Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, they were both slow. It’s not a fuzzy recollection for me. “What do you think of the Green guy?” “Ran a 4.75 at our camp. Bunch of slow corners coming in there. “

ESPN has him at a 4.69 40, which while not fast for a corner, isn't a 4.75 or 4.80 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/214383/jalen-green

1 minute ago, Fud said:

ESPN has him at a 4.69 40, which while not fast for a corner, isn't a 4.75 or 4.80 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/214383/jalen-green

I mean if he ran a 4.69 at one camp, seems pretty plausible or even likely he ran a 4.75 at another. 

I just remember Nahlin pumping his athleticism and saying he should be the #1 player in the state all year, but then when you watched him at camps, he never seemed that special as an athlete and needed a lot of technique work. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I mean if he ran a 4.69 at one camp, seems pretty plausible or even likely he ran a 4.75 at another. 

I just remember Nahlin pumping his athleticism and saying he should be the #1 player in the state all year, but then when you watched him at camps, he never seemed that special as an athlete and needed a lot of technique work. 

Either way, I remember hearing that Cook ran a 4.80 at Rivals and had the time scratched, and since CTJ specifically said 4.80, I thought he was mixing the two up 

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think that was Cook, not Green 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, they were both slow. It’s not a fuzzy recollection for me. “What do you think of the Green guy?” “Ran a 4.75 at our camp. Bunch of slow corners coming in there. “

ESPN has him as a 4.69, which is not fast. Regardless he's Miss St's problem now.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Either way, I remember hearing that Cook ran a 4.80 at Rivals and had the time scratched, and since CTJ specifically said 4.80, I thought he was mixing the two up 

I can work numbers and math on the fly as well as anyone here when it matters. Otherwise, I’m playing fast and loose with them for conversational purposes. 5 tenths of a second in a 40 when it’s slow either way isn’t something worth holding me accountable for because it’s never going to be important to me.

My take comes from someone who saw him in person at the time and said he’s not an excellent athlete and slow for a CB. I think you and others here can appreciate that in that line of work, they’re not always publishing every measurable for a player. In fact, they often don’t when it doesn’t suit overarching goals like filling an all star game roster and so forth. 

If memory serves, they never published a lot of the Omeire camp data, as another for instance. It’s also a big reason that I remain highly skeptical of Omeire’s prospects. Same dipshits hyping him were the guys touting Green and pushing the “so and so WR is really crushing it in summer practices” narrative every summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

i was with @Fud thinking this was Cook, not Green. As far as I can tell they both ran 4.69 40s as recruits.

edit: my point is they were both much slower than i remembered.

Edited by NoName

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Everything has been our Achilles heel the last decade.  We’ve been more like the inverse Achilles that is vulnerable everywhere except a tiny portion of the heel.

We just need more guys with NFL measurables in general from recruiting.  It’s not like we’ve even had a bunch of workout warriors who get drafted despite our losing games, like Florida State with Bowden at the end or Miami at times when they’ve been down.  Herman improved the roster, but he was better at restocking with NFL size than at upgrading team speed.  In fact, he was seemingly uninterested in speed even at skill positions, which was an exceedingly stupid hill to die on in the modern spread era of college football.  

Sark has a pretty good opportunity, though, at least compared to Herman in 2017 or Strong in 2014.  Usually a program rebuild involves much more than, “Hey, find someone to replace one edge rusher who went pro and then find a couple of fast WR/RBs to round out this 7-3 team that should have been 9-1 last year.”

Herm lost out on Waddle, Moore and I think Watkins (kid from Florida).  Those guys were fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I don't know how they have Brown in an Orange colored house based on what we've read in this thread.  

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herm lost out on Waddle, Moore and I think Watkins (kid from Florida).  Those guys were fast.

Watkins certainly had a speedy college-to-jail sprint.

Also, reading an article about it, the dude seems to have some mental issues that go beyond just anger:

When Watkins was in the back of the police car, per the report, he told police that “[UF teammate] Joseph does voodoo and has been doing voodoo on Watkins for some time now, causing problems in his life, such as his phone screen crashing.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Left out of Agbo's top 5. OT recruiting continues on its stellar trajectory

That's a rough one, esp because ASU is an active dumpster fire and LSU is an active crime scene. 

it sounds like he's going to OU if they will take him 

The Sooners’ mid-June recruiting rendezvous represented Agbo’s second official visit; he’d previously taken a trip to Miami, but in the aftermath of his venture to Norman, it was very clear that he favored the atmosphere at Oklahoma.

"It was the real deal compared to Miami," said Agbo. "It was a live experience from the moment I got picked up from the airport all the way till we got dropped off."

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe the first kid to ever have a better overall experience in Norman versus Miami. 
Think he just ratted on blowU with that one sentence. Even people who love Norman Oklafuckinhoma would never compare their city favorably to Miami unless paid to do so..

Four-Star Earnest Greene breaks down June visit to Texas
GREG BIGGINS

Spoiler

Four-Star Earnest Greene breaks down June visit to Texas
GREG BIGGINS

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco offensive lineman Earnest Greene spent the last couple of days in June before the dead period checking out Oklahoma and Texas.

Greene is currently rated the No. 59 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite as well as the No. 2 offensive guard in the country. He plays tackle at the high school level but we think he probably slides inside and plays guard once he hits college.

He cut his list of schools to 10 back in May, headlined by Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC. He was active in June and visited Ohio State and USC early on and then checked out Texas back on June 25.

"It was cool, I liked it a lot there," Greene said. "I've known coach (Kyle) Flood and coach Sark for a long time now since they were recruiting me at Bama so I'm really comfortable with those guys. Those guys are two of the best in the business at what they do and it was great to sit down and talk with them.

"I loved the campus and the city of Austin too. It was bigger then I expected it to be, it felt a lot like home for me and it was really nice to walk around and get a good feel for the place. I did a workout there with coach Flood too and that went really well and it was fun working with him."

Greene said his favorite part of the visit was talking football and watching film with Kyle Flood, the Horns OL coach. 

"We watched film and talked football for about 45 minutes and I loved that," Greene said. "All the recruiting stuff is fine and all but I really enjoy just talking football and it was great to do that with coach Flood. It was fun to finally talk with those guys in person and connect on that level. 

"I plan to be back for an official visit in the fall. I don't have a date yet but I know I'll be visiting Ohio State for the Oregon game and Georgia and Alabama might get one too. USC is another option in December but I'm still working out all those details right now."

Greene was invited to the All-American Bowl and said he plans to make his commitment out in San Antonio on Jan. 8.

image.thumb.png.ea61d8c16b20e6988407043dbb349ee2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Geezus, a guy that would be our #1 OL recruit is hoping ou will take him?  FML

Well, he'd be the top commit now, but Devon Campbell is higher rated.

And of course OU is doing better OOS, they have a national sales pitch right now - "want to go to the Playoff at least two of the years you're here and probably block for a Heisman winner?"

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting