Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Would be worth it. I wish I had made an effort to take a more specific class for that while I earned a history degree at Texas. I took Guridy’s class on Afro-Latin America and it is one of the ones I think about a lot.

I think it’s easy as a white person, especially if relative privilege, to not really internalize what even just slavery was. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that even just last year, watching the more recent remake of Roots, it really dawned on me when a) they take Kunta Kinte’s daughter away and b) that’s just the end of Kunta’s story. They’re separated, she’s gone, that’s the last she knows about him and there’s nobody else to continue telling his story.

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw this article on Fox through my google feed. Seattle 'anti-racist' training teaches city employees Whites are 'oppressors' Quite hysterical, "oppressors."

But then I drilled down to see how accurate it was and found a link to this document.  https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/RSJI/RSJI Truths_10.13.20.pdf

It is sort of the manifesto of Seattle's Race and Social Justice Initiative, a city department that offered the voluntary training at issue.  I thought it fair and nuanced and liked this especially.

It’s not possible to live in the United States and not experience the impacts of colonialism, structural racism, and other intersecting forms of oppression (unearned advantage or disadvantage) on our lives. None of us are responsible for the past; but all of us are responsible for the present and to some extent, the future

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

I took Jazz Appreciation. That should count. 

In other news

Vague mention of threats justifying federal law enforcement action. Ok. 

Lol well at least you're going straight to the source for your disinformation and propoganda. You do know that chris rufo is the guy who's inciting all these adults to storm school board meetings they have no interest in or connection to, right? You're literally just shilling for the continued divisiveness and misrepresentation of meaningful details. 

Seriously, how is your life so small and meaningless that this is what you choose to do? I guess you hit your quota of kids dying from COVID, huh?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

@Satoshi come defend your shit you fucking coward.

Threatening educators with violence, doxxing them, and stalking them isn't "disagreements with CRT". It's criminal fucking behavior and not protected speech.

Nevermind that the majority of bad actors at these schoolboard meetings AREN'T EVEN PARENTS IN THAT FUCKING DISTRICT! So I'm not sure why they care so much about an issue that doesn't affect them - aside from being faithful culture warriors.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

@Satoshi

Nevermind that the majority of bad actors at these schoolboard meetings AREN'T EVEN PARENTS IN THAT FUCKING DISTRICT! So I'm not sure why they care so much about an issue that doesn't affect them - aside from being faithful culture warriors.

The majority? Really? Do you have a source for that assertion? Maybe they live in the districts and still property taxes to support education. 

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

@Satoshi come defend your shit you fucking coward.

Threatening educators with violence, doxxing them, and stalking them isn't "disagreements with CRT". It's criminal fucking behavior and not protected speech.

They’re following them into restrooms?

In any case, none of this has reached the level of needing direct involvement of the AG and nationwide focus from the FBI. It’s purely political. 

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

The majority? Really? Do you have a source for that assertion? Maybe they live in the districts and still property taxes to support education. 

I don't have a source for every single disruptor in the country - but from the reporting I have read, the worst of the offenders have been anti-mask/vax nutjobs (you know, your people) who were NOT associated with the school district

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

They’re following them into restrooms?

In any case, none of this has reached the level of needing direct involvement of the AG and nationwide focus from the FBI. It’s purely political. 

They aren't following into restrooms, they're following the teachers and staff home and assaulting them on campus. Over fucking mask mandates.

You and @DonkeyCigars propaganda man chris rufo is the sole person linking this to CRT and using it as another arrow in your culture war quiver, and now it's getting repeated across the OANN/Fox/8kun discussion space.

This concerted stochastic terrorism effort by you and people like you is exactly why the FBI is getting involved - there are the same patterns and messaging being blasted out across the country, directly threatening educators and medical professionals. It's not political - unless you think protecting the education system is political.

Which come to think of it, considering that you and donk and johnnysack all hate public schools and send your kids to a rich kids only place, actually helps me to better appreciate why you think it's """purely political"""

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I don't have a source for every single disruptor in the country - but from the reporting I have read, the worst of the offenders have been anti-mask/vax nutjobs (you know, your people) who were NOT associated with the school district

They aren't following into restrooms, they're following the teachers and staff home and assaulting them on campus. Over fucking mask mandates.

You and @DonkeyCigars propaganda man chris rufo is the sole person linking this to CRT and using it as another arrow in your culture war quiver, and now it's getting repeated across the OANN/Fox/8kun discussion space.

This concerted stochastic terrorism effort by you and people like you is exactly why the FBI is getting involved - there are the same patterns and messaging being blasted out across the country, directly threatening educators and medical professionals. It's not political - unless you think protecting the education system is political.

Which come to think of it, considering that you and donk and johnnysack all hate public schools and send your kids to a rich kids only place, actually helps me to better appreciate why you think it's """purely political"""

Public Education is 100% political.

• Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

and it's people like you ensuring it stays that way, politicizing every possible thing that melts your snowflake.

Facemasks mean that your GOD EMPEROR trump lied to you about the dangers of COVID?

NO FACEMASKS IN SCHOOL RAHRBAGGLEGABBLE!!!

What's wha? The antifacemask thing didn't work and we just look like assholes? .

Better loop in this other issue of whitewashing systemic and architected inequality, otherwise my white kids in private school may not have as high of a self esteem as I'd like!!

And that's how we end up here with a fucking hack like chris rufo conflating FBI investigations of death threats against teachers because of antimaskers/proCOVID people with something completely different.

The combination of grievance politics with a target demographic too fucking selfish to realize they're being manipulated, is a fucking POWERFUL force in america today. A trump card, if you will.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yes.  In the same way that basic functions like roads, drinking water, functioning sewer systems, noise ordinances, etc. are "political."  Because they are public functions, for the public good.

So, "political" in the literal sense, but not fucking "political" in the insane sense of being hyper-politicized that we've seen in recent years.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  In the same way that basic functions like roads, drinking water, functioning sewer systems, noise ordinances, etc. are "political."  Because they are public functions, for the public good.

So, "political" in the literal sense, but not fucking "political" in the insane sense of being hyper-politicized that we've seen in recent years.

Also political in the sense that you and me and captain and every other homeowner and tax paying American is funding the government’s/public schooling. Like roads etc., as you stated.

To act like it’s public education is not deeply and inherently political is absurd to me and frankly I can’t understand the mindset that would not see it as front and center political.

You are outsourcing the education (and meaningful time and opportunities for deeper and richer development of soft skills and character/morals) to the state. If you do so you want to have input on what that agenda is going to look like. Especially since you are paying for the privilege.

The other option (besides homeschooling) which financially sucks is to pay for the public schools via tax and not realize any direct value from it (there is good indirect value), and then pay extra to align your kids with a curriculum and/or agenda that makes sense for you and yours.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Also political in the sense that you and me and captain and every other homeowner and tax paying American is funding the government’s/public schooling. Like roads etc., as you stated.

To act like it’s public education is not deeply and inherently political is absurd to me and frankly I can’t understand the mindset that would not see it as front and center political.

You are outsourcing the education (and meaningful time and opportunities for deeper and richer development of soft skills and character/morals) to the state. If you do so you want to have input on what that agenda is going to look like. Especially since you are paying for the privilege.

The other option (besides homeschooling) which financially sucks is to pay for the public schools via tax and not realize any direct value from it (there is good indirect value), and then pay extra to align your kids with a curriculum and/or agenda that makes sense for you and yours.

Negged again.  We have a ways to go, but I want your ass gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also political in the sense that you and me and captain and every other homeowner and tax paying American funding the government’s/public schooling.

I'm not sure what sort of public school you went to, but my 5A highschool was not overtly political and did not push any partisan agenda like whitewashing history or taking up policies that are contrary to public health.

The focus was in teaching us how to think critically, and giving us tools to use to think for ourselves. Granted, I was in AP courses and not regulars, but it was still a 100% public school.

I didn't learn deep character and morals at school in classes - I learned those in doing extracurriculars like sports and marching band and UIL academic teams. Doing the extra shit that you don't have to do. 

Maybe you shouldn't be such an absent parent that you expect the school to do the heavy lifting on raising your kid?

• Like 2

Just now, HenryJames said:

#humblebrag

AP courses was the only way to game the system to make the top 10 percent to get into UT lol. In my district, you got a 1.29x multiplier for that AP courses towards your GPA. So you could get an 80 for a class and your GPA would be calculated as if you got a 103 in the course. It was real dumb lol, but anyone could register for AP courses - you just had to be able to hang academically otherwise you'd get bounced to the regulars course.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm not sure what sort of public school you went to, but my 5A highschool was not overtly political and did not push any partisan agenda like whitewashing history or taking up policies that are contrary to public health.

The focus was in teaching us how to think critically, and giving us tools to use to think for ourselves. Granted, I was in AP courses and not regulars, but it was still a 100% public school.

I didn't learn deep character and morals at school in classes - I learned those in doing extracurriculars like sports and marching band and UIL academic teams. Doing the extra shit that you don't have to do. 

Maybe you shouldn't be such an absent parent that you expect the school to do the heavy lifting on raising your kid?

No, see, it's what the schools DON'T teach that makes them political indoctrination centers.  Is there a class on how to MAGA?  Does every class include a segment on how America is the bestest country ever, and how slaves were happy and sang work songs and were fed and were better off than if they'd been paid workers?  Does it include at least 3 books by Bill O'Reilly in the curriculum?  Does it require daily prayer to Evangelical Republican Jesus, who loves guns and freedom?  NO?  Then the school is a cesspool of cultural marxism, and must be destroyed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On this, we agree 100%.

Is it not such an obvious assumption to you people that those like you (and your family and communities) who ended up at UT and then years later on a UT message board, probably aren't the problem inherent to public schools? 

Anyways, the point isn't even your post I quoted or my response to it-- those are strawmen to the point, which is that public education is political. It is because it's publicly funded and a communal resource. So there will naturally need to be some politiking to figure out what is the best or most optimal path to educate a diverse populace and which will enable and prepare them to be of value to society (go to college, get a job, etc.) when finished matriculating.

For some communities those ideas are different than in others, and that is largely influenced by the make-up of the community (e.g. Southlake or Katy has different population personas and demographics than DISD or HISD, for example) which will provide for different goals and definitions of success. It's political in that you will (and should) always have to be responsible and accountable to all the stakeholders. In public education that means answering to those who foot the bill-- tax-paying residents and/or owners who may or may not want to send their kids based upon the circumstances.

Am I saying anything that is not just basic, table-stakes and Public Education 101? Some of you people are acting like I'm calling a baby ugly or coming out of left field with a super hot take here and it's pretty shocking to me. Especially from someone normally as sane and reasonable as @jimmyjazz. Jimmy, what am I saying here that is below board or offensive-- your feedback would actually be respected and considered based on what I consider to be your honest and fair track record.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Am I saying anything that is not just basic, table-stakes and Public Education 101? Some of you people are acting like I'm calling a baby ugly or coming out of left field with a super hot take here and it's pretty shocking to me. Especially from someone normally as sane and reasonable as @jimmyjazz. Jimmy, what am I saying here that is below board or offensive-- your feedback would actually be respected and considered based on what I consider to be your honest and fair track record.

My parents were educators.  Dad taught at the university level (private -- Washington University) and public (University of Missouri).  Mom taught a bit at Missouri but mostly junior high and high school, all public.

You haven't the foggiest fucking clue what you are talking about.  Public education is not all politics.  Negged again for being a disingenous twatwaffle.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My parents were educators.  Dad taught at the university level (private -- Washington University) and public (University of Missouri).  Mom taught a bit at Missouri but mostly junior high and high school, all public.

You haven't the foggiest fucking clue what you are talking about.  Public education is not all politics.  Negged again for being a disingenous twatwaffle.

I have a grandparent who taught and published at the university level as well (public)-- it's a wonderful calling for some and a very valuable role in society. I'm not trying to denigrate the profession. I'm not even talking about public education being political at the teacher/administrator level. I'm talking about at the strategy setting (e.g. Board, Regent, Trustee, Legislative/Government) level. Keep negging for taking offense where offense was not intended, but you are being the disingenuous one here.

• Fuck You 1

I took on-level history my junior year of high school in East Texas, and when the guy was teaching about WWII he took a serious tone with the class and said,

"I want everyone in class to understand one thing: Russians are quitters. They have never seen a single thing through in their entire existence. They are quitters to their core and you can't trust them".

So I'm pretty sure that lesson wasn't specifically approved curriculum. He also spent a good deal of our history class preaching how important it was that we invade Afghanistan (this was 2003). Anyway, he was just some dipshit yokel who had stumbled into teaching. My AP teachers were for the most part really good and weren't pushing any political agenda at all. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Haha 1

I'm going back to what set all this off:

Parents harassing students and their parents who are  wearing masks as they walk to and from school.

Parents who are shouting and yelling at trustees during the meetings instead of following the rules of order.

Parents who are pressuring schools w/ respect to library materials.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Negged for being an inconsistent, lying troll.

There is nothing inconsistent in what I'm saying.

You are blinded by your familial love and bias here, unless you are just misconstruing what I mean when I say 100%. Which now that I think about it, has to be what happened. Let me explain:

I'm using the parlance of the day which means that I'm absolute and definite (i.e. 100%) that public education is a political entity.

You might be hearing me say that Public Education from the Legislative and Board down to the school janitors, substitute teachers and contract laborers and everything in-between (100% [of] Public Education) is political.

Sorry for not more clearly communicating that and for any confusion that has caused (which actually explains a lot because the response, as I noted, was outsized and not at all appropriate for what I was suggesting)-- as you've noted my papers and essays in school weren't the best in class!

Edited by DonkeyCigars
for clarity
  • Fuck You 2

In what way does this educate the populace in any thing other than do what the mafia says or that little building you like is going to fall down? That is almost 8 million dollars held like aid to Ukraine while children grew older each minute of each day until the school board acted. (note: Screenshot not embed.) Guess future students are going to go through some things.

CRT.png.aca4e4d2a0e8de0e4a6e36805b1df8aa.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I took Jazz Appreciation. That should count. 

In other news

Vague mention of threats justifying federal law enforcement action. Ok. 

Oh for fuck's sake.

It is explicitly about threats to school personnel.

What is "vague" and in fact entirely absent, is mention of CRT or diversity.  There are very likely a number of threats concerning mask and COVID policies being made by MAGAATs and Qtards as well.

A somewhat semi-reasonable Reason connects it to COVID bullshit primarily, and CRT only because of Chris the cunt Rufo.  https://reason.com/2021/10/06/ag-merrick-garland-fbi-critical-race-theory-parents-schools-domestic-terrorists/

Chris Rufo is an alarmist cunt.  If you needed proof of a guy bending facts to his agenda, that tweet is fucking IT.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Sorry for not more clearly communicating that and for any confusion that has caused (which actually explains a lot because the response, as I noted, was outsized and not at all appropriate for what I was suggesting)-- as you've noted my papers and essays in school weren't the best in class!

Translated: Sorry for getting caught gaslighting and shifting goalposts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I'm not really troubled by what Donkey said.  Education is permeated by policy questions, and thus politics.

What has heretofore been largely missing from public education is the grotesque partisan politics.  Until the last 10-20 years, school board candidates didn't overtly identify as one party or the other.

There have always been skirmishes about textbooks and evolution vs. creation, for example.  That goes back to the Scopes trial, at least.  But even that wasn't partisan political in the way it is today, because neither party was willing to claim fundagelicals and now white supremacists/overt racists. Both Bryan and Darrow were involved Democrats.

"Conservatives" are all about divisive social issues masquerading as "family values."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not really troubled by what Donkey said.  Education is permeated by policy questions, and thus politics.

What has heretofore been largely missing from public education is the grotesque partisan politics.  Until the last 10-20 years, school board candidates didn't overtly identify as one party or the other.

There have always been skirmishes about textbooks and evolution vs. creation, for example.  That goes back to the Scopes trial, at least.  But even that wasn't partisan political in the way it is today.  

"Conservatives" are all about divisive social issues masquerading as "family values."

Was that so hard? Why is it so difficult for people to be honest? Is it a case of shooting the messenger versus the message?

And to the rest of your post, it dovetails very nicely with my contention from last week that got everyone dishonestly enraged ( @Brisketexan I'm looking at you here) about how everything is nakedly political in 2021 and it's obviously the case and also obviously suboptimal, but that's the world we live in.

Lastly, @DDD Dad clearly is still lost. Someone use the loudspeaker and page his mom to come pick him up in the mental lost and found.

• Fuck You 4

Was that so hard? Why is it so difficult for people to be honest? Is it a case of shooting the messenger versus the message?
And to the rest of your post, it dovetails very nicely with my contention from last week that got everyone dishonestly enraged ( [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] I'm looking at you here) about how everything is nakedly political in 2021 and it's obviously the case and also obviously suboptimal, but that's the world we live in.
Lastly, [mention=121]DDD Dad[/mention] clearly is still lost. Someone use the loudspeaker and page his mom to come pick him up in the mental lost and found.

DC: it’s terrible that everything, even elementary schools, are totally politicized!

Also DC: I am a slavish fan of the politician party/movement that fanatically politicizes EVERYTHING!

Conclusion: fuck DC.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

DC: it’s terrible that everything, even elementary schools, are totally politicized!

Also DC: I am a slavish fan of the politician party/movement that fanatically politicizes EVERYTHING!

Conclusion: fuck DC.

2020-2021 has broken you. You are broken. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

AP courses was the only way to game the system to make the top 10 percent to get into UT lol. In my district, you got a 1.29x multiplier for that AP courses towards your GPA. So you could get an 80 for a class and your GPA would be calculated as if you got a 103 in the course. It was real dumb lol, but anyone could register for AP courses - you just had to be able to hang academically otherwise you'd get bounced to the regulars course.

wtf I didn’t get any of that shit, just took AP and them’s the breaks for my class percentile. Are you closer to 30 or 40?

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

wtf I didn’t get any of that shit, just took AP and them’s the breaks for my class percentile. Are you closer to 30 or 40?

We got an extra grade point, of a possible 8, for a B+ or better in AP courses.  And, for "major works" classes that led to them.  I took every AP course offered except English, which they wouldn't let me into because I bailed on "major works" algebra II because of a shitty teacher. Also, took regular chemistry because I was soured on major works courses, from a new teacher who was so rigorous he soon had the AP course. So I took geometry and trig with juniors and seniors, as a soph and junior.

I fucked myself hardcore on class standing.  Which probably led me to UT.  So fuck all that other noise.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Education is political in the sense that it’s a public good as well as the sense that a good education engages that culture, which is inherently political. It shouldn’t be partisan and it’s severely damaged when partisan actors make it into another battleground.

Education is increasingly become a partisan battleground, largely thanks to the actions of dishonest self-proclaimed conservatives and those they dupe. It’s bad for everyone, including the angry conservative marks who have become experts on CRT or whatever the latest boogie man becomes based on an education provided by their pastor, Facebook, and right-wing media. It hurts them and their children (to the extent that they have children).

That North Carolina American-hagiography is just the latest example of this madness.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

There’s a difference between political and partisan.

Literally everything we do as Americans is impacted by political issues in some way.

Only one party makes EVERYTHING partisan and tries to conflate that into politics.

And only window licking morons fall for it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

There’s a difference between political and partisan.

Literally everything we do as Americans is impacted by political issues in some way.

Only one party makes EVERYTHING partisan and tries to conflate that into politics.

And only window licking morons fall for it.

DC can’t hear you over the sound of his constant window-licking. This is our point.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

DC can’t hear you over the sound of his constant window-licking. This is our point.

If I am a window licker than I am no better than you. That means that, like you, I lack even the most basic sense of self-awareness and am truly just an oblivious, sad, old person who is really and deeply in love with a narrative and constant talk track that makes me feel special and unique and less out of control to the world's going ons.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2

If I am a window licker, than then I am no better than you. That means that, Like you, I lack even the most basic sense of self-awareness and am truly just an oblivious, sad, old person dotard who is really and deeply in love with a narrative and constant talk track that makes me feel special, and unique, and less out of control to touch with the world's going ons goings-on.

Copy Editor's notes:

1. If you really want this to run, consider the edits made above.

2. You should really reconsider running this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1