Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Cross posting.

So about a certain former Big 12 coach ...

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Chip Brown

... Here's what we can say about the rumblings involving former TCU coach Gary Patterson and Texas:

There's legit smoke but no fire at this point.

Patterson, a top-notch defensive mind with knowledge of the Big 12, is obviously close with Chris Del Conte, who served as GP's athletic director at TCU. And Patterson's wife, Kelsey, is close with former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds, because Kelsey used to do some work in Dodds' office when she was a student at UT majoring in communications back in the day.

So, the bottom line is Del Conte knows Patterson well, but Steve Sarkisian doesn't. If there's a role for Patterson, as an analyst or something else, and it works both ways, Sarkisian has a conduit to help make that match happen. Patterson is also drawing interest for other oppportunities. So, as we said, there's legit smoke - and the makings for fire - but there's no fire at this point.

It could develop or it might not.

But we've got our eyes on it and will keep you posted.

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Cross posting.

Chip Brown

Hide contents

Chip Brown

... Here's what we can say about the rumblings involving former TCU coach Gary Patterson and Texas:

Patterson, a top-notch defensive mind with knowledge of the Big 12, is obviously close with Chris Del Conte, who served as GP's athletic director at TCU. And Patterson's wife, Kelsey, is close with former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds, because Kelsey used to do some work in Dodds' office when she was a student at UT majoring in communications back in the day.

So, the bottom line is Del Conte knows Patterson well, but Steve Sarkisian doesn't. If there's a role for Patterson, as an analyst or something else, and it works both ways, Sarkisian has a conduit to help make that match happen. Patterson is also drawing interest for other oppportunities. So, as we said, there's legit smoke - and the makings for fire - but there's no fire at this point.

FCB.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I’m not going to read 20 pages so this might have already been covered elsewhere. So does this mean the walk on program can basically be filled with badass athletes that can now pay their own way with this NIL deal? If so, it would mean this would be similar to the pre-scholarship limit era. That’s game changing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Cross posting.

Chip Brown

Hide contents

Chip Brown

good grief what a post. "It could develop or it might not" - no shit 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I know there are a bunch of people on here who questioned this take, and thought he might be processed somewhere along the way. I will tell you right now, I think this was a great eval by the staff. To have a 5 minute highlight video and damn near every play is TFLs and sacks is pretty impressive. He has legit passrush skills, a good first step, splits double teams, and he moves really well. The kid is naturally disruptive and we desperately need guys like this. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I’m not going to read 20 pages so this might have already been covered elsewhere. So does this mean the walk on program can basically be filled with badass athletes that can now pay their own way with this NIL deal? If so, it would mean this would be similar to the pre-scholarship limit era. That’s game changing. 

BYU has an NIL deal to cover tuition costs of all walk-ons. I thought the NCAA had a roster limit for football (125?), so it's not an unlimited number of walk-ons. The article says BYU has a roster of 123.

Every BYU walk-on football player receives NIL deal from sponsor covering cost of scholarships - CBSSports.com

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I know there are a bunch of people on here who questioned this take, and thought he might be processed somewhere along the way. I will tell you right now, I think this was a great eval by the staff. To have a 5 minute highlight video and damn near every play is TFLs and sacks is pretty impressive. He has legit passrush skills, a good first step, splits double teams, and he moves really well. The kid is naturally disruptive and we desperately need guys like this. 

I'm thinking he's another J.J. Watt. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Title change to reflect the halcyon days of this recruiting cycle for us as fans. 

I think I saw this episode. Is this the one where they catch him and tie him up at the end, and then they pull his mask off to reveal that it was Mr. Willard all along, and he would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids?

No. It was the one where they catch him and tie him up at the end, pull off his mask revealing it was Ryan Day all along, and that he was meddling with kids. You were close though. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Maybe he can be our big white Michigan DE

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Mac Engel of the Star Telegram says that GP's potential role at UT would be an analyst, which is what he would prefer. The other option for GP would be to go to OU as DC under Bob Stoops.

bob stoops? that would be a huge hire for ou

we are fucked again!!--satya, probably

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Mac Engel of the Star Telegram says that GP's potential role at UT would be an analyst, which is what he would prefer. The other option for GP would be to go to OU as DC under Bob Stoops.

Mac Engel is a fucking imbecile. Also, he's wrong here, but let's not let that get in the way.

There is a good chance that some guys get shown the door, but after signing day and perhaps after the next signing day, so guys brought on board ahead of any of that might be an "analyst" for 10 minutes or something.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

A friend of mine said GP really likes the Austin scene because it gives him an opportunity to go to 6th street and play in all the bars. I didn’t know he was a musician 

Great. That ornery, sweaty bastard is gonna come here in a great mood and serenade our defense everyday instead of busting heads.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

A friend of mine said GP really likes the Austin scene because it gives him an opportunity to go to 6th street and play in all the bars. I didn’t know he was a musician 

have you seen the post from the Auburn fan about how great his experience was at the aggy game in college station?

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

is this the first time a specific Texas $9.95-er has ever been banned from the boards? Even Chip Brown wasn't banned after his hit piece cost us Bonnito.

Moving two of our best offensive players to defense is proof that he shouldn't be taken seriously. 

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Moving two of our best offensive players to defense is proof that he shouldn't be taken seriously. 

it's not out of the realm of possibility. Joel Lanning went from 2500+ career passing yards and 19 TDs as a QB, to 114 tackles and six sacks in his junior year.

Anyway, Hamilton's reporting that the A&M coaches were scheduled to see Banks at Summer Creek but no-showed.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

it's not out of the realm of possibility. Joel Lanning went from 2500+ career passing yards and 19 TDs as a QB, to 114 tackles and six sacks in his junior year.

Anyway, Hamilton's reporting that the A&M coaches were scheduled to see Banks at Summer Creek but no-showed.

image.png

I don't take you seriously either, so this tracks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting