Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve seen historians clearly argue slavery was a net negative economically to the USA and the south.  

Which historians? Or is this just "many people are saying" again? Genuinely curious who you're referencing here, and other analysis of theirs. Because that is some monumentally idiotic reasoning

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus Christ.  

Rinse, lather, repeat.  Sack and his ilk have no interest in honest discussion, it's just the same bullshit thrown up over and over, shot down over and over, doesn't matter.

It doesn't even matter if slavery was a "net negative on the US economy".  That hardly justifies it.  For Sack to angle in that direction tells us everything we need to know about him, which we've known all along -- he's an elitist, silver spoon racist Texas white boy and he is exactly what we should be trying to remove from influence.

Oh yeah, he has black friends.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm rather certain that if you took all of slavery's costs to the present day, well of course it was a net negative.  Even if you ignore the social costs that aren't easily converted to dollars.

This is racist.  You son of a bitch.  

I could say the sky is blue and these cloaktards would disagree and insult me.  

• Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Abolitionists argued slavery was a net negative to the economy and wealth in America.  Racists argued the opposite.  

My dude. Slavery was the primary source of wealth for the south until Sherman burned it all down. Slavery built the south. Many of our founding fathers were slave owners and built their wealth on the backs of slave labor. You're being obtuse, and nobody outside of your bible study or country club buys your schtick. 

Net negative doesn't mean that a select few elite wealthy white land owners didn't build generational wealth that they could pass on to their sack of shit ancestors who would go on to act like they hit a triple after being born on third. Net negative means that more people were harmed than it helped. And wouldn't you know it, there were a shitton more black slaves than there were rich white land owners. 

Racists want to make it harder for black people to vote, ban books from schools that document that history, and segregate their children into education systems that ensure that there won't be no black teachers because """that'll hurt their graduation rate""". Go take your shit to texags. They'll love it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

When you spend your free time telling N*gger jokes at the ranch with the boys, it can be hard to see why slavery in America benefitted white people at the expense of Black people.

Don’t project your white leftist racism on me.  Going to the ranch Thursday.  Four white guys and one black. All Texas grads.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

...by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States. In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined. So, of course, the war was rooted in these two expanding and competing economies—but competing over what? What eventually tore asunder America's political culture was slavery's expansion into the Western territories.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/06/slavery-made-america/373288/

46 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Abolitionists argued slavery was a net negative to the economy and wealth in America.  Racists argued the opposite.  

I don't think the argument was on strictly economic terms.  For slave owners, it was more financial then economic, and for abolitionists, I think it was mostly moral.

Net negative or net positive, it doesn't really change the argument about 1619.

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think the argument was on strictly economic terms.  For slave owners, it was more financial then economic, and for abolitionists, I think it was mostly moral.

Net negative or net positive, it doesn't really change the argument about 1619.

This.  Beyond that, ethics should trump economics.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Too bad slavery was so unique to America.  

I'm guessing we're probably one of the few countries with a large segment of the population that believes that the wrong side won in their war over its practice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, TwiceHorn said:

According to LinkedIn, Henry was a sales engineer manager with the company.

"Sales engineer manager."  Could someone explain for me what that is?

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I have a Title VII case involving one right now.  Basically they have a technical background that allows them to go to a customer and customize what product they need (in my case it is network IT stuff).

We spent a decent amount of time in school discussing slavery and I didn’t sense any discomfort among the students. For most kids 150 years ago might as well be a thousand. It wouldn’t shock me if kids these days are more sensitive, though. Feelings made you a “gay-wad” back then. 

However, I did encounter one injustice that I still carry with me to this day. The stoner chick that sat next to me hardly made it to class and definitely didn’t study. The day our our project/book report on a figure from that time period was due, she simply put shoe polish all over her face and body and climbed under our desks pretending to be Harriet Tubman on the Underground Railroad. I busted my ass all night and she didn’t read a page, yet she got a better grade. What an asshole. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Fancy term for salespeople that builds or “engineers” solutions for clients based on the company’s products and making sure everything is supposed to work together blah blah blah. 

21 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That’s in dispute.  Especially when you net out the costs and destruction of the civil war.  I’ve seen historians clearly argue slavery was a net negative economically to the USA and the south.  

This argument is like claiming the Twin Towers were not valuable real estate if you net out 9/11.

In the first half of the 19th century slavery definitely was the economic driver in the south.  "Until it wasn't" is not a valid argument here.  

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ.  

Rinse, lather, repeat.  Sack and his ilk have no interest in honest discussion, it's just the same bullshit thrown up over and over, shot down over and over, doesn't matter.

It doesn't even matter if slavery was a "net negative on the US economy".  That hardly justifies it.  For Sack to angle in that direction tells us everything we need to know about him, which we've known all along -- he's an elitist, silver spoon racist Texas white boy and he is exactly what we should be trying to remove from influence.

Oh yeah, he has black friends.

He should share his views with his black friends in a public space.  Of course it may result in a stand your ground episode but who knows, it may catapult Sack into a political office in Texas.  

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I just can’t with you people…

You couldn't see this coming with All Lives Matter?  

Edited by Mdhorn

On 1/18/2022 at 10:20 PM, David Dennison said:

Here's an unfortunate but completely predictable result of American slavery.

But it's still fine to say racist things while waiving racist flags and enacting stand your ground laws to cover racist actions?  Guess discomfort is pretty one sided.  

On 1/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, David Dennison said:

That is something that no one can ever prove. It's conjecture. What we do know is how much wealth slavery created prior to the Civil War. 

You fail to see that slaves were just taking jobs from middle class white American plantation families, who finally rose up to fight for equal rights and change the broke ass way of life for southern Anglo minority owners.   Then Sherman swept through the South knocking down walls throughout plantations to open up rooms and allow for more light, which before, were all dark and oppressive.  This eventually led Lincoln to accidentally shoot himself in the head boozing it up at a play.   The second half of the 1800s were crazy times. History is going to be so much more awesome the next rewrite.   

I just noted the irony of the thread title.  
As hard as it may be to articulate what exactly is CRT, that someone would say it's a type of, or incorporated into, a "hiring policy," demonstrates that OP hasn't the foggiest clue what it is.
I'll give internet points to anyone that names the 5 posters that +repped this post by the OP. Here's a hint: many of them are still posting... under different names. d4f9a664463755cfbf45fc139cf38348.jpg

29 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I'll give internet points to anyone that names the 5 posters that +repped this post by the OP. Here's a hint: many of them are still posting... under different names. d4f9a664463755cfbf45fc139cf38348.jpg

hah you made me curious to look, some have even repped it twice on different socks

image.thumb.png.9b313f93ad77bfa132ce70315a0e361e.png

We will look back on this time in our history as The Great Purge. We are in the process of purging discussions of race, science, intellectualism, morals, ethics and democracy.

Walt Whitman said it best:

“Sail thy best ship of DemocracyOf value is the freight. ‘’‘Tis not the present only. The past is also stored in Thee…

…The nations sink or swim with Thee.”