What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

All this machete swinging dude probably needed was a warm place to sleep. 

If I'm an hispanic man, no way in hell am I attacking a 19 year old white male wielding a machete. That's one step away from a white boy with an AR 15.

• Hook 'Em 1

So homeless guy is the attacker from what I'm gathering?

Man, there is a sharp demarcation in Austin's history -- pre homeless camping rules and post homeless camping rules. Even with it repealed, the damage was done. Was talking to an officer the other day on the homeless task force who was saying that word spread and lots of homeless came here from other places.

Between the trash, attacks, drug use, and murders, it's just madness... and I'm someone that donates to the orgs around town to help with the issue. 

I don't have a problem with homeless people. I have a problem with anyone who can't observe basic societal norms. If it's due to mental health issues beyond their control, that's a societal failing (we need to address these people's issues and manage their behavior more proactively and effectively). If it's because they refuse to control things that are within their control, that's a personal failing for which they should be arrested and kept out of civil society.

I get that being a fuck up correlates strongly with homelessness, but simply scattering their campsites is not really going to fix anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

Question for yall for record keeping purposes: In that game room shooting that left two people dead, security guard #1 was shot by a customer and killed. Security guard #2 shot the customer in response. No charges will be filed on the security guard. Yet, this officially counts as two homicides. 

Should this count as two or one?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know if there is an Austin airport thread, so I'm putting this here.  

ABIA "weather watchers" are (a) stuck in a room without windows and (b) without internet access.

Jesus, Austin.

Weather?

This is the type of shit you get when your city government runs the airport, the water supply, the power supply . . .    

There is nothing like ensuring the basic needs for day-to-day existence are being managed by folks incapable of being hired for a real job.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

This is the type of shit you get when your city government runs the airport, the water supply, the power supply . . .    

There is nothing like ensuring the basic needs for day-to-day existence are being managed by folks incapable of being hired for a real job.

It’s how serial murderers stay off the grid. Or so I’ve read…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Question for yall for record keeping purposes: In that game room shooting that left two people dead, security guard #1 was shot by a customer and killed. Security guard #2 shot the customer in response. No charges will be filed on the security guard. Yet, this officially counts as two homicides. 

Should this count as two or one?

From the interwebz:

Homicide is a manner of death, when one person causes the death of another. Not all homicide is murder, as some deaths caused by another person are manslaughter, and some are lawful; such as when justified by an affirmative defense, like insanity or self-defense.

Posted (edited)

More info on the machete attack. Watch our fuckhead DA release this asshole back on the streets.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/1-person-taken-to-hospital-after-reported-stabbing-near-auditorium-shores/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A machete attack reported Tuesday morning near Auditorium Shores was a “random and unprovoked attack” on a teenager, law enforcement sources told KXAN.

A person is in custody and the teenager is in the hospital after the attack, the Austin Police Department said.

Paramedics rushed one person, later identified as the teenager by law enforcement sources, to the hospital with serious, potentially life-threatening injuries, according to Austin-Travis County EMS.

APD and ATCEMS told KXAN that medics responded at about 10 a.m. to the 100 block of South First Street, which is near the trail on the south side of Lady Bird Lake.

‘There was a lot of blood’

Justin Graber was pulling up to the area after the attack happened. Graber saw the person’s injuries.

“There was a lot of blood,” Graber said. “Lacerations to the forearm, behind the ear, lower body to an extent.”

Graber said after attacking the first victim, the suspect approached another person.

Nathan Kurten said that was him.

“I yelled, ‘I’m calling 911.’ You know, ‘Give it up,'” Kurten said. “Then at that point, he stopped but he started chasing me.”

Kurten said eventually the attacker stopped following him and went back on the trail path.

“I was still on the phone with the police, you know, trying to direct them to where he might be,” Kurten said.

Once police arrived, Kurten said they arrested the suspect and asked Kurten to identify him.

“I want to make sure they caught him because I didn’t want him out on the streets,” Kurten said.

Kurten said people he spoke with in the area said the suspect threw the machete into the river.

He said police mentioned they’d send a dive team to look for the weapon.

From Reddit:

I came upon the attacker while walking my dog. He was standing over the victim beating him. I yelled I was calling 911. He stopped hacking at the victim and started chasing me with the machete! I was on the phone with 911 as he chased me and my dog. It was surreal. The operator said the cops were 2 minutes away and I was like "please hurry a maniac is chasing me!" He chased me across the park from the gazebo to the off leash area then he thankfully gave up and started walking along the hiking trail. I followed behind keeping an eye on him until he crossed the pedestrian bridge which is when the cops arrived and got him. Whew. Adrenaline.

talked with first hand witness who helped with a tourniquet. he used his own shirt to help the victim and he said he looked like he'd survive. bloody scene he said. he was in shock. i was just riding into work and couldn't go past the yellow tape and i asked this guy sitting there what happened. i saw a handful of cop cars and suvs, maybe 10 and even someone who was seemingly voluntarily getting into the backseat of a patrol car, maybe a witness (not in handcuffs).

shout out to the guy who i talked to who gave me all this info and gave his shirt to the victim as a tourniquet. he also was talking to 911 when someone was screaming and handed him a phone with 911 on it.

my story is written weirdly i know, but i'm still shook from that

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

My seven year old and I do the 5 mile loop every Saturday morning (I run, he bikes).  I guess now I get to encourage him with "you better ride faster or Machete Man will get you" when he struggles up the hills. 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Maybe it's time to arm yourself if you walk in that area regularly.  Machete seems appropriate. 

Seriously, I feel like Tommy Lee Jones as Sheriff Bell.

With as many people carrying as I assume there are, and as aggressive as the homeless are downtown, I'm really amazed that we don't have more dead homeless people than we do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

My seven year old and I do the 5 mile loop every Saturday morning (I run, he bikes).  I guess now I get to encourage him with "you better ride faster or Machete Man will get you" when he struggles up the hills. 

Man I remember that former aggy football player back in 2015 in Dallas. He had schizophrenia i think.  he ran down some poor jogger on a trail with a machete. The eye witness accounts of that were something out of a horror movie. One witness said he hacked away at the victim (who died obviously) like firewood. 

Geez. Why did I have to remember that? Should not have gone looking for the news articles. Damnit. Sweet dreams. Nightmare fuel. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Man I remember that former aggy football player back in 2015 in Dallas. He had schizophrenia i think.  he ran down some poor jogger on a trail with a machete. The eye witness accounts of that were something out of a horror movie. One witness said he hacked away at the victim (who died obviously) like firewood. 

Geez. Why did I have to remember that? Should not have gone looking for the news articles. Damnit. Sweet dreams. Nightmare fuel. 

Thomas Johnson. He flipped from us iirc. I believe the spouse committed suicide not long after, as well. Really tragic story. 

• Rage+1 2

41 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

With as many people carrying as I assume there are, and as aggressive as the homeless are downtown, I'm really amazed that we don't have more dead homeless people than we do.

Because if we shoot in self defense a homeless dickhead, the DA may still prosecute. We will prob get off, but we'll still spend ten's of thousands paying lawyers to keep us from jail. But the DA will let the homeless go through the judicial system's revolving door. 

I'd be surprised as fuck if this machete swinging nutjob sees any jail time. But his victim is going to spend $1000s, probably 10s of thousands in medical bills and rehab, and may have lifetime physical issues added to the mental stress.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

12 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Because if we shoot in self defense a homeless dickhead, the DA may still prosecute. We will prob get off, but we'll still spend ten's of thousands paying lawyers to keep us from jail. But the DA will let the homeless go through the judicial system's revolving door. 

I'd be surprised as fuck if this machete swinging nutjob sees any jail time. But his victim is going to spend $1000s, probably 10s of thousands in medical bills and rehab, and may have lifetime physical issues added to the mental stress.

I mean, if I'm going to spend $10,000+ either way, I'd prefer lawyer bills rather than medical bills.  Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Edited by PvilleStang
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What is the DA election status? It's coming up this year, right? Does he have an opponent? 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-district-attorney-running-against-da-jose-garza/

Jeremy Sylestine is running against him.  I've seen Adam Loewy give him a few endorsements / shout-outs, but don't know much else about the guy, other than he's not Garza.

5 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-district-attorney-running-against-da-jose-garza/

Jeremy Sylestine is running against him.  I've seen Adam Loewy give him a few endorsements / shout-outs, but don't know much else about the guy, other than he's not Garza.

That's all I really need to know.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Is it true that it only takes 2mg of Fentanyl to kill somebody?  So like a 1"x1"x1" cube of fentanyl could easily kill hundreds of people?  

If you're talking about thinning the homeless herd, you need something stronger than fentanyl. They'll eat that shit like Tic Tacs.

• Hook 'Em 1

No, even I'm not that demented.  I was thinking about how like one zip-loc baggie of fentanyl can kill dozens, if not hundreds of people.  Like you could just pass it through the slats in the border wall, you don't even need a drug mule to carry it over.  Just passing a small envelope to a legal resident and wipe out a small town with it.  

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No, even I'm not that demented.  I was thinking about how like one zip-loc baggie of fentanyl can kill dozens, if not hundreds of people.  Like you could just pass it through the slats in the border wall, you don't even need a drug mule to carry it over.  Just passing a small envelope to a legal resident and wipe out a small town with it.  

What small town are we talking about?

Maybe we need a "What the fuck is wrong with you Wilco" thread, but former Travis County Assistant District Attorney and Williamson County District Judge Burt Carnes was shot dead in his home outside of Georgetown -- along with his wife -- by his son, who confessed to law enforcement.

According to the WCSO, Seth Carnes encountered deputies when he was leaving the home and confessed he had just shot and killed his mother and father. All three family members lived at the home, deputies said.

According to an affidavit obtained by KVUE, Seth Carnes told investigators he didn't know what happened, but he knew he had shot his mother and father and that he used a Remington 870 shotgun that was next to his nightstand. He also allegedly said he believed his mother was trying to put a sleeping pill in his mouth that he did not want to take.

Seth Carnes also allegedly told investigators the reason he shot his father was because, "I've just been looking for something and figured I would finish the job."

Sounds like mental illness and/or drug use going on.

I appeared before Judge Carnes a few times before he left the bench in 2013.  He always seemed kinda pissy to me, and as a career criminal lawyer didn't appear to like handling civil matters too much.  But I'm still sad for his passing and what looks like a bad family situation.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe we need a "What the fuck is wrong with you Wilco" thread, but former Travis County Assistant District Attorney and Williamson County District Judge Burt Carnes was shot dead in his home outside of Georgetown -- along with his wife -- by his son, who confessed to law enforcement.

Sounds like mental illness and/or drug use going on.

I appeared before Judge Carnes a few times before he left the bench in 2013.  He always seemed kinda pissy to me, and as a career criminal lawyer didn't appear to like handling civil matters too much.  But I'm still sad for his passing and what looks like a bad family situation.

Well, Wilco is turning blue. 😉

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

I mean, how freaking stupid can one councilmember be?!  Tone deaf dumb ass, given the Machete had it's live performance on the Town Lake trail not 24 hours prior.

Jesus. It's simple. People want to feel that the city is safe and clean.

My "in" platform would be:

• More beds for homeless
  • Stricter enforcement of camping ban that overwhelmingly passed
  • Push for more enforcement on "quality of life" crimes like car break-ins
  • More public litter pick up

Don't post about how you're encouraging people to take a walk on the Hike & Bike trail when less than 24 hours prior to that, some kid almost lost his arm to a machete attack.  Also, this happened IN YOUR DISTRICT.

It's about the same as encouraging people to go grab a froyo the day after the yogurt shop murders.

• Haha 1

Updated story. Machete swinging maniacs name is Ashton Kaine Talley. Anyway to find out how many times this dude has been "processed" through the system? Wish the cops would've just shot this motherfucker. One less asshole for us in Austin to have to worry about.

Saw an article on the victim. Looked like a nice 19 yr old dude from Louisiana going to school at ACC. What a fucked up situation.

https://www.kvue.com/article/weather/winter-storm/austin-weather-freeze-ice-winter-storm-2021/269-820f33e6-4913-4103-a268-10b0fb7b2783

Austin police say 24-year-old Ashton Kaine Talley was arrested and charged following the alleged attack. Records show Talley faces two charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon along with one count of evading arrest. Talley remains in the Travis County Jail without bond.

Meanwhile, police say the victim, Seth Gott, is in an unknown condition but is stable.

"The victim was on the ground and he was actually crawling on all fours, and the guy was striking him. And then, you know, he kind of rolled over on his back and he was still striking him, and he just didn't look like he was going to stop," Kurten said.

An affidavit obtained by KVUE stated that the victim, Seth Gott, had more than a dozen cuts all over his body, including a large cut across his back, an almost complete amputation of his left hand, multiple cuts on fingers of his right hand and a large cut across his jaw near one of his ears.

A witness told police there was no interaction between Gott and Talley. According to the affidavit, the witness said Gott "walked by Talley, Talley stood up, pulled out a machete and just started 'hacking'" Gott. Gott attempted to get away, but Talley chased after him, according to the witness. Gott then fell to the ground, and Talley allegedly continued to strike him with the machete. The witness said Talley then began chasing other people and attempted to attack them as well.

According to the affidavit, multiple witnesses told police that Talley had fled over the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge. Officers ran across the bridge and eventually caught up with Talley, yelling at him to stop running. Initially, Talley continued running toward the intersection of West Cesar Chavez Street and Walter Seaholm Drive, but he eventually stopped, complied with the officers' commands and was arrested. The affidavit states that Talley had blood on his face, hands and clothes but had no injuries.

When an APD officer interviewed Talley after his arrest, the affidavit states that Talley was "slow to respond to questions, seemed overly confused and was having difficulty concentrating on his responses." He could only say that someone had ran into him and that the blood on his body was from the man who ran into him. The affidavit states that Talley was "showing to not have any emotion and appeared to be having a mental health issue or had used some form of narcotic," though Talley told the police neither was true.

The affidavit states that an APD officer interviewed Gott, who said he believed Talley had ran into him really hard, causing Talley to fall to the ground. Gott said when Talley got up and turned around, Gott realized Talley had a machete.

Gott told police that Talley swung the machete at him more than 10 times and that while doing so, Talley said nothing and had a blank expression on his face

Not to be internet tough guy or blame the victim, but you'd have to completely surprise me to be able to cut my hand off w/ a machete.  The victim is 19, so maybe he's not real aware of surroundings, but how do you not stay away from a guy w/ a machete?

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Updated story. Machete swinging maniacs name is Ashton Kaine Talley. Anyway to find out how many times this dude has been "processed" through the system? Wish the cops would've just shot this motherfucker. One less asshole for us in Austin to have to worry about.

Seems to be his first run-in with APD:

image.thumb.png.86afe9d72d2a53b9bd4e1d8a87692e7f.png

1st is evading arrest.  Second is agg assult with a deadly weapon.  Third is agg assult with bodily injury.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Not to be internet tough guy or blame the victim, but you'd have to completely surprise me to be able to cut my hand off w/ a machete.  The victim is 19, so maybe he's not real aware of surroundings, but how do you not stay away from a guy w/ a machete?

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/lucky-19-year-old-attacked-by-man-with-machete-at-auditorium-shores-talks-from-hospital/

— Gregory Seth Gott says he was on a nice walk Tuesday morning at Auditorium Shores when he felt someone bump into him from behind. When he turned around, he realized the man had a machete.

He didn’t know the man, and figured he had been confused for someone else. But the man continued his attack.

“I reach my hand out and it cuts deep into my hand. And that’s when it got pretty scary. I tried to turn and run,” Gott walked KXAN through the attack from his hospital bed.

Austin Police name suspect in Auditorium Shores machete attack

The Austin Police Department arrested Ashton Kaine Talley, 24, in connection with the attack. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of evading arrest, APD officials said in a release Wednesday.

The 19-year-old college student says at one point he lost his balance and fell. Gott said the man continued to attack him, which resulted in severe injuries to his hands and arms, as Gott tried to shield himself.

“I could barely move. I felt so like… everything got dizzy and blurry,” he said. “And he gets up, and he’s over me, and he just keeps swinging. So I’m just kind of rolling around on the ground trying not to get hit the best I can. But at this point, my hands were… they looked like they were like falling off my arms. So there wasn’t much I could do.”

That’s where bystanders stepped in. Gott says a man started to yell at Talley, which caused him to walk away. KXAN talked to that man, Nathan Kurten, on Tuesday.

“I yelled, ‘I’m calling 911.’ You know, ‘Give it up,’” Kurten said. “Then at that point, he stopped but he started chasing me.”

Gott says with Talley moving away from him, others jumped in to apply pressure and keep him calm until first responders could arrive. Gott insinuated those bystanders may have helped save his life.

Affidavit: ‘Good Samaritans’ help Austin machete victim before police arrive

“Even when he had walked away to chase the other man and I was laying there on the ground, there was just so much blood everywhere, I was pretty confident that I was not going to survive,” Gott said. “But the people around came to me and tied up my wounds. And they, you know, walked me, talked me through it as the ambulance was coming.”

Gott says he has surgery Friday that will determine the extent of the damage in his arms and hands. At a minimum, he won’t be able to use them for the next few months. He also has a skull fracture and injuries to his legs and back, he told us.

Even still, Gott said he felt lucky with the extent of his injuries and the amount of support he’s received from friends, his family and the community.

Machete attack near Auditorium Shores ‘random and unprovoked,’ sources say

“I think it’s important to show that even when there is a person who is capable of so much so much evil, that there are hundreds more good people,” Gott said.

A GoFundMe has been created for Gott, which KXAN has verified. It has nearly reached its $10,000 goal as of mid-day Thursday.

“Despite it being a really difficult and scary situation, for me it’s also very hopeful. It’s almost pretty in a way, just how much support and help and love have gotten from so many different people,” Gott said.

• Rage+1 1