. He's accustomed to being the primary ballhandler. He turned the ball over less than 2 times per game last year. 

The biggest things Carr brings is program continuity and culture. That's an intangible very difficult to quantify on a stat sheet, but they're arguably more vital, especially in only the second season of Beard's reign. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss his performance against Purdue. There were many times Carr stepped up when he was needed, especially late in the year. That's not a bad thing. It doesn't make sense to relegate it to meaningless because it's claimed to be such an outlier.

Personally, I'm glad to have Carr back. I liked him more than others last season. I feel like the expectations for him were out of whack based on his portal ranking. If Carr hadn't been the primary initiator for the offense last year, the team would have been much worse, even if he was flawed in the role. 

This may be the best post in the history of this forum.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1

Holding offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Kansas, Oregon, Texas, UCLA, and Washington, Elohim says he is focused on visiting the Longhorns, Bruins, and Trojans men's basketball programs when diving into the summer season. He discussed the trio of schools with 247Sports:

Texas: "Jerrance Howard is recruiting me from there. He is a really good dude. They are a guard-oriented school that really values guys who can play defense.

UCLA: "Mick Cronin is recruiting me. I get a family vibe from the school. Their play style will allow me to play free but it is also structured.

USC: "Jason Hart recruited me before he went to G-League Ignite. Their program is very structured. Their players always make the right play and Andy Enfield teaches his players how to always do so."

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Elohim-46109438/