Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Idk if that’s the answer but go off sis 

s reactions please GIF

No it's absolutely the answer.  It can be accomplished one of two ways.  1.  Ask Sark to tank so we can fire him, seems like a reasonable request.  2.  Have boosters/former players/alum talk shit about Sark to the recruits so they don't come here.

I am a fan of the 2nd way as any good coach would love to come to a university that purposefully undermined it's last coach.  Also, they will be excited to coach terrible players from our shitty classes.

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What’s your definition of home run? Tons of teams got quality starters from the portal within our conference alone. 

it’s not about hitting a home run, it’s about getting quality starters which we currently don’t have very many of at most positions. 

I would say that Jameson Williams and Henry To'oto'o are the definitions of a portal home run.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

I am not suggesting we fire the coach but this coach has not excelled in anything to date giving me hope that he can turn things around. He needs a lot of help. Getting a coach like Patterson is paramount imo. If you are CDC, you have to be strategic about it. Get Patterson to the 40 acres in whatever capacity you can and have him advise the DC and HC or even let him be the DC or make him the associate HC. Have a backup plan in place just in case Sark shits the bed next year. 

He does only have one kid of his own in Worthy on campus really.  Maybe it's too early to make a call?  I agree we need to get the Def staff sorted out.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

...You age and things happen. Friends get promoted or build something relevant. You get involved enough and with enough interest and money and you meet others doing the same. Networks get developed. Maybe. You have to get a little lucky on some of it ...

Listen up kids. Stitch this on a pillow.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I would say that Jameson Williams and Henry To'oto'o are the definitions of a portal home run.

This goes back to my point of trying to get player development working.  Bama puts kids in the NFL.  We aren't going to win those battles with our draft track record.

That isn't on Sark probably.

4 minutes ago, Moderator said:

No it's absolutely the answer.  It can be accomplished one of two ways.  1.  Ask Sark to tank so we can fire him, seems like a reasonable request.  2.  Have boosters/former players/alum talk shit about Sark to the recruits so they don't come here.

I am a fan of the 2nd way as any good coach would love to come to a university that purposefully undermined it's last coach.  Also, they will be excited to coach terrible players from our shitty classes.

This doesn’t seem very smart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regardless, nothing about recruiting is concrete, ever. Add to that the variables right now of Sarkisian being new in role, being terrible at holding his staff accountable, Bilbo and the aggie try-hards getting wildly desperate and concerned about missing a window, the corona year being unlike anything for CFB and CFB recruiting, and ATM having fully opened the Texas gateway to SEC cheating that is now fully matured and you wind up with shit that no one can soundly predict. What I post is worth what you are paying me, so DM if you feel entitled to a refund.

I don't really look at it as desperate. I look at it as "they've figured out what they can get away with, and they're doing what it takes to build the kind of roster that can win a national championship." Now, they're aggy so they're gonna fuck it up. It is known.

But shit, can we get desperate?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Deserve", lol. No one put a gun to Sark's head and forced him to lose to Kansas.

In September you and the rest of the sunshine-pumping crowd kept claiming that recruits were smart enough to not care about wins and losses because they were focused on the 'long-term' vision of the program. Well, now those same recruits want nothing to do with us. The conclusion is obvious.

Dude. How fucking hard are you right now? Are you just sitting there edging, waiting to fucking explode all over your computer like Randy Marsh? You gotta be loving this shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yep, and they both went to Bama. Portal recruiting might be a little different than HS recruiting, but it ain’t that different.

But it also is easier in the portal because you have seen these kids play against real competition that is likely equal to them. You have college tape, and there are plenty of programs that have used the portal effectively that will be playing for championships tomorrow. Namely Houston and Baylor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, burdine said:

He does only have one kid of his own in Worthy on campus really.  Maybe it's too early to make a call?  I agree we need to get the Def staff sorted out.

He also has bunch of other kids from the portal who haven't done anything. He failed to develop anyone in the roster as well. Fact is, even the worst teams in the league can have an all American type player sometimes due to the fact that nobody else stepped up. Worthy was a special player coming in, so I don't know how much of his success is attributable to the coaching staff. 

Edited by UTEE97

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we go 6-6 or 5-7 again all bets are off. 

I don't think there is any way in hell - short of something off the field - that they fire a coach after two years.

I guess if he went 2-9 I could see it - but otherwise I'm settling in for a bit.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yep, and they both went to Bama. Portal recruiting might be a little different than HS recruiting, but it ain’t that different.

I think the biggest difference will be that playing time is more important for portal players. An upperclassman can't risk sitting for a year or two while high school kids can afford to have that patience.

Maybe it will also be easier to guarantee them NIL deals since they're already in college and can sign immediately, whereas high school kids have to trust the deal will happen once on campus.

13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

No, we should fire the coach after one season.  That's definitely the right move.  Good coaches will be lining up to come here, thrilled to know they'll have one whole fucking season to put their system in place.

Great leaders in any field are sure of their ability and the failure of others has no consequence to their ability to succeed in the same role. 

Further, let's flip it around "I'm sure good coaches will be lining up to come here knowing that we are complacent with substandard results and that the athletic department as a whole isn't prioritizing winning and won't demand excellence." 

Sarkisian was an abject failure. Getting fired for being an abject failure isn't a red flag to anyone, anywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If anything, the top portal guys want to win even faster. You have to be a great evaluator for both recruiting HS and secondary portal players. It’s not easy to just bring in kids because they may have played 5 snaps somewhere else. You have to know how to evaluate talent.

What has shown us that these guys can evaluate this year? What recruits have we gotten that have improved their recruiting ranking? Instead, we might be going after kids that we lost out on that are now dropping in the rankings. This recruiting staff lacks everything. They don’t have anyone that can go into any HS area and pick out a good talent. Sark has never done that. He hasn’t had to at USC and Bama. And the guys he wanted to do that here weren’t allowed to come on board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Great leaders in any field are sure of their ability and the failure of others has no consequence to their ability to succeed in the same role. 

Further, let's flip it around "I'm sure good coaches will be lining up to come here knowing that we are complacent with substandard results and that the athletic department as a whole isn't prioritizing winning and won't demand excellence." 

Sarkisian was an abject failure. Getting fired for being an abject failure isn't a red flag to anyone, anywhere. 

Are you happy that Drayton appears to be the #1 guy for the Temple job?

1 hour ago, burdine said:

Recruits are going to the schools putting players into the NFL.  Until we start doing that, we are very vulnerable to negative recruiting.

We are gonna have to develop some kids and get them drafted to really get momentum IMO.

…..except for the fact that Jimbo hasn’t had a first round pick at aggy and I believe UT has had more guys drafted over the past 3-4 years. 

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I get that after one year everyone else realizes this isn't the guy - but unless he goes full Charlie and gives us back to back to back losing seasons - he's getting 4 years.

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we go 6-6 or 5-7 again all bets are off. 

Part of me wants to believe "the haves" who donate massive amounts of money for buyouts won't accept another mediocre offer with middle-tier money (5-6MM). At the same time, we all need to protect ourselves from the assumption that our athletic department will do anything resembling an intelligent decision. Maybe the fourth!!! time around, they won't shit themselves again.

I don't know... @closetojumping is actually connected to those folks, so maybe he has some insights for when Sark inevitability gets fired. Hell, maybe @Barbacoa too. I doubt those folks tolerate another losing season with all of our NIL funding, as well as the move to the SEC, on the horizon. Time to actually break out the Brinks truck for the actual hire, IMO.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If anything, the top portal guys want to win even faster. You have to be a great evaluator for both recruiting HS and secondary portal players. It’s not easy to just bring in kids because they may have played 5 snaps somewhere else. You have to know how to evaluate talent.

What has shown us that these guys can evaluate this year? What recruits have we gotten that have improved their recruiting ranking? Instead, we might be going after kids that we lost out on that are now dropping in the rankings. This recruiting staff lacks everything. They don’t have anyone that can go into any HS area and pick out a good talent. Sark has never done that. He hasn’t had to at USC and Bama. And the guys he wanted to do that here weren’t allowed to come on board. 

Thanks a lot compliance. You stupid whore cunt. 

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

…..except for the fact that Jimbo hasn’t had a first round pick at aggy and I believe UT has had more guys drafted over the past 3-4 years. 

I think he has two this year.  How many do we have this year?

Our guys are mostly getting drafted late. 

When is the last time we had two first round picks in the same year?  

Edited by burdine

1 minute ago, burdine said:

Baylor might be a good model for where we are today frankly.  I know that we're Texas and all.

Didn't their coach go 2-7 last year?  Did they try and get him to tank as some on this page are suggesting?

I think they tried to fix/upgrade what they had.

Baylor model is different. This is where I had some issues. People yammer about how great a job they did rebuilding. Their model has been consistent, since Briles left. Roll with young players, take your pain, and every 3-4 years you compete. They added in the Portal this year and changed the offense, so it is not a perfect comp to the Rhule rebuild. This was also something the Purple Wizard did also. Every 3-4 years he would come in with a very experienced team and put the Big 12 on notice. It is common practice for teams that dont recruit well. It is exactly what OK State did on defense when Knowles came in.  I argued after Baylor there is was 0 incentive to play older players. You could have started the youth  movement after OSU. The greatest benefit of being a new coach is having a year where record doesnt really matter. I dont think Sark is cut throat enough to make moves like that. 

Offer Dabo 15 million a year for 10 years, unlimited staff budget, unlimited recruiting budget, unlimited private jet access, unlimited everything, and you let him pick and choose how the football program is run who to hire and who to fire within the ranks of associate AD’s. You give him basically GM role. You tell that whore Plonsky to go choke on some cunt muff. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The longer you allow the culture of losing to fester the harder and more expensive it is going to be to turn things around. Giving another clueless HC his "standard" 4-5 years to turn things around does nothing but harm to the program, as it further entrenches the losing mentality, making it that much harder for the next coach. Sark should and will get another year to show progress. If that doesn't happen, we would be much better off cutting bait immediately and go after a proven winner, not matter the cost.

46 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I don't see it suggested very often.  I see tons of dumbfuck "fire da corch!" suggestions, as if we don't have enough evidence by now to see what playing musical coaches gets you.  At some point you have to just make a choice and stick with it.

Which of the coaches we've fired in the past decade do you contend we fire too soon? Concrete examples?

Our problem has been hiring shit coaches in the first place, not firing them too early. Sark will get his three years, same as Charlie did.

31 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Good coaches will be lining up to come here, thrilled to know they'll have one whole fucking season to put their system in place.

Well they already aren't, that horse has left the stable. There's a reason we ended up with Sark.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

As far as I am concerned all these excuses blaming the athletic department, Texas high school soft talent or money whipping recruits are us in the bargaining stage of grief knowing we hired the wrong coach.  All it takes to turn things around is the right coach hire because every other program in recent years that hired the right coach turned shit shows around almost overnight. Sark on the other hand took a shit show and put it on blast by losing to Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just look at what is going on with our program. Completely embarrassed by Arkansas, being on the wrong side of the biggest comeback in RRS history, 4th Q pants shitting against the two teams in the Big 12 CCG, kids laughing on the bus after a second half throttling against ISU, complete humiliation at home against Kansas in front of important recruits, and a 6 game losing streak topped off with a loss against a WVU that was trying to stay bowl eligible themselves. This has possibly been the worst season Ive ever witnessed. Absolutely brutal. 

This is just my opinion, but there is only one lever that was going to salvage this class, and we arent pulling it. Meanwhile, a&m has gone full throttle in a way I really cant remember in this state. Its a shit sandwich, and now we have to eat it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Moderator said:

I don’t think negative recruiting is necessary. Have you seen this team play, we do it to ourselves. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're going to get run over in the portal as well. Look around. They've got oodles of immediate playing time offer multiple positions and they're whiffing repeatedly. This shit is systemic with this staff. Sarkisian is incompetent as a lead guy, and he's not holding his staff accountable. Texas missing on Devin Brown and seeing him head to OSU to ride pine, knowingly, for potentially multiple years, is the clearest canary in the coal mine anywhere here should be looking for at this stage. Light the cigarettes, boys, as we've already been fucked.

I really don't understand how they are so bad at closing. A lot of these guys were known as good recruiters, and iirc even Sark recruited well as HC at UW and USC. Obviously bags are a major issue and the season didn't help but it seems like the staff is just flat out not recruiting well despite their history. 

Since you've mentioned it a few times, curious what you mean by "holding his staff accountable." You just talking about firing the underperformers or something else?

Offer Dabo 15 million a year for 10 years, unlimited staff budget, unlimited recruiting budget, unlimited private jet access, unlimited everything, and you let him pick and choose how the football program is run who to hire and who to fire within the ranks of associate AD’s. You give him basically GM role. You tell that whore Plonsky to go choke on some cunt muff. 

You'll need a church as well.

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I get that after one year everyone else realizes this isn't the guy - but unless he goes full Charlie and gives us back to back to back losing seasons - he's getting 4 years.

Not with the way recruiting is going.  This is looking to be worst than the Charlie years. 

52 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I am not suggesting we fire the coach but this coach has not excelled in anything to date giving me hope that he can turn things around. He needs a lot of help. Getting a coach like Patterson is paramount imo. If you are CDC, you have to be strategic about it. Get Patterson to the 40 acres in whatever capacity you can and have him advise the DC and HC or even let him be the DC or make him the associate HC. Have a backup plan in place just in case Sark shits the bed next year. 

His offense seems to work very well when the players execute it.  Even slightly better performance from the QB and the OL and this season looks a lot different.  I haven't given up on Card yet, and I have faith that Flood can improve the OL if given time.  The defense was a major issue, especially the lack of any kind of pass rush, but the Patterson news would suggest he recognizes that and is taking steps to address it.

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is a reactionary opinion.  There isn't enough data on Sark yet to make that judgement.

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Which of the coaches we've fired in the past decade do you contend we fire too soon? Concrete examples?

Our problem has been hiring shit coaches in the first place, not firing them too early. Sark will get his three years, same as Charlie did.

Well they already aren't, that horse has left the stable. There's a reason we ended up with Sark.

Each of our previous two coaches was given enough time to show what they were capable of.  Charlie earned his shitcanning with three straight losing seasons.  It might have been a good idea to give Herman another year, but he was a miserable cunt who no one liked so he kind of earned his shitcanning as well.  Sark has had one season, and that's not enough time to draw a definitive conclusion.  If he continues to lose, he'll go, but any suggestion of firing Sark after one season is an opinion to be disregarded.

Edited by TriStone
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ONE YARD said:

Not with the way recruiting is going.  This is looking to be worst than the Charlie years. 

To be fair, Charlie and Tom didn't have to contend with A&M blowing historical bag numbers out of the water. Even with our struggles this class would look a lot better if it weren't for them cheating in such a huge way.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This is a reactionary opinion.  There isn't enough data on Sark yet to make that judgement.

Each of our previous two coaches was given enough time to show what they were capable of.  Charlie earned his shitcanning with three straight losing seasons.  It might have been a good idea to give Herman another year, but he was a miserable cunt who no one liked so he kind of earned his shitcanning as well.  Sark has had one season, and that's not enough time to draw a definitive conclusion.  If he continues to lose, he'll go, but any suggestion of firing Sark after one season is an opinion to be disregarded.  

Very true and I think most reasonable people agree. Much of the Sark angst is because people really trusted him and had high expectations this season and he let them down big time. Sark's ability to lead this program is not being questioned based on his actually coaching ability or his offense, most people love what they've seen. Its the Arky, Kansas, and Iowa State games. Those results cannot and should not ever occur at this program. That is the data which has many concerned. My hope for Sark is that we had zero returning production from last year, our QB and OL play was garbage yet we still had one of the top offenses in CFB, and under him we are going to be elite again on special teams. It appears that he has to really screw up not to win 8 next year. But another losing season would be impossible to defend, that would be all the data we need. 

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

To be fair, Charlie and Tom didn't have to contend with A&M blowing historical bag numbers out of the water. Even with our struggles this class would look a lot better if it weren't for them cheating in such a huge way.

And Sark is getting paid 6 million to figure this shit out. There are no excuses at that pay grade. Figure out a way to get the resources you need or fuck off and stop wasting our time. You think Chris Beard let our incompetent athletic department dictate whether or not he was going to succeed?

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting