Wolfgang Puck can’t find waiters because of labor shortage

Armybrat

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

They did. They stopped working at restaurants for $2.13 an hour plus tips and found work elsewhere.

Good.  Everyone should strive for a job they like. 

58 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I think we should all take a break, and make it on our own for a while.

This is sort of the problem, no? 

37 minutes ago, lmao said:

He doesn't consider the trillions in corporate welfare & bailouts to corporations as 'lazy'. So he's not totally against welfare.

Well that’s opposite of what I said upthread, but keep bullshitting. Good look on you. You mad like your girl is a waitress at Chili’s or something. It’s ok man. 

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

It's a strawman that people have become drastically shittier to service industry employees over the last 15 months?

Fuck outta here with that.  Almost everyone I know (myself included) were tipping 50%+ during the pandemic.  The radio constantly bleating on about doing whatever you can for those in the industry blah blah. I’d argue for the first time people actually have a shit about their servers, and not just their regular bar keep. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You're free to just say "nuh uh" but feel free to say which of these tenets you disagree with:

1) On average, customer service and retail workers have faced worsening conditions during COVID, both due to health risks and due to customers lashing out about COVID restrictions.

2) Worsening conditions lead people to seek out different employment.

3) Entitled people were more likely to be intolerant of COVID restrictions such as masks or testing/vaccine requirements.

4) Entitled people are more likely to be annoyed to not have a militia of service employees waiting to serve their needs.

You've thrown a bunch of stuff out there that with zero basis for proof. I think people are so focused on what they see on the internet that they believe the 1 out of million morons who get videotaped being morons represent a majority instead of a very small minority. Assholes existed before Covid. Assholes exist after Covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's a stretch, but ok

So you don’t equate someone pitching a fit about not being able to go into Bed Bath and Beyond because they don’t conform to some societal norm to Jim Crow?  That’s rich.  The societal norm is the thing out of whack in that equation, not the reaction.  That’s on you for not recognizing that what is now a majority of our population (in Texas) has been systematically shit on the last 200 years, and now we’re whining about a few months of unemployment benefits keeping us from drinking shitty drinks on the deck of the Oasis?  I suppose, getting back to the Wolfgang Puck subject, we can discuss how his highest grossing restaurant Cut, in Bahrain, is a model of great employment in a country known as a bastion of equal employment rights and good will.  Get the fuck out of here.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fuck outta here with that.  Almost everyone I know (myself included) were tipping 50%+ during the pandemic.  The radio constantly bleating on about doing whatever you can for those in the industry blah blah. I’d argue for the first time people actually have a shit about their servers, and not just their regular bar keep. 

No shit.  We tipped our asses off and went out of our way to patronize every small business in the area.  Kids loved it.  "Ate out" all the damn time (if you count takeout). 

Which is kind of the point here.  These small businesses got royally fucked because they were not "essential"; but Target and Walmart are?  Or Costco or the other bog box monsters.  Then, when they can open, they are having to compete with uncle sams printing press.  Not talking about Chili's and MacDonalds.  Fuck them.  Talking about the millions of small owners that didn't have corporate backing and still managed to weather this shit storm and somehow stay open.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 8:18 PM, Lhorn said:

In the Bay Area fast food places are routinely offering $15 an hour and a lot of help wanted signs out. I’ve seen restaurants that are closing some days of the week because they don’t have enough staff 

$15 in the bay area is like $7 or $8 in Austin.  Sorry, but 31,200 isn't a living wage in the Bay Area.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

$15 in the bay area is like $7 or $8 in Austin.  Sorry, but 31,200 isn't a living wage in the Bay Area.

Not just the Bay Area, many places up and down the w. Coast and into OR and WA, but your point is taken.  

I dunno how many people are tipping 50%+, speaking of strawmen. I did tip better in the pandemic. But for one they have way less volume so that gets mitigated. And you’re ignoring the constant conflicts with the anti-restrictions crowd which is mentally exhausting as well as subjecting them to health risks. I can pull up a few thousand videos if you are claiming this didn’t happen.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Agreed.  Basically, in a lot of big cities, $15 is nothing.  It is not a living wage.  There is a shortage of affordable housing.

Not all low to minimal skilled jobs need be in the conversation about supporting a family.  Most are filled by low skilled workers and kids trying to gain experience or earn a few bucks while in schools, etc.  With the current shortage, anyone dependable and even mildly competent will move into more and more positions of responsibility and added pay.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No shit.  We tipped our asses off and went out of our way to patronize every small business in the area.  Kids loved it.  "Ate out" all the damn time (if you count takeout). 

Which is kind of the point here.  These small businesses got royally fucked because they were not "essential"; but Target and Walmart are?  Or Costco or the other bog box monsters.  Then, when they can open, they are having to compete with uncle sams printing press.  Not talking about Chili's and MacDonalds.  Fuck them.  Talking about the millions of small owners that didn't have corporate backing and still managed to weather this shit storm and somehow stay open.  

The bog box monster is one of my favorite cryptids. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Agreed.  Basically, in a lot of big cities, $15 is nothing.  It is not a living wage.  There is a shortage of affordable housing.

There’s a shortage of affordable anything, a lot of places.  But about 30 to 40% of our population would have you believe that all those people are just lazy and either sitting around playing video games or living in tents under overpasses because that’s what they want.  Meanwhile those same people complain about how hard it is to hire help at their ranch or their home at the coast, because it’s just too damned expensive.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Where did I say it was?  I was only saying that restaurant (fast food) and retail jobs are plentiful paying twice minimum wage. Whether working at chipotle should pay enough to live on is not something we will all agree on.  I never implied it was.

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Where did I say it was?  I was only saying that restaurant (fast food) and retail jobs are plentiful paying twice minimum wage. Whether working at chipotle should pay enough to live on is not something we will all agree on. 

And that's the starting pay.  If you can fog a mirror and show up on time, you can and will quickly move into more and more responsible and higher paying roles.  

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not all low to minimal skilled jobs need be in the conversation about supporting a family.  Most are filled by low skilled workers and kids trying to gain experience or earn a few bucks while in schools, etc.  With the current shortage, anyone dependable and even mildly competent will move into more and more positions of responsibility and added pay.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've thrown a bunch of stuff out there that with zero basis for proof. I think people are so focused on what they see on the internet that they believe the 1 out of million morons who get videotaped being morons represent a majority instead of a very small minority. Assholes existed before Covid. Assholes exist after Covid. 

I saw it personally many times. Multiple people were assaulted for enforcing masks. I personally saw someone say “leave me the fuck alone before I fuck you up” over masks which exceeds anything I ever saw before Covid.

You had assholes before yes and those WHERE IS MY EXTRY RAYNCH assholes still existed along with literally millions of people who thought masks etc violate their rights.

I waited tables for 2.5 years in college and 0.000% I would have done it during Covid.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Where did I say it was?  I was only saying that restaurant (fast food) and retail jobs are plentiful paying twice minimum wage. Whether working at chipotle should pay enough to live on is not something we will all agree on.  I never implied it was.

I live in Silicon Valley. I’ve got news for the living wage folks. A shit ton of people here don’t make a living wage. Grocery store workers, restaurant workers, guys at the cell phone kiosk. When I first moved here I asked “how the hell do people survive sacking groceries here?”  They answer is not that they get paid $30/hour. A ton of people have roommates and live with family etc.  They find a way by pooling resources and it’s a choice they make to be in the Bay Area, to remain near their family, etc. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Did you do anything about it? 

To be clear, I saw the shittiness in person, not the assaults. Plenty of video and news stories of the assaults however. I saw the "leave me the fuck alone before I fuck you up" in person. I saw and personally experienced the hostility and "dare ya to do something about it" when I was tasked with enforcing a mask requirement at a conference of fucking elected officials. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Almost everyone I know (myself included) were tipping 50%+ during the pandemic.  The radio constantly bleating on about doing whatever you can for those in the industry blah blah. 

b92.gif

Also, who listens to the radio?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I develop, and therefore entitle, apartments for a living. Would be interesting to know if there is more to this story. I have seen many, especially land owners who don’t do this regularly, cause themselves more trouble than they needed to because of their approach.

Not to say SF is easy or this case shouldn’t have been any different but would be interesting to know.

But the video is dead on about the lack of new supply increasing the pricing.

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

You don't believe Chipotle should pay enough for their workers enough to live on? Seriously?

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Should jobs that don’t pay a living wage not exist?

Sure they can exist, but you can’t bitch too loudly about not being able to fill them, and probably don’t want to build a business around them in coming years. 

5 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Sure they can exist, but you can’t bitch too loudly about not being able to fill them, and probably don’t want to build a business around them in coming years. 

So a job at Chipotle should provide a living wage for a family with one income regardless of location?

If an independent hardware store had to pay a living wage in San Francisco, they would have to raise his prices. Which would be fine, but many of their potential customers will seek the cheaper price from Amazon or elsewhere. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

And that's the starting pay.  If you can fog a mirror and show up on time, you can and will quickly move into more and more responsible and higher paying roles.  

Btw you didn’t address Wolfgang Puck,, his Cut restaurant in Bahrain, hiring slave labor and exploiting them.  Care to explain that?  It’s all good, they would starve in their ome country.  Might as well fuck them in the ass here, in a country that beheads people for fucking them in the ass.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So a job at Chipotle should provide a living wage for a family with one income regardless of location?

Is Chipotle entitled to enough workers to run a location at low wages? There are going to be less workers entering to workforce in coming years. If you are dependent on that category of worker to make your enterprise work, you are going to have a bad time if you don’t get ahead of that.

Fuck Chipotle, I had a bomb ass burrito for lunch today from my closest Taqueria and it was fantastic. 8.99 but would gladly pay more for everyone working there to get paid better. Chipotle can lick my nuts

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, Armybrat said:

That $9 burrito used to cost 15 cents.

A few years ago, I stopped at a hole in the wall TexMex restaurant on the Southside of San Antonio with a friend. My buddy ordered the Deluxe plate that came with two cheese enchiladas, rice beans and a side of beef fajitas for $5.75. At the end of the meal he starts asking how they could serve so much food for $5.75 and make money.

Me: "I don't know but that's why I am not eating it. That's gotta be illegal horse meat smuggled in from Mexico."

8 minutes ago, F250 said:

A few years ago, I stopped at a hole in the wall TexMex restaurant on the Southside of San Antonio with a friend. My buddy ordered the Deluxe plate that came with two cheese enchiladas, rice beans and a side of beef fajitas for $5.75. At the end of the meal he starts asking how they could serve so much food for $5.75 and make money.

Me: "I don't know but that's why I am not eating it. That's gotta be illegal horse meat smuggled in from Mexico."

Restaurant TexMex fare has a very large profit margin according to relatives in the business. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You don't believe Chipotle should pay enough for their workers enough to live on? Seriously?

Has working pretty much the lowest paying jobs available, a wage so low that the government says you aren't allowed to pay any lower, ever been enough to live on regardless of location?  Your definition of enough to live on and mine might be different, but I'm not aware that it's ever been enough to live on, IMO.  But now, something that's never been possible is mandatory?   

What I want and believe are irrelevent.  If Chipotle can fill their jobs paying less than a person can live on, they'll continue to do so.  If, as we are seeing currently, retailers can't hire for those wages, then they need to pay more until they can fill their jobs.  It will be disproportionately bad for small business owners.  But don't fret, your precious big box retailers and restaurants like Applebees will still be there for you.  

If the country decides that you need to make enough wrapping up Whopper to get an apt in SF and a nice little sedan, then I'll probably be eating at home a lot more because I can't afford restaurants, but that's OK.  I don't eat out much anyway.   

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Restaurant TexMex fare has a very large profit margin according to relatives in the business. 

That sounds reasonable considering the majority of the ingredients are pretty inexpensive. I was joking with my friend about the smuggled horse meat the real reason is I usually don't eat meat during the week and definitely don't eat cheese enchiladas.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

That sounds reasonable considering the majority of the ingredients are pretty inexpensive. I was joking with my friend about the smuggled horse meat the real reason is I usually don't eat meat during the week and definitely don't eat cheese enchiladas.

What's wrong with cheese enchiladas?