Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I rarely watch the NFL, after all this shit goes down, I'll likely watch Texas games and that's about it.  CFB as I've known it my whole life is fading away fast.  Oh well, will wait and see how it shakes out but when you are making all these moves solely based on money...it won't end well. 

Colorado vs. Cal will still be on the pac12 network starting at 11 PM central bro don't choose not to watch just because the good teams went to a better league. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

The Pac 12 for some reason had their game in Las Vegas.  Oregon vs Utah.  Long fucking drive for both teams.  The ACC was in Charlotte and featured something called "Wake Forest" which has the smallest enrollment of any P5 school.  Meanwhile Pitt is 7 hours away.

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah no one tunes into the NFL because it has two conferences.

Conferences made little to nothing in the NFL. Evidently the NCAA would like the same thing to happen to their product

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The Pac 12 for some reason had their game in Las Vegas.  Oregon vs Utah.  Long fucking drive for both teams.  The ACC was in Charlotte and featured something called "Wake Forest" which has the smallest enrollment of any P5 school.  Meanwhile Pitt is 7 hours away.

So if anything, the PAC game being in Vegas should have driven UP the viewership, since fewer could attend in person. 

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I rarely watch the NFL, after all this shit goes down, I'll likely watch Texas games and that's about it.  CFB as I've known it my whole life is fading away fast.  Oh well, will wait and see how it shakes out but when you are making all these moves solely based on money...it won't end well. 

Disagree on this one. When you can get weekly matchups between the biggest brands in the sport, you will watch it. Hell I hated the SEC when the B12 was in contention for the top conference during the 2000s, but I would still watch Bama/LSU, Florida/Bama, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

They're talking TV ratings.

It's sad, for old-timers, to watch college football die.  But let's be honest, it's been dead for a while.  ESPN spotting an opportunity to milk mouth breathing SEC fans, and making the moves they did to turn the SEC myth into reality, was the nail in the coffin, but it was only the final nail. 

Money corrupts and there is nothing new under the sun.  It was a fun ride while it lasted, but college football is little more than watered down NFL at this point, and the only thing keeping people tuned in is brand loyalty.  The unintended consequence of professionalizing amateur sports by actors like ESPN is the erosion of brand loyalty.  Couple that with college students not giving a rip, relative to past generations, and college football is already at the point of squeezing out its last golden egg or two before the slaughter.

What's left will still be entertaining for the same t-shirt SEC type fan, but will always be a lesser version of the NFL.   T-shirt fans will eventually just migrate to the NFL when the only difference is the quality of play on the field.  It won't be a bad thing, but it will never be as good as it was.  The options for entertainment are too vast now, and football at all levels has already begun its downward slide in popularity.  The more interesting aspect of all this is how it will impact all collegiate sports a few decades from now when football isn't able to prop up Olympic sports and women's sports in general.  Fewer and fewer schools will even have football programs in the not so distant future.  Few athletic departments operate in the black as it is.  Once you fully convert college football from a community and brand building element of a university into a solely money generating endeavor, you've rendered the vast majority of football programs pointless.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

It's sad, for old-timers, to watch college football die.  But let's be honest, it's been dead for a while.  ESPN spotting an opportunity to milk mouth breathing SEC fans, and making the moves they did to turn the SEC myth into reality, was the nail in the coffin, but it was only the final nail. 

Money corrupts and there is nothing new under the sun.  It was a fun ride while it lasted, but college football is little more than watered down NFL at this point, and the only thing keeping people tuned in is brand loyalty.  The unintended consequence of professionalizing amateur sports by actors like ESPN is the erosion of brand loyalty.  Couple that with college students not giving a rip, relative to past generations, and college football is already at the point of squeezing out its last golden egg or two before the slaughter.

What's left will still be entertaining for the same t-shirt SEC type fan, but will always be a lesser version of the NFL.   T-shirt fans will eventually just migrate to the NFL when the only difference is the quality of play on the field.  It won't be a bad thing, but it will never be as good as it was.  The options for entertainment are too vast now, and football at all levels has already begun its downward slide in popularity.  The more interesting aspect of all this is how it will impact all collegiate sports a few decades from now when football isn't able to prop up Olympic sports and women's sports in general.  Fewer and fewer schools will even have football programs in the not so distant future.  Few athletic departments operate in the black as it is.  Once you fully convert college football from a community and brand building element of a university into a solely money generating endeavor, you've rendered the vast majority of football programs pointless.

On a related front, it's seemed to me for a long time that college football's obsession with merging brands into one spot has been some misguided attempt to court what I call the Fantasy Football/Gambling viewer.  The person who doesn't root for a team, but is into the game for other reasons.  They assume that these people don't know much beyond the surface, and only care if it's a "big" game.

These people aren't the bread and butter, and they really don't care.  Pushing away the die hards to satisfy these people will have some serious negative consequences down the road.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Football as a whole appears to be a dying sport, simply looking at youth participation over time and assuming people are more likely to be interested in sports they've actually played before. It's going to be a slow death, but I don't think it will be driving anything in 50 years. It kind of makes sense to cash in now and not worry about the long term consequences.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Ranked Baylor vs ranked BYU in the late window beat out ranked Arizona St vs ranked BYU and ranked BYU vs unranked USC in 2021 in that same late window. So it really is mildly impressive.

Not for those of us who went there…

Oh I was there, in my second year of my PhD. I was just dressed in blue and gold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Vertigo said:

So they are averaging 618K viewers per game per school as a conference. Kansas, UCF, and Houston are boat anchors. 

Some of this is network-dependent based on non-conference games. I'll be curious to see the numbers of non-OU/Texas conference games.

OSU-Baylor just pulled 2.4 million viewers last week on FOX while being up against the highest rated game of the week on CBS (Alabama/Arkansas); that's a pretty strong number especially considering the direct competition.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Some of this is network-dependent based on non-conference games. I'll be curious to see the numbers of non-OU/Texas conference games.

OSU-Baylor just pulled 2.4 million viewers last week on FOX while being up against the highest rated game of the week on CBS (Alabama/Arkansas); that's a pretty strong number especially considering the direct competition.

Yeah, the ESPN+ games especially kill viewership.

• 1 month later...

This conference is absolute bullshit. Some highlights of stupidity from the recently announced Big 12 end-of-year awards:

- Max Duggan named as Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year over Bijan Robinson.

- Felix Anudike-Uzomah (who the fuck?) named as Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year over Jaylan Ford.

Neither Duggan nor FAU will sniff an All-America selection. Bijan and Ford are two of the best in the entire country at their positions, while Uzomah is not even the best defensive end in the conference, let alone the best defensive player. But that doesn't matter to the coaches. They just didn't want any Texas players getting awards. Kelvin Banks was also snubbed for Big 12 Freshman of the Year, in favor of a mediocre running back from Baylor.

In addition, despite having one of the best defensive lines in the conference, only one player (Coburn) made the second team.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

We need to get out of this conference yesterday. It’s pretty clear what’s going on and it’s a shame that the players are getting snubbed because a bunch of grown men are being petty. Texas needs to do whatever they can to move on or it’s going to be a long two years

Edited by HornsofBevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

We need to get out of this conference yesterday. It’s pretty clear what’s going on and it’s a shame that the players are getting snubbed because a bunch of grown men are being petty. Texas needs to do whatever they can to move on or it’s going to be a long two years

You misspelled "sham".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

The league doesn’t consider us as a member. At least, not in good standing. 

They just want to keep making money off us. Same as it ever was. 

Hey, Big XII remnants, know how to not be considered a bush league? Don’t do bush league things. 

Question:. Would we be acting this way if say baylor and ISU were leaving? I would think not.  I would think we would have already given them their release.  

• Fuck You 1

Yeah we got robbed but...eh...the coaches clearly have zero respect for our players or our program. And why should they? Gundy probably laughs everytime he thinks of the weak and pathetic effort we regularly give against his team. 

Don't suck and people will respect you. Not fair to the snubbed players but we all know these are team awards as much as individual awards.

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We even gave aggy their release, leaving us to hold the this ship together.  Yeah, different scenarios.....

Well we will never know if CU, NU, Mizzou, or A&M would have gotten this treatment because they were all hot garbage their last year in the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah we got robbed but...eh...the coaches clearly have zero respect for our players or our program. And why should they? Gundy probably laughs everytime he thinks of the weak and pathetic effort we regularly give against his team. 

Don't suck and people will respect you. Not fair to the snubbed players but we all know these are team awards as much as individual awards.

Remember the time in 2008 they respected Texas for a last second loss in Lubbock by manipulating the process to put a team Texas beat by double digits at a neutral site higher in the poll?

Thats not how this works. That’s not how any of this works. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

38 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Remember the time in 2008 they respected Texas for a last second loss in Lubbock by manipulating the process to put a team Texas beat by double digits at a neutral site higher in the poll?

Thats not how this works. That’s not how any of this works. 

Yep. Texas is Gulliver. The OSUs, TTS, KSUs, UHs, Baylor’s are Lilliputians and Texas is Gulliver. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

This is a stupid post. Texas didn't suck this year. Not even close. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2