Post Vaxxed Life

hornian

51 minutes ago, hornian said:

At my office (I own the building), we switched to masks optional if vaccinated; mandatory if not vaxxed. Has been great not wearing masks, I’d say about 50% of people visiting the building still wear masks. 

Shopping today; went to Tractor Supply in Cedar Park, didn’t wear a mask, I was probably in the majority. Later, at Costco on Great Hills (NW Austin), I thought I had a mask in pocket but I didn’t, so I went in instead of going back to the truck for one.  I was in the minority not wearing one; I’d say about 95% were wearing masks there even though not required. 

Anyway, it was kinda strange, but I liked it.  My wife is calling me an anti masker now; and I just told her “I trust the science.” Although if I’m out with my kids I’ll still wear my mask - they have to since they are too young for the vaccine, so I’ll continue out of solidarity with them  

My wife is pregnant, so a little more “careful” than me, But also we’ve been vaxxed for over a month now. Had to go to specs as next week is my birthday and their sign was basically “please wear a mask or don’t” so I did not. She did at first and after i had mine off she took hers off. We were probably 20% of people not wearing a mask but fuck that. Let’s normalize normal Behavior (if you’ve been vaxxed etc etc). Our cashier was double masked and was clearly scared of me but as far as I’m concerned I’ve done my part and I’m good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

At my office (I own the building), we switched to masks optional if vaccinated; mandatory if not vaxxed. Has been great not wearing masks, I’d say about 50% of people visiting the building still wear masks. 

This is exactly how we're going at work, effective this Monday. Up until now, it has been 100% mask expectation.

I'm not looking forward to policing this shit. HR sent out a memo( see Office Space) regarding HIPAA laws not applying to requirements for the vaccine/ not wearing the mask, and I just rolled my eyes.  It's going to be a fucking headache.  Maybe I am wrong.  Maybe everyone will suddenly not be seeking to be a pain in the ass when it comes to personal behavior.

I am not optimistic, at all.

Edited by slorch

42 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is exactly what I expect of the W crowd. I can’t quite decide if he owns a home alarm business or scams Medicare with a Rascal scooter store.

fb33006ed541d94f31488003e918ad1d.jpg

Clearly he's an agent that is in the Matrix.

• Hook 'Em 2

Got the email at work last week that masks are no longer required, but are encouraged for those who haven't been vaccinated.  They were the worst about not wearing masks before that, so no masks now.  So nice.  I still carry one with me in case a store requests that they be worn, but I haven't seen any besides HEB, and they don't seem to be enforcing it.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

This is exactly how we're going at work, effective this Monday. Up until now, it has been 100% mask expectation.

I'm not looking forward to policing this shit. HR sent out a memo( see Office Space) regarding HIPAA laws not applying to requirements for the vaccine/ not wearing the mask, and I just rolled my eyes.  It's going to be a fucking headache.  Maybe I am wrong.  Maybe everyone will suddenly not be seeking to be a pain in the ass when it comes to personal behavior.

I am not optimistic, at all.

Would actually like a copy of that memo, my property manager said we couldn't inquire because of HIPAA and I thought "that doesn't seem right" but didn't really have anything of substance to respond with. 

14 minutes ago, hornian said:

Would actually like a copy of that memo, my property manager said we couldn't inquire because of HIPAA and I thought "that doesn't seem right" but didn't really have anything of substance to respond with. 

PM sent.

HIPAA only applies to medical personnel from sharing patient data without permission. It does not cover non medical entities from asking about or requiring a vaccine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/05/19/fact-check-asking-vaccinations-doesnt-violate-hipaa/5165952001/

Not in that article is this other angle...

The one area that could apply is if someone requests a religious or an ADA exemption. First, they prove that exemption status. Then you provide an accommodation. The accommodation is the unvaccinated must wear a mask at all times.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

HIPAA only applies to medical personnel from sharing patient data without permission. It does not cover non medical entities from asking about or requiring a vaccine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/05/19/fact-check-asking-vaccinations-doesnt-violate-hipaa/5165952001/

The one area that could apply is if someone requests a religious or an ADA exemption. First, they prove that exemption status. Then you provide an accommodation. The accommodation is the unvaccinated must wear a mask at all times.

Can’t wait till someone gets busted for forging a medical docu... wait.  Is this an official documentation of a medical procedure or not?

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Texas has the Medical Records Privacy Act which applies HIPAA type protections/obligations to anyone, whether medical personnel or not, who receive protected health information. So, I think the question that we need the answer to, and I'm not the one to answer it, is whether vaccination status qualifies as "protected health information."

6 minutes ago, hornian said:

Texas has the Medical Records Privacy Act which applies HIPAA type protections/obligations to anyone, whether medical personnel or not, who receive protected health information. So, I think the question that we need the answer to, and I'm not the one to answer it, is whether vaccination status qualifies as "protected health information."

Seems pretty clear cut that it would. 

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Flew down to Austin Friday for a quick one day trip to hang out with some friends. This was Buford's on West 6th Friday night. And the W pool

41B01213-C2BF-45CB-A715-13904DE81821.jpeg

6426D40B-1DAE-46F8-88A6-6B29868CC05E.jpeg

Looks like pee wee Herman is back to work

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So how long is HEB going to be the lone hold out?  I put my mask on when going there this weekend because they still have the sign up asking me to but compliance is probably down to about 25% now.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, mchookem said:

so. i went to Trader Joe's yesterday. on Tuesday i had seen the press release that TJ's nationwide (except CA) would no longer require masks.

every sign had been taken down, not even a "recommended" sign... so i (happily) ditched the mask.

i was literally the only person without one. i felt conspicuous and almost put it on... but then i thought 'somebody has to start getting us back to normal' so i didn't. 

it was weird. someone somewhere is prolly bitching about the lady in TJ's without a mask...but i mean, come on.

if you trusted the science before (i did), you should trust it now (i do). seems hypocritical otherwise.

(edited bc Trader Joe's not TJ Max 🙂)

Went to the Trader Joe's over by Arboretum today and almost everyone was still masked up - there were a few of us not masked but the overwhelming majority were.

I got a couple of dirty looks for being maskless but like you said - "if you trusted the science before then you should trust it now" (and like you I trusted it).

I followed the CDC guidance from the start. Why should I stop now? 

Now that said, I went to HEB afterwards where masks are still required and put the mask on. It's their business and that's their rules.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 4

Haircut without a mask on Friday.  Party at an old farmhouse thrown by a retired appellate judge with a huge variety of people followed by dinner and dancing at a small town bar with a full big band orchestra.  It being a small, east Texas town, I didn't see a mask all night and not two shits were given by me or otherwise.  I'm vaxxed.  I could bet there were many who were not. 

At the HEB on San Felipe in Houston today there were probably 20% of the customers without masks. No one told me to put a mask on and I received no dirty looks.

At the Fairmont in Austin over the weekend we check in Friday without masks. The check-in clerk politely said that masks are required so we put them on. When I signed up for wifi they ask how the stay is going. I politely suggested that they follow CDC guidelines and allow vaxxed people to go without masks. The manager replied via text within a couple of hours saying that they just changed their policy to follow the CDC. So no masks required for the vaxxed at the Fairmont. Nice to see companies coming around.

• Like 1

Stopped to get food at a local viet place and they had a sign on the door saying something to the affect 'We know CDC doesn't require vaccinated persons to wear masks indoors but we have no way of knowing who is and isn't vaccinated so we will be continuing to ask that masks be worn inside until further notice'.

Other than that, it's been nice going out most places sans mask. Only other place I still have to wear a mask is our data center but it goes back in the pocket once I'm in the cage. 

On 5/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, Hmmm said:

Compliance is relative to location.  And should be.  IMO.  I wouldn't expect a metropolis to have the same compliance as a small town city.  Are the people of NYC brainwashed too?

On 5/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

Is this a serious question?  The only reasons the vaxxed people of NYC have for wearing masks is a) they’re retarded or b) they don’t want to get hassled. I hosted 5 family members in Dallas from the city or Woodstock a few weekends ago. Those in the city were relieved to be out and not wearing masks. They just don’t wanna be hassled. 

Iron Man Reaction GIF

I love people on this board saying that people in NYC are brainwashed for continuing to wear a mask.  Almost as much as I love someone living in Dallas saying what the people in NYC are thinking based on hearsay from his family.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

I went to get coffee the other morning at Starbucks by the office, without my mask for the first time. I ordered on the app like I've done every day. I usually walk right in, they recognize me, and hand me my coffee.

I'm standing there and the guy who usually hands me my coffee asks for the name on my order.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't recognize you without a mask."

Damn. Fuck these masks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Guest Lobo

One nice thing about the mask is I can more unabashedly stare at women’s asses in public without fear of being recognized.   

I went sans mask today on campus for the first time in 15months.  It was nice but wasn’t the overwhelming sense of relief and Liberty I was expecting.  I find seatbelts more annoying 

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I went to get coffee the other morning at Starbucks by the office, without my mask for the first time. I ordered on the app like I've done every day. I usually walk right in, they recognize me, and hand me my coffee.

I'm standing there and the guy who usually hands me my coffee asks for the name on my order.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't recognize you without a mask."

Damn. Fuck these masks. 

You’re drinking Starbucks coffee so you’re still living in hell. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Biggest single thing i miss is people's expression, especially smiles.

That, and I found out I read lips a shit-ton more than I ever thought I did.  Now everyone is like a Power Ranger.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, slorch said:

Biggest single thing i miss is people's expression, especially smiles.

That, and I found out I read lips a shit-ton more than I ever thought I did.  Now everyone is like a Power Ranger.

Yeah, I was spending more time with Spanish speaking friends and family during the last 15months.  And I never realized how much I rely on seeing their mouths move during speech.  Everybody said my Spanish speaking has noticeably improved and all of them express frustration at having to tell me every fucking thing two or three times.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What if I go into a private business or home where they are mandated?  Is that a reason to wear it?  

a home?  where it's mandated?

LOLz.

Guest Lobo

Okay, strongly encouraged?  Out of respect for the homeowner, have you ever taken off shoes upon request, not drank all their alcohol, or shit in the master bathroom?  I mean, I never listen to that kinda stuff. but I'm told its done in polite society.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Okay, strongly encouraged?  Out of respect for the homeowner, have you ever taken off shoes upon request, not drank all their alcohol, or shit in the master bathroom?  I mean, I never listen to that kinda stuff. but I'm told its done in polite society.  

If it was somebody elderly or with health risks, yep, of course.

If it's just somebody being stupid about it, I probably wouldn't go there.

Guest Lobo

My cousin-in-law, just had spinal surgery.  He's early 60's with a heart condition.  He didn't get the vaccine yet because his surgeon didn't want anything else fucking with his body.  In that same household, is my widower 93 year old uncle.  In good health for his age, he tells me he's only staying alive to see the Indians win the World Series (he played minor league ball for them back the late 1940's).  I wear one around them and that's really the only other household I visit.  

I wear one in businesses that require them and don't wear one in places that don't, out of respect for the employees who I am told are also human beings with medical issues that run the gamut from perfect health to "I look young and normal, but I'm dying inside and need the HEB health insurance."  UT repealed their mask mandates earlier this month.  I wore one last week while on campus out of precaution, though it was no longer mandatory, because so many parents and grandparents were walking around campus with their graduates and I thought it'd be shitty to have the "First in my family to finish college, and first in my family to commit patricide!"  thing happen on my watch.  

I still wear one whenever I do to drop-off or pick-up my oldest at her Elementary School because it's still mandated through the end of the school year.  I do it to show her it's not that bad and it's okay to inconvenience yourself a little to help others.  We all do cosmetic shows of solidarity every day with our kids.  The mask is just one more that hopefully she'll remember with a smile.  "Daddy used to wear one with me to school even though people at dropoff didn't have to."  It doesn't make me a libtery-hating spineless commie.  She knows that Daddy's battles for limited government aren't fought in the pickup line at her kindergarten.  That don't make no sense! 

Plus, she's a kindergartner...the damn mask keeps her from putting her damn hands in her mouth every 30 seconds.  I might just stick with it until she gets over this thumb bullshit

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I was spending more time with Spanish speaking friends and family during the last 15months.  And I never realized how much I rely on seeing their mouths move during speech.  Everybody said my Spanish speaking has noticeably improved and all of them express frustration at having to tell me every fucking thing two or three times.  

How often did you hear this in conversations with them?

“Este es mi primo, Lobo pendejo”.

• Hook 'Em 1