Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

11 hours ago, fuggled said:

Are you also going to apologize for the misrepresentation of the message?  Or, if I'm being generous, that you just misunderstood the passage?

Of course not. I'm looking forward to the day that someone asks him about the box trucks that his church is paying to drive around the River Oaks district. 

local/department-of-education-in-oregon-links-standardized-testing-to-white-supremacy-school-student-racism-racist-policy-policies-ode-work

PORTLAND, Ore. (TND) — Standardized testing is rooted in "white supremacy" and has been "weaponized" against students, according to some on the Oregon Department of Education’s (ODE) state board.

ODE hosted a virtual "work group" meeting on Monday called "Work Group on Equitable and Racially Responsive Balanced Assessment" led by ODE Director of Assessment Dan Farley.

Farley begins the conversation by discussing what he calls the "truth" of standardized testing being rooted in white supremacy, something he feels needs to be accepted by Oregon's education system.

We started the conversation by introducing the concept that – not the concept but the evidence that the history of standardized testing was framed and came from White supremacist or eugenicist sources," Farley says. "The history of standardized testing is founded in White supremacy, a history that has caused harm to students historically and currently underserved by our educational system.

While Farley admits it's likely impossible to completely remove standardized testing, he says communities "whom state assessment results have been weaponized against" can actively participate in educational policy development and it is possible for educational assessment practices to become "active anti-racist levers."

We need standardization in order for test results to be comparable, but I do think it’s a question that’s worthy of interrogation," Farley says. "It’s not a question that I, as a White male, should come out and answer, whether I have an opinion on it or not.

Farley has previously spoken on the removal of perceived "racist policies" in Oregon's educational system. In September, Farley cited a book titled "How to be an AntiRacist" by Ibram X. Kendi, who Fox News calls a "prominent critical race theory advocate."

[Kendi] reminds us that ‘anti-racist actions must remove racist policies,’" Farley says during the September meeting "So the policies must first be identified, either because they contain racist content or they contribute to racist outcomes. And while most of our state assessment requirements in Oregon are federally based and federal statute, the state board and the assessment team are critical in that discussion, given the influence maintained over policies and practices in Oregon schools.

During the September meeting, Farley states his goal of disrupting racist policies in the educational system of Oregon.

We’re working to identify racist policies and practices that we can influence so we can disrupt them," Farley declares. "We are going to everything we can to disrupt them.

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

GR Horn and Johnny have been busy:

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

GR Horn and Johnny have been busy:

Loudoun County tried to cover up a rape allegation. It probably has something to do with that, even though I don't condone violent threats.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/loudoun-county-schools-covered-up-rape-prosecuted-a-concerned-father-to-protect-its-transgender-agenda

Edited by workswithseed
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

local/department-of-education-in-oregon-links-standardized-testing-to-white-supremacy-school-student-racism-racist-policy-policies-ode-work

That's a little much I think.  It is true that standardized tests are biased toward whites/economically advantaged.  I'm not sure that the tests should change because of that.  Reduced reliance or understanding that minorities may be disadvantaged in taking them seems to be adequate compensation.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dude.  I am going to challenge you to do something.  And that is, quit citing the usual right-wing sources for your material.

lulz

I was about to reply to your last post that you were responding to links from the Washington Examiner and Daily Caller.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dude.  I am going to challenge you to do something.  And that is, quit citing the usual right-wing sources for your material.

You may find it there, but if you can, find another source for the information like AP or Reuters, or even fucking CNN or MSNBC and see how the information is reported and see whether the right wing spin is accurate or proper.

Here, for example, is a rational conservative libertarian site that explains that the incident in question had nothing to do with transgenders.  https://reason.com/2021/11/01/conservatives-wrongly-portrayed-the-loudoun-county-sexual-assault-as-a-transgender-bathroom-issue/  In fact, the victim and assaulter had a prior relationship and had fucked in the bathrooms at school before.  It wasn't some random "tranny" going into the girls room to tear off a piece.

Also, the father was arrested at a school board meeting for being a jackass.  Perhaps understandably, somewhat, but he was subsequently convicted of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, so he wasn't "silenced" by the school board as many right wing sites would have you believe.

Now, it does appear that the school district initially tried to treat this sexual assault as an internal discipline matter.  That's not good, but it isn't the first time that's happened in a school.  And, it's not a cover-up.  Schools and the juvenile court system operate differently than the adult systems, with confidentiality of the indentity of even the perpetrator as a priority.

This all known,  hell no one asked why the father was so upset until Daily Wire. Fuck no I'm not going to use CNN and MSNBC as unbiased sources. All of this doesn't even refute why I posted it in the first place.

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

This all known,  hell no one asked why the father was so upset until Daily Wire. Fuck no I'm not going to use CNN and MSNBC as unbiased sources. All of this doesn't even refute why I posted it in the first place.

I'm not saying they're unbiased.

But you consistently cite rightwing bullshit sites for your information.

You're being brainwashed.

And that last bit about the Daily Wire is not true.  That was a central topic of the meeting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not saying they're unbiased.

But you consistently cite rightwing bullshit sites for your information.

You're being brainwashed.

And that last bit about the Daily Wire is not true.  That was a central topic of the meeting.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/loudoun-county-schools-tried-to-conceal-sexual-assault-against-daughter-in-bathroom-father-says

On June 22, Scott Smith was arrested at a Loudoun County, Virginia, school board meeting, a meeting that was ultimately deemed an “unlawful assembly” after many attendees vocally opposed a policy on transgender students.

What people did not know is that weeks prior on May 28, Smith says, a boy allegedly wearing a skirt entered a girls’ bathroom at nearby Stone Bridge High School, where he sexually assaulted Smith’s ninth-grade daughter. 

Unless DW lied about people not knowing about the rape allegation.

27 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Hint: it did.  The DW article was published on October 11. 

This article was published in August:

Smith was sentenced to 10 days in jail, all suspended, contingent on a year of good behavior. Biberaj also pushed for a fine and a requirement for anger management training; Lancaster argued for a moderate fine and no jail time, pointing to Smith’s largely clean record, his long residency as a small business owner in Leesburg, and his anger about an alleged assault of an immediate family member inside a bathroom by a person identifying as gender fluid

https://loudounnow.com/2021/08/17/smith-found-guilty-in-school-board-scuffle/

I mean, there was literally criminal proceedings way before that. The Daily Wire's statement is only true if by people you specifically mean the group of conservatives that read the Daily Wire as opposed to the individuals actually in the Loudon community. 

You also don't seem to understand the privacy concerns that become more paramount when a minor is accused of a crime. The school can't just publish names and neither can responsible need outlets. Frankly, this is for the benefit of both the alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Loudoun County tried to cover up a rape allegation. It probably has something to do with that, even though I don't condone violent threats.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/loudoun-county-schools-covered-up-rape-prosecuted-a-concerned-father-to-protect-its-transgender-agenda
Personally, when I send my death threats to people's children, I make a point to be very specific in my grievances. If I'm angry about a rape cover-up, that's what I'm opening with. Not this commie whore talk. These people.

Oh, I'm also going to with clipped magazine letters. It's not as personal, but it does I really mean business.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

Personally, when I send my death threats to people's children, I make a point to be very specific in my grievances. If I'm angry about a rape cover-up, that's what I'm opening with. Not this commie whore talk. These people.

Oh, I'm also going to with clipped magazine letters. It's not as personal, but it does I really mean business.

You do you, man. 

28 minutes ago, Mole said:

Spend one month only using AP, Reuters, BBC, and the PBS News Hour for your news. Then go back to whatever sources you used before and see how absurd they look. CNN is a few rungs below the Craig Kilborn-era Daily Show; Fox aspires to be at the top of NowThis’ bookmarks. The daily-whatevers, Oanns, etc. look like the Onion writers turned to meth.

News should be boring because most of it is. If it isn’t boring or is constantly making you angry, it isn’t news.

Qfmft

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Hint: it did.  The DW article was published on October 11. 

This article was published in August:

https://loudounnow.com/2021/08/17/smith-found-guilty-in-school-board-scuffle/

I mean, there was literally criminal proceedings way before that. The Daily Wire's statement is only true if by people you specifically mean the group of conservatives that read the Daily Wire as opposed to the individuals actually in the Loudon community. 

You also don't seem to understand the privacy concerns that become more paramount when a minor is accused of a crime. The school can't just publish names and neither can responsible need outlets. Frankly, this is for the benefit of both the alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator. 

And, apparently the part about internal disciplinary matter was wrong, too.  The incident was reported by the school the day it happened according to local news outlet. https://wjla.com/news/local/multiple-sexual-assaults-dominate-public-comment-at-loudoun-school-board-meeting

The school policy, however, is not to discipline until the criminal investigation is complete.

And, as noted repeatedly, the school cannot disclose details of student disciplinary, or criminal, matters for a number of legitimate policy reasons.

The conservative spin on this is about 90% pure dee bullshit.

And, as per usual, if you google (more accurately duck duck go) the incident, you have to wade through 100 or more bullshit rightwing sites repeating the exact same unsourced horseshit to find something factual.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You may find it there, but if you can, find another source for the information like AP or Reuters, or even fucking CNN or MSNBC and see how the information is reported and see whether the right wing spin is accurate or proper.

Here, for example, is a rational conservative libertarian site that explains that the incident in question had nothing to do with transgenders.  https://reason.com/2021/11/01/conservatives-wrongly-portrayed-the-loudoun-county-sexual-assault-as-a-transgender-bathroom-issue/  In fact, the victim and assaulter had a prior relationship and had fucked in the bathrooms at school before.  It wasn't some random "tranny" going into the girls room to tear off a piece.

Also, the father was arrested at a school board meeting for being a jackass.  Perhaps understandably, somewhat, but he was subsequently convicted of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, so he wasn't "silenced" by the school board as many right wing sites would have you believe.

Now, it does appear that the school district initially tried to treat this sexual assault as an internal discipline matter.  That's not good, but it isn't the first time that's happened in a school.  And, it's not a cover-up.  Schools and the juvenile court system operate differently than the adult systems, with confidentiality of the indentity of even the perpetrator as a priority.

He's an idiot, quit trying to make him better. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

I wonder if the goeber is aware of 

PHL 342M. Marx and Marxist Theory.

Same as Core Texts and Ideas 335M, European Studies 346 (Topic 30), and History 332R. Introduction to the writings of Karl Marx as well as to those of his intellectual successors in Europe and around the globe in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Three lecture hours a week for one semester. Only one of the following may be counted: Core Texts and Ideas 335 (Topic: Marx and Western Marxism), 335M, European Studies 346 (Topic: Marx and Western Marxism), 346 (Topic 30), History 332R, 362G (Topic: Marx and Western Marxism), Philosophy 334K (Topic: Marx and Western Marxism), 342M. Prerequisite: Upper-division standing.

The same day I read Dan Patrick's lunatic ravings about Marxism taking over our college campuses...I get an email from University of Austin encouraging me to apply for this summer's "Forbidden Courses."  Because of course they are.

Simulation is having fun with us again.

4 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by @Johnny Sack's thoughts in this matter. I mean he's on record as saying "I honestly have never seen a black person working", "I couldn’t vote for someone who uses a black accent", and "I got a black male sentenced to federal life without parole". 

Some words may have been omitted in the previous quotes but given his practice in the matter, I'm sure he won't mind.

Obsession noted.

They're probably pissed off that the whole of tenure, hundreds of millions in public funding, recruiting nightmares, and potentially hours and hours of meetings/interviews/angry calls each month are all on the line for a concept that seeps into maybe 2% of the overall course offerings at a large state school.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They're probably pissed off that the whole of tenure, hundreds of millions in public funding, recruiting nightmares, and potentially hours and hours of meetings/interviews/angry calls each month are all on the line for a concept that seeps into maybe 2% of the overall course offerings at a large state school.

Is that 2023 recruiting nightmares? I think Arch Manning solves that.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to Recruiting Board up the Cloak Room.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Is that 2023 recruiting nightmares? I think Arch Manning solves that.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to Recruiting Board up the Cloak Room.

Man, you talking about faculty recruiting or football recruiting?

"Neither sir, this is an Arby's." 

On 2/16/2022 at 11:27 PM, F250 said:

What are his ties to UT?

He doesn’t have any and barely has ties to the state of Texas. He has a BA from Maryland. His real name is Dannie Goeb for fucks sake. He is a former sports radio broadcaster, turned failed sports bar owner, and came back to radio broadcast albeit went political.  Fuck him.

Legislature only accounts for 13% of UT's funding.  CRT courses, even ones that just touch on it anecdotally, account for less than 2% of UT's course offerings.  It's beyond a non-issue to say "We fund public universities so Marxist/CRT doctrines cannot be spread virulently across campus!"  As idiotic as a notion it is, Dan Patrick couldn't come up with it if you gave him six months and a bowl of LSD.  

This is Alex Cranberg, Wallace Hall, and Jeff Sandefer coming back against UT for another Round versus UT (Perry's goons having lost all their previous battles).  I promise you the same shitbags are behind this that were behind all the other crap from 2012-2016.  Only difference is Abbott is gonna be quiet this time.  He overhauled the Board of Regents and eased tensions with the Tower and advocated for better funding (the last three legislative sessions for higher ed having been okay to really good).  But he's gonna hang back and let Dan Patrick wage this bullshit, non-existent culture war on behalf of Cranberg, et. al.  Because he can't appear soft on CRT right now with Huffines chasing after him like an angry gremlin.  No session right now, no real vocal leadership on the left (I doubt Beto touches CRT this cycle, no reason to).  And Hartzell and Milliken have their sights set on much bigger shit right now than to get in the mud with these clowns.  

I posted on this on Tuesday of last week, saying after that Faculty COuncil vote, they'd use it as a way to declare Marxist-CRT shit was permeating through every academic offering on campuses statewide.  I knew they'd do it, I just didn't think they'd do it so quickly and get Patrick to parrot them so effectively.  

So it shows up on google searches::: ALEX CRANBERG, JEFF SANDEFER, AND WALLACE HALL ARE PULLING THE STRINGS ON DAN PATRICK WITH HIS SUDDEN CRT IN HIGHER ED BULLSHIT.  Absolute 100% fact.  FUCK ALL OF YOU!  You won't win this time either. And your wives are cunts.

Edited by Lobo

and to think that's why i was happy Abbott won, to stop the aggy onslaught and attacks on UT during Perry's reign. turns out Abbott's cut from the same cloth, arguably much worse. gotdammit. 

those of you cheering these efforts on want UT to be more like aggy. just sit with that and accept it, and ponder what that says about you.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

He doesn’t have any and barely has ties to the state of Texas. He has a BA from Maryland. His real name is Dannie Goeb for fucks sake. He is a former sports radio broadcaster, turned failed sports bar owner, and came back to radio broadcast albeit went political.  Fuck him.

I remember going to Dan and Nicks before or after Astros games in the ‘80s with my dad.  The <10 year old me remembers it being a cool place where they had the Houston athlete shoe print walk of fame and I could stand in Ralph’s size 30s or whatever.  Fuck Dan Patrick for ruining those memories.  

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

and to think that's why i was happy Abbott won, to stop the aggy onslaught and attacks on UT during Perry's reign. turns out Abbott's cut from the same cloth, arguably much worse. gotdammit. 

those of you cheering these efforts on want UT to be more like aggy. just sit with that and accept it, and ponder what that says about you.

UT and Tech have right wing think tanks. When will aggy get one with more seating capacity?

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I remember going to Dan and Nicks before or after Astros games in the ‘80s with my dad.  The <10 year old me remembers it being a cool place where they had the Houston athlete shoe print walk of fame and I could stand in Ralph’s size 30s or whatever.  Fuck Dan Patrick for ruining those memories.  

afaik danny still owns the building.  housed the bw3 in rice village and now is a velvet taco. 

after college we were always asking ryan if he could convince his dad to get pluckers in there instead.  bw3 sucks.

Edited by elfenix

UT actually has two right-leaning "think tanks."  The Salem Center (housed at McCombs) and the soon-to-be Liberty Institute, which will be a stand-alone C&I across campus disciplines.  Only a handful of faculty/staff have an issue with either one.  They understand it will bring diverse voices and funding to the campus.  Believe it or not, most academics here have little issue with initiatives like University of Austin or TPPF.  But what Hall/Cranberg/Sandefer (via their proxy moron puppet-Dan Patrick) wish to do is beyond the pale.  Sadly, a huge chunk of Longhorns will sit back and "take it" because it'll "own the libs"

And make no mistake, none of it has jack fucking shit to do with CRT