Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

At LAX this morning, some fucking miserable angry woman was screaming at the AA gate agent.  Cops came and observed.  AA managers came and observed.   They were all too polite.  I really considered going over there and telling the angry bitch to STFU and quit being an asshole.   

I don't care WTF happened to her...that behavior is never called for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

At LAX this morning, some fucking miserable angry woman was screaming at the AA gate agent.  Cops came and observed.  AA managers came and observed.   They were all too polite.  I really considered going over there and telling the angry bitch to STFU and quit being an asshole.   

You really need to get control of the Mrs. 

27 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Actually had a great encounter on Sunday coming back from Asheville, so here’s some positivity for this salty group:

Waiting for the endless cattle call as we’re in group 6 and this country lookin’ dude comes up and asks if we’re in his group (he’s 7). We tell him to hang tight and he proceeds to tell us this is his first REAL flight. I inquire what that means and he says that him and a buddy took a Cessna over the local hills once, just spotting the trees to mark their line.

Anyway, I get a chuckle from that, assume he’s BSing and board the flight. Dude ends up with the last row in coach and as we’re about to take off he pipes up…

“Oh… oh… OHHHHHH… YEE HAWWWWWWWWWW!”

Lasted a good ten seconds and made me appreciate the ascent. Dude had him a time!

Is this the guy?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jo34w40ywagb4356jl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've literally seen people screaming at gate agents for planes being delayed by mechanicals, fog, snow/de-icing, etc, as if the agent or the airline has any control over that shit. I've also seen the same directed at FAs once onboard, for the same kinds of reasons. It's like they want to go ahead and fly with a mechanical issue, in the fog, with ice on the plane's wings, etc, and can't possibly understand that shit does, in fact, happen.

Frankly even when it's some bullshit issue (looking at you AA) it's not as if the gate agent was the one who made the call, or set the strategy that got things to that point.  Now yea, if they are unpleasant or surly when you are asking questions etc then they suck.  But even then throwing a screaming fit isn't the way to go....that just makes it easier for them to be more unpleasant/surly and makes the screamer look like an ass.

Sometimes, being nasty is warranted. But it is best to do it in a quiet manner. Once, was flying AUS to LAX. I was in seat 1A and my dog was flying with me, but as cargo. We ended up delayed for over three hours due to a mechanical issue. Finally, they were making us deplane to go to another plane after all that time.

After hour 2 of sitting at the gate was over, I called the Platinum desk and asked them to rebook me in the AM. They had a 9 AM flight that had a seat in first, so they put me and Abby on that. After the first hour on the tarmac, they had unloaded Abby, so she was chilling in her Kennel where all the luggage came from (the head FA was keeping me updated as this was Abby's first flight).

As we declared to switch, I went to the gate agent and asked them to make sure my dog met me in luggage as I was on a flight in the AM. They proceeded to be a massive asshole, telling me I could not do that.. rather than argue, I dialed the Platinum desk and I said, "Here is the Platinum agent who would like a word with you."

My luggage and Abby met me in baggage. The luggage people allowed me to store both the kennel and my suitcase with them in a locker until I came back the next day. I took Abby and my carryon, rented a car, and went to my parents' house for the night.

• Like 4

Flew into AUS this morning and got lucky on the way in, with no one in the middle seat of the exit row.

As we’re deplaning, everyone in front of us has gone and people behind us are moving through as I gently ask the woman next to me if she intended to move today or continue to stare at her phone until we landed again in Oakland…

Jesus, people… pay attention!

What the fuck is wrong with people?  Flying is a PITA as it is.  Do you want to go through the hassle and not get to your destination because you got dragged off a plane for acting like a child?  Mental illness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What the fuck is wrong with people?  Flying is a PITA as it is.  Do you want to go through the hassle and not get to your destination because you got dragged off a plane for acting like a child?  Mental illness. 

Lots of mental illness going around these days.

I wonder if people like this just snapped or if they are shitty, entitled people who have gotten away with being a jackass so many times that they feels it’s their right and eventually cross the line and get dragged off a plane. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

I wonder if people like this just snapped or if they are shitty, entitled people who have gotten away with being a jackass so many times that they feels it’s their right and eventually cross the line and get dragged off a plane. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

At some point, math says that one of them will snap on another one of them and there will be significant bodily harm and whatnot

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Not to justify jackassedry but the past year and 1/2 have really, really fucked with a lot of people mentally.  I've been surprised by some people that I thought had their shit together losing it at the weirdest things.  But she could also just be a stupid, selfish bitch.

Coming back from Cancun in June ... couple in front of me were on the super exit aisle on the A321. My dumbass forgot (#blamerona) about that and booked the fake exit row behind them. I got upgraded and gave it wifey, so I'm in the middle seat in the fake exit row. This jackoff couple not only reclines all the way the second we take off but does not even nap - watches a movie like their in their fucking home media room recliner.

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'd never hit a woman But I'd shake the shit out of her, - George Strait 2  | Meme Generator

I know its CR's line but seeing KG quoted as saying it makes it all the more funny.

4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Coming back from Cancun in June ... couple in front of me were on the super exit aisle on the A321. My dumbass forgot (#blamerona) about that and booked the fake exit row behind them. I got upgraded and gave it wifey, so I'm in the middle seat in the fake exit row. This jackoff couple not only reclines all the way the second we take off but does not even nap - watches a movie like their in their fucking home media room recliner.

csb.  Go ahead and blog it.

Landed at AUS last night. Heading out of the terminal to get on our parking shuttle, each of us pulling a heavy rolling bag behind us. Get to the exit ramp to cross the road to get to the pickup, and there’s a large family that has decided to stop in the middle of the ramp and have a long conversation about where the need to go next, where to eat dinner, and who needs to change uncle Ted’s colostomy bag (I have no idea what they were talking about).

But I get to them, have to stop…and didn’t even pause before I said “you all need to move, you’re blocking the entire ramp for everyone.” Their eyes got wide and they GTF out of our way.

They were far from the first utterly clueless and self-absorbed travelers we encountered - lots of people stopping in the middle of busy walkways etc to contemplate the universe, check their phone, etc. Get the fuck over to the side, this is a walkway, not a standway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They were far from the first utterly clueless and self-absorbed travelers we encountered - lots of people stopping in the middle of busy walkways etc to contemplate the universe, check their phone, etc. Get the fuck over to the side, this is a walkway, not a standway.

My last flight from Belize I had a female sitting aisle that decided she was the movement controller. I was window and after we landed when everyone got up she stayed in her seat. Here I am 6'2" hunched under the carry on bin saying "Excuse me?" and she doesn't budge. I declare it in a more commanding fashion and she gets up but in tortoise mode. Then proceeds to slow walk down the middle of the jetway in front of half the plane. I gave her another "Excuse me" along with a shoulder check when I passed her passive aggressive ass up the ramp.

6 hours ago, RPM said:

My last flight from Belize I had a female sitting aisle that decided she was the movement controller. I was window and after we landed when everyone got up she stayed in her seat. Here I am 6'2" hunched under the carry on bin saying "Excuse me?" and she doesn't budge. I declare it in a more commanding fashion and she gets up but in tortoise mode. Then proceeds to slow walk down the middle of the jetway in front of half the plane. I gave her another "Excuse me" along with a shoulder check when I passed her passive aggressive ass up the ramp.

Shoulda' shived that bitch....

On 7/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Very rarely will I approach other people about their behavior but one thing I refuse to tolerate is the person who reclines the seat all the way then proceeds to lean forward for the whole flight.

To validate some of this group’s postulations, I had a chat in the back of my flight home from CA earlier this week with the steward…

Taco: So, wtf do you think is causing all this insanity… clearly there are a number of factors at play, but…

Steward: … it’s the prices. We we’re selling $25 tickets a few months back, and now you have people that wouldn’t know how to behave on a Greyhound flying transcons.

Taco: God help us all…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Did they divert?  What happened?

Fortunately we were still at the gate. The last passenger had boarded and I heard a commotion going on back in economy. 

A guy was yelling about being a hero and a good guy and the airlines were a Ponzi scheme. Flight attendants tried to calm him down and then he said there was a bomb onboard. 

Once he said that they had everyone get off the plane and 5 hours later we had a new metal and a new crew to take us to Boston. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Fortunately we were still at the gate. The last passenger had boarded and I heard a commotion going on back in economy. 

A guy was yelling about being a hero and a good guy and the airlines were a Ponzi scheme. Flight attendants tried to calm him down and then he said there was a bomb onboard. 

Once he said that they had everyone get off the plane and 5 hours later we had a new metal and a new crew to take us to Boston. 

Ah, so it was more like this.

95c6d5de-3f0e-443f-aa83-7d009446ae63_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

To validate some of this group’s postulations, I had a chat in the back of my flight home from CA earlier this week with the steward…

Taco: So, wtf do you think is causing all this insanity… clearly there are a number of factors at play, but…

Steward: … it’s the prices. We we’re selling $25 tickets a few months back, and now you have people that wouldn’t know how to behave on a Greyhound flying transcons.

Taco: God help us all…

The summer always brings out some riff-raff and a LOT more stupid infrequent fliers who either don't know what the fuck to do or just don't give a fuck.  For example, coming back from a wedding I was in PIT yesterday in the regular security line because while I have Pre-Check my wife doesn't fly all that often and doesn't have it and the line was short anyway.  Woman in front of me with two roller bags and a shoulder bag.  One of the roller bags was clearly much too big to be considered a carry on but she gets right to the point where she's ready to step up to the TSA agent and turns and asks me, "so this is where we check our bags right?"  "Uh nooooo you are going to have to take that escalator right there and go back to your airlines ticket and BAGGAGE CHECK desk for that."  She then proceeds to bump and bounce all her shit back through the snake line.  

But on the quoted line of thought every time I have been in DFW the last two weeks (also went to Mexico for a vacation) the terminals were filled with a LOT more riff-raff and a lot more dumbasses.  The bus station comment above sprang to my mind each time I was through there.

• Like 1

They're more a money laundering operation for credit cards/banks than a ponzi scheme.
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The summer always brings out some riff-raff and a LOT more stupid infrequent fliers who either don't know what the fuck to do or just don't give a fuck.

It's the cheap tickets airlines were selling 3-4 months combined with your standard once a year or so flyer combined with revenge travel and people generally being cooped up for a year and losing all matter of social skills.  

On 7/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, Telegraph_it said:

Travel officially sucks again. Airports are too crowded and my last 4 flights have all been delayed. I miss this… kind of. 

826AE5BA-0B28-4A96-BC11-5919483AAEE0.gif.ca715edd051a218c8f936aa1b041f58b.gif

3A5D9F26-745B-4CB7-8588-4A50E587FDEF.thumb.jpeg.8f57e0336e675f70c785cdc8a9a40e99.jpeg

4CC578A7-3D6A-4184-B055-328AD6F2A967.jpeg

We've flown 3 times since March.  2 of the 3 were international and both trips had at least 2 legs delayed.  Flights don't leave on time anymore and you should just hope it's less than an hour.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We've flown 3 times since March.  2 of the 3 were international and both trips had at least 2 legs delayed.  Flights don't leave on time anymore and you should just hope it's less than an hour.

In last two weeks I have gone to Mexico and Pittsburgh.  3 of the 4 flights were early on arrival (only flight back from Cancun airport was slightly delayed about 30 minutes)

Lucky I guess.

Also another bitch from a 6'6" man.  If I can sit still in my seat so can you....looking at you Mr Manlet in front of me on Sunday who kept readjusting himself in the seat by picking his whole body up and slamming it back down into his chair.  

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have always tried to make it a general practice to leave a buffer flight in the schedule just in case there is a delay.

Had a lady a few weeks ago sitting behind me who thought her tv in the back of my seat was a touchscreen.  She kept jabbing her finger at the screen and was convinced that someone else was changing her channels.  After 6 or 7 pokes to the back of my head, I nicely told her the controls for it were in her armrest and that it wasn't a touchscreen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I've flown twice, both domestic on Southwest, and each trip had one connecting flight to the destination and direct on the way back.  No delays, and no real issues except on the leg from Houston to Rosemary Beach an attendant had to explain all the legal consequences to a redass if he and his daughters didn't keep their masks on.  He reluctantly complied, and everyone around him was giving him the stink eye.

One more flight to go the first weekend in August to Seattle.  Hope the travel karma continues. 

14 flight segments since March on four different carriers.  2 international and two domestic trips.   The only ones delayed were  SWA,  SAT>DAL>LBB and back.  

I’d pay more for an airplane ticket that reduced my time on the ground in Lubbock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’d pay more for an airplane ticket that reduced my time on the ground in Lubbock

Luckily my business dealings in LBB are centered around the campus which isn't bad relatively.  Unfortunately this trip involved getting out of the campus area to a funeral and burial as a stark reminder of how much Lubbock sucks. 

28 minutes ago, midtown said:

Luckily my business dealings in LBB are centered around the campus which isn't bad relatively.  Unfortunately this trip involved getting out of the campus area to a funeral and burial as a stark reminder of how much Lubbock sucks. 

This is true.

The only thing that can make Lubbock tolerable is being dead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When my kids were little, occasionally there are weather or mechanical issues that force you on to a different flight and you get separated from your kids.  Usually the flight attendants will work with you to get together/close-ish.  Free drinks/upgrades, etc. 

Once, after a weather delay at DCA made us miss a connection in ATL, we were all together expect one of my sons, who was 7. So it didn’t rise to flight attendant intervention. I asked the guy in the aisle if he wanted to switch aisle seats with me so I could sit next to Boy 1. 

“Nope”

”No worries, here’s some goldfish.  He likes Batman:The animated series and Finding Nemo”. And I started pulling stuff out of my bag.  

He switched.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5