Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

there are 2 constitutional carry threads, 1 that is magically sans politics and the other where people are talkign politics in general. I participated in both from a very apolitical angle and from a very political angle. It's possible to have the same topic span both boards. 

Just to clarify, this is apolitical commentary in the DT thread?

On 5/22/2021 at 8:11 AM, immamac said:

Those people are lazy and stupid. Fuck them. You don't just take a weapon designed to take life from others just because you want to and the burden of paying some money and getting/ensuring you know how to use said weapon in a basic fashion is so low it's comical that you are defending it. 

It's not only my opinion, it's the opinion of millions of Texans, more Texans than think that unlicensed conceal carry is a great idea. You are part of the minority here and everywhere in Texas where this was thought to be a problem. 

So how does a handgun help you in an auto accident or a house fire? I'm really curious to know what kind of super powers having a handgun gives you in those situations. Is it so you can shoot at the flames? Is it so you can shoot the people escaping from the fire? Please let me know.

Muggings, rapists, car jackings are all things that result in death of the assailant with a gun. I'm not defending any of these crimes, but if that is happening sans weapon, you think that is judge dredd style you get to execute this person? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to protect yourself, but have you ever been maced? Makes those things pretty fucking hard. The car jacking one also doesn't really make sense in my argument since I said I understand the justification of keeping a gun while traveling, car is extension of home.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just think your argument is absurd and weak. The anecdotal evidence you provided was likewise pretty bogus and more about "feelings" than actual proof that this has a meaningful impact on the safety of anyone.

I think the law is pointless and I don't think it makes anyone safer or less safe. It's just official that in Texas anyone can legally have a gun, unless prohibited by private places, which will probably be more and more the case. 

I’m not sure I follow what is political and what is not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

To @mdmost, your life consists of three things. Surly, growing your hair and beard to very unstable levels, and indiscriminately yelling into podcast mics oblivious to voice volume. 

But that’s mdmost; I know you’re busy and he’s a real piece of shit. 

Yeah, I don't listen to the podcasts, Rex. 

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And as I've said multiple times, remove rep from the CR and ban anyone who goes on neg sprees outside of CR. You want people to talk politics only in CR, make rep bombing impossible. People don't discuss anything, they drive by and neg rep things they disagree with. 

The only people who have gotten repbombed in CR recently were people who came in either trolling or peddling easily verifiable misinformation.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

but it bothers the shit out of a lot of people who just want to come and talk about something without political involvement. 

That's where you're wrong and where this site has always been wrong, people aren't bother by political posts they are bothered by posts that differ from their political worldview. Its why the FitLump thread survives, the hate for her is way greater than any political alignment. You wanna keep politics out of DT and other boards you need to split CR into right and left. Because right now the board has naturally already split right into DT and left into CR.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The only people who have gotten repbombed in CR recently were people who came in either trolling or peddling easily verifiable misinformation.  

Ah come on. There's plenty of whining about one person repbombing someone from the other side. Or following someone outside of CR to neg their posts. On the now moved DT Covid thread, people are whining the Cheeseweasel is neg repping them and not backing up his arguments. Just remove rep from the political board and you might be shocked that actual discussion might take place because you can't puss out and leave an emoj instead of an argument. Or you get less "negged" responses to something people don't like. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

Ah come on. There's plenty of whining about this person repbombing someone from the other side. On the now moved DT Covid thread, people are whining the Cheeseweasel is neg repping them and not backing up his arguments. Just remove rep from the political board and you might be shocked that actual discussion might take place because you can't puss out and leave an emoj instead of an argument. Or you get less "negged" responses to something people don't like. 

If people are actually afraid of posting because someone gives them a negative response then maybe this site isn't for them dude.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ah come on. There's plenty of whining about one person repbombing someone from the other side. Or following someone outside of CR to neg their posts. On the now moved DT Covid thread, people are whining the Cheeseweasel is neg repping them and not backing up his arguments. Just remove rep from the political board and you might be shocked that actual discussion might take place because you can't puss out and leave an emoj instead of an argument. Or you get less "negged" responses to something people don't like. 

We don’t need to remove rep. People need to stop being pussies about magical internet points.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And you're going to get a shitload of people trolling CR with stuff straight out of Fox News and OAN.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We don’t need to remove rep. People need to stop being pussies about magical internet points.

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If people are actually afraid of posting because someone gives them a negative response then maybe this site isn't for them dude.

tumblr_nk1hakraMW1tk496vo9_250.gif

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

tumblr_nk1hakraMW1tk496vo9_250.gif

Which way is that? 
I don’t care if someone refuses to participate in a discussion and only wants to neg and leave. That’s fine with me. Back up your opinion or don’t. It effects me zero. The people who seem to care the most about rep are the people who post untrue nonsense and get rightfully negged for it.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I want nothing to do with CR, I think ive made like 10 comments there in 3 years. 

while both of these are fair points, you also have the counterpoint, that if anyone with less than 500 rep points goes into CR and gives a viewpoint that has merit  but is wrong because "its the other sides view" they can be crowdsourced in 2 fucking hours if a certain group has their way.

just turn off rep in the CR and this place will have far, far fewer fucking issues with magical internet point bullying.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

that if anyone with less than 500 rep points goes into CR and gives a viewpoint that has merit  but is wrong because "its the other sides view" they can be crowdsourced in 2 fucking hours if a certain group has their way.

Yeah except that has never happened ever, that's just the DT phonies messaging.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I want nothing to do with CR, I think ive made like 10 comments there in 3 years. 

while both of these are fair points, you also have the counterpoint, that if anyone with less than 500 rep points goes into CR and gives a viewpoint that has merit  but is wrong because "its the other sides view" they can be crowdsourced in 2 fucking hours if a certain group has their way.

just turn off rep in the CR and this place will have far, far fewer fucking issues with magical internet point bullying.

Gimme the list of everyone that has happened to that was making actual valid points. I’ll wait

• Hook 'Em 2

To be fair, being drunk 20 hours per day is much more difficult than being drunk 24 hours per day.  For 20 hours, you actually have to time out your drinking to bring yourself into that 4-hour sobriety window.  Threading that needle can't be easy.  Especially for a drunk person...

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd779uxt6omtg57vgwng3dirfi5wsfaabj9213v29ic&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Exactly, if it means nothing, get rid of it.

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Just like football

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Exactly, if it means nothing, get rid of it.

If this guy wasn’t rep bombed then it isn’t actually happening.

Also interesting that the only people who want rep to go away are the same people who want their safe space in DT.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh, I get you're busy. You just find weird moments to explode on people and other times you seem to not give much of a care. Perhaps in addition to moving threads, you move those people who constantly violate the rules to where they can only post in CR? If someone is a perpetual violator of bringing any politics into these threads, move them to the CR and keep them there. The problem you'll find is each side thinks the other side is the only one bringing politics into DT and needs to go to the CR. 

And as I've said multiple times, remove rep from the CR and ban anyone who goes on neg sprees outside of CR. You want people to talk politics only in CR, make rep bombing impossible. People don't discuss anything, they drive by and neg rep things they disagree with. 

auntie entity GIF

9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Can you name one single person this has happened to?

Fucking hell, OnBoard claimed that the Georgia voting law didn't prohibit anyone from giving voters water, and he didn't get crowdsourced.

Workswithseed, GRHorn, and Donkey Cigar haven't gotten crowdsourced.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Can you name one single person this has happened to?

Fucking hell, OnBoard claimed that the Georgia voting law didn't prohibit anyone from giving voters water, and he didn't get crowdsourced.

Workswithseed, GRHorn, and Donkey Cigar haven't gotten crowdsourced.

I guess you could technically say TJ Hooker and Kyle, but those were special cases. Your overall point is correct.

15 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Are you still posting on Shaggy or something? You do realize that the only people that have gotten crowdsourced have had hundreds of users neg them (and some passionate ones going to pick them off). The rep system on this site is so much better than it ever was on surly and no one is safe. Not even if you have 3.5k+ rep. 

Just because you think you get negged 25 times doesn't mean you are in danger of being crowdsourced. Stop being a whiney bitch and learn to defend your position on a MESSAGE BOARD or don't post your stupid shitposts that get negged. There's a lot of people as stated here that if what you are saying is true would have been crowd sourced forever ago. There is 0 anecdotal or real data to support your claims on SURLY, on SHAGGY you are absolutely right.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, VRHorn said:

I guess you could technically say TJ Hooker and Kyle, but those were special cases. Your overall point is correct.

TJ Hooker went batshit and started posting literal Q Anon shit in all caps and ranting at people like a lunatic.

Kyle went on full moderator approved posting to try to save himself for 3 full months, did great for 1 month and then relapsed fantastically enough to get negged off the board. 

Just now, immamac said:

TJ Hooker went batshit and started posting literal Q Anon shit in all caps and ranting at people like a lunatic.

Kyle went on full moderator approved posting to try to save himself for 3 full months, did great for 1 month and then relapsed fantastically enough to get negged off the board. 

Hey don’t forget about Tom. He was totally making valid points before he got negged into oblivion. Or he may have gotten tossed by y’all, not sure. But he got such unfair treatment thanks to all the rep censorship you allow. This place is turning into HF now. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Hey don’t forget about Tom. He was totally making valid points before he got negged into oblivion. Or he may have gotten tossed by y’all, not sure. But he got such unfair treatment thanks to all the rep censorship you allow. This place is turning into HF now. 

oh, sorry TJ was self-immolated and by request had me delete all his content. TTom was who I was talking about, got my crazies mixed up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

if anyone with less than 500 rep points goes into CR and gives a viewpoint that has merit but is wrong because "it's the other side's view" they can be crowdsourced in 2 fucking hours, if a certain group has their way.

I know you don't post there, but that has not been my experience. 

If it has merit, it's gets a fair hearing, support and discussion.

Spoiler

Most in the CR are eager to learn (inquisitive) and most are willing to put in the legwork to fact check (not lazy). It is a nice selection of minds from the professional-managerial class (which is often berated by actual left leaning minds, not the pretend leftists invented by the populist right).

The CR is representative of this nation's centrist orientation. There are conservatives who are popular contributors on the CR, but they are more in the mold of the William F. Buckley, Jr. and National Review - not circus clowns. 

The circus clowns receive the abuse they seek on the CR (not kink-shaming with that statement). 

Austin councilwoman says she was harassed by homeless near City Hall: 'I do not feel safe' | Fox ...

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

You’re 28?!? Holy shit. We are way closer than I thought. I assumed you were like 20 with the way you post.

Shit, how you said you were so smart I thought you were in your 60s seeing how so vain you are.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I always thought he was about 65 with the way he posts.

Hopefully with many years to bug y'all ahead of me.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Imagine someone saying you’re “doing great” on an anonymous message board. 

Imagine being over the age of 12 and being unable to go more than a month without purposely trolling people and proclaiming yourself an alpha male.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Shit, how you said you were so smart I thought you were in your 60s seeing how so vain you are.

Hopefully with many years to bug y'all ahead of me.

Oh I’m not vain. I’m one fo the more stupid posters here. That’s why I listen to the smart people rather than pretend I’m the expert. Try it sometime

• Hook 'Em 1