2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Man we really need the QB musical chairs to start going. Single biggest need for us easily right now Obviously everyone knows tOSU is overloaded but a few other rooms I have my eyes on:

USC - Slovis (who hasn't been great since his first year in 2019), top 100 2021 recruit Jaxson Dart (current starter), top 100 2021 Miller Moss, and of course potentially Caleb Williams. 

Miami - a RS Freshman locked down the job and balled out after King went down, but they also have top 50 2021 Jake Garcia sitting on the bench. Also lost their OC and might lose HC

UGA - Bennett, JT Daniels, Brock Vandagriff (top 20 2021, currently 4th string), Carson Beck (2020), incoming Gunner Stockton

Washington - less likely one but top 15 2021 Sam Huard is there being a RS Fr starter and the new coach may bring that Fresno transfer QB with him

According to 247 Sark recruited all of those 2021s at Bama except Huard. 

What about JT Daniels?  Is he considered bad now or injury prone?  I remember he had a ton of hype early on and played ok I guess.  

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't think we should care about recruiting rankings all that much in the portal- I think you have got to go with someone who proved themselves productive in their time in college.  Card was highly rated.  I don't want someone that's been on the bench (guy like Ewers excepted) I want a guy who has led a team and done so successfully.  Boyd does a good job pointing out all the advantages on offense.  We just need someone smart- decisive with the ball and who doesn't step on their own dick and throw the ball out of bounds when they see Xavier Worthy with nobody within 20 yards of him against Baylor.  We need a senior grad transfer from Louisiana Tech or Mike Leach or some such shit- just a guy that might not be really big, might not have a huge arm but isn't a gaping vagina, has commanded a huddle and a locker room before and doesn't miss easy shit.  

Generally agree but I think it's different with 2021s. Someone like Vandagriff was never going to start this year, just like Ewers. Moss and Dart couldn't both start even if they're both ballers. And so on. Obviously this is a riskier path but there likely won't be a bunch of talented experienced starters available.

If we're talking about a Junior or Senior, then yeah throw the recruiting ranks out the window (Ben Davis a good example)

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Are those good numbers?  Those seem like good numbers.

To me that was the biggest deficiency on defense, absolutely no pass rush. We have to have guys that can get to the QB. I said it earlier this year, this is a different team if Ossai and Sam Cosmi had stuck around for another year.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

To me that was the biggest deficiency on defense, absolutely no pass rush. We have to have guys that can get to the QB. I said it earlier this year, this is a different team if Ossai and Sam Cosmi had stuck around for another year.

Agree. EDGE is a bigger portal need than LB imo

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree. EDGE is a bigger portal need than LB imo

This kid picked up a Utah offer this morning. Has offers from Colorado, Kansas, Utah State, and others. 6-4 250 and looks athletic. 3 years of eligibility. Had 4 sacks this spring and 9.5 this fall.

https://ualbanysports.com/sports/football/roster/jared-verse/8417

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fun Fact: We should hire Hankton's brother to coach WR.

For those unaware (and I am only aware because I googled about Coach Hankton) UT's Coach Hankton (Cordae Hankton) is the brother of former NFL WR / Texas Southern Graduate and now WR/PGC for the Georgia Bulldogs Cortez Hankton.

So, yeah, we should hire his brother.

Saw article starting with the transfer portal there are now approximately 500 fewer spots that will be given to high school seniors.  I think that number will be even higher.

For perspective, 15% less HS players signing last year, ~20%+ this year.

It's basically created an incentive for those deemed "best" out of high school to prosper even more while fewer and fewer kids actually are given an opportunity to go to college on scholarship.

15 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

This kid picked up a Utah offer this morning. Has offers from Colorado, Kansas, Utah State, and others. 6-4 250 and looks athletic. 3 years of eligibility. Had 4 sacks this spring and 9.5 this fall.

https://ualbanysports.com/sports/football/roster/jared-verse/8417

Only if you can tell us where Albany is.

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Albany, NY. I lived in Saratoga Springs for about 4 years.

Damn, you didn't even need to go to google maps. I had a friend who played football for a SUNY school there, otherwise I would have no clue other than it is in the northern part of NY state.

45 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Saw article starting with the transfer portal there are now approximately 500 fewer spots that will be given to high school seniors.  I think that number will be even higher.  For perspective, 15% less HS players signing last year, ~20%+ this year.  

It's basically created an incentive for those deemed "best" out of high school to prosper even more while fewer and fewer kids actually are given an opportunity to go to college on scholarship.

Seems like the temporary rule change of 7 additional roster spots for transfers lost,  might need to become permanent and also be increased to 10-12 spots ??

Probably have to find more ways for High School kids to have more scholarship opportunities... can't risk more high school kids not playing football. 

Fall article:  NCAA waiver will help football teams replace transfers

Looking to address the growing number of transfers, the NCAA Division I Council approved a one-year waiver Tuesday that will allow college football teams to sign up to seven players to replace those that leave.

Current NCAA rules state a team can sign no more than 25 players to a scholarship in any year. That includes incoming high school prospects and college transfers. The waiver will allow teams to sign 25 players, plus as many as seven transfers — not high school players — to replace those who transfer out in the first term.

Football players still cannot transfer during the season and become eligible to compete at their new schools.

With the loosening of transfer rules leading to more players switching teams, combined with the bonus year of eligibility granted to athletes who competed during the pandemic in 2020, coaches had two main concerns:

— Not being able to replenish a roster after a potential mass exodus of transfers.

— Not being able to sign a full complement of high school prospects because an increased number of scholarships were being used on transfers.

“We believe schools should have temporary flexibility to address possible roster depletion due to transfers,” Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour, a member of the D-I Council, said in a statement. “This one-year waiver enables schools to properly utilize their their scholarship limitations.”

The waiver is expected to become official after the Division I Council meeting concludes Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Generally agree but I think it's different with 2021s. Someone like Vandagriff was never going to start this year, just like Ewers. Moss and Dart couldn't both start even if they're both ballers. And so on. Obviously this is a riskier path but there likely won't be a bunch of talented experienced starters available.

If we're talking about a Junior or Senior, then yeah throw the recruiting ranks out the window (Ben Davis a good example)

Yep. So really 2 guys would be ideal. A 5th year Covid senior like the guy at Western Kentucky and a high upside top 100 guy from 2021 class. 

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. So really 2 guys would be ideal. A 5th year Covid senior like the guy at Western Kentucky and a high upside top 100 guy from 2021 class. 

The Western Kentucky guy is going to the Senior Bowl. I'm interested to see if Chase Garbers portals after Cal's game Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I think he was supposed to be their starter this year but has been in the dog house. I think basically practice performance. Looks like he never really regained the job so I'm not sure how I'd feel about using a portal spot on him (feel like we have bigger positions of need). Article below

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2021/11/10/nick-saban-jahleel-billingsley-alabama-football/6379745001/

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I think he was supposed to be their starter this year but has been in the dog house. I think basically practice performance. Looks like he never really regained the job so I'm not sure how I'd feel about using a portal spot on him (feel like we have bigger positions of need). Article below

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2021/11/10/nick-saban-jahleel-billingsley-alabama-football/6379745001/

I agree TE isn't a huge position of need, but Banks and Sark will know if he is a take.  

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)