Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

25 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Preach it Clay.

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

im thinking it might be a good idea to instruct cops to murder lawyers instead

I'm confused. What are y'all upset about here? (1) no lawsuit has been filed, (2) no lawyer has indicated a case will be filed, and (3) the target of any potential case by the biological mother would have to be either the foster care system or the foster mother. Ignoring the legal problems (e.g., lack of standing for the biological mother and sovereign immunity for any state run foster system), are we under the impression that either the foster system or the foster mother aren't deserving of some criticism? I thought that is exactly what y'all wanted, for blame to assessed to individuals besides the cop who appears to acted completely justifiably? Hell, I'm pretty sure if I dig back in this ridiculously long thread, I'll find a number of posts saying that the foster mother is partly responsible.

im thinking it might be a good idea to instruct cops to murder lawyers instead

You laugh...one of the first things you learn in law school is NEVER tell a cop who has you pulled over or whatnot “I’m a lawyer.” You’ll get 37 extra citations for shit like your license plate being off center by 1 degree. And/or get your ass beat.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You laugh...one of the first things you learn in law school is NEVER tell a cop who has you pulled over or whatnot “I’m a lawyer.” You’ll get 37 extra citations for shit like your license plate being off center by 1 degree. And/or get your ass beat.

So you're saying there is a god who makes things all work out right ?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

what about if you admit to being just prelaw? 

54 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Shitty people do shitty things all the time. Everyone hates it, no one approves. But there isn't much controversy so a single event isn't going to generate long lasting outrage. Police officers abusing their power is different because of their special position in society. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. 

And, as to this particular event, the outrage mostly died down once more facts became available. The only thing keeping this thread going is the grievance group feeling victimized for... I don't, something. As an example, look at you. You were outraged the national media didn't cover a specific incident yet were able to immediately post a link of the national media covering that incident. You're the one creating a narrative. The cognitive dissonance in this thread is amazing. 

There have been a lot of attacks on Asians for just being Asian.  

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

😆

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And that’s fair. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I thought that is exactly what y'all wanted, for blame to assessed to individuals besides the cop who appears to acted completely justifiably?

The problem is, ALL the blame pretty much lies at the feet of the girl trying to stab people.  Her foster mother didn’t cause that. Foster system didn’t cause that. This is a “oh shit, can’t get a settlement from city? #who’s next #accountability” move from the bio mother who couldn’t keep her shit straight enough to even have custody of the kid.  Just another attempt at a payday. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You definitely should tell the police that you’re the DA.

image.jpeg

Travis County did some fine investigative work on that case -- analyzing several years worth of liquor purchasing records, including types, quantities, and the time of day of said purchase.  That may or may not have influenced my increased utilization of cash in conducting certain transactions for certain products.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The problem is, ALL the blame pretty much lies at the feet of the girl trying to stab people.  Her foster mother didn’t cause that. Foster system didn’t cause that. This is a “oh shit, can’t get a settlement from city? #who’s next #accountability” move from the bio mother who couldn’t keep her shit straight enough to even have custody of the kid.  Just another attempt at a payday. 

Sure, maybe the 16-year old was always going to be problematic. Or maybe the environment she was raised in contributed significantly to how she ended up. Is that really so hard to fathom? I really don't know what happened for her to end up in foster care or how long she was there. And, frankly, I don't have a clear picture as to why she was going at it with this other girl. But I certainly know that the foster care system can be abused and doesn't always end up with children in favorable conditions. So, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that her foster home wasn't the best. I wouldn't surprise to find out her biological mother's home wasn't the best. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that both of them share a big part of responsibility for what happened. And hell, maybe the biological mom is just searching for a "payday." I can pretty much guarantee you she isn't going to find it and that'll she'll have a hard time finding a lawyer to even attempt to bring the case. 

But, sure, let's not discuss the big picture and instead focus on whatever myopic view best fits your preferred political narrative at the moment. Personally, I think that is the bigger problem and emblematic of this entire thread, which is a typhoon of fury engendered by nothing but some vague notion that the media coverage of this incident has aggrieved the members of this forum..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

"Hey, cops showed. Now I can stab a bitch."

And hell, maybe the biological mom is just searching for a "payday." I can pretty much guarantee you she isn't going to find it and that'll she'll have a hard time finding a lawyer to even attempt to bring the case. 

Bro. The country just watched a man assault several officers, make his way back to his truck to retrieve a knife, only to be awarded 7 figures.   You don’t think they'll be able to find a lawyer for a 16 yo girl? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

But, sure, let's not discuss the big picture and instead focus on whatever myopic view best fits your preferred political narrative at the moment. Personally, I think that is the bigger problem and emblematic of this entire thread, which is a typhoon of fury engendered by nothing but some vague notion that the media coverage of this incident has aggrieved the members of this forum..

Sure. Let’s talk about the parenting of this individual. What we know: the mother didn’t appear to have custody.  The father was seen trying to stomp on a teenage girls head.   And...go 

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bro. The country just watched a man assault several officers, make his way back to his truck to retrieve a knife, only to be awarded 7 figures.   You don’t think they'll be able to find a lawyer for a 16 yo girl? 

What are you talking about? 

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sure. Let’s talk about the parenting of this individual. What we know: the mother didn’t appear to have custody.  The father was seen trying to stomp on a teenage girls head.   And...go 

I don't know what point you think you're making. Didn't I say that I wouldn't be surprised if the foster and biological mom shared a lot of the blame? Are you agreeing with me that a child's behavior can be caused or heavily influenced by the home environment?

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What are you talking about? 

2.4m in handouts that piece of shit Jacob Blake has for breaking the law.  Let’s see how much the suit brings and we can revisit.  But suffice to say he’s now a multimillionaire for fucking around, and finding out.  

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't know what point you think you're making. Didn't I say that I wouldn't be surprised if the foster and biological mom shared a lot of the blame? Are you agreeing with me that a child's behavior can be caused or heavily influenced by the home environment?

You said you wanted to explore the conditions that could have led to this.  I feel the poor or even lack of parenting has more to do with it than any amount systemic racism ever could. So let’s explore it.  The mother either didn’t want, or couldn’t maintain custody.   The father apparently likes to fight along side her, and while father/daughter bonding is important and a key to a healthy relationship, I think he missed the mark there.   

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

2.4m in handouts that piece of shit Jacob Blake has for breaking the law.  Let’s see how much the suit brings and we can revisit.  But suffice to say he’s now a multimillionaire for fucking around, and finding out.  

You said you wanted to explore the conditions that could have led to this.  I feel the poor or even lack of parenting has more to do with it than any amount systemic racism ever could. So let’s explore it.  The mother either didn’t want, or couldn’t maintain custody.   The father apparently likes to fight along side her, and while father/daughter bonding is important and a key to a healthy relationship, I think he missed the mark there.   

Jacob Blake hasn't been awarded anything in court or in settlement. He literally just filed suit in March. Again, what are you talking about? A gofundme page? What does that have to do with lawyers? And, his case is quite a bit different than any hypothetical lawsuit by the biological mother. Again, I question whether she would have standing. And it seems like the only entities she could bring a possibly plausible claim against, the foster parents and foster system, have either sovereign immunity or zero collectable assets.  

As to this incident, I agree that parents/foster parents probably weren't the best. But I don't have enough facts to judge them. I wouldn't be surprised if a bad home life contributed to the tragic shooting. I didn't say anything about systemic racism. I don't know that it has anything to do with this event outside of the poverty that it tends to create. I feel like you think I'm making an argument that I am not. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Jacob Blake hasn't been awarded anything in court or in settlement. He literally just filed suit in March. Again, what are you talking about? 

Awarded was the wrong word, and it sounded like court settlement.  Gifted.  He has been gifted several million dollars since the incident.  We can circle back once his lawsuit rolls and see if he was “awarded” anything.  But correct, I should have used gifted instead of awarded. 

So what large factors and issues do you think lead to this?  You plainly said we were overlooking them to placate a narrative.  Let’s discuss the “real” issues then.   

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Awarded was the wrong word, and it sounded like court settlement.  Gifted.  He has been gifted several million dollars since the incident.  We can circle back once his lawsuit rolls and see if he was “awarded” anything.  But correct, I should have used gifted instead of awarded. 

So what large factors and issues do you think lead to this?  You plainly said we were overlooking them to placate a narrative.  Let’s discuss the “real” issues then.   

What I said is that y'all are tilting at windmills. I dont think this thread is about incident at all. Y'all don't care about what happened. This thread is about the media coverage and the slight y'all believe y'all suffered because of it. Pretty much everyone (except perhaps the family) agrees this shooting was justified. And even those that first thought there was something more here walked it back once the footage was released. This thread is the embodiment of the victims mentality that y'all mock. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What I said is that y'all are tilting at windmills. I dont think this thread is about incident at all. Y'all don't care about what happened. This thread is about the media coverage and the slight y'all believe y'all suffered because of it. Pretty much everyone (except perhaps the family) agrees this shooting was justified. And even those that first thought there was something more here walked it back once the footage was released. This thread is the embodiment of the victims mentality that y'all mock. 

GIF by Coming to America

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Ma'Khia Brown's mother plans to sue foster care system

Are you fucking kidding me?  The world of blame everyone for everything but take no personal responsibility.

And she'll win.  Because that how fucked up things are in today's world.  

Taking responsibility = taking responsibility for finding any lawyer who will take your case when you don't have a rat's ass business doing so to being with. 

Jesus.  We're so fucked.

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 1

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Taking responsibility = taking responsibility for finding any lawyer who will take your case when you don't have a rat's ass business doing so to do being with. 

Jesus.

No she won't.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Taking responsibility = taking responsibility for finding any lawyer who will take your case when you don't have a rat's ass business doing so to do being with. 

Jesus.

You have no idea what you're talking about. 

36 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Y'all don't care about what happened.

I’m very happy one life was able to be spared, actually.  

37 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And even those that first thought there was something more here walked it back once the footage was released.

Lol. Yeah I guess you could say that.  Still plenty of outlets calling it a “knife fight” etc.   but whatever.  

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m very happy one life was able to be spared, actually.  

Lol. Yeah I guess you could say that.  Still plenty of outlets calling it a “knife fight” etc.   but whatever.  

More imaginary slights and vague allegations that some article somewhere said "knife fight" (and I'm not even sure why that is objectionable). Here is my prediction: you are conflating opinion pieces with news articles, and twisting neutral comments regarding known facts into insinuations that offend you. You're searching for something to be offended by and reading anything and everything in way that fits with the slight you think exists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Nope just not true. Not even gonna list the news segments, and interviews of experts that have spun, and are still spinning this thing as cop kills black girl, cop kills unarmed black girl, murdered girl was in a knife fight (knife fight ?  no she was attacking an unarmed girl with a knife). The spin is still going on, and to say it's not is just not being honest.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

More imaginary slights and vague allegations that some article somewhere said "knife fight" (and I'm not even sure why that is objectionable). Here is my prediction: you are conflating opinion pieces with news articles, and twisting neutral comments regarding known facts into insinuations that offend you. You're searching for something to be offended by and reading anything and everything in way that fits with the slight you think exists. 

Calling it a knife fight implies two people engaged in a knife fight, not one person attacking an unarmed person with a knife.  The choice of words was deliberate.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope just not true. Not even gonna list the news segments, and interviews of experts that have spun, and are still spinning this thing as cop kills black girl, cop kills unarmed black girl, murdered girl was in a knife fight (knife fight ?  no she was attacking an unarmed girl with a knife). The spin is still going on, and to say it's not is just not being honest.

Well we all know you’re very media savvy 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Calling it a knife fight implies two people engaged in a knife fight, not one person attacking an unarmed person with a knife.  The choice of words was deliberate.  

I have no idea how those two came into the situation they were in. Based on news report, the deceased call 911 about a fight and needing assistance. Certainly at the time the police arrived she was the aggressor. I don't know about before that or if she was the first person to have the knife. But, by all means, point out the offensive article so we can read the words in context. Or, did you hear "knife fight" on the radio? 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no idea how those two came into the situation they were in. Based on news report, the deceased call 911 about a fight and needing assistance. Certainly at the time the police arrived she was the aggressor. I don't know about before that or if she was the first person to have the knife. But, by all means, point out the offensive article so we can read the words in context. Or, did you hear "knife fight" on the radio? 

NPR,  Friday.  I'm sure it was heard by millions who listen to their reports.  

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep thanks.  Nice of you to say.  You can't even be honest, and admit the agenda that's still being spun. Tell me about the "knife fight" Ma'kia was in.  I wanna hear about the 2 combatants going at it.

I have no idea. I’ve never once said it was a “knife fight”. The shooting was 100% justified.

So you’ve now called me a liar twice in this thread. Yet again, tell me the lie.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

NPR,  Friday.  I'm sure it was heard by millions who listen to their reports.  

This one? 

People In Columbus Gather To Protest Shooting Of Black Teenage Girl : NPR

"Ma'Khia Bryant was involved in a fight on Tuesday, according to 911 calls. Her aunt says Ma'Khia called police for help. Body cam video shows Officer Nicholas Reardon getting out of his car, and the video shows Ma'Khia Bryant with a knife, which she raises as if to plunge into another person. The officer yells, get down and then fires his weapon. NPR's Frank Morris is in Columbus. Frank, good morning.

Seconds after officers showed up, Bryant is shown lunging at a woman who falls. Reardon pulls his gun and yells. Then Bryant turns to another woman, rearing back with what police say was a knife in her hand, as the woman cowers on the side of a car."

or this one?

Ma'Khia Bryant: Police Identify Officer Who Shot Teen, Release Video Footage : NPR

"Bryant, who was Black, died after calling 911 to ask for police to come help protect her from a group of other girls who had threatened violence, her family says. State authorities are investigating her death. Video from the scene shows that Bryant was holding a knife.

"We need a police officer here now," a female is heard telling a 911 operator in one recording, as yelling is heard in the background. As the noise continues in the background, the female adds, "We got these ... grown girls over here, trying to fight us.""

Forgive me if I question your hearing. 

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I haven't spun a damn thing, you can stop lying about what happened on the other thread any time now. It's way beyond old.

How have I lied? You parroted a false claim from a radio program and admitted you were incorrect when called on it. I thanked you for that. I just wish you'd acknowledge the greater problem of having millions of people parroting claims that are easily proven false. And I wish everyone was a bit more skeptical about what they read and hear, especially when an event is first reported. Lebron James would have done well to follow the same advice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This one? 

"Ma'Khia Bryant was involved in a fight on Tuesday, according to 911 calls. Her aunt says Ma'Khia called police for help. Body cam video shows Officer Nicholas Reardon getting out of his car, and the video shows Ma'Khia Bryant with a knife, which she raises as if to plunge into another person. The officer yells, get down and then fires his weapon. NPR's Frank Morris is in Columbus. Frank, good morning.

Seconds after officers showed up, Bryant is shown lunging at a woman who falls. Reardon pulls his gun and yells. Then Bryant turns to another woman, rearing back with what police say was a knife in her hand, as the woman cowers on the side of a car."

or this one?

Ma'Khia Bryant: Police Identify Officer Who Shot Teen, Release Video Footage : NPR

"Bryant, who was Black, died after calling 911 to ask for police to come help protect her from a group of other girls who had threatened violence, her family says. State authorities are investigating her death. Video from the scene shows that Bryant was holding a knife.

"We need a police officer here now," a female is heard telling a 911 operator in one recording, as yelling is heard in the background. As the noise continues in the background, the female adds, "We got these ... grown girls over here, trying to fight us.""

How have I lied? You parroted a false claim from a radio program and admitted you were incorrect when called on it. I thanked you for that. I just wish you'd acknowledge the greater problem of having millions of people parroting claims that are easily proven false. And I wish everyone was a bit more skeptical about what they read and hear, especially when an event is first reported. Lebron James would have done well to follow the same advice. 

See according the @Onboard 2.0 Lebron is ignorant for “not thinking” before posting. @Onboard 2.0 though is just a regular Joe so thinking isn’t a requirement for His posting. I’m not sure if that makes him ignorant or not by his own definition. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This one? 

or this one?

The worst thing, to me at least, about LeBron’s post wasn’t his first it was his second. The second was insulting to my intelligence. Just say you rushed to judgment and got it wrong. Or delete and say whoops. That was not what he did- it was calculated, he had time to think about it, and he still got it wrong. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The worst thing, to me at least, about LeBron’s post wasn’t his first it was his second. The second was insulting to my intelligence. Just say you rushed to judgment and got it wrong. Or delete and say whoops. That was not what he did- it was calculated, he had time to think about it, and he still got it wrong. 

His education did top out in high school. 

Congratulations to all. This thread, in less than a week, has garnered more posts from this community and more outrage by certain participants than both the Ahmad Aubery and Breonna Taylor threads both of which had ongoing conversations that lasted for months.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Congratulations to all. This thread, in less than a week, has garnered more posts from this community and more outrage by certain participants than both the Ahmad Aubery and Breonna Taylor threads both of which had ongoing conversations that lasted for months.

Yeah, but if you take out the posts about Lebron where is it in ranking? 

• Haha 1