Wolfgang Puck can’t find waiters because of labor shortage

Armybrat

I don’t understand the ‘back in my day I made xyz, lived frugally and worked my way into a better career’.  Your experience doesn’t mean shit to today. 

Back in my undergrad days from 98-02 I worked full time summers and part time during school at $8/hour, graduated with only a small (<$10k) loan, moved to Austin for $13/hour and worked my way up…however the times have completely changed in regard to cost of education, student loan rates, and definitely the cost of living.  

Wages haven’t come anywhere near keeping pace.  Your experience is either no longer relevant or you were one of the lucky few.  Either way it’s not applicable to the greater population of service/labor industry workers.  

To quote Cheese Wagstaff…”thay ain’t no back in da day %#%^!”

image.jpeg.18a04e5b9ea16e758220fabb96145e49.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- the idea of the cast of "Orange is the New Black" being your chipper waitresses at Applebee's is AWESOME, and I am 100% on board.

2 -- on of my dad's (a border kid) first jobs was driving a shuttle van for Braceros.  He picked them up at the bridge super-early, drove them to the fields on nearby S. Texas farms, then did the same thing at the end of the day in reverse.  Good gig.  See, we'd be creating employment!

Yes and I want to assure everyone on here that this is not a racist idea. Meth head white convicts would be assigned to Waffle Houses, Hispanic Bandidos to taquerias, cantinas, and night clubs, and Black convicts could take back their jobs in country club restaurants. This would apply across the world of fast food too, the better to enhance the authenticity of these beloved restaurants. 

Given the competition of a seven-cent per hour labor pool, I do believe the pandemic-energized ex-restaurant workers currently hitting bongs and playing video games would soon be brought to heel. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yes and I want to assure everyone on here that this is not a racist idea. Meth head white convicts would be assigned to Waffle Houses, Hispanic Bandidos to taquerias, cantinas, and night clubs, and Black convicts could take back their jobs in country club restaurants. This would apply across the world of fast food too, the better to enhance the authenticity of these beloved restaurants. 

Given the competition of a seven-cent per hour labor pool, I do believe the pandemic-energized ex-restaurant workers currently hitting bongs and playing video games could soon be brought to heel. 

I was told that construction workers and restaurant people did the most drugs.

Now, even with the Libtard trying to legalize everything, I still say we could get as many roofers and waiters as we need with some well-timed sweeps. The places that still criminalize everything could rent their excess catch to states that can't find enough.

We could have some sort of central clearing house, where you pick up the phone (already dialed by an assistant,) and shout "Jorgensen! Get me 100 more South Carolinians! And make sure they're certified Low Country, that last batch was all sullen Hillbillies who didn't laugh at the guests' jokes!" "Don't you worry, Sir, I just got an inside deal after a raid on a Tri-Delt Deadhead Party, if these girls aren't Ruined Plantation Aristocracy, your customers in San Diego won't even know."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sounds good, let’s see if it stands on its own. 

5 states have dropped the Covid bucks for 2 weeks now. Three more on the 19th and several more before the end of June. The numbers will tell the tale. Could be a rush of applicants to get the best jobs. Missouri saw a nearly a 30% drop in new unemployment claims for the first time in over six weeks the week directly after the cancellation. 

A drop in new unemployment claims is not evidence that people who were already on unemployment are getting jobs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We are the only developed nation that does not provide universal healthcare, right? Fucking pathetic. People from other countries can't fathom about the system we have and many did not know we had it. They assumed a country like the USA would for sure have universal healthcare. But nope. We purposely tie healthcare to the employers to force people to work shitty jobs they don't want. And can't quit because their healthcare is tied to it. It's a perfect system for the fat cats in charge. Our healthcare system is a the biggest crock of shit existing today. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sometimes, Occam's Razor is real.  "If you think a job sucks, you don't have to work there, go get another one!" is coming home to roost.  Which makes the cries of "why won't people come work brutal, low-paying jobs with no benefits?!" the peak of irony.

American workers are doing EXACTLY what the "let the market rule!" folks have been telling them to do for years.  And it's pissing them off.

And so much this.  Want to talk about a factor that utterly warps/skews our labor market, and the willingness and mobility of labor?  Tying healthcare to employment is about as big a factor as you could think of.  If your school project was "find something to tie to the labor market that will drastically change how it functions," and you picked "healthcare," you'd get an A+.  Between its effects on mobility, or the ability to leave a job, or the ability to take a job you might otherwise prefer, but it doesn't offer healthcare and your current nightmare job does, it's a huge anchor on labor as a segment of a supposedly free market.

There are a lot of really obvious answers that have been stg us in the face for years: some jobs are shitty and don't pay enough, and healthcare/lack of healthcare utterly warps the labor market.  And when an economy goes through a "re-set," those issues really show themselves.

Sure, in the current labor market, there are lots of factors with influence, but so many people are desperately looking for some short-term boogeyman to blame when the truth is staring us in the face: these are systemic issues, come home to roost.

The history of healthcare in the United States is a fun read, but it all boils down to money. The people making the money in healthcare did not want to make less money, and because our system is ripe for money to influence legislation, guess what side won and is still winning. Let's take a stroll through the major plot points. 

For a long period of time, the titans of industry treated the American worker like shit, in shitty working conditions, with shitty benefits. Eventually change came after the Great Depression as workers were tired of getting shit on. FDR got social security passed. The next task was universal healthcare. Other countries were implementing universal healthcare in the 1940s and 1950s. France, New Zealand, Australia, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Japan, Canada. 

FDR asked for a study on how to implement universal healthcare. Truman inherited FDRs study/plan and one of his main goals was to get it done, but he didn't because the American Medical Association and American Hospital Association launched an all out assault on the legislation. Because doctors and hospitals didn't want to make less money. Back then, committees had way more power and if you influence the right committee chairs, they could sink the bill. The AMA/AHA torpedoed the legislation in both of Truman's terms. Money wins. 

At the same time, because of the war, there were wage freezes. In order to attract employees during these war wage freezes, companies started to offer healthcare as a benefit. It became so popular, that unions began to demand it in their negotiations and Congress even made it tax exempt during the war. 

After the war was over, and after the AMA torpedoed the universal healthcare. They knew the fight wasn't going away, so when the Republican Eisenhower became President, they made an offensive move by making the employer medical benefits as tax free permanent. 

There is always been a fight between the Republicans pushing privatization and Democrats pushing universal healthcare. The Democrats got Medicaid and Medicare under LBJ and the ACA under Obama. You might bring up all the healthcare things that Republicans have accomplished but they were mainly to expand privatization. For example, Bush expanding Medicare benefits to cover drug prescriptions is great except they made it privatized. Old people have to find the right plan for themselves. And if they get shitty service or shitty prices, the free market will work it out right? How many old people do you know that like changing their health plan all the time? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

A drop in new unemployment claims is not evidence that people who were already on unemployment are getting jobs.

wasn't meant to imply.  The implication was that the removal of benefits has just happened and only in a handful of states.  I was curious to see the "studies" and proof you mention in your post proving that Covid bucks had no effect on employment; this is simply the only available metric in the two weeks since the firsts states dropped the extra benefits.

There very well could be another variable, other than dropping the Covid benefits, that causes new UE claims to drop under 4,000 (30%drop) in the following 7 days for the first time in months. 

Can you point me to those studies using the nonexistent data por flavor?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Read from NPR 

As The Pandemic Recedes, Millions Of Workers Are Saying 'I Quit'

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/1007914455/as-the-pandemic-recedes-millions-of-workers-are-saying-i-quit

"I do need to pay bills, so I have to work," he says. But he now believes work has to accommodate life.

huh. what a surprise.

Restaurant and hotel workers led the way in spring resignations
More than 740,000 people who quit in April worked in the leisure and hospitality industry, which includes jobs in hotels, bars and restaurants, theme parks and other entertainment venues.

Jeremy Golembiewski has ideas about why. Last week, after 26 years in food service, he quit his job as general manager of a breakfast place in San Diego. The pandemic had a lot to do with it.

Work had gotten too stressful, marked by scant staffing and constant battles with unmasked customers. He contracted COVID-19 and brought it home to his wife and father-in-law.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

wasn't meant to imply.  The implication was that the removal of benefits has just happened and only in a handful of states.  I was curious to see the "studies" and proof you mention in your post proving that Covid bucks had no effect on employment; this is simply the only available metric in the two weeks since the firsts states dropped the extra benefits.

There very well could be another variable, other than dropping the Covid benefits, that causes new UE claims to drop under 4,000 (30%drop) in the following 7 days for the first time in months. 

Is “Covid bucks” the new “Obamaphone”? 

21 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So, uh... what if, uh, my friend applied at ten different McDonalds? Are they pretty quick with that $500 for each store?

Wasn't it McD's that offered a $50 bonus just to interview?  Tons of kids just sat there, got their money, and split?

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Work had gotten too stressful, marked by scant staffing and constant battles with unmasked customers. He contracted COVID-19 and brought it home to his wife and father-in-law.

well goddamn I thought me saying that being sick of shithead anti-mask people and risking their health was all just a strawman

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I just met with a restaurant tenant of ours, pretty high end place, to let them know full rent is now expected, as we gave them a hell of a break for a long time.  They used to be open for lunch 5 days/week, and dinner 7, but can only do just dinner 6 days/week for the same reason- just can't find the staff.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty soon, we're gonna have kids sitting at a table in their high school gym, choosing between fast food franchise hats to announce who they are signing with:

"I'm taking my talents.......

TO BK!"

5bd3fb29e40ca62e7090f38e-large.jpg?cache

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for the BK family, my manager, the assistant manager who recruited me, and the cooks and cleaners are a great bunch of folks. But after visits to Torchy's, Smashburger and Chik-Fil-A,  I have decided after many hours of prayer to reopen my recruiting. Please respect my decision."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I just met with a restaurant tenant of ours, pretty high end place, to let them know full rent is now expected, as we gave them a hell of a break for a long time.  They used to be open for lunch 5 days/week, and dinner 7, but can only do just dinner 6 days/week for the same reason- just can't find the staff.

If you didn't show up looking like this, you better get your mind right, suit up, and go do it again.

Top Hat.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The history of healthcare in the United States is a fun read, but it all boils down to money. The people making the money in healthcare did not want to make less money, and because our system is ripe for money to influence legislation, guess what side won and is still winning. Let's take a stroll through the major plot points. 

For a long period of time, the titans of industry treated the American worker like shit, in shitty working conditions, with shitty benefits. Eventually change came after the Great Depression as workers were tired of getting shit on. FDR got social security passed. The next task was universal healthcare. Other countries were implementing universal healthcare in the 1940s and 1950s. France, New Zealand, Australia, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Japan, Canada. 

FDR asked for a study on how to implement universal healthcare. Truman inherited FDRs study/plan and one of his main goals was to get it done, but he didn't because the American Medical Association and American Hospital Association launched an all out assault on the legislation. Because doctors and hospitals didn't want to make less money. Back then, committees had way more power and if you influence the right committee chairs, they could sink the bill. The AMA/AHA torpedoed the legislation in both of Truman's terms. Money wins. 

At the same time, because of the war, there were wage freezes. In order to attract employees during these war wage freezes, companies started to offer healthcare as a benefit. It became so popular, that unions began to demand it in their negotiations and Congress even made it tax exempt during the war. 

After the war was over, and after the AMA torpedoed the universal healthcare. They knew the fight wasn't going away, so when the Republican Eisenhower became President, they made an offensive move by making the employer medical benefits as tax free permanent. 

There is always been a fight between the Republicans pushing privatization and Democrats pushing universal healthcare. The Democrats got Medicaid and Medicare under LBJ and the ACA under Obama. You might bring up all the healthcare things that Republicans have accomplished but they were mainly to expand privatization. For example, Bush expanding Medicare benefits to cover drug prescriptions is great except they made it privatized. Old people have to find the right plan for themselves. And if they get shitty service or shitty prices, the free market will work it out right? How many old people do you know that like changing their health plan all the time? 

Tbf most Democrats have abandoned universal healthcare outside of some campaign rhetoric. That's for a different thread though. 

My sons friend turned 16 and is working his first job washing dishes at a local restaurant.  He needs a "livable" wage and health care?  Not every job is a career path.  

Assuming your son is around the same age, what kind of job does he have? If he's not yet 16, what kind of job is he looking to get once he does?

23 hours ago, Lhorn said:

If you get free Ch’King sandwiches for working there I’ll go with you to put in an application. 
I live in Pleasanton btw. Small world. 

I’m 44 and in a lame corporate job.  At this point, working at Burger King and not giving a fuck about work once I clock out sounds pretty awesome.  I probably couldn’t afford my house payment though.

19 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m 44 and in a lame corporate job.  At this point, working at Burger King and not giving a fuck about work once I clock out sounds pretty awesome.  I probably couldn’t afford my house payment though.

A girl I work with had her husband retire from his medical practice in his early/mid 40s a few years ago to be a house husband.  I guess he got bored because he’s apparently excited to start his new job as a waiter at a fish restaurant near the mall. 

25 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

5e9e4aaeba0c53f1a718428da1a950d8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

There are certain people including some posters in this thread that see zero issues with the current state of affairs because they were able to find success :cough:flattiefatty:cough:.

You can @ me.  Also, having a hard time following how healthcare has people “locked” into a shitty job.  It’s no different than any other benefit that needs to be normalized when you want to make a move.  Pay is less, but more flexibility. Pay is more, but demanding hours and travel.  Same shit.  I’ve had good insurance, bad insurance, and when contracting open market insurance.  

12 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

All the Buc-ee's in Texas have starting at $15/hr signs up.

And goes into the low 20’s with 3+ weeks of vacay, profit sharing, etc.   The guy that guides your tire into the fucking car wash is 17.50$/hr iirc.  Our problem is we are full to the fucking brim of unskilled labor.  

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We are the only developed nation that does not provide universal healthcare, right? Fucking pathetic.

We can’t even get half the country to contribute anything meaningful via income tax.  At some point the labor with skills grows tires of dragging the anchor which are those without. 

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I guess he got bored because he’s apparently excited to start his new job as a waiter at a fish restaurant near the mall. 

I hope as a doctor he can handle it. I hear it’s an unbelievable difficult job to jot down an order on a notepad, and check in on people every 10-12 mins. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You can @ me.  Also, having a hard time following how healthcare has people “locked” into a shitty job.  It’s no different than any other benefit that needs to be normalized when you want to make a move.  Pay is less, but more flexibility. Pay is more, but demanding hours and travel.  Same shit.  I’ve had good insurance, bad insurance, and when contracting open market insurance.  

And goes into the low 20’s with 3+ weeks of vacay, profit sharing, etc.   The guy that guides your tire into the fucking car wash is 17.50$/hr iirc.  Our problem is we are full to the fucking brim of unskilled labor.  

We can’t even get half the country to contribute anything meaningful via income tax.  At some point the labor with skills grows tires of dragging the anchor which are those without. 

If I may asm, how old are you and what do you do for a living?

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I hope as a doctor he can handle it. I hear it’s an unbelievable difficult job to jot down an order on a notepad, and check in on people every 10-12 mins. 

You really don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. That's about as dumb a description of waiting tables as saying all doctors do is heal people.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We are the only developed nation that does not provide universal healthcare, right? Fucking pathetic. People from other countries can't fathom about the system we have and many did not know we had it. They assumed a country like the USA would for sure have universal healthcare. But nope. We purposely tie healthcare to the employers to force people to work shitty jobs they don't want. And can't quit because their healthcare is tied to it. It's a perfect system for the fat cats in charge. Our healthcare system is a the biggest crock of shit existing today. 

Most Americans can’t fathom waiting 8 weeks on an MRI or 6-12 months for a surgery using the lowest cost (cheapest quality) medical devices. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You really don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. That's about as dumb a description of waiting tables as saying all doctors do is heal people.  

When you boil them down to just jotting orders on a paper and refilling your water cup, you can justify paying them a couple dollars an hour, Bc they’re too fucking dumb for real money! 

Nice elitism there, fatty 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, Homercles said:

Wages haven’t come anywhere near keeping pace.  Your experience is either no longer relevant or you were one of the lucky few.  Either way it’s not applicable to the greater population of service/labor industry workers.  

Pure bullshit.  You call it luck.  I call it effort and making the tougher decisions.

When your company institutes a new rule forcing time off because you were willing to do anything legal to make more money( advance your career,) I don't want to fucking hear how lucky I was.  I worked my ass off and put in the time for where I am today.  I didn't luck into anything beyond having the health and the will power to make it happen.

People make decisions based upon what is available to them.  There are always trade offs.  the notion that a few people just got lucky and there is little to no opportunity is a complete lie.  It dismisses what makes people successful and writes it off as the luck of the draw.  We all have different circumstances-  what are you doing to still go out and make a freaking life out of them?

Far too many are way too comfortable with blaming the man or the system or whatever other fucking excuse they want to embrace as the reason they never had a real shot.

Fuck that.

Edited by slorch

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Old people have to find the right plan for themselves. And if they get shitty service or shitty prices, the free market will work it out right?

Your revisionist history of healthcare is biased and incomplete. There is no "free market" in healthcare and one could argue that Medicare poisoned the well and has been a cornerstone of complex and convoluted pricing for decades, ripe for abuse and greed. Medicare (and Medicaid to some extent) helped to create the worst of both worlds with crappy non-transparent pricing and crappy care.  It's definitely a "both sides" problem.  Not so much a topic for restaurant wages because at least restaurants are a lot more free market than healthcare. Apples and oranges man.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Your revisionist history of healthcare is biased and incomplete. There is no "free market" in healthcare and one could argue that Medicare poisoned the well and has been a cornerstone of complex and convoluted pricing for decades, ripe for abuse and greed. Medicare (and Medicaid to some extent) helped to create the worst of both worlds with crappy non-transparent pricing and crappy care.  It's definitely a "both sides" problem.  Not so much a topic for restaurant wages because at least restaurants are a lot more free market than healthcare. Apples and oranges man.

I agree it is a both sides problem. I never said there was a free market in healthcare. I said Bush introduced privatization into Prescription Drugs choice in Medicare in the Modernization of Medicare Act of 2003, instead of just covering drugs in Medicare, they introduce plans that seniors could shop for themselves, market competition would keep things efficient and keep costs low, that was the idea behind it. My criticism is that not only are seniors the least likely to be savvy nimble shoppers that switch plans when they don't like their drug plan, but also drug companies can charge whatever the fuck they want. Which ties in to your rightful criticism of Medicare, the cost. I agree Medicare was fucked from the word go, but there is a reason for that, the language inserted in section 1801 stated "“Nothing in this title shall be construed to authorize any Federal officer or employee to exercise supervision or control over the practice of medicine or the manner in which medical services are provided" which led to a system where the government (ie taxpayers) couldn't control the costs and had to pay whatever "reasonable costs" doctors and medical providers asked for, with little oversight. It is the same reason why drug prices in ACA are fucked. To get Big Pharma to not oppose the ACA and tank it, they made a sweetheart deal, meaning no price controls for Big Pharma, they could charge whatever they want for drugs. We keep enacting these big government programs because the people demand them, and big business takes the teeth out of them aka the price controls.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:46 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I went to the Oasis, once.

Nice view, decent drinks and way overpriced food that makes you wish you were eating at a Taco Bell. 

Someone earlier posted they’re surprised it didn’t accidentally burn down again during covid. I second that thought. Seems to happen a lot in Austin. 

7 hours ago, lmao said:

If I may asm, how old are you and what do you do for a living?

38.  Offshore O&G construction, focusing mainly on decomm. Moved into onshore works, focusing on specialized super heavy lift. Moved into a structural SME role, BUT like life does, threw a curveball. Docs were concerned one of my little ones had serious issues. So I got in touch with an old colleague who had recently become President of a company, and got on with them for the insurance. Fortunately, after about 100k (cash price) in procedures, they think she is fine.  The bonus is now I get to spend roughly 70% of my time away from my kids now, and make 70k less, yay!  

So yeah I feel pretty confident I can tell you what it’s like to prioritize healthcare vs pay vs time away from home.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Nice elitism there, fatty 

It has jack shit to do with that. I’m certain there are stressors like any other job. But I invite them to give a bad news P&L to a PE group that has given you 9-figures to manage, and compare that some Karen bitching about her undercooked steak.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Pure bullshit.  You call it luck.  I call it effort and making the tougher decisions.

It’s still partly luck, Slorch. I know you got dealt a crappy hand in some respects, and I don’t doubt that you’ve busted your ass to provide for your family.  But our age group was lucky to have been born when we were, our best earning years have corresponded with huge economic growth. I’m nothing special but have managed to support raising a family on one income and luck into buying real estate at the right times.   Luck has a lot to do with that, particularly having the means to snap things up during a downturn.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

When your company institutes a new rule forcing time off because you were willing to do anything legal to make more money( advance your career,) I don't want to fucking hear how lucky I was.  I worked my ass off and put in the time for where I am today.  I didn't luck into anything beyond having the health and the will power to make it happen.

People make decisions based upon what is available to them.  There are always trade offs.  the notion that a few people just got lucky and there is little to no opportunity is a complete lie.  It dismisses what makes people successful and writes it off as the luck of the draw.  We all have different circumstances-  what are you doing to still go out and make a freaking life out of them?

Far too many are way too comfortable with blaming the man or the system or whatever other fucking excuse they want to embrace as the reason they never had a real shot.

Fuck that.

I didn’t make my point clear and I apologize for that.  Yes you have a lot of control over your career by the choices and sacrifices you make, but general circumstances absolutely adjust your odds of success.  

I was trying to acknowledge that those general circumstances were pretty favorable to me in the timeframe I finished college and went to work in regards to college cost, loan rates and cost of living.  Compared to today, those factors were more favorable…I lucked out by not graduating with $60k+ in debt, at much higher rates and a 3x housing market.  

I too worked my butt off, graduating with an MIS degree during the tech bubble bursting and thus having no other alternatives but taking tech support calls on nights/weekends…slowly working my way up the ladder over the past 19 years.  

Again I’m talking about my/our experiences 20+ years ago not being fully relevant to today’s world.  Compensation has not been keeping pace with education and living expenses, being pretty sure I wouldn’t have been a homeowner at 25 these days even if I put in the same sacrifices I did when I was coming up…

For these reasons I think it’s foolish to generalize and dismiss the concerns of a generation as blaming everyone else without considering how their circumstances are unique.  We all complained about that shit when our parents or grandparents did the same thing…uphill in the snow both ways, which I figured you’d get around to arguing anyways.