What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

he average cost of a home in that area is about $675,000, according to AustinRealEstate.com.  

Can someone hook me up with some of those average homes?  

Right?

I live in the area and I haven't seen a house sell for under a million since mid 2020. 

(of note, I bought ,y place in early 2020 and consider myself lucky). 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

My parents bought the house I grew up in there for like $200k in 1986. I hear tales of when Mesa was a dirt road back in the 50s 70s

FIFY.  Mesa was a dirt road from Spicewood Springs to near Tallwood until right around the time that Anderson High School was completed in 1973.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My parents bought the house I grew up in there for like $200k in 1986. I hear tales of when Mesa was a dirt road back in the 50s. 

I used to take dates parking along little cedar chopper road above the north side of the abandoned quarry where the apartments are by Wood Hollow - several years before David Barrow started developing Northwest Hills.

Far West and Mesa didn’t exist then, it was just scrub land with goats.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I used to take dates parking along little cedar chopper road above the north side of the abandoned quarry where the apartments are by Wood Hollow - several years before David Barrow started developing Northwest Hills.

David Barrow is still an active member of my church.  Great guy.  His wife, who passed away a few years ago, was a talented artist who was always so nice by my toddler daughter when we joined that church in 2009.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

David Barrow is still an active member of my church.  Great guy.  His wife, who passed away a few years ago, was a talented artist who was always so nice by my toddler daughter when we joined that church in 2009.

That's got to be David Barrow, Jr.  The original developer was David Barrow Sr., who passed away in 1972.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2018/06/27/life-flourishes-on-both-sides-of-northwest-hills-in-austin/9997730007/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's got to be David Barrow, Jr.  The original developer was David Barrow Sr., who passed away in 1972.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2018/06/27/life-flourishes-on-both-sides-of-northwest-hills-in-austin/9997730007/

Ah yes.  Maybe Sr. was the developer, and Jr. is the architect.  Jr. actually designed our current church campus.

This is one hell of a story. Blessed that it happened in Austin. Highlights below but you want to read the story.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-shooting-mickelson-drive-trezaratti/269-6cbfff9e-ec6e-4431-8d4e-59202c21ae2e

Man arrested, accused of killing stepdaughter's boyfriend in southeast Austin

According to an affidavit, Joshua Trezaratti allegedly shot Joshua Rivera after he said Rivera touched his wife inappropriately.

Trezaratti told his wife to lead Rivera to believe she would be in the house alone, even though that was untrue.

When Rivera arrived, he and Trezaratti's wife spent a few minutes on the front porch, where Rivera allegedly touched Trezaratti's wife inappropriately and made sexual advances toward her – which, the affidavit states, Trezaratti told police he was able to monitor through a camera mounted outside the house.

According to the affidavit, Rivera then asked Trezaratti's wife for a beer and she and Rivera went inside. At this point, Trezaratti told police that he was in the first floor office near the front door and had his shotgun with him. 

Once inside the home, the affidavit states that Rivera continued to make sexual advances toward Trezaratti's wife, which she rebuffed. Rivera allegedly expressed nervousness that he didn't feel welcome, so Trezaratti's wife encouraged him to go outside and smoke PCP to calm down.

Trezaratti told police he shot Rivera twice his his handgun as Rivera was attempting to open the bag. He said Rivera then "turned around and tried to run," at which point Trezaratti shot him two or three more times in the back. Rivera then laid or fell down and Trezaratti shot him "at least one or two more times," according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states that at various points in his interview with police, Trezaratti expressed anger and rage toward Rivera, stating that he wanted to torture him and that he shot Rivera multiple times because he wanted to make sure he was dead. Trezaratti also expressed a belief that the law allowed him to take the actions he did, saying that he was within his rights if he killed Rivera inside his home. 

This is the husband. With a face like that, I'm shocked that he would do such a thing.

Now I want to see pics of the wife.

1632849946490?e=2147483647%26v=beta%26t=

His mug shot. He don't seem remorseful at all. 

b5abf3ad-69cd-42d6-bdb5-387a74eaae2c_192

Edit: This motherfucker is crazy. His FB.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Joshua-Trezaratti/pfbid0yPDVYp6F5pDwFfu68Q7emB7L4SV8TNpZtLeW8VMDv6RHptmaxxv1CfaciAs7bSTLl/

image.thumb.png.19afc68c1a13948a8a5a341943bb3a28.png

Edited by crash_davis

Author: Britny Eubank
Published: 11:44 AM CDT October 31, 2023
Updated: 6:33 PM CDT October 31, 2023

AUSTIN, Texas — An employee of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) was killed in an incident while on-duty Tuesday morning.

The airport confirmed that the Department of Aviation requested emergency service personnel to respond to an incident involving an injured on-duty airport employee on Oct. 31. Austin-Travis County EMS (ATCEMS) said medics responded just before 9:30 a.m. to reports that a person had been struck by a vehicle, and the Austin Police Department (APD) also confirmed that officers responded to a call of a crash at the airport.

The employee was pronounced dead at the scene just after 10 a.m. after resuscitation efforts were made by medics.

"Our thoughts are with the deceased’s loved ones, friends, families and colleagues and we ask our community to keep them in their thoughts," the airport said in a statement.

AUS said the incident happened outside, on the secure side of the airport where planes park for passengers to board, near gates 33 and 34. Neither airport operations nor flights have been impacted.

APD said its investigation into this incident is ongoing and that the person's name or job title would not be released at this time.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) told KVUE that they could not comment on an open and ongoing investigation and that by law, OSHA has up to six months to complete it.

This is the second time this year that an airport or airline employee has died at AUS. Back in April, an American Airlines employee died at one of the airport's gates after a ground service vehicle hit a jet bridge.

There have also been three close call incidents involving aircraft at AUS so far this year.

Councilmember Alison Alter released the following statement following the employee's death:

"Deeply saddened by the news of a City of Austin Government employee who was killed in a fuel storage truck accident on the tarmac at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. My thoughts are with their family and coworkers. All city employees deserve a safe place to work."

On 10/31/2023 at 9:16 AM, ztejas said:

We had Notre Dame's (Austin High) and we all liked it. 

We had Kentucky's fight song, and frankly wouldn't have been able to tell you that in high school.   Wasn't until years later when someone posted a link to this that I discovered it was theirs.

Edited by PvilleStang

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/02/austin-minimum-parking-requirements-housing-shortage/

Austin on Thursday became the largest city in the country to stop requiring new developments to have a set amount of parking — a move aimed at both fighting climate change and spurring more housing construction amid the city’s affordability crisis.

The Austin City Council voted 8-2 Thursday to wipe out minimum parking requirements for virtually every kind of property citywide. That includes single-family homes, apartment buildings, offices and shopping malls.

Housing advocates, developers and climate activists across the country have increasingly targeted such rules. They say parking requirements — often referred to as “parking minimums” — drive up housing costs while enabling dependency on cars, a major source of carbon emissions.

“I think that it's hard for reasonable people to really defend those mandates anymore,” said Tony Jordan, co-founder of Parking Reform Network.

Getting rid of the requirements has its detractors. Neighborhood groups opposed to such reforms tend to worry that parking will spill over onto neighboring streets and clog traffic.

“Although I think that our existing parking requirements do need reform and there are many scenarios where I would relax or eliminate parking requirements, this universal elimination of requirements is a step beyond what I consider to be prudent,” said City Council Member Alison Alter, who voted against the measure. “I'm concerned that there will be unintended consequences in scenarios that create real problems for navigating areas where residential uses abut commercial uses, particularly in areas that have older, narrow streets.”

Getting rid of the requirements doesn’t mean the city is abolishing parking altogether, Qadri said. Developers still can decide how much parking they need, he said. And the city will still require properties to comply with federal law and build accessible parking spaces for people living with disabilities.

“If we truly want to achieve our progressive goals of making Austin a less car-dependent city, we cannot be forcing developers to provide car storage in every single new project that goes up in our city limits,” Qadri said.

Nixing parking minimums is one component of a multi-pronged effort to relax rules that many say get in the way of adding housing in a city where home prices and rents remain stubbornly high. Austin officials are also weighing proposals to allow up to three housing units in most places where single-family homes are allowed and reducing the required amount of land those homes have to sit upon.

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I'd like to say I'm amazed at the complete stupidity displayed by City Clowncil on this one, but it's par for the course.  It's like they want to find a way to burn it all down so they can build some bastardized version of a NYC utopia or something.  They completely put the cart in front of the horse here.  Build the public transportation infrastructure THEN loosen the parking requirements.  Building a dependency on mass transit before implementing it is only going to cause a cluster F. where these properties are built.

I mostly only visit places which have readily available parking. If I have to pay for parking, then the place better have some compelling reason for me to have to pay for parking. If it has no easy parking, I'm prob not spending money there. Good for them if they can survive without having parking lots.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I'd like to say I'm amazed at the complete stupidity displayed by City Clowncil on this one, but it's par for the course.  It's like they want to find a way to burn it all down so they can build some bastardized version of a NYC utopia or something.  They completely put the cart in front of the horse here.  Build the public transportation infrastructure THEN loosen the parking requirements.  Building a dependency on mass transit before implementing it is only going to cause a cluster F. where these properties are built.

Sigh.  This.

Austin spent decades re: transport infrastructure following the "if we don't build it, people won't come" mentality.  Which was foolish, and 100% wrong.

Now, Austin is acting re: transport infrastructure under the "if we don't build it/allow vehicles....mass transit will magically appear" delusion. Which is foolish, and 100% wrong.

Imagine building duplexes in my neighborhood with no parking.  My part of my neighborhood also has no easy bus access.  Hop across 360, it's even worse.  So, what will happen?  Duplexes....with 4 cars parked on the street in front of each of them.  Because YOU WILL STILL NEED A CAR.

Want to eliminate parking requirements?  First, try it with properties within a couple of blocks of a usable mass transit route (we really don't have that many of those; our bus system is terrible, but there are some locations where it would work).  Then, use that proof-of-concept to both expand and improve mass transit, and then change zoning for properties near NEW transit routes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/02/austin-minimum-parking-requirements-housing-shortage/

Austin on Thursday became the largest city in the country to stop requiring new developments to have a set amount of parking — a move aimed at both fighting climate change and spurring more housing construction amid the city’s affordability crisis.

The Austin City Council voted 8-2 Thursday to wipe out minimum parking requirements for virtually every kind of property citywide. That includes single-family homes, apartment buildings, offices and shopping malls.

Housing advocates, developers and climate activists across the country have increasingly targeted such rules. They say parking requirements — often referred to as “parking minimums” — drive up housing costs while enabling dependency on cars, a major source of carbon emissions.

“I think that it's hard for reasonable people to really defend those mandates anymore,” said Tony Jordan, co-founder of Parking Reform Network.

Getting rid of the requirements has its detractors. Neighborhood groups opposed to such reforms tend to worry that parking will spill over onto neighboring streets and clog traffic.

“Although I think that our existing parking requirements do need reform and there are many scenarios where I would relax or eliminate parking requirements, this universal elimination of requirements is a step beyond what I consider to be prudent,” said City Council Member Alison Alter, who voted against the measure. “I'm concerned that there will be unintended consequences in scenarios that create real problems for navigating areas where residential uses abut commercial uses, particularly in areas that have older, narrow streets.”

Getting rid of the requirements doesn’t mean the city is abolishing parking altogether, Qadri said. Developers still can decide how much parking they need, he said. And the city will still require properties to comply with federal law and build accessible parking spaces for people living with disabilities.

“If we truly want to achieve our progressive goals of making Austin a less car-dependent city, we cannot be forcing developers to provide car storage in every single new project that goes up in our city limits,” Qadri said.

Nixing parking minimums is one component of a multi-pronged effort to relax rules that many say get in the way of adding housing in a city where home prices and rents remain stubbornly high. Austin officials are also weighing proposals to allow up to three housing units in most places where single-family homes are allowed and reducing the required amount of land those homes have to sit upon.

love that Alter is really concerned about areas that have older narrower streets.  like exactly where she lives.

These people are a unadulterated clown show of epic proportions.  what a total shitshow of dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is the same city council that gets car allowances and reserved parking at city hall, correct?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

This is the same city council that gets car allowances and reserved parking at city hall, correct?

everyone will just use Uber to go everywhere because it is so cheap for poor peopled to do that.  fucking dumbasses think this stupid shit will "save the planet".

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

With all the huge condos on Rainey the past few years, I figured parking was already not required.  

Rainey is actually someplace that the concept is worth a shot.  Right on a pretty solid transport network.  Close to dense areas with lots of action that can be accessed by personal transport (bike, scooter, etc.).

98% of Austin is nothing like Rainey.

And no, you couldn't pay me to live in one of those condos.  I also understand that for those that do have parking, a space costs a fortune.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our city council, in case anyone isn't yet aware of this, simply follows trends started by trendier cities elsewhere.

Our neighborhood has Littlefield's Tacos, a family-friendly place with little parking that also happens to be very close to a Mopac exit.  It's on Winsted, which is used a Mopac bypass during traffic times.  Lots of kid's birthday parties on weekends.  The pitch for the place was that it would be a walkable neighborhood place to get some tacos.  The reality is that there are now often giant SUVs parked up and down Winsted with taco-crazy kids flying out of doors directly into the street.

It is an accident waiting to happen.  And I hope it never does, but I see close calls all the time.  Winstead is too narrow to support rows of SUVs on both sides of the street, with more SUVs driving down the middle, while kids run in the street in search of tacos.  Cars turn northbound onto the road having come right off of Mopac at highway speed, and suddenly they are in the middle of a bunch of parked cars with kids mixed in.

So yes I agree we need some parking reforms but I'm not in favor of the free-for-all approach.  I would rather Austin focus on building towers in the north/south transit corridors and try to provide as much as possible along the lines.  Most people would still have a car parked at their tower for around town or out of town trips, but at least they would be able to get through a lot of their day on transit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Our city council, in case anyone isn't yet aware of this, simply follows trends started by trendier cities elsewhere.

Our neighborhood has Littlefield's Tacos, a family-friendly place with little parking that also happens to be very close to a Mopac exit.  It's on Winsted, which is used a Mopac bypass during traffic times.  Lots of kid's birthday parties on weekends.  The pitch for the place was that it would be a walkable neighborhood place to get some tacos.  The reality is that there are now often giant SUVs parked up and down Winsted with taco-crazy kids flying out of doors directly into the street.

It is an accident waiting to happen.  And I hope it never does, but I see close calls all the time.  Winstead is too narrow to support rows of SUVs on both sides of the street, with more SUVs driving down the middle, while kids run in the street in search of tacos.  Cars turn northbound onto the road having come right off of Mopac at highway speed, and suddenly they are in the middle of a bunch of parked cars with kids mixed in.

So yes I agree we need some parking reforms but I'm not in favor of the free-for-all approach.  I would rather Austin focus on building towers in the north/south transit corridors and try to provide as much as possible along the lines.  Most people would still have a car parked at their tower for around town or out of town trips, but at least they would be able to get through a lot of their day on transit.

Solid humblebrag there Mr. Tarrytown Q. Moneybags. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Used to live right down the block from there. Was shocked when I saw that open, would have killed for that to walk to after crazy lady ruined the shopping center at windsor and exposition

• Hook 'Em 1

I might have to add this to the trivial things that piss me off, vehicle dependence.  Just because you build a property with parking, doesn't FORCE the future tenant to get a car to fill said spot.  But building a domicile without parking has now limited your future buyer / renter.  We want to build this futuristic reimagination of Austin that forces a dependence on a public infrastructure that does not exist.  

Next thing you know, this ditzy cat lady from Georgia (Jenna) is going to be building tent cities to get us off our dependency for housing.  How dare you entitled folks take up precious land with your brick and wood houses when you could be a good little sheeple and move into our tent city and participate in our drum circle while praying to the new statue of Adler.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

got em.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/road-rage-incident-justin-justice-teressa-ferguson-austin-texas

Man arrested for shooting, killing woman in North Austin road rage incident: APD

Austin police have arrested a man they say shot and killed 46-year-old Teressa Ferguson after a minor crash on Sept. 30. Ferguson, who went by Tressa, had been heading home from work.

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I wonder what Joni Mitchell would have to say about this?

9 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

I might have to add this to the trivial things that piss me off, vehicle dependence.  Just because you build a property with parking, doesn't FORCE the future tenant to get a car to fill said spot.  But building a domicile without parking has now limited your future buyer / renter.  We want to build this futuristic reimagination of Austin that forces a dependence on a public infrastructure that does not exist.  

Next thing you know, this ditzy cat lady from Georgia (Jenna) is going to be building tent cities to get us off our dependency for housing.  How dare you entitled folks take up precious land with your brick and wood houses when you could be a good little sheeple and move into our tent city and participate in our drum circle while praying to the new statue of Adler.

Naw man, we see that “real” mass transit in other major cities is struggling with ridership and they’re largely disgusting as fuck given our national homelessness and drug epidemic and we ask where we can sign up!

• Haha 2