2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - IT continues to say Texas will be very active in the portal and expects Texas to land/announce a portal commitment next week - not the UNLV LB though they think Texas has a good chance there as well.

IT expects Coburn, Jamison, and Cook to return.  Overshown is a probably.  BJ Foster is likely to portal/declare.

Probably Billingsly

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well he's a colossal fucking douche whose teammates hated him, and he never actually looked much like living up to his ranking on the field, but you know good luck with that.

Beggars can't be choosers.  We had an OU QB transfer some years ago who got beat out by a freshman and he worked out pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

yeah, Bo Davis telling current team members to get in the portal was a big time tell that we are going strong in the portal.  we should be able to bring in a significant number of upgrades from the portal.  i'm kind of excited.

I don't think Texas gets shit beyond JAGS and fillers. We have an OL coach that cannot recruit and stubbornly sticks with hippos on rollerskates at tackle. Prepare yourself to be disappointed. If anything positive happens, great, but why you'd have faith in this staff to sell talent on the shitshow that is this team is beyond me.

• Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah. I’m just guessing that based off @RGBIII    he was on Sabans bad side because he didn’t get vaccinated. Was supposedly the only member of the Alabama team not to. 

Here's one incident where Saban used Billingsley to make a point in Aug 2021...

Saban then used a depth-chart question – specifically about junior tight end Jahleel Billingsley – to reinforce his ideology for Tide football.

“Well, that's up to him. That's not up to me,” Saban said of Billingsley's place in the pecking order. “He knows what he's supposed to do in practice. He knows what he's supposed to do.

“You know, this is not a democracy. Everybody doesn't get to do what they want to do. Everybody doesn't get to do what they feel like doing. You've got to buy in and do what you're supposed to do to be a part of the team and do the things you need to do in practice, every day. That's a sense of urgency, play fast, execute, do your job.”

Saban also hammered home the point that Alabama's practice are so heavily attended by professional scouts that Crimson Tide players can begin laying the foundation for a potential professional career long before gameday.

“It's a privilege for everybody to go out there and create value for yourself,” Saban said. “We have (NFL) scouts at practice every day. Everybody thinks it's just about playing in the game. It's not just about playing in the game. They watch practice film, they watch guys every day.

“You guys on ESPN, you evaluate what happens in the game but they evaluate what happens every day. So what are you doing every day to create any value for yourself? But you have to create value for yourself so that your teammates and everybody gets confidence in you so that you have their confidence when you go out there and play. That's up to every player on the team. I don't make that decision for everybody on the team. I try to get them to do it. I try to point out the importance of doing it, but it's up to them to do it. Maybe that's not my question to answer.”

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This kid seemed like the lock-iest of locks to be great at OU. What a shame /s

Go back and watch his senior hudl. He was huge (6-7, 330), but didn't move well at that weight and wasn't explosive in any manner. It's pretty shocking people kept him that high in the rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't think Texas gets shit beyond JAGS and fillers. We have an OL coach that cannot recruit and stubbornly sticks with hippos on rollerskates at tackle. Prepare yourself to be disappointed. If anything positive happens, great, but why you'd have faith in this staff to sell talent on the shitshow that is this team is beyond me.

coolstory-hansel.gif

15 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Go back and watch his senior hudl. He was huge (6-7, 330), but didn't move well at that weight and wasn't explosive in any manner. It's pretty shocking people kept him that high in the rankings.

This is right. Supposed to be a great guy.

They kept talking about him re-shaping his body...now he'll get a chance to do it somewhere else. Hope he goes somewhere and does great.

One of the best things about NIL

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT expects Coburn, Jamison, and Cook to return.  Overshown is a probably.  BJ Foster is likely to portal/declare.

One of the best things about NIL money is it gives fringe or late round NFL prospects a chance to potentially move up while also potentially getting paid.  Overshown in particular can probably easily make 6 figures next year.  Imagine how much Eagles could have helped our offense.  No idea his situation but if he was looking at getting paid $250K as the top returning receiver coming into this season, maybe he sticks around instead of essentially ending his career by leaving early.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Bunch a pipe swingin’ mother fuckers right there!  

See, that's the problem. We need pipe hitters. We got swingers for days.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - IT continues to say Texas will be very active in the portal and expects Texas to land/announce a portal commitment next week - not the UNLV LB though they think Texas has a good chance there as well.

Buh-Bye.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm gunna start quote-tweeting every recruit and transfer candidate with the "eyes" emoji and #HookEm.

Not even on your birthday should you do this.

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

yeah, Bo Davis telling current team members to get in the portal was a big time tell that we are going strong in the portal.  we should be able to bring in a significant number of upgrades from the portal.  i'm kind of excited.

Yeah I think that verbal explosion certainly was based on info the coaches had discussed behind closed doors previous to that outburst. He just let it out. Don't blame him. I would have been pissed if players were cutting up and having a good time after that performance. My HS baseball coach let us have it after we finished a tournament in 3rd place. Hell we won the game and he flipped out, even broke the trophy on the bus. He had higher expectations for us. He was right, we went on and played for the state title.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Yeah I think that verbal explosion certainly was based on info the coaches had discussed behind closed doors previous to that outburst. He just let it out. Don't blame him. I would have been pissed if players were cutting up and having a good time after that performance. My HS baseball coach let us have it after we finished a tournament in 3rd place. Hell we won the game and he flipped out, even broke the trophy on the bus. He had higher expectations for us. He was right, we went on and played for the state title.

Humble brag

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wow. I know it's been rumored, but I've gotten to where I'm taking rumors with a legit grain of salt on stuff like this. 

For anyone wondering, Jamison has benefitted from NIL in non-trivial ways and will keep doing so in the future. Fringy NFL guys might have more incentive to hold off in the future? At Texas it looks like there's a shot that that can be true, at least. 

That would be excellent. Jamison has so much talent, if he could just get himself to focus every snap he could be a great college CB and return man. He just seems like he zones out sometimes. I think he could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of an actual Patterson hire in his contract year. Which I guess will now become your "NIL only lasts one more season you better get your shit together for NFL scouts" year.

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That would be excellent. Jamison has so much talent, if he could just get himself to focus every snap he could be a great college CB and return man. He just seems like he zones out sometimes. I think he could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of an actual Patterson hire in his contract year. Which I guess will now become your "NIL only lasts one more season you better get your shit together for NFL scouts" year.

I believe Terry Joseph refers to that as "Soft Quarters"

• Haha 1

On the play in question the issue was that Jamison was trying something stupid (waiting until he could try to punch the ball out instead of just diving and making the tackle) while Foster was just not trying.

So Jamison being benched temporarily and going back in after some hard coaching while Foster never played again makes complete sense.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jamison struggled one on one all season long.. which is why I think we saw a lot of two deep safetys to cover for him.  If Gary really is on board, be interesting in seeing how he does with him.  I'm higher on Barron, but guess we'll have to see how Johnson, Ibraheem, Crawford do during the spring and summer camps

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)