Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

One thing we can say about the hysterical response to CRT, is that among those in opposition, there is a percentage who are, in fact, racist. As proof, I offer this gentleman’s experience.

A Texas school district asked a Black principal to remove a photo of him kissing his white wife. Then the community branded him a critical race theory 'boogeyman.

• Dr. James Whitfield recalled in a Facebook post that his school district once asked him to take down a photo showing him kissing his wife.
  • He told Insider that was just the start of a sustained harassment campaign from local residents.
  • At a tense public meeting in July, residents accused Whitfield of promoting "the conspiracy of systemic racism" and called for his firing.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.

On the day of his appointment as the principal of a Texas middle school, Dr. James Whitfield was forwarded an email from a resident of his school district that referenced a photo of him kissing his wife on the beach in Mexico, where the couple celebrated their 10-year anniversary. Whitfield is Black, and his wife is white.

According to Whitfield, in May 2019 the school district forwarded him the email, which read, "Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want as an example for our students?", and requested he remove the photo from his Facebook profile.

"I felt small, insignificant, and undervalued as a staff member," he told Insider in a phone interview. 

Whitfield recalled the ordeal in a July 31 Facebook post. The Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District said in a statement Monday that it made the request to provide Whitfield with a "smooth transition" to his new role and "had absolutely nothing to do with race." 

Whitfield ultimately set the photo to private. But he told Insider the request was just the start of what he believes is a sustained harassment campaign against him by residents of his school district who think he promotes the idea that white people are inherently racist. 

Since Whitfield was appointed principal of Colleyville Heritage High School in spring 2020, making him the first Black person to lead the school in its 25-year history, he said community members have repeatedly asked the school board to investigate and even fire him. Colleyville, a city in Tarrant County outside of Dallas and Fort Worth, is more than 90% white. 

Whitfield's opponents center their outrage around critical race theory, an idea that originally emerged from legal scholarship that argues racism continues to affect the legal system and other modern institutions in ways that perpetuate discrimination against and the oppression of people of color. In September 2020, then-President Donald Trump issued an executive order which labeled concepts like critical race theory "offensive and anti-American" and banned any diversity and inclusion training containing such "divisive concepts" from federal contracts.

Following Trump's ban, states including Texas enacted a rash of anti-critical race theory legislation that distorts the concept to limit how history, race, and current events can be taught in public schools. Outrage over teachers discussing police brutality, white privilege, and systemic racism in the context of current events exploded at school board meetings across the country, including in Whitfield's district.

"They think I'm the CRT boogeyman," Whitfield said of his opponents. "My position strikes fear into the hearts of certain people that would prefer things go back to the way they used to be." 

Locals called for Whitfield's firing in an explosive school board meeting

At a tense district board of trustees meeting on July 26, speakers railed against what they view as critical race theory permeating the curriculum at local schools. Whitfield said he was advised not to attend these meetings in person for his own protection. 

In a video recording of the meeting reviewed by Insider, one woman calls for the trustees to investigate any use of critical race theory because "the whole idea of systemic racism is a theory or a philosophy." Other speakers air concerns over the district teaching "social justice" and the "systemic racism conspiracy."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-texas-school-district-asked-a-black-principal-to-remove-a-photo-of-him-kissing-his-white-wife-then-the-community-branded-him-a-critical-race-theory-boogeyman/ar-AAN1Q8T?ocid=st

Setting aside the CRT agitator nonsense, photos of a husband and wife can be inappropriate (outrageous)  for reasons of costume, setting, composition, or intended meaning, but not for color of skin.

Being offended at a picture because it show a black husband and a white wife kissing is the reaction of a racist.

Maybe someone is certain they are not racist and also oppose CRT. But until they create distance between themselves and that percentage who are racist, they will find themselves (mistakenly) being lumped in with the lot.

Similar dynamic found in the story of the Texians, when seen in the context of slavery. A discussion the CRT opposition will not tolerate having in schools.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

One thing we can say about the hysterical response to CRT, is that among those in opposition, there is a percentage who are, in fact, racist. As proof, I offer this gentleman’s experience.

A Texas school district asked a Black principal to remove a photo of him kissing his white wife. Then the community branded him a critical race theory 'boogeyman.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-texas-school-district-asked-a-black-principal-to-remove-a-photo-of-him-kissing-his-white-wife-then-the-community-branded-him-a-critical-race-theory-boogeyman/ar-AAN1Q8T?ocid=st

Setting aside the CRT agitator nonsense, photos of a husband and wife can be inappropriate (outrageous)  for reasons of costume, setting, composition, or intended meaning, but not for color of skin.

Being offended at a picture because it show a black husband and a white wife kissing is the reaction of a racist.

Maybe someone is certain they are not racist and also oppose CRT. But until they create distance between themselves and that percentage who are racist, they will find themselves (mistakenly) being lumped in with the lot.

Similar dynamic found in the story of the Texians, when seen in the context of slavery. A discussion the CRT opposition will not tolerate having in schools.

Well, that's troubling.  On the one hand, they asked him to take down a PDA pic. that's ambiguous at best.  On the other hand, they promoted him to principal of what I believe to be the flagship HS of the district.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised by the local populace.  That's just west of the prime insurrectionplex.

The thing that characterizes the insurrectionplex, Denton and Collin counties, and big chunks of Tarrant, is that they have been until recently quite rural and insular, like the vast swaths of our state that continue to vote GQP, with all that entails.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing that characterizes the insurrectionplex, Denton and Collin counties, and big chunks of Tarrant, is that they have been until recently quite rural and insular, like the vast swaths of our state that continue to vote GQP, with all that entails.

I won’t quibble with your ‘insular’ umbrella. My teenage years were set in the Cross Timbers South of Denton,

Yet, your observation about this guy’s promotion supports the point that there are a certain percentage of people who are quite racist: the photo has no rational reason to offend.

I will be shocked if the principal is fired. (Then again, an Austin art teacher was fired due to her partner’s photographs, intended as artistic, being posted online). Because rational people don’t crumble to pressure and they push back against racism, (though outrage based on prurience is another matter.)

Right?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, that's troubling.  On the one hand, they asked him to take down a PDA pic. that's ambiguous at best.  On the other hand, they promoted him to principal of what I believe to be the flagship HS of the district.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised by the local populace.  That's just west of the prime insurrectionplex.

Upon reflection, I see more of your point. And from that perspective, that the district has hard and fast rules against photos of a married couple kissing,  linking the photo with claims of CRT boogeymen doesn’t suit.

Frankly, I just now realized how a kiss in a photo is a pda. I resist something about that notion,  though I do get how certain kissing practices in public provoke a reaction. I’ll ask my wife, she knows how to explain such things to me.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Puncted

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I won’t quibble with your ‘insular’ umbrella. My teenage years were set in the Cross Timbers South of Denton,

Yet, your observation about this guy’s promotion supports the point that there are a certain percentage of people who are quite racist: the photo has no rational reason to offend.

I will be shocked if the principal is fired. (Then again, an Austin art teacher was fired due to her partner’s photographs, intended as artistic, being posted online). Because rational people don’t crumble to pressure and they push back against racism, (though outrage based on prurience is another matter.)

Right?

Don't disagree with any of that.

I have a theory that as urban life encroaches on rural-ish counties, as in Plano and Allen to Collin, and Frisco to Denton, and, Grapevine-Colleyville, previously "sublimated" tendencies, like racism and other forms of "social conservatism" or fear-based reactionary-ism.

So these places become the "crucible" for this kind of chit.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, Willfully Horn said:

For those who feel the hysteria over CRT is fueled by actual racism, here is another bit of supporting evidence. While there might be a valid criticism of examining the world from a pre-selected perspective, I’ve yet to hear it. It’s easy to dmm

Did you mean to link or attach something to this post?

• Fuck You 1

On 8/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, Willfully Horn said:

For those who feel the hysteria over CRT is fueled by actual racism, here is another bit of supporting evidence. While there might be a valid criticism of examining the world from a pre-selected perspective, I’ve yet to hear it. It’s easy to dmm

Must have posted that by accident, as I tried to give my take on an event. Later, I did make the post I wanted. Thanks, @DonkeyCigars for the head’s up and my apologies. I’ll delete the errant one.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Mention

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Must have posted that by accident, as I tried to give my take on an event. Later, I did make the post I wanted. Thanks, @DonkeyCigars for the head’s up and my apologies. I’ll delete the errant one.

No worries, just catching up on the thread and thought I might have missed the point or it swooshed over my head (as points want to do) as you are generally a pretty solid guy.

• Fuck You 1

On 5/19/2021 at 4:37 PM, PHLaggie said:

CRT is an evolution of postmodernism and of cultural Marxism-- the modifier "cultural" to Marxism being needed since Marxism deals primarily with issues of money (haves vs have nots) whereas CRT (and certain thinkers in postmodernism) puts the Marxist trope onto race. 

There is adequately detailed information available on CRT by cogent thinkers online; it's not hard to understand that it is at its core a divisive ideology.

My only C at UT was a liberal arts class taught by a che Guevara nut-hugger. They're hiring more of these assholes.   

20210812_073545.jpg

20210812_073543.jpg

• Rage+1 1

This will tickle a lot of people here...

I went through an application/interview process at The New School. It's actually a really awesome school in NYC. Life circumstances changed those plans, but yeah...do with that tidbit what you will haha

https://www.newschool.edu/

edit: sorry mean to respond to the quan cosby c-student.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

I had a "crit" for torts.  A guy named Gary Peller. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Peller

Good natured guy, he exposed us to the ideas of critical legal studies without cramming them down our throats.

On our midterm (which counted nothing toward our grade), he actually posed a crit-inspired essay question.  I answered it in part by taking issue with the critical legal studies assumptions that underlay the question.  I got my highest midterm grade on that, 84.

For our final, though, he left all that off and it was straight up torts stuff.

I saw about zero academic dishonesty from the guy.  He was a decent prof, if a little ivory tower (most at UT were, whatever their political stripe).

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tchookem said:

Hide yo kids! Hide yo wives! CRT is in Pflugerville... PFLUGERVILLE! It also has multicolored hair and a nose ring. Getting close to 1M views.

all the rightwing nut huggers love this shitty twitter account

Did she ever say "critical race theory"?  I'm pretty sure she didn't.  How did this surface as a CRT screed by a Pflugerville teacher?
Her initial point was teaching politics in a social studies class. Newsflash, it's an essential part of teaching social studies.

Dipshits got a hold of it and went full dipshit. Naturally 90% of the bullshit they're spewing is "OMG. Look at that hair. Is this who we want teaching our kids?" Completely ignoring that everything she says is spot on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Teachers critically analyze fact patterns and give broader context to passages. Their job is to impart knowledge to humans. Let them teach. 
  • Teaching students to discern fact from fiction is in the liberty interest of all.
  • Right populist libertarianism has devolved into a simpering aggy idoit. 

This conspiracy theory is absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Her initial point was teaching politics in a social studies class. Newsflash, it's an essential part of teaching social studies.

I hope you don't think I disagree.  I just don't understand why she was cast as a CRT advocate in primary classrooms.  I'm unaware of the group that posted the video.

Has anybody had a chance to catch “Southlake”, the top rated podcast on Apple? 
I’m most frustrated by conservative attempts to hide history. Not sure if it would make a difference today, but I have to hope that there would be less opposition to the advancement of voter rights if we learned about this Democratic politician who led one of the earlier insurrections in the US - the Wilmington Insurrection of 1898. In his attempt to keep black people from voting, Alfred Waddell said they were hatching a plan to rape white women. Here’s how he planned to stop them. Addressing his supporters, he told him:

"You are Anglo-Saxons. You are armed and prepared and you will do your duty ... Go to the polls tomorrow, and if you find the negro out voting, tell him to leave the polls and if he refuses, kill him, shoot him down in his tracks. We shall win tomorrow if we have to do it with guns."

Why didn’t we learn about this guy?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I hope you don't think I disagree.  I just don't understand why she was cast as a CRT advocate in primary classrooms.  I'm unaware of the group that posted the video.
Not at all. I know where you stand on reality. I think someone else explained their thought process better. I just left it at calling them dipshits.

Dallas, go figure..

6 minutes ago, Smax said:
On 8/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Dallas, go figure..

What does this have to do with Dallas?

• 4 weeks later...

well, whatever that root cause is, there's definitely no such thing as structural racism

A study from the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, known as Freddie Mac, adds to a growing body of research that finds racism in the appraisal industry is undervaluing the homes of Black and Latino Americans compared to white-owned homes.

As for the idea that bias might only occur among a small number of appraisers, the study found when analyzing the appraisal reports of several thousand appraisers that the majority of them reported “statistically significant” racial gaps in their valuations. The study’s authors wrote that they hadn’t identified a root cause for these gaps, but that they are testing alternative appraisal methods for more equitable outcomes.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/banking-law/freddie-mac-finds-pervasive-bias-in-home-appraisal-industry

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, Willfully Horn said:

I will be shocked if the principal is fired.

They may not have outright fired Whitfield but they voted unanimously to not renew his contract, which ends at the end of this school year. The school board has magically come up with some other shit he allegedly did to justify their action.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

They may not have outright fired Whitfield but they voted unanimously to not renew his contract, which ends at the end of this school year. The school board has magically come up with some other shit he allegedly did to justify their action.

Dammit. My astral-mycology predictive chops suck.

• Haha 1

This is what they’re trying to outlaw in Wisconsin:

In testimony before an Assembly committee last month, Wichgers said the bill would ban the teaching of concepts including “Social Emotional Learning,” “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,” culturally responsive teaching, anti-racism, conscious and unconscious bias, culturally responsive practices, diversity training, equity, microaggressions, multiculturalism, patriarchy, restorative justice, social justice, systemic racism, white privilege, white supremacy and “woke,” among others.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-assembly-passes-ban-on-teaching-critical-race-theory/article_1e53044a-8047-58c7-9560-368ae54fb588.html

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just another example of people who "hate CRT!" really have no idea what it is.  This book has nothing to do with CRT

good lord, these fucking people are so insecure that they feel compelled to have an event surrounding the author of a newberry medal winning graphic novel cancelled? 

here's the plot of the book:

12-year-old Jordan Banks is a black boy who lives in Washington Heights. Jordan loves art and wishes to go to art school. Instead, his mother makes him go to Riverdale Academy Day (RAD) School, which she calls "one of the best schools in the state". However, RAD is not a very diverse school, having few students of color.

During his first day at Riverdale, Jordan is overwhelmed. He is helped by Liam Landers, a fellow student assigned to be Jordan's guide, and whose family has attended RAD for 3 generations. The two become friends. Jordan meets a variety of other students at the school, including Andy Peterson, an obnoxious jock; Alexandra, who always wears a sock puppet on her hand; DeAndre (one of the few other African American students at RAD), Winston, and Eric, three sophomores of often pick on lower grade students; and Drew Ellis and Maury, who are two of the few other African American students at RAD.

Jordan has some difficulties adjusting to RAD. These include discomfort over where to sit at lunch and not knowing how to act when a friend from the neighborhood sees him with Liam. Further challenges occur when his advisor discusses students on financial aid and calls Drew by the name of DeAndre. Jordan discovers that this kind of mislabeling happens to other black students and faculty at the school, even a black teacher who has been at the school for fourteen years.

Things start to slowly improve for Jordan. Forced to play a team sport for the first time, Jordan chooses soccer and struggles with the rules and the temperature, but scores an accidental goal in his first game. He also is able to have honest conversations with Drew about what it's like to be one of the few African Americans at RAD. His friendship with Liam also deepens including over video games. After a discussion with his grandfather, Jordan successfully mixes his neighborhood and school friends through video games. However, after Jordan corrects his neighborhood friends' grammar they give him the nickname "Private School".

There continue to be ups and downs for Jordan at school academically and socially. At first, Jordan dislikes his art teacher, though later he comes to appreciate what he's learning. While waiting to be picked up one day, Jordan learns that Alexandra wears a sock puppet because she doesn't want anyone to see the burns on her hand; through a bit of trickery Jordan gets the information about Alexandra's burn out which causes her to become more accepted by her peers. After ongoing tension between Jordan, Drew, and Andy, Andy dares Jordan and Drew to join the baseball team, which they do. When Drew and Andy get into an argument in the cafeteria, Andy slips on an apple and falls, but Drew is initially accused of pushing him. However, Jordan and several other classmates stick-up for Drew, stopping him from being disciplined.

As the school year draws to a close, Jordan's illustration is picked for the cover of the yearbook. Drew, Liam, and Jordan have become good friends and on the last day of school Jordan even dresses like Liam as a joke. Drew remains unsure if he'll return to RAD, almost having been suspended for the argument with Andy despite making the honor roll each semester. The book ends with Jordan with his neighborhood friends as they start their summer vacation.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, sidis said:

good lord, these fucking people are so insecure that they feel compelled to have an event surrounding the author of a newberry medal winning graphic novel cancelled? 

here's the plot of the book:

Looks like cultural marxism to me, led by communist corporations and socialism.

Just another example of people who "hate CRT!" really have no idea what it is.  This book has nothing to do with CRT

Morons. My students loved that book. Let's take away an opportunity to meet a published author of a popular book because of reasons... well one reason.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Katy ISD. Well, there's a surprise. That's the district where the superintendent got called out by a parent at a school board meeting that later got national attention. The parent attended Katy ISD and was a classmate of the superintendent, Lance HIndt, who had bullied him to the point of sticking his head in a urinal. Hindt had the backing of the school board if I recall, but the backlash was enough that he stepped down. Don't know if I got the deets all correct, but Hindt didn't come across as being particularly pleasant if one didn't fit the mold of what a Katy ISD parent/student was supposed to be.

CRT is an evolution of postmodernism and of cultural Marxism-- the modifier "cultural" to Marxism being needed since Marxism deals primarily with issues of money (haves vs have nots) whereas CRT (and certain thinkers in postmodernism) puts the Marxist trope onto race. 
There is adequately detailed information available on CRT by cogent thinkers online; it's not hard to understand that it is at its core a divisive ideology.

I can’t even tel ll if this is a joke or if this is seriously supposed to produce the idea in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Kinda related to this book but mostly fake CRT:

I have a good friend who is on the board of a very high end private school. They have a K-6 inner city school that is fully funded due to the death of someone or another, and as part of the charter (like back in the 90's), it has to be 80% African American.

The problem is that the 7-12 is not in the inner city, it's in the suburbs, and it's very expensive. So mostly what happens is these AA's have to figure out how to pay for 7-12 or find the best public school, or a benefactor or loans or something, because there aren't enough scholarships, etc.

Because of this, the 7-12 portion of this school is very white. Feedback over the years from the minority of AA's that go there is that they don't feel like they fit in, have people that look like them, feel represented, seen, etc. You know, the same stuff we've all heard as the complaints. The big problem is that there aren't a lot of AA teachers either-- it's hard to find in that area qualified black people who actually want to teach private school, etc.

So to combat this, they put out a position called Director of Belonging or something like that. Funded the position and went to the board for approvals.

This all happened well before all the CRT stuff of the last year or so.

Well the HR lady changed it to Director of Diversity, Equity and Conclusion and made all the language sound super woke and hokey and everyone freaked out and communities and alum and everyone freak out like this is in RESPONSE to the sjw woke stuff of late when really it was an earnest attempt to do something good for the school and students well BEFORE the issue of CRT in schools was even making news, and now it's mired in controversy and it is probably about to be scraped and the school is being accused of bowing down to CRT.

All because people don't understand what CRT is and they think DEI = CRT.

Crazy stuff but this is the world in 2021.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Kinda related to this book but mostly fake CRT:

I have a good friend who is on the board of a very high end private school. They have a K-6 inner city school that is fully funded due to the death of someone or another, and as part of the charter (like back in the 90's), it has to be 80% African American.

The problem is that the 7-12 is not in the inner city, it's in the suburbs, and it's very expensive. So mostly what happens is these AA's have to figure out how to pay for 7-12 or find the best public school, or a benefactor or loans or something, because there aren't enough scholarships, etc.

Because of this, the 7-12 portion of this school is very white. Feedback over the years from the minority of AA's that go there is that they don't feel like they fit in, have people that look like them, feel represented, seen, etc. You know, the same stuff we've all heard as the complaints. The big problem is that there aren't a lot of AA teachers either-- it's hard to find in that area qualified black people who actually want to teach private school, etc.

So to combat this, they put out a position called Director of Belonging or something like that. Funded the position and went to the board for approvals.

This all happened well before all the CRT stuff of the last year or so.

Well the HR lady changed it to Director of Diversity, Equity and Conclusion and made all the language sound super woke and hokey and everyone freaked out and communities and alum and everyone freak out like this is in RESPONSE to the sjw woke stuff of late when really it was an earnest attempt to do something good for the school and students well BEFORE the issue of CRT in schools was even making news, and now it's mired in controversy and it is probably about to be scraped and the school is being accused of bowing down to CRT.

All because people don't understand what CRT is and they think DEI = CRT.

Crazy stuff but this is the world in 2021.

Did you ever write a single paper in college?

If so, did you manage to avoid a failing grade?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Well the HR lady changed it to Director of Diversity, Equity and Conclusion and made all the language sound super woke... 

Absolutely going to email my University Vice President this and recommend an institutional title change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And [mention=1087]Bullneck[/mention] has negged me 12 times in the past 10 minutes, I think he's got an agenda or something jajajaja

In my experience, people who type jajajajajaja instead of hahahaha usually are from somewhere other than the US.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pancho said:

Ironically, in their attempts to whitewash history, all these parents are doing is giving a new generation a living example of this picture.

The Story Behind the Famous Little Rock Nine 'Scream Image' - HISTORY

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2