Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

What would? A couple more?

Nothing will.  Nothing.  Because these people are freedom-loving patriots at heart.  Now, if they were brown people, doing the same thing because they don't like how muslims or hispanics are treated, they'd be worthy of having their doors kicked down by local PD pouring out of a surplus MRAP.  That's how America works in Trumpland.

Klein ISD teacher out of work after offensive comments recorded | khou.com

Race became the topic of discussion inside a Klein Collins High School theatre arts class last week and the teacher involved is now out of a job. 

A recording by a student shows the teacher using the "n-word" and making other offensive comments.

"I mean, if there’s a word that you’re not supposed to say, why are you saying it?” said a student in a smartphone recording from inside the class that was shared on social media.

“I don’t know," said the teacher. "Why do the guys in my class go, you know, say, 'man, ___ you crazy.' Why do they say that? And why is it cause I’m a white guy, I can’t say that? I can’t say the n-word.”

The white male teacher goes on to question why there isn’t a white history month along with comments about other ethnic groups.

But talking about black history and white supremacy has no place in the classroom!!!11!!!1!!!!!!1

(This is where I went to high school, it's so embarrassing). 

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 2

This is getting some national attention, but just so y'all are aware because it's going to be in front of BORs everywhere. Your average alumnus or casual observer has a hard time separating what a professor can and cannot say in a classroom, but where people really get bent out of shape is the idea that a professor can and is allowed by the Constitution to express his/her thoughts as a private citizen. It does appear that the most controversial bit *bolded in the article* was removed so that the changes are much more similar to post tenure review (the average post tenure review that has been in place for at least a decade I think?). I expect this to vary by state, and will be the wedge in the door towards sweeping changes in higher ed in the future.

APnews.png.4c64768184ff47e2fd25418adce35211.png

Here is the article:

Spoiler

ATLANTA (AP) — Tenured professors at Georgia’s public universities will face a new set of job reviews that regents say will help them improve but that some faculty members say will undercut the job protections and freedom of expression that tenure is supposed to guarantee.

Regents unanimously approved the policy Wednesday without discussion. It requires tenured faculty to undergo a review every five years. All but one of Georgia’s public universities already require such reviews: Georgia Gwinnett College doesn’t grant tenure. But 96% of professors pass the current evaluations with no requirement for improvement.

“We really needed to create a process that was much more effective at being able to build faculty careers across a lifetime,” Tristan Denley, executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, said in a Tuesday committee meeting. He described the current review process as “onerous, time-consuming, with really very little benefit.”

Opponents say the plan infringes on tenure, undermines faculty involvement in peer reviews and provides a shortcut for firing professors that could be abused. More than 1,000 faculty members across the system signed a petition against it.

“They have an intent and it is clear as it ever was: give us tenure in name only,” wrote Matthew Boedy, a University of North Georgia professor who is the president of the Georgia Conference of the American Association of University Professors.

If professors flunk part or all of the review, they will be required to undertake a performance improvement plan agreed to by a department chair or dean. If they refuse to cooperate or don’t make enough progress, they could be penalized or fired. Also, any professor who is evaluated unfavorably in any area in an annual review will get a remediation plan and then a “corrective” post-tenure review the next year. Opponents warn that could lead to dismissal within three years of any unfavorable review.

All 25 institutions are required to develop their own policies in consultation with faculty and include due process procedures. The chancellor must approve each school’s policy. The system office will also write guidelines on what has to go into an improvement plan if a professor flunks a review.

Denley said due process and faculty involvement “were not explicit” in an earlier draft. He said that was because he always assumed faculty would be involved in drafting campus-level decisions.

The plan also requires that “student success activities” such as mentoring and advising be factored into awarding tenure and evaluating academics. The university system has focused in recent years on ensuring fewer students drop out and more graduate on time.

Until 2007, regents decided on tenure for faculty at all universities and colleges. Since then, presidents have made those decisions. The new policy says regents will take back decisions from any university “not carrying out its faculty review process in a sufficiently rigorous manner.”

It’s unclear how much will really change or how regents will judge the success of the new policy. Denley and board Chair Sachin Shailendra refused requests for interviews.

The American Association of University Professors has long opposed post-tenure review and is threatening to censure the system. A censure would have little practical effect, but would be embarrassing and could deter academics from working at the universities, the association said.

“At reputable institutions of higher education, academic freedom is protected because tenured professors can be dismissed only for reasons related to professional fitness and only after a hearing before a faculty body at which the administration must make its case that the faculty member’s conduct or performance warrants dismissal,” AAUP President Irene Mulvey said in a statement.

The uproar has played out against the background of disputes over COVID-19 policies in the university system. Regents have ordered universities to teach classes in person and to not mandate masks, vaccines or testing on campus. Those mandates prompted faculty protests.

A proposed clause that would have allowed faculty members to be fired without cause was removed from the plan passed Wednesday. It had prompted concerns that administrators could purge faculty members for disobeying system policies, such as those discouraging mask mandates.

Denley said that was not the case.

“In no way is this an attempt to create some kind of mechanism to summarily dismiss faculty without cause,” he said.

Among those weighing in against the plan was 2018 Democratic gubernatorial nominee Stacey Abrams.

“Academic freedom guaranteed by tenure is more than a hiring gimmick,” Abrams wrote on Twitter Wednesday. “Georgia cannot compete for talent or produce innovation if we undermine our public universities.”

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Rage+1 1

At the end of the article in the tweet, one teacher lamented that "the district is going to lose some incredible teachers, myself potentially being one." I'd like to ask every one of the teachers to stay and fight. Make them drag this out in the open, in courts, wherever. Do it so it is recorded and documented--all the racism and propaganda and pressure to bow to ignorance. The more we back down, the more the far right will keep pushing and pushing. Do you want your schools to reflect the truth or the dogma of a past that never was?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

[Both sides intensifies]

"Okay, today we are going to continue our lesson on World War II.  I have some primary sources for you to read about the Holocaust here, first-hand accounts from survivors.  And just to be fair to both sides, here is the Republican Party platform, some Facebook posts, an interview with Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene and an entire thread on TexAgs about how the Holocaust didn't happen." 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"Okay, today we are going to continue our lesson on World War II.  I have some primary sources for you to read about the Holocaust here, first-hand accounts from survivors.  And just to be fair to both sides, here is the Republican Party platform, some Facebook posts, an interview with Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene and an entire thread on TexAgs about how the Holocaust didn't happen." 

The TexAgs thread NOW would acknowledge it happened but then question why it is considered bad. The TexAgs thread 10 years ago would have questioned it happening. Like a microcosm of Texas politics.

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I don’t see the administrator as the bad guy in this. This is the stupid shit they’re having to do because of our fucked up legislature.

This is the shit that gets @DonkeyCigars and @Johnny Sack really fired up - using ginned up fears of CRT to promote holocaust denial to avoid hurting any fee fees

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I don’t see the administrator as the bad guy in this. This is the stupid shit they’re having to do because of our fucked up legislature.

Yep, this is a product of that poorly thought out reactionary law they passed a few weeks ago that they are frantically trying to mitigate with more stupid shit.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, this is a product of that poorly thought out reactionary law they passed a few weeks ago that they are frantically trying to mitigate with more stupid shit.

When life hands you lemons, make Republicans defend this, make them defend the Holocaust and slavery. 

• Hook 'Em 2

"Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response. 

"Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up."

It's a dipshit administrator that either cannot read or is doing this to make a stupid gotcha (that is stupid because the law in now way requires it).  The holocaust is neither a current event nor a widely debated or currently controversial topic of public policy or social affairs. 

Here is what the law says:

(h-2)  In the instruction of the essential knowledge and
     skills for the social studies curriculum, in applicable courses of
     Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social
     studies, or similar subject areas:
                  (1)  no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any
     state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter
     school, or school administration to discuss current events or
     widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
     or social affairs;
                  (2)  teachers who choose to discuss current events or
     or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to
     explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives
     without giving deference to any one perspective;

So she is either solely dumb or both dumb and being a political asshole.  Morons like @Captainant lap this stupid shit up.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's a dipshit administrator that either cannot read or is doing this to make a stupid gotcha (that is stupid because the law in now way requires it).  The holocaust is neither a current event nor a widely debated or currently controversial topic of public policy or social affairs. 

or social affairs;

So she is either solely dumb or both dumb and being a political asshole

I can't wait to see your mental contortions when they teach civil rights and are required by law to teach that black people deserve fewer rights than white folks. Because #bothsides. 

And idk if you've noticed, but there's a considerable portion of the GQP electorate (and by connection, Texas population) that believe that the Holocaust didn't happen, along with a host of antisemitic conspiracy drivel. Must be convenient to plead ignorance when your abhorrent voting choices lead to the quiet part getting said out loud. 

Edited by Captainant

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I can't wait to see your mental contortions when they teach civil rights and are required by law to teach that black people deserve fewer rights than white folks. Because #bothsides. 

And idk if you've noticed, but there's a considerable portion of the GQP electorate (and by connection, Texas population) that believe that the Holocaust didn't happen, along with a host of antisemitic conspiracy drivel. Must be convenient to plead ignorance when your abhorrent voting choices lead to the quiet part getting said out loud. 

Keep knocking down strawmans.  You just elected the most racist President in the last few decades, and you love the dementia-riddled fool.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Keep knocking down strawmans.  You just elected the most racist President in the last few decades, and you love the dementia-riddled fool.

I really don't like biden, but compared to a pussy grabbing orange (johnny) sack of shit he's tremendous. 

edit: not really sure how you're coming to the conclusion of "most racist president" for biden either btw. Care to share the facebook post(s) that you're citing that from?

Edited by Captainant

Before they axed it, I was reading along in the Q thread on the ag forum and they were discussing (seriously) the Protocols of the Elders of Zion as if it were a real manuscript, so yeah, I don't think the constituency of certain school districts are really informed on what passes for an informed perspective of an opposing view, nor which historical events are controversial. The language above in the law that Johnny Sack quoted is somewhat vague and that is likely either intentional or because the drafters are not super bright nor long range thinkers or all of the aforementioned.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

or social affairs;

So she is either solely dumb or both dumb and being a political asshole.  Morons like @Captainant lap this stupid shit up.

Well according to said administrator, apparently the existence of the holocaust as a topic for debate has "come up."  "Believe me."

• Hook 'Em 1

we will see how long this lasts. I saw the interview on KPRC of the mom who started this movement to stop the book and author. Basically she said “the book doesn’t explicitly say oppressors  but white kids could possible feel that way.”

We all knew Texas would end up at this point.  We're gonna have to give equal time now to the "other side" of the fucking Holocaust.  

Remember, every single defendant at Nuremberg gave some version of the same 3 defenses:

1.  We were just following orders.

2.  We did not know the scale/scope of what was happening. 

3.  We were under duress in the 'Fog of War'

What none of them ever said as a defense was, "It Never Happened"

Maybe let's start with those transcripts and see where these pieces of human garbage wanna run next with it. 

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

• Hook 'Em 1

What you have to remember is that many district admins aren't very smart. Some are brilliant educators and leaders of the profession. Too many are middle-of-the-road teachers that managed to get their Masters.