Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

On 10/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, NWBuck said:

SIAP

I almost wish there was a weeping rep icon. She's an excellent example of why white men shouldn't be running things. At one level or another, we just don't get it. In many cases, we don't even recognize that there's something to get.

Also, it would be nice if either of these women would state what CRT is. The interviewer should ask the woman what CRT is. It's my understanding from an article in either New Yorker or Atlantic that it's founded in the discovery that many moves government makes intending to ease racial inequality can actually be counter productive on the local level.

It involves history in ways such as recognizing that the white government of the US made positive moves regarding race driven by forces other than wanting to improve the lives of blacks. The example was that the US passed civil rights laws in the 60s partially because the Soviet Union was pounding us on the inequality of our system compared to communism. And they were right.

The shameful refusal/denial of the world as it is for fear of having to recognize an obvious truth is stunning and demoralizing. And the good ol GQP has made it a partisan issue where it need not be one.

All of these wires are wrapping together to form the cable for our ever steeper zip line ride into the destruction of the USA. 

Alternative means has maybe completed it's job. So many people here helped.

At least we'll go down bashing the negroes for being racists.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:04 AM, horn4life said:

Why is it that Republicans and Fox report the slimmest of possibilities as "news?"  PHLaggie at least tells us right up front that his news is sheer speculation when the term "if this is true...."

I look back at the 2010 elections when the GOP ran on "death panels" (which never ever were a possibility nor ever existed.")

That Obama who went to church every week was really a muslim, and Trump was a Christian, because he never went to church... based on what? Skin color?

Now the GOP has again ginned up the misinformation machine with their latest self created lie, Critical Race Theory. No let's be clear here CRT does exist, at the college level in as something that could be discussed.  BUT NOT AS PART OF ANY FUCKING CURRICULUM.  What this is about is again ginning up the racism that so permeates the Republican party.  As I often say, not all Republicans are racist, but the vast majority of Racist are Republican.

I understand why the GOP prefers to focus on lies, as if they focus on facts, it's a losing battle for a minority party.  And yes the GOP is a minority party.  But they can win narrow electoral victories in Presidential races while losing the Popular vote by millions.  In fact unless you are 60+ years old you have never, ever participated in an election where a Republican Presidential candidate has won a first term election with the majority of the voters approval.  The last Republican President to win a first term with the popular vote..........   Ronald fucking Reagan.

That is why the GOP want fewer folks participating in Democracy, and they want small groups (of nearly exclusively old white men) in State governments to choose Electors rather then the voters choosing them.

Sad the GOP is a party based on lies, and CRT is just another in a long line of misinformation, gobbled up by Republicans.  Because... it's race based...

Well, to be fair, death panels have always existed in private insurance.  So there's that.

• 3 weeks later...

That's astonishing that that shithead would say that out loud in public.  I don't care what point he thought he was trying to make.

I mean, on the current timeline, it's not astonishing at all.

On the human timeline, it's astonishing as fuck.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, Captainant said:

Oh look, a shitheel TX school board member implying that more black teachers cause higher rates of dropouts.

43 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Michael Harriot goes in on this...

Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1481519227102134273.html 

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's astonishing that that shithead would say that out loud in public.  I don't care what point he thought he was trying to make.

I mean, on the current timeline, it's not astonishing at all.

On the human timeline, it's astonishing as fuck.

Cy-Fair, anti-CRT, white and racist -- hmm, aggy? (I swear I haven't looked it up. He could be a Texas Ex for all I know. I don't even see his name anywhere.)

Because he “dared to disagree,” and “he could have said it more eloquently?”

Umm, how exactly does one eloquently say “so, having black teachers leads to higher dropout rates?” Do you have to use code words and wink or something?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Suggesting that a higher black teacher percentage equates to a higher dropout rate is clearly racist, but more so, it’s also incredibly stupid. It ignores basics principles of statistics and logic which I would presume are necessary at an IT company. He should have been fired for incompetence. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wapost made a list of more than 1700 slave holding congress critters:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/interactive/2022/congress-slaveowners-names-list/

They’ve been adding to the list as readers have submitted additional evidence that the Post didn’t have, in one case a battlefield letter from the civil war.

Fun fact: the first woman to serve as Senator, Rebecca Latimer Felton, appointed in 1922, had been a slaver.

Edited by elfenix
not sure why autocorrect capitalized 'woman'

Umm, how exactly does one eloquently say “so, having black teachers leads to higher dropout rates?” Do you have to use code words and wink or something?

Just another innocent victim of cancel culture

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Suggesting that a higher black teacher percentage equates to a higher dropout rate is clearly racist, but more so, it’s also incredibly stupid. It ignores basics principles of statistics and logic which I would presume are necessary at an IT company. He should have been fired for incompetence. 

Yeah didn't realize he worked for Splunk, which is one of the big boys in Enterprise monitoring and analytics. Must be a sales schlub or something

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Yeah didn't realize he worked for Splunk, which is one of the big boys in Enterprise monitoring and analytics. Must be a sales schlub or something

If that dude is the outward face of the company, they are beyond fucked.  

School board members are pretty much allowed to do anything and not get blamed.  Low funding, shitty athletics, bullshit Jesus dinosaur curriculum, letting teachers fuck students, high dropout rates, Food poisoning In the cafeteria, asbestos contracts in new builds for some reason, and iPads that teach kids how to shoot better.   They’re basically immune to criticism.  Basically the only thing we ask of them is not to make decisions based on blanket racist ideology.  And this guy couldn’t handle that.  Fuck him and hope he gets fired and AIDS. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If that dude is the outward face of the company, they are beyond fucked.  

School board members are pretty much allowed to do anything and not get blamed.  Low funding, shitty athletics, bullshit Jesus dinosaur curriculum, letting teachers fuck students, high dropout rates, Food poisoning In the cafeteria, asbestos contracts in new builds for some reason, and iPads that teach kids how to shoot better.   They’re basically immune to criticism.  Basically the only thing we ask of them is not to make decisions based on blanket racist ideology.  And this guy couldn’t handle that.  Fuck him and hope he gets fired and AIDS. 

Just looked him up on linkedin, he was a fucking sales manager with 4 years in a manager role. That is some spectacularly bad judgement on his part. Good on Splunk for dropping his racist ass, and shame on CyFair for keeping this turd in their punch bowl

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Just looked him up on linkedin, he was a fucking sales manager with 4 years in a manager role. That is some spectacularly bad judgement on his part. Good on Splunk for dropping his racist ass, and shame on CyFair for keeping this turd in their punch bowl

Kinda curious what the his sales team was like and how much hiring he did. Or if there are people there thinking… “finally this dude is gone or nope, not surprised one bit”

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This dude definitely looks over both shoulders before he tells a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

In your statement you assert that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But is this a logical assertion? Isn't this like condemning a robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the evil act of robbery? Isn't this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical inquiries precipitated the act by the misguided populace in which they made him drink hemlock? Isn't this like condemning Jesus because his unique God consciousness and never ceasing devotion to God's will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion? We must come to see that, as the federal courts have consistently affirmed, it is wrong to urge an individual to cease his efforts to gain his basic constitutional rights because the quest may precipitate violence. Society must protect the robbed and punish the robber. I had also hoped that the white moderate would reject the myth concerning time in relation to the struggle for freedom. I have just received a letter from a white brother in Texas. He writes: "All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but it is possible that you are in too great a religious hurry. It has taken Christianity almost two thousand years to accomplish what it has. The teachings of Christ take time to come to earth." Such an attitude stems from a tragic misconception of time, from the strangely irrational notion that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually, time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity."

-Reverend Dr Martin Luther King Jr, Letter from a Birmingham Jail

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Truth be told, I’m not a big fan of renaming everything under the Sun, but I very much want to see the Russell Senate Office Building renamed. Doing so would.not be a calumny but a correction of egregious error in judgement:

In 1963, Russell pledged to oppose civil rights legislation with "every means and resource at my command." Warning of the "mongrelization" of the races in 1964, he then led the longest filibuster in Senate history in opposition to the Civil Rights Act, which opened up public accommodations to African-Americans, prohibited race discrimination in employment and barred the allocation of federal funds to entities that practiced race discrimination.

Russell was not a racial firebrand in the mold of Mississippi Sens. Theodore Bilbo and James Eastland, who frequently used racial epithets, spoke openly of black inferiority and slyly encouraged violence in opposition to school desegregation and black suffrage. Yet neither was Russell simply a casual racist as was common to that era. He was a prominent leader of what Russell himself bragged was "the last ditch" defense of white supremacy. A couple of days after the Southern filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act failed, Russell bragged that "no group of men could have worked harder in a nobler cause." Nor did Russell ever recant his role in the fight to preserve white supremacy before his death in 1971; the following year, a Senate office building was named for him.

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-klarman-take-russell-off-building-20180831-story.html

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:29 AM, C-Man said:

Cy-Fair, anti-CRT, white and racist -- hmm, aggy? (I swear I haven't looked it up. He could be a Texas Ex for all I know. I don't even see his name anywhere.)

Well, looks like he fucked around and found out, eh? I looked him up on LinkedIn and he's not aggy -- he's Abilene Christian.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The 1619 Project is rubbish.

Oh cmon now, you're just mad you didn't get a chance to sick any dogs on black folks or hit em with a fire hose. Or are you still in the "that didn't happen and my kids can't know it happened either" camp? That's why you sculpt your kids with their lilywhite private school right?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh cmon now, you're just mad you didn't get a chance to sick any dogs on black folks or hit em with a fire hose. Or are you still in the "that didn't happen and my kids can't know it happened either" camp? That's why you sculpt your kids with their lilywhite private school right?

Yeah, slavery wasn't that bad.  Lots of slaves preferred it.

• Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone gets riled up over Sack. He's obviously an extremely miserable asshole who can only obtain even fleeting moments of happiness by trolling online.

Personally, I find that delightful.

Ambassador

Von 

Miller

Folks the 1619 Project does have some serious flaws that we can dissect on another thread. 

What cracks me about Sack's indictment of it though is he decides to disregard an otherwise valid endeavor, the one marked by the arrival of the first trans-atlantic slaves at Fort Monroe, VA...long before there was a United States.  And he uses a decidedly English term to undercut it, "Rubbish."  That's perfect irony, considering who was trading those slaves.  

it's like a german calling a holocaust museum, "Buncha Beschweren in there..."  

46 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

You don’t even know what it is, much less could you articulate a complete sentence to defend this feeble, garbled drivel.

Yes I do.  But why don't you explain what it is for me.  Start with getting past the strawman that those who object to the 1619 project is not an objection to teaching about the evils of slavery.  It is much more. 

It suggests that slavery was somehow unique to the US.  Ignores that the US and Britain (with their navies) ended the global slave trade in the early 1800s.  Does not recognize how slavery was everywhere up until the last few centuries and wants to pretend it was somehow unique to America. Argues that America was founded on slavery/ slavery was the primary cause of the revolutionary war.  That everything that makes America exceptional was due to slavery.  That slavery resulted in most of the early American wealth.  It is complete horseshit.

Plenty of historians, many of whom are liberal, have shit on this joke.

Edited by Johnny Sack

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes I do.  But why don't you explain what it is for me.  Start with getting past the strawman that those who object to the 1619 project is not an objection to teaching about the evils of slavery.  It is much more. 

It suggests that slavery was somehow unique to the US.  Ignores that the US and Britain (with their navies) ended the global slave trade in the early 1800s.  Does not recognize how slavery was everywhere up until the last few centuries and wants to pretend it was somehow unique to America. Argues that America was founded on slavery/ slavery was the primary cause of the revolutionary war.  That everything that makes America exceptional was due to slavery.  That slavery resulted in most of the early American wealth.  It is complete horseshit.

Where did you read that?

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The ultimate "both sides".   The fact is, this country was founded and our laws and constitution written by people who were morally and/or mentally flawed enough to see other humans as property, subhuman or undesirable.  Because they were different.  Weren't on the same "team" so to speak.  That's not an admirable quality, and to attach "must adhere to the founding fathers" or "strict constitutionalists only" to it is kinda fucked up.  Oh yeah, I'm gonna base all my legal judgements and precedent on people who thought blacks were subhuman.  

Admitting you made a mistake is the first step.  But white people in this country refuse to do it.  Both sides.  And I'm sad to say not much has changed, based on what's been demonstrated the last 5 or 6 years.   None of these people will admit anyone ever did anything wrong, cause everyone was doing it!  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 6

26 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Where did you read that?

The basic idea is laudable.  Some of the pieces of it have come under legitimate criticism for historical inaccuracy and some of the "rhetorical excesses" for which actual, real CRT is criticized.

It's probably no worse than a lot of the "Yay America! Yay Capitalism!" curricula out there.

• Hook 'Em 5

Link to an article by the Atlantic that explains the brouhaha.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/604093/

Consensus seems to be somewhere in the middle. But, it said stuff that needed be said.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Argues that America was founded on slavery/ slavery was the primary cause of the revolutionary war

That the Constitution didn’t mention slavery but made slavery the iron clad law within states is a fact that highlights your choice of the word “primary.”  

Overstatement and lack of nuance isn’t automatic rubbish, it is a sign of our times and can accurately describe your characterization of the academic pushback to the 1619 Project.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It is indisputable that slavery was a primary driver of the American economy and wealth creation, particularly in the south.

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It is indisputable that slavery was a primary driver of the American economy and wealth creation, particularly in the south.

That’s in dispute.  Especially when you net out the costs and destruction of the civil war.  I’ve seen historians clearly argue slavery was a net negative economically to the USA and the south.  

• Fuck You 2