Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Thiefery said:

how are the  current committed guys doing so far?  Hear any rumblings of de commits (other than Winfield)?

I havent heard anything negative. Stewart is still in play for us. I still like our chances with Campbell. Dont know what to think about Banks. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but I know where it is if its time to push it. Frustrating day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Inside Texas checks in with top 2022 OL target Kelvin Banks, offers the latest from 2023 Isaiah Robinson, and speaks with newest OL offer Nate Kibble. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Kelvin Banks, Shadow Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON) – 2022:

The 6-foot-5, 315-pound On3 consensus five-star and No. 27 overall prospect is keeping the Horns close. The Oregon pledge was set to see College Station last weekend, but didn’t make the trip. He fully intends on making it to Austin on Saturday.

“Texas stays on me,” said Banks. “Coach Sarkisian and coach Flood just want me to stay closer to home. They say I could come in and play early and not have to wait.”

He remains solid to the Ducks and coach Mario Cristobal, who texts Banks daily. But the idea of playing closer to home, where his family and friends can watch him, is becoming more of a possibility.

Right now, he’s trying to improve his own game.

“I really want to improve my technique,” Banks said. “I’m focused on being a better leader for my teammates. I want to bring that mentality to college.”

Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU are pushing the most. The Tigers are still trying to get him back to Baton Rouge. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Aggies try to reschedule his visit.

For now, the Horns are holding their own in this pursuit. A strong showing by the Longhorns on Saturday could go a long way in these sweepstakes.

OL Isaiah Robinson, Lamar (Arlington, TX) – 2023

Texas needs tackles. Isaiah Robinson fits the profile.

At 6-foot-7, 278 pounds, the 2023 On300 prospect keeps in touch with the Texas staff as he continues to fill out his frame.

“For Texas, I just really loved the campus when I was there in the summer,” Robinson said. “Austin looks like a pretty cool place to be. They have a top theater program and that’s what I want to major in. I want to be an actor. Coach Flood is just a cool guy. He wanted to come over and meet my parents at the camp. He stopped what he was doing to come meet them and that was big to me. I’m actually coming down to Austin this weekend for the game.”

One thing that stands out for the Horns is Kyle Flood.

“He always sends me text messages and a Hook’ Em afterwards,” said Robinson. “Sometimes they’re motivational, sometimes it’s just how you doing, and sometimes it’s about the team. He also has a good track record of putting guys in the NFL.”

Some of the schools standing out early are Texas, Baylor, USC, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M. He’s seen College Station a few times as well. His plans are set for the next few weeks.

“I’ll be at Texas this weekend,” said Robinson. “We may go to Texas Tech next week, and we’re definitely going to Baylor on November 27th.”

Texas looks good here, and I expect Texas Tech to be involved. Him and his family got to know Joey McGuire at Baylor and are interested in what he has to say in Lubbock.

But for UT, the search for offensive tackles continues and they’re building a great bond here with the Arlington native.

OL Nate Kibble, Atascocita (Humble, TX) – 2024:

At 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, the sophomore is the latest from the OL factory known as Atascocita. Sam Cosmi, Kenyon Green, and Kam Dewberry are a few of Coach Moses’ best prospects recently. Kibble knows he’s next.

“It been fun learning on the go but it’s a fun process,” said Kibble about early recruiting. “Just want to find a place like home.”

With four offers including Texas, Houston, Texas State, and UTSA, his stock will only rise. The Horns are attacking these early evaluations.

“(Texas) told me they were going to keep looking at me,” said Kibble. “I have work to do but they like the way I play and I can’t wait to get better.”

His teammate and fellow O-linemen, Kam Dewberry, is showing Kibble the ropes, just like bringing him to Austin for the first game of 2021.

“Kam (Dewberry) told us he still undecided, but I came to UT when they played Louisiana week 1,” Kibble said. “The atmosphere is crazy there. Everyone was a Texas fan.”

Of note: Texas coach Steve Sarkisian will be at the South Oak Cliff game tomorrow night. The Bears are full of dudes like Jamyri Cauley, Kyron Chambers, and Jayvon Thomas.

EDIT (4:37pm):

On3's Scott Schrader reports Larry Turner-Gooden will be back in Austin for an UOV on Saturday. He took his official to UT on October 16th. Good news getting the Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) defensive back on campus.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I havent heard anything negative. Stewart is still in play for us. I still like our chances with Campbell. Dont know what to think about Banks. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but I know where it is if its time to push it. Frustrating day. 

Just hearsay, but coworker’s son plays at Frisco Liberty. I asked my coworker today, and his son said Stewart is for sure committed to aggy, fwiw. 
I think it’s safe to assume that’s correct, and move on. Also, apparently Stewart is in an “alternative schooling program”, and coworker still insists that failed drug tests were the primary reason he was kicked off the team. 
Don’t shoot the messenger…

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Lincoln at LSU is worse for texas than him being at Oklahoma, but OUsux so I love it
Anyone who can actually coach having the built in advantage of all the best players in Louisiana practically being born with purple and gold blood..plus LSU being an attractive option with some top Texas talent will be bad for Texas football..and aggy/blowU as well. The best we can hope for is they hire another moron that can only win it all in years they have better players than the rest of the country..and the coach gets out of the way enough to let it happen. Coach Oeaux seemed to be along for the ride in 2019, more of a cheerleader who allowed his players/coordinators to do their thing.

1 minute ago, turtlepond said:

Just hearsay, but coworker’s son plays at Frisco Liberty. I asked my coworker today, and his son said Stewart is for sure committed to aggy, fwiw. 
I think it’s safe to assume that’s correct, and move on. Also, apparently Stewart is in an “alternative schooling program”, and coworker still insists that failed drug tests were the primary reason he was kicked off the team. 

@KnoxtnhornHow common is it for high school kids to be in alternative school for failed drug tests? Curious for personal knowledge. 

7 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Wouldnt be surprised if he's "committed". But he's still in play. 

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Thanks. @Barbacoa, was there nothing on the defensive coaching tidbit they mentioned?

The story of the week — well, other than Bo Davis’ well-received tirade — is health. Since IT has been doing practice notes over the last 10 years we can’t recall this much injury uncertainty heading into a game. Along with bruised egos, there are a number of guys who are maybe for Saturday. The good news is, not a lot of players are sure to be out at this point, and some players who were held out earlier in the week returned today.

Health concerns necessarily alter practice format. Some guys have briefly switched positions to shore up depth; the coaches are not worried about pace as much as teaching; they did more 7 on 7 than in recent weeks; etc.

IT would predict Casey Thompson gets the nod to start this week but also that Hudson Card will likely play. Either way, KU will be planning to see both.

Kansas could catch Texas at a better place (in Lawrence) but not at a better time. Unless….the team responds positively to the Bo Davis outburst having become public. Then it could be a very bad time. We get the sense Davis’ viral oration might have been a wake-up call to the players — not just from Davis himself but the support he received nearly unanimously from football people and fans alike.

As an example of a possibly re-focused team, we would have privately predicted a couple players to miss time on Saturday who may actually play now.

Sark left it up to the players to determine the fate of the player who released the video.

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

A lot of these players have to know they’re playing for the chance to finish their degree at a school like Texas, or that they won’t have nearly as good of football prospects once they’re in the portal.

Regarding the player in question, yesterday I mentioned the player was “known.” That player did not practice today and we have the portal article ready to go, but there might be some echo chamber involved with the name we’re hearing. It is not one of the convenient names fans attach to everything that ails the program. But, we wouldn’t release the player’s name even if we knew it for 100% rather than 90%.

And while we’re not releasing names, IT has heard the program has reached out to a former college DC to offer some assistance with self-scouting/scouting. We haven’t been able to confirm it to a satisfactory level but we believe this known DC, though not well-known DC, has been assisting the last week or so. To be clear, we’re not reporting it as fact, but it’s a good morsel to chew on while we work to confirm it. If it’s true, it sends a positive message about Sark and Pete Kwiatkowski.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The story of the week — well, other than Bo Davis’ well-received tirade — is health. Since IT has been doing practice notes over the last 10 years we can’t recall this much injury uncertainty heading into a game. Along with bruised egos, there are a number of guys who are maybe for Saturday. The good news is, not a lot of players are sure to be out at this point, and some players who were held out earlier in the week returned today.

Health concerns necessarily alter practice format. Some guys have briefly switched positions to shore up depth; the coaches are not worried about pace as much as teaching; they did more 7 on 7 than in recent weeks; etc.

IT would predict Casey Thompson gets the nod to start this week but also that Hudson Card will likely play. Either way, KU will be planning to see both.

Kansas could catch Texas at a better place (in Lawrence) but not at a better time. Unless….the team responds positively to the Bo Davis outburst having become public. Then it could be a very bad time. We get the sense Davis’ viral oration might have been a wake-up call to the players — not just from Davis himself but the support he received nearly unanimously from football people and fans alike.

As an example of a possibly re-focused team, we would have privately predicted a couple players to miss time on Saturday who may actually play now.

Sark left it up to the players to determine the fate of the player who released the video.

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

A lot of these players have to know they’re playing for the chance to finish their degree at a school like Texas, or that they won’t have nearly as good of football prospects once they’re in the portal.

Regarding the player in question, yesterday I mentioned the player was “known.” That player did not practice today and we have the portal article ready to go, but there might be some echo chamber involved with the name we’re hearing. It is not one of the convenient names fans attach to everything that ails the program. But, we wouldn’t release the player’s name even if we knew it for 100% rather than 90%.

And while we’re not releasing names, IT has heard the program has reached out to a former college DC to offer some assistance with self-scouting/scouting. We haven’t been able to confirm it to a satisfactory level but we believe this known DC, though not well-known DC, has been assisting the last week or so. To be clear, we’re not reporting it as fact, but it’s a good morsel to chew on while we work to confirm it. If it’s true, it sends a positive message about Sark and Pete Kwiatkowski.

We have the portal article ready to go, Jesus. Somebody should abduct all those Texas 9.95ers and water board them in a basement one by one for a fuckin week. Tell them as they walk out shell shocked that from here on out you write positive shit for this program or shut the fuck up and the very next time you fuck something up for us you’ll be back here in this basement. That got a little dark sorry. Those guys are a beating. 

26 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

A silent commitment is not a commitment 

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard that the player was Montrell Estell, has that not been confirmed? And that DC analyst bit is not good news about PK, but it might indicate staff changes are on the horizon.
Not sure why IT would refuse to release the name if they know it, the Supreme court ended any illusion of college sports being amateur. Beyond that, they are only still kids while they're in high school..once they enroll in college that status ends. We're talking about 18-19 year olds who could potentially make 6 figures with NIL, and 3 years away from a shot at much more than that in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I heard that the player was Montrell Estell, has that not been confirmed? And that DC analyst bit is not good news about PK, but it might indicate staff changes are on the horizon.

I don’t think this means anything regarding PK one way or the other. Defensive analysts are super common and we should have had one already if we didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

The old bringing in the self scouter to make it look like we are trying to do something....I call BS as they should already have had someone self scouting from the first game.  If it is true they haven't been then I'm not sure what to say.  I can't believe Sark would be that incompetent.

If we did hire someone I think we already know the name of the "self scouter".....His first name begins and ends with the same letter.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

What’s your o/u on 5-stars in this class? Denver Harris being the one we’re after I guess. 

Feels like 0.5 to me with these Stewart developments. Basically Campbell the main realistic one, with outside shots at Evan, Harris, and Banks. 

Edited by Tex-19

Seeing how difficult it seems for a major university to assemble even a borderline competent football team over the last 10 years is really something to behold. I'd argue that if you ran this simulation 100 times from 2009-present, there might be only a handful of results that look worse than what we have. The futility is almost impressive in that regard.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

There is a lot of bad stuff happening with recruiting right now. Barton is not one of them. Give the kid credit for giving his announcement some uncertainty, but he was always going to the place his dad and brother went. 

Not so fast my friend - the Brockermeyers

12 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Utah isn’t a dumpster fire. And Utah has put a lot of kids in the NFL on the defensive side. The Brocks are unfortunately not the norm in recruiting. UT had a 99% chance of winning that battle at the start of it. We just did everything wrong. 

Yeah, them going from a JAG QB to a decent one, really turned their season around. 5-1 since, I think Texas would be better with Rising at QB in this system too.

Fillinger is having a freshmen AA season too. 28 TTs 7 TFL 4 S.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Rage+1 4

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, them going from a JAG QB to a decent one, really turned their season around. 5-1 since, I think Texas would be better with Rising at QB in this system too.

Fillinger is having a freshmen AA season too. 28 TTs 7 TFL 4 S.

despite being against dogshit pac 12 competition but will give him credit

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Inside Texas checks in with top 2022 OL target Kelvin Banks, offers the latest from 2023 Isaiah Robinson, and speaks with newest OL offer Nate Kibble. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Kelvin Banks, Shadow Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON) – 2022:

The 6-foot-5, 315-pound On3 consensus five-star and No. 27 overall prospect is keeping the Horns close. The Oregon pledge was set to see College Station last weekend, but didn’t make the trip. He fully intends on making it to Austin on Saturday.

“Texas stays on me,” said Banks. “Coach Sarkisian and coach Flood just want me to stay closer to home. They say I could come in and play early and not have to wait.”

He remains solid to the Ducks and coach Mario Cristobal, who texts Banks daily. But the idea of playing closer to home, where his family and friends can watch him, is becoming more of a possibility.

Right now, he’s trying to improve his own game.

“I really want to improve my technique,” Banks said. “I’m focused on being a better leader for my teammates. I want to bring that mentality to college.”

Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU are pushing the most. The Tigers are still trying to get him back to Baton Rouge. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Aggies try to reschedule his visit.

For now, the Horns are holding their own in this pursuit. A strong showing by the Longhorns on Saturday could go a long way in these sweepstakes.

OL Isaiah Robinson, Lamar (Arlington, TX) – 2023

Texas needs tackles. Isaiah Robinson fits the profile.

At 6-foot-7, 278 pounds, the 2023 On300 prospect keeps in touch with the Texas staff as he continues to fill out his frame.

“For Texas, I just really loved the campus when I was there in the summer,” Robinson said. “Austin looks like a pretty cool place to be. They have a top theater program and that’s what I want to major in. I want to be an actor. Coach Flood is just a cool guy. He wanted to come over and meet my parents at the camp. He stopped what he was doing to come meet them and that was big to me. I’m actually coming down to Austin this weekend for the game.”

One thing that stands out for the Horns is Kyle Flood.

“He always sends me text messages and a Hook’ Em afterwards,” said Robinson. “Sometimes they’re motivational, sometimes it’s just how you doing, and sometimes it’s about the team. He also has a good track record of putting guys in the NFL.”

Some of the schools standing out early are Texas, Baylor, USC, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M. He’s seen College Station a few times as well. His plans are set for the next few weeks.

“I’ll be at Texas this weekend,” said Robinson. “We may go to Texas Tech next week, and we’re definitely going to Baylor on November 27th.”

Texas looks good here, and I expect Texas Tech to be involved. Him and his family got to know Joey McGuire at Baylor and are interested in what he has to say in Lubbock.

But for UT, the search for offensive tackles continues and they’re building a great bond here with the Arlington native.

OL Nate Kibble, Atascocita (Humble, TX) – 2024:

At 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, the sophomore is the latest from the OL factory known as Atascocita. Sam Cosmi, Kenyon Green, and Kam Dewberry are a few of Coach Moses’ best prospects recently. Kibble knows he’s next.

“It been fun learning on the go but it’s a fun process,” said Kibble about early recruiting. “Just want to find a place like home.”

With four offers including Texas, Houston, Texas State, and UTSA, his stock will only rise. The Horns are attacking these early evaluations.

“(Texas) told me they were going to keep looking at me,” said Kibble. “I have work to do but they like the way I play and I can’t wait to get better.”

His teammate and fellow O-linemen, Kam Dewberry, is showing Kibble the ropes, just like bringing him to Austin for the first game of 2021.

“Kam (Dewberry) told us he still undecided, but I came to UT when they played Louisiana week 1,” Kibble said. “The atmosphere is crazy there. Everyone was a Texas fan.”

Of note: Texas coach Steve Sarkisian will be at the South Oak Cliff game tomorrow night. The Bears are full of dudes like Jamyri Cauley, Kyron Chambers, and Jayvon Thomas.

EDIT (4:37pm):

On3's Scott Schrader reports Larry Turner-Gooden will be back in Austin for an UOV on Saturday. He took his official to UT on October 16th. Good news getting the Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) defensive back on campus.

Oh I cannot fucking wait for the meltdown on Surly if Texas takes a theater major OT.

Also never really occurred to me Cosmi, Green, and Dewberry all went to Atascosita. Not to mention Kelvin Banks in the same immediate area. Must be all the brodozer exhaust.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Not sure why IT would refuse to release the name if they know it, the Supreme court ended any illusion of college sports being amateur. Beyond that, they are only still kids while they're in high school..once they enroll in college that status ends. We're talking about 18-19 year olds who could potentially make 6 figures with NIL, and 3 years away from a shot at much more than that in the NFL.

Because sometimes it's beneficial for the Longhorn football team to hqve the 9.95ers keep their fucking traps shut, and not print everything they hear or know. 

I know you are desperate for the tittelating details from the pages of these shitty gossip rags, but perhaps it's best left unsaid and the team can get the perp straight and be a positive contributor. If not, then you'll hear about it when he hits the portal. 

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I know kids are fucking morons most of the time, but Brown knows his shit. A ball hog like Evan Stewart isn't going to aggy to block. It may not be Texas, but it sure as fuck won't be aggy. That kid wants catches, and not the syphilis kind from sheep, either. 

The link below states that syphilis came to humans from cattle or sheep (possibly sexually). To which I say in bewilderment, there were aggy centuries ago?

https://www.animalresearch.info/en/medical-advances/diseases-research/stis-sexually-transmitted-infections/

• Haha 2

Just now, UDontKnow said:

The link below states that syphilis came to humans from cattle or sheep (possibly sexually). To which I say in bewilderment, there were aggy centuries ago?

https://www.animalresearch.info/en/medical-advances/diseases-research/stis-sexually-transmitted-infections/

They've always tended to the sheep, even while still living in huts in Cypress. 

• Like 1

I know kids are fucking morons most of the time, but Brown knows his shit. A ball hog like Evan Stewart isn't going to aggy to block. It may not be Texas, but it sure as fuck won't be aggy. That kid wants catches, and not the syphilis kind from sheep, either. 
Jimbo could sell sand to a Sheik, I wouldn't count aggy out of the bidding war.

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
41 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

True. He did get Demas (who so far is a bust, who would've thought?). If he ends up there, he deserves it. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

8 minutes ago, ousux said:
39 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

And to a degree they’re probably working to land him to simply keep him from ending up in Austin. Also probably just raising the bidding to make us work more for Stewart.

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

@KnoxtnhornHow common is it for high school kids to be in alternative school for failed drug tests? Curious for personal knowledge. 

I’ve never heard of that. Only way to get into alternative school for drugs back in my day (~10 years ago) was to 1) actually get caught with drugs/alcohol at school or 2)show up to school very drunk or high. And for #1 the actual police would get involved and you’d be arrested. Same for fighting, anyone involved in an on-campus fight would get arrested, court dates & fines and everything. And you’d be going to alternative school for a while. “Zero tolerance”.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting