Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The airlines need to have a shared no-fly list, and they need to honor it.  

Somebody gets kicked off AA, they shouldn't be allowed to fly SWA or UA either. 

Delta suggested this not long ago.  Not sure if any other airlines have said anything about it but I wish they would.  

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Are mask mandates applying to domestic carriers or is it a company decision ?  Seems like if it's a federal requirement then you'd automatically be put on a no fly list.

The mask mandate is from the feds but violators don't get put on the federal no-fly list.  That list is for national security type stuff, terrorism watch lists, etc... and covers all airlines that fly in or into the US.  The company-specific no-fly lists are for violent or abusive behavior and threats but not up to the level of terrorism.  Those are the ones Delta would like to have shared between airlines.  Most of the major airlines have well over 1000 names on their individual lists.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

The mask mandate is from the feds but violators don't get put on the federal no-fly list.  That list is for national security type stuff, terrorism watch lists, etc... and covers all airlines that fly in or into the US.  The company-specific no-fly lists are for violent or abusive behavior and threats but not up to the level of terrorism.  Those are the ones Delta would like to have shared between airlines.  Most of the major airlines have well over 1000 names on their individual lists.  

It's like the Vegas Black Book and they absolutely should share it.  Let these cocksuckers ride the bus.  Or a train, both of which still have federal mask mandates in place...

• Hook 'Em 1

Flew this past week for the first time in a year and a half.  I used to fly a decent amount pre-covid so it felt a little weird being back.  However, I had forgotten how much I loathed the flying public.  The problem now is that the pros are all at home and it's 100% amateurs or people that have flown twice or something.  The level of dumb shittery is mind bottling.  Get on the plane, sit down, listen/watch something, and let them bring you something to drink.

Quoting below.  Flying out of Phoenix, trying to check in golf clubs.  (I never check anything unless I absolutely have to.)  We're at priority and evidently they let people in wheelchairs cut in line even in front of priority.  (M'kay.)  African family of six, including a wheelchair type is trying unsuccessfully to check in.  They're missing some documentation or something.  They're from Africa so they've flown internationally before so you would think they'd have their paperwork.  Either that, to your point, fire up the InterGoogle and see what else you need.  They were frantically calling people and going through their docs.  The poor gate agent looked like she wanted to hang herself.  They were there when we got there and still there when we left.  Complete chaos.

Them and one other woman whose tiny suitcase somehow weighed more than 50 pounds held everyone else up.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:26 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Got damn I am so tired of assholes who don’t know shit and wander through this world in a fog of mouthbreathing incomprehension.

I don’t know how you are capable of buying an international ticket but still showing up at the airport unaware that this thing called “COVID” means there’s gonna be some extra paperwork. I get that it’s confusing and can maybe give you a pass for bringing the WRONG shit.

But not showing up at the baggage drop and being completely mystified at the concept of showing anything at all- tests, vaccine cards, entry forms. I guess the internet really is only Facebook and cat memes for some people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Flew this past week for the first time in a year and a half.  I used to fly a decent amount pre-covid so it felt a little weird being back.  However, I had forgotten how much I loathed the flying public.  The problem now is that the pros are all at home and it's 100% amateurs or people that have flown twice or something.  The level of dumb shittery is mind bottling.  Get on the plane, sit down, listen/watch something, and let them bring you something to drink.

Quoting below.  Flying out of Phoenix, trying to check in golf clubs.  (I never check anything unless I absolutely have to.)  We're at priority and evidently they let people in wheelchairs cut in line even in front of priority.  (M'kay.)  African family of six, including a wheelchair type is trying unsuccessfully to check in.  They're missing some documentation or something.  They're from Africa so they've flown internationally before so you would think they'd have their paperwork.  Either that, to your point, fire up the InterGoogle and see what else you need.  They were frantically calling people and going through their docs.  The poor gate agent looked like she wanted to hang herself.  They were there when we got there and still there when we left.  Complete chaos.

Them and one other woman whose tiny suitcase somehow weighed more than 50 pounds held everyone else up.

The wheelchair thing is very much a known scam. Well, not scam but a “hack” that people who don’t need wheelchairs pull. Especially bad on flights with lots of passengers from S. Asia but you’ll see it a lot in other places, too. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/home/sunday-times/the-great-indian-wheelchair-jugaad/amp_articleshow/62675585.cms

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The wheelchair thing is very much a known scam. Well, not scam but a “hack” that people who don’t need wheelchairs pull. Especially bad on flights with lots of passengers from S. Asia but you’ll see it a lot in other places, too. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/home/sunday-times/the-great-indian-wheelchair-jugaad/amp_articleshow/62675585.cms

I was flying out of Seattle once and a 50ish year old woman walked perfectly fine from parking and said "I need a wheelchair."  Realized then it was a scam for large portions of them.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Was on a LAS-PHX flight a few weeks ago. Gal gets on the plane in the last 5% or so of the load and has 2 carry on bags, a giant purse and a laptop bag. 

Both “carry on’s” were WELL over size, by 8” or better. To boot, they both had checked tags from some point. One got slammed in the bin over the row behind me, taking up 2/3 of the bin and some things were moved. Next one was similar, but maybe about mid coach. Then all the way to sit in the back. 

How those bags made it past TSA or any gate agent I have no idea. It wasn’t just barely over, like 8” or better. Fucking ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Have you noticed how many people are either standing on the moving walkway or just randomly stop in high traffic areas? We've been to Boston, Salt Lake City, and both airports in Dallas in the last 3 months and it has gotten to the point where I leave a few feet in front of me because if I follow too closely I'm gonna run into someone who just decides to stop moving their legs and stand there. I can't eat and move anymore because I know if I do I'm gonna smash my food into someone's back.

• Hook 'Em 1

United’s announcements this weekend stated that if you don’t comply with the federal mask mandate you will be removed from the flight and banned from flying on United in the future.  They also stated that masks must be put back on between bites and sips.  Well, fuck that part. 

14 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

They also stated that masks must be put back on between bites and sips.  Well, fuck that part.

Having been privileged to fly 50 something flight segments with United this year I’ve rarely seen this enforced (but some flight attendants are on point). 

On my last flight I used the lavatory before we were going to descend because the three G&T’s I had was putting pressure on the bladder and while in there I took my mask off. It wasn’t until they were going around making sure your seat was up that someone asked for me to put my mask on. I had completely forgot. 

Ditto on the previous comments about willing to spend money for better service.  I'm too cheap to buy first class on domestic (but will on international), however, I'll spend more for better schedules, status, etc.  I'm amazed at the number of people that have the money that will get a shitty itinerary or fly Shitbox Air just to save $50 or something.  

However, as Penelope (I think) pointed out, the flying public has said that they want the cheapest fare possible so that's why we have what we have.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I used to fly a decent amount pre-covid so it felt a little weird being back.

We're at priority and evidently they let people in wheelchairs cut in line even in front of priority.  (M'kay.)  

Uh, wheelchair has always been first to load...

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think all of our current problem with unruly air travelers could be solved by instituting a dress code on airplanes.  Suit and tie for the men and dresses, heels, and hats for the ladies.

Then they need to bring this food service back.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think all of our current problem with unruly air travelers could be solved by instituting a dress code on airplanes.  Suit and tie for the men and dresses, heels, and hats for the ladies.

Can you speak up? I can't hear you from 1956. 

20 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Another weekend, another epic meltdown by AA. After more than thousand canceled flights combined the last few days, today it has axed 36% of its schedule (more than 1,000 flights today).

Good job, good effort. Doug Parker need to be shot out of a cannon.  

I almost got caught in this.  Southwest Florida for a week, notified the night before my return flight that my RSW-DAL was cancelled and we would be re-booked from Saturday at Noon to Monday at 8PM.  Fuck that.  Spent a good portion of my night on hold, but got a direct flight out of MIA with plenty of time to drive over.

We lucked out, but the line for re-booking assistance at MIA stretched for three gates.

43 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

We lucked out, but the line for re-booking assistance at MIA stretched for three gates.

This right here is why I keep BA Silver (or higher.)

Fuck the counter. Rebook me in the lounge. Way better options. Those AAngels got keys that gate/ticket agents don’t even know exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

This right here is why I keep BA Silver (or higher.)
Fuck the counter. Rebook me in the lounge. Way better options. Those AAngels got keys that gate/ticket agents don’t even know exist.

This is the key regardless of airline. If you have the means and travel enough, keep status somewhere or a card that takes care of these things. Or I guess a corporate travel agent that fixes both personal and work travel.

3 hours ago, castolon said:

This is the key regardless of airline. If you have the means and travel enough, keep status somewhere or a card that takes care of these things. Or I guess a corporate travel agent that fixes both personal and work travel.

Yep, the card member "status" got me onto another phone queue to re-book overnight, versus having to wait at the airport.  Ruined a night's sleep, but I'd rather do that than stand in that line 10 times out of 10.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:00 PM, HRSchenker said:

Have you noticed how many people are either standing on the moving walkway or just randomly stop in high traffic areas? We've been to Boston, Salt Lake City, and both airports in Dallas in the last 3 months and it has gotten to the point where I leave a few feet in front of me because if I follow too closely I'm gonna run into someone who just decides to stop moving their legs and stand there. I can't eat and move anymore because I know if I do I'm gonna smash my food into someone's back.

Shopping at costco on a weekend is good training for dealing with this idiotic behavior.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:34 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm talking about check in.  They wheeled them in front of the priority passengers.  I almost never check bags so maybe that's always been the case.  (Only checked this time because of golf clubs.)

It's probably because the person pushing the chair is on the clock.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why would they do that?  Just let it go to wherever he checked it to. Up to him to get it back, I say. 

I was in a hurry once and left my wallet at home.  Checked the bag and couldn’t get through security. The bag made it to the destination and my wife hated me for making her lug two checked bags until I could grab a flight the next morning.  Expensive mistake.

Edited by conVINCEd

I always thought not sending the bag without the passenger is a "security" thing. Belief  being that someone would be less likely to intentionally check a bag with something that would bring down the plane if they are on the plane with it. Though,  if that is your intent, history would tell us that is probably not a big deterrent.