Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Were you scoping out the babeage?

There were a couple tall drinks of water from the nursing school with just the right amount of cray crazy in their eyes that definitely lent one to wondering more about their bedside manners. But a lot of meh seemed to be the theme of the day.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

In Fort Worth for nephew's graduation from TCU last night. While sitting through those 3 hours of fucking bullshit I couldn't help but laugh at the 4 or 5 dorks who flashed Horns down while crossing the stage after getting their diploma. Biggest achievement in your life to date and that's what you do? Not even the little horn groggy sign? Sad.

On the other hand, after seeing the easy 4:1 ratio of female/male in the ceremony, I can't imagine how inept a guy would have to be to not get laid there. This was Fine Arts/Engineering/Education/Nursing schools.

Condolences about the nephew.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joel-klatt-show-a-college-football-podcast/id1037085984?i=1000656122662

Klatt has a great podcast. In this o e, he talks about how the Big Noon schedule develops. A lot of B1G talk, no Big XII talk, until he gets to chatting about Fox Friday night games (which he and Gus don’t do). He says there will be B1G and Big XII games on Friday nights. Does the Big XII schedule reflect their Friday night games yet?

16 hours ago, statsman said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joel-klatt-show-a-college-football-podcast/id1037085984?i=1000656122662

Klatt has a great podcast. In this o e, he talks about how the Big Noon schedule develops. A lot of B1G talk, no Big XII talk, until he gets to chatting about Fox Friday night games (which he and Gus don’t do). He says there will be B1G and Big XII games on Friday nights. Does the Big XII schedule reflect their Friday night games yet?

I think FOX gives FS1 one last chance with Big Ten and Big 12 Friday night games. If they don’t work they’ll just fold it and put everything not on FOX on the app. 

Big 12 teams including Tech and Coug High got abhorrent ratings on FS1 last year. I’m sure ESPN was closely watching that, and considering cost cutting measures. I wouldn’t be surprised if one Big 12 game a week was on ESPN and the rest gets dumped on ESPN+. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I can't even bring myself to care about that conference or their teams now that we're gone. It might as well be the UFL. 

Not true.  There's still a few teams I'll cheer on to what can only hope is a 0-11 season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Only 2 Big 12 Friday night games and one is on Black Friday.

Yeah. I really expected to see a mix of shit B1G games (Purdue vs. Rutgers for example), but the worst one looks like Northwestern at Maryland. Most of the B1G games have at least one tier 1 or two tier 2 teams. I guess Fox really wants this to work. 

Edited by statsman

We can shit on these Big Ten games all we want, but when two big land grant schools play each other they’re going to get a respectable number. They’ve been playing football for 120+ years, and have hundreds of thousands of living alumni. 

This is what FOX is paying for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We can shit on these Big Ten games all we want, but when two big land grant schools play each other they’re going to get a respectable number. They’ve been playing football for 120+ years, and have hundreds of thousands of living alumni. 

This is what FOX is paying for. 

Well, if you call Iowa and Wisconsin and most of the rest of the b1g in the winter living . . .

I shouldn't pick on Wisconsin. Summers in Wisconsin are glorious. Last year it was Wednesday. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Bowlsby made 17.2 million dollars in his last year as Big-12 commissioner.

LO Fuckin' L.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40205947/big-12-paid-ex-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-172m-final-year

I hope he lost it all betting against Texas this year and is living in a homeless camp alongside Ray Pugh in south Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2024 at 3:11 PM, mdmost said:

Only 2 Big 12 Friday night games and one is on Black Friday.

ESPN has a lot more of the B12's games now, so I'd expect you'd see them swapping with the ACC on Thurs/Fri nights there and then taking over the after dark slot on Saturday.   Fox will mostly be about 4-6 Big Fox saturday games a year and probably a weekly FS1.   Everything else on Fox will be Big Ten.

Is Utah even officially in the Big 12 yet? Already wanting out and think the ACC is a better spot because nothing says Atlantic Coast like Salt Lake City...

Sounds like the neighborhood kid that wants to take his ball and go home, as the game/day isn’t fitting his expectations.

Hook’em!!!

4 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Is Utah even officially in the Big 12 yet? Already wanting out and think the ACC is a better spot because nothing says Atlantic Coast like Salt Lake City...

This would be almost as stupid as going down with the P12 ship. Oh wait... 

10 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Yankee sportswriters should be ignored on all things college football. Nobody gives a shit about college football north of Pennsylvania. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yankee sportswriters should be ignored on all things college football. Nobody gives a shit about college football north of Pennsylvania. 

I’m pretty sure Michigan, Wisconsin, and NDSU are north of Pennsylvania 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I should have specified. No body gives a shit about college football north of Pennsylvania in the Northeast. 

Actually think you’ve narrowed it too much. There is an invisible line from Pitt, WVU, and Virginia Tech where if you are East of it then you don’t truly give a shit about college football. The ONLY exception to this rule is Pedo State.

That list includes: UVA, Maryland, Navy, Temple, Rutgers, Army, Buffalo, Syracuse, UConn, UMass, and Boston College.

Yeah I don’t believe that for a second. Their fans appear to think of themselves as the Notre Dame of Deseret, but that’s just their own delusion. It also makes no sense, once FSU/Clemson and maybe UNC/UVA bail, they’ll be traveling more and making less money for weaker competition. That guy must be Greg Swaim with less cancer.

This Utah thing got me thinking about why fans of schools that are currently in the Big 12 want to be in the Big 10 or SEC.  The reasons admins want to be in those leagues are obvious.  But for the sake of this exercise, assume that the SEC and Big 10 aren't leaving the rest of college sports, and the Big 12 (or whatever exists outside of those leagues) will have a seat in the playoffs, I don't understand why fans of non-blue bloods would want a schedule that gives them a ceiling of 7 to 8 wins and almost no shot at ever making the playoff vs a schedule that gives them regular chances at double digit wins and making the playoffs.  I understand why blue bloods want to play other blue bloods and why they need access to the most possible resources to stay competitive with their peers.  And of course if the Big 12 was going to be shut out of the playoffs, you wouldn't want to be there.

Utah is not a peer of Texas or Ohio State.  Their desire to be mediocre but sit in a wealthier tree fort is very strange to me from a fan perspective.  If ISU got to go to the SEC or Big 10, I'd honestly be pretty bummed.  Yeah, we'd be cashing bigger checks, but the chances of us being any better than 6-6 at our absolute best would be minute, and we'd only have one or two historic opponents every year.  Bragging about being in the club has an extremely limited shelf life to my fanhood.  I fully understand and accept that we aren't the same as a blue blood, and being in their conference wouldn't change that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Utah and their overinflated sense of self-worth makes them a perfect fit with the remainder of the Big 12. 

In reading these various threads and similar content elsewhere, I’ve developed real disdain for Utah as a random CFB fan. I look forward to rooting against them and seeing the looks of disbelief on their fat faces when someone shows up and plays just as tough as they do. It’s all they have. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In reading these various threads and similar content elsewhere, I’ve developed real disdain for Utah as a random CFB fan. I look forward to rooting against them and seeing the looks of disbelief on their fat faces when someone shows up and plays just as tough as they do. It’s all they have. 

Their fanbase is universally hated on Twitter/social media. They're somehow like Aggie mixed with Tennessee.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t think the New York Post guy is way off. Utah bitching about losing their affiliation with Stanford and Cal is very on brand. 

But it’s just bitching. 

That we don’t have to deal with. \m/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This Utah thing got me thinking about why fans of schools that are currently in the Big 12 want to be in the Big 10 or SEC.  The reasons admins want to be in those leagues are obvious.  But for the sake of this exercise, assume that the SEC and Big 10 aren't leaving the rest of college sports, and the Big 12 (or whatever exists outside of those leagues) will have a seat in the playoffs, I don't understand why fans of non-blue bloods would want a schedule that gives them a ceiling of 7 to 8 wins and almost no shot at ever making the playoff vs a schedule that gives them regular chances at double digit wins and making the playoffs.  I understand why blue bloods want to play other blue bloods and why they need access to the most possible resources to stay competitive with their peers.  And of course if the Big 12 was going to be shut out of the playoffs, you wouldn't want to be there.

Utah is not a peer of Texas or Ohio State.  Their desire to be mediocre but sit in a wealthier tree fort is very strange to me from a fan perspective.  If ISU got to go to the SEC or Big 10, I'd honestly be pretty bummed.  Yeah, we'd be cashing bigger checks, but the chances of us being any better than 6-6 at our absolute best would be minute, and we'd only have one or two historic opponents every year.  Bragging about being in the club has an extremely limited shelf life to my fanhood.  I fully understand and accept that we aren't the same as a blue blood, and being in their conference wouldn't change that. 

In theory, one could make the argument that the bigger payouts and national exposure could lead to an overall rise in competitiveness and program profile. You could also make an argument that they might start getting a higher level of talent in the program. But one just needs to look at the agricultural and mechanical institute of Texas to see that those things don’t really hold water for every program in the long term.

Plus, their misplaced arrogance on the academic side is truly one of the weirder things I have seen. I am sure it is also eating them alive to be in the same conference as BYU, who is actually a more relevant brand nationally than they are.

Edited by Vertigo

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

In theory, one could make the argument that the bigger payouts and national exposure could lead to an overall rise in competitiveness and program profile. You could also make an argument that they might start getting a higher level of talent in the program. But one just needs to look at the agricultural and mechanical institute of Texas to see that those things don’t really hold water for every program in the long term.

Plus, their misplaced arrogance on the academic side is truly one of the weirder things I have seen. I am sure it is also eating them alive to be in the same conference as BYU, who is actually a more relevant brand nationally than they are.

Exactly.  The programs with history and inherent geographic advantages are always going to be ahead of a school like Utah, or any current Big 12 school if you put it into that environment.  They would get buried and forgotten about quickly in those leagues, and the advantages that come with it aren't really going to end up tangibly effecting the fans.

I think your last sentence is spot on.  

I had a very realistic dream last night that aggy and the Texas Big12 schools lobbied the  state leg to put “salary caps” on player comp because if they can’t compete they wanted to make sure we couldn’t either.  Was hard to believe that it didn’t happen for the first 30 minutes I was awake. 

14 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I had a very realistic dream last night that aggy and the Texas Big12 schools lobbied the  state leg to put “salary caps” on player comp because if they can’t compete they wanted to make sure we couldn’t either.  Was hard to believe that it didn’t happen for the first 30 minutes I was awake. 

Man, so many better things to dream about than the second-tier programs of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Same dream aggy has every night. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

it makes a LOT more sense when you realize those are basically Utah Jazz fans.

• Haha 1