Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

On 6/30/2022 at 3:06 PM, SimonBolivar said:

For leftover specific news I figured to use this thread. 

This will be fun!  They are both going to aggressively poach each other.   

Let's see. It seems like it was only yesterday Texas was the reason the Big 12 couldn't have it's own network. 

PAC "Guess what, here is a Chance for some lucky schools to be part of a conference network.  It won't ever pay as much as the big/SEC nets, but it's still a few million more than what you are now making off your T3s."

B12-2+(1+1{SCRUB})-2-2+4(SRUBS).   We still have Jayhawk Basketball.  

PAC.  "We can house 6"

Big whatever we are.  " We can take 4 or 40 if we go super bIG 12"

PAC.  " We can join Cali and Texas as home markets and make even more for all from the PACNET".

iG. " We can invite the Cali schools and join Texas and Cali too for... got nothing... "

PAC. "Goodluck  pursuing Stanford or Cal for that matter. Keep us posted on how that goes for ya".

The Big 12 schools are manning the office phones 24/7.  As soon as that call comes in, those schools will throw up the finger with a " we gone, bitches".   Anyone go look at any of their forums to see how the fans feel?  I haven't myself. 

37 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Let's see. It seems like it was only yesterday Texas was the reason the Big 12 couldn't have it's own network. 

PAC "Guess what, here is a Chance for some lucky schools to be part of a conference network.  It won't ever pay as much as the big/SEC nets, but it's still a few million more than what you are now making off your T3s."

PAC.  "We can house 6"

PAC.  " We can join Cali and Texas as home markets and make even more for all from the PACNET".

iG. " We can invite the Cali schools and join Texas and Cali too for... got nothing... "

PAC. "Goodluck  pursuing Stanford or Cal for that matter. Keep us posted on how that goes for ya".

The Big 12 schools are manning the office phones 24/7.  As soon as that call comes in, those schools will throw up the finger with a " we gone, bitches".   Anyone go look at any of their forums to see how the fans feel?  I haven't myself. 

Pac fans are def turning their nose up in regard to joining the Big 12. From what I've read on Utah and ASU's board is to add Boise and SDSU lol. 

• Haha 2

On 6/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, Sandbagging Steve said:

There's only 2 teams in the entire SEC that don't belong at the big boy table in football: Mississippi State and Vanderbilt

That's a really strong conference. And MSU is at least competitive and packs their stadium.

B1G definitely needs some purging: 

- Indiana and Purdue with small fanbases in the same state as Notre Dame

- Illinois and Northwestern with small fanbases in the same state.

Rutgers and Maryland are borderline but do bring recruiting territory, new geography to play games and some potential.

Not to mention many of the B1G programs that carry their own weight aren't a real threat to beat tOSU and other national powers. USC definitely is much needed in the B1G. They need to add Oregon and ND.

B1G needs to purge anywhere from 2 to 4 teams and remain selective with any additions.

You are wrong about Mississippi State, they belong in the SEC.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:42 AM, LTbear said:

I assume Oregon and Washington will get invites to the B1G. If not, I wonder if the PAC sticks together while giving those two unequal shares. Less media money but split more ways and with unequal shares... maaaaaaaybe holds them together? Who the fuck knows. Maybe Oregon to SEC is next. 

could Nike offer a stipend to keep the PAC together?  Basically moneywhip teams to force playdates with their baby?  make them all switch to Nike for unis

12 hours ago, Gaffords said:

PAC.  "We can house 6"

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, wildturkey8 said:

You are wrong about Mississippi State, they belong in the SEC.

They fit, but they bring no value.  They suck academically, and athletically (their 1st national title in any sport was baseball a year back).  The state of Mississippi in P5 college football ranks only above Nebraska, West Virginia, and Kansas in population and they split that in half with Ole Miss.  They bring no media markets worth a damn and are fully surrounded by better SEC schools on every side. They share colors with aggy and a team nickname with UGA and have basically nothing unique or noteworthy that casual fans would care about or miss. No one outside of their shitty state and alumni would give a shit if they were kicked out. They are pretty much the definition of a school that would never get invited to a super league, they just got lucky they were in the club before it became exclusive.

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

Texas fan writing off a national title....

LOLz.

Don’t be dumb, no one is writing it off, just pointing out that it took them 135 years of varsity athletics to get a single national title.  That’s the level of athletic programs they have.  Texas had 4 national titles this year.  Nobody would miss them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southeastern_Conference_national_championships

On 7/1/2022 at 2:23 AM, Sandbagging Steve said:

Take note, there's been plenty of schools kicked out of conferences since the beginning of time. PAC has been through it on multiple occasions and that's an old conference with a lot of history.

would you care to cite a few examples?  before you do so, recall the following all *quit* their conference on their own:

university of chicago, sewanee, tulane, ga tech, pig, texas tech

when did the pac kick teams out?

who are the "plenty of schools" that have been kicked out of other conferences?

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

would you care to cite a few examples?  before you do so, recall the following all *quit* their conference on their own:

university of chicago, sewanee, tulane, ga tech, pig, texas tech

when did the pac kick teams out?

who are the "plenty of schools" that have been kicked out of other conferences?

I can't remember everything.

PAC used to be called the PCC.

The name has changed at least 2 or 3 times because they all hate each other and the Southern California schools kicked some of the PNW schools out by just renaming the conference. I can't remember the original name change.

Even when they invited them back in the conference later on, they all didn't play each other. In fact, that is actually common all across the college game. I remember another occurrence where Duke was pissed off at South Carolina (who used to be in the ACC) because they landed a big-time basketball recruit. The horror! Duke refused to play SC in sports. South Carolina got tired of it and just left the conference. It used to be more common than you would imagine that teams would stop playing each other while still in the same conference!

USC was going to kick WSU and OSU out of the conference a second time in their history if they didn't straighten up.

WSU and OSU weren't invited back to the PAC until the 1960s. OSU was one of the 4 founding members of the PCC in the early 1900s and were abandoned.

Stanford once voted to kick UCLA out of the conference. It almost worked. Didn't quite have enough votes. PAC schools have voted to kick each other out on several other occasions in their history and didn't have quite enough votes. That doesn't even include all the so-called short term bans, sanctions and in house fighting. 

The history of the PAC isn't the same perception played out in the media today. They all hate each other at the admin level. It's full of fighting, bans, breakups, you name it.

Idaho and New Mexico State were just kicked the F out of the Sun Belt once the rule was changed that you only need to have 10 teams to hold a championship (the Big 12 rule)

A D3 school was just kicked out of the conference they founded almost exactly 100 years ago for winning too much. That happened in 2019. They founded the conference in 1920. That was all over the internet when it happened.

Back in the early days, the big schools used to fight and kick each other out. Some of those conferences don't exist anymore.

It's not conference related, but UM-ND is a fun one. Michigan refused to play Notre Dame simply because they beat them in 1909 and wouldn't let other teams in the B1G play them either.  They canceled the 1910 game like the day before the game and refused to play them for many decades. Some B1G schools did still play them but some followed Michigan's warning. Michigan's slogan "To Hell with Notre Dame" is literal. There's a lot of history behind why Notre Dame hasn't joined the B1G. A lot of unwarranted hate back in the day from the B1G programs. They actually wanted to join a long time ago and the B1G refused.

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Tech fan riding off into the new mountain west….

LOLz.

Happy to compare our respective schools resume.

Seriously?  "MSU sucks.  That natty title doesn't really matter.  Let's talk about our natties..."

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I believe the op is saying they’ve been largely irrelevant as they’ve won one national title?  How many has tech one though?

Tech has not one(sic) any in men's sports.

Now what?  Can the discussion continue?

Edited by slorch

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They fit, but they bring no value.  They suck academically, and athletically (their 1st national title in any sport was baseball a year back).  The state of Mississippi in P5 college football ranks only above Nebraska, West Virginia, and Kansas in population and they split that in half with Ole Miss.  They bring no media markets worth a damn and are fully surrounded by better SEC schools on every side. They share colors with aggy and a team nickname with UGA and have basically nothing unique or noteworthy that casual fans would care about or miss. No one outside of their shitty state and alumni would give a shit if they were kicked out. They are pretty much the definition of a school that would never get invited to a super league, they just got lucky they were in the club before it became exclusive.

If you think academics drives this, then I'll have what you are drinking.  The SEC will never kick them out. 

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Tech has not one(sic) any in men's sports.

Now what?  Can the discussion continue?

Sure.  If we’re talking national titles in mens sports Texas has more than just 4.   In this century.  Which is also more than Tech and MSU combined.   What else should we talk about?   Weather in Lubbock?   Hey I know, academics. 

Edited by closetohumping

1 hour ago, wildturkey8 said:

If you think academics drives this, then I'll have what you are drinking.  The SEC will never kick them out. 

Driving this, no, but anyone who thinks they don’t matter is a dumbass.  The reason Stanford, UNC, UVA, Duke are considered some of the top candidates for joining of the super conferences is in part due to their academics.  Obviously good football and large fan base is #1/2 but academics still rates in the top 5.

And you’re completely ignoring the lack of athletic success and hyper focusing on a single word.  MSU sucks and has no place in the new world order.  They got lucky, if the SEC/B1G decide to reform into a new league there is no way MSU would ever make the cut.

Edited by TKthunder2

58 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Driving this, no, but anyone who thinks they don’t matter is a dumbass.  The reason Stanford, UNC, UVA, Duke are considered some of the top candidates for joining of the super conferences is in part due to their academics.  Obviously good football and large fan base is #1/2 but academics still rates in the top 5.

And you’re completely ignoring the lack of athletic success and hyper focusing on a single word.  MSU sucks and has no place in the new world order.  They got lucky, if the SEC/B1G decide to reform into a new league there is no way MSU would ever make the cut.

No, I'm right.

17 hours ago, Satchel said:

The Texas brain trusts should have waited a year before counting the new money. Could have been a member of the higher brow B1G instead of the Clampett Conference.

Fuck that.  HS kids think the SEC is the place to be, so we're good where we're going.  Until Bama comes back down to Earth the B1G is gonna continue sucking hind tit.

The Texas brain trusts should have waited a year before counting the new money. Could have been a member of the higher brow B1G instead of the Clampett Conference.

No thanks. You can keep that boring ass football and freezing cold temperatures. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

fuck off with ann arbor in november

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No thanks. You can keep that boring ass football and freezing cold temperatures. 

I think you know given the chance, Texas would have picked the B1G over the Sec, whose football is no longer boring because it adopted an offensive style of play popularized by the conference being abandoned by virtually everybody.

Just now, Satchel said:

I think you know given the chance, Texas would have picked the B1G over the Sec, whose football is no longer boring because it adopted an offensive style of play popularized by the conference being abandoned by virtually everybody.

There's two teams worth associating with in the Big 10: Ohio State and Michigan. Then there's a gaggle of spares. We can play Ohio State and Michigan at will. Oh look, we actually have home and homes set up with each this decade. No need to associate with Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern. I'll take playing Vandy and Kentucky combined with the rest of the SEC over those schools any day. Would I mind playing Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State? Sure. That would be fun but not enough to join a bunch of rust belt schools when the talent is in the south. Even Ohio State gets that.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There's two teams worth associating with in the Big 10: Ohio State and Michigan. Then there's a gaggle of spares. We can play Ohio State and Michigan at will. Oh look, we actually have home and homes set up with each this decade. No need to associate with Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern. I'll take playing Vandy and Kentucky combined with the rest of the SEC over those schools any day. Would I mind playing Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State? Sure. That would be fun but not enough to join a bunch of rust belt schools when the talent is in the south. Even Ohio State gets that.  

Texas is as vain as any other school and values association with the gaggle most respected in academic/research circles. In my memory there has never been a clamor on this site to join the Sec, only an unstated envy of its money making prowess and the football success of two or three teams in the conference. The longing has always been to join the B1G. 

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Texas is as vain as any other school and values association with the gaggle most respected in academic/research circles. In my memory there has never been a clamor on this site to join the Sec, only an unstated envy of its money making prowess and the football success of two or three teams in the conference. The longing has always been to join the B1G. 

You're going to have to point out this longing to join the Big 10 that you think this site has had because I've never seen it on here. Most I've seen said the Big 10 was boring ass football outside of Ohio State. No one thought we'd join the SEC because their academics don't align with ours. There's no doubt that it's the better football conference. And let's be honest, that's all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If the B1G succeeds in luring ND and taking some ACC schools, our schedule would likely have been pretty good had we gone north. 

Say it had ended up at 24, with USC, UCLA, ND, us, OU, UNC, UVA, GT, MIA, and Stanford.  Or maybe with the star power and pay boost of adding USC, ND, us and OU, they also are able to lure FSU and Clemson instead of MIA and Stan. 

We probably end up playing OU and Neb every year, and more from the newcomers than the traditional B10 schools.  Thus mostly south and west games.  FOX is probably going to go NFL style and have the blue bloods play each other more frequently than a balanced rotation would, so most years we'd play ND, USC, and a Florida school.  Ohio St, Mich, and Penn St far more than Purdue or Minnesota.

If USC and UCLA ended up the only PAC additions to the B1G, we'd play them every year.  So a yearly game in SoCal and a home slate every year of USC/UCLA, Neb every other year, 1 of Ohio St/Mich/Penn St, 1 of FSU/Clem/ND, and probably 1 of Wisc/UNC on the years we are at Neb.  At least 4 good names at home every year.

I'd rather play that schedule, but the travel remains better in the SEC, and more importantly, I don't think the B1G can add enough blue bloods and star programs to eliminate the recruiting advantage of playing in the SEC.

BTW, I've heard on ESPN and seen several of the college reporters on Twitter say this week that the AAU is a factor but not a requirement for the FOXb1g.  Hence schools like Mia, Clemson, VT, and maybe FSU would have a shot.  This is creating an AFC/NFC now. 

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

If the B1G succeeds in luring ND and taking some ACC schools, our schedule would likely have been pretty good had we gone north. 

Say it had ended up at 24, with USC, UCLA, ND, us, OU, UNC, UVA, GT, MIA, and Stanford.  Or maybe with the star power and pay boost of adding USC, ND, us and OU, they also are able to lure FSU and Clemson instead of MIA and Stan. 

We probably end up playing OU and Neb every year, and more from the newcomers than the traditional B10 schools.  Thus mostly south and west games.  FOX is probably going to go NFL style and have the blue bloods play each other more frequently than a balanced rotation would, so most years we'd play ND, USC, and a Florida school.  Ohio St, Mich, and Penn St far more than Purdue or Minnesota.

If USC and UCLA ended up the only PAC additions to the B1G, we'd play them every year.  So a yearly game in SoCal and a home slate every year of USC/UCLA, Neb every other year, 1 of Ohio St/Mich/Penn St, 1 of FSU/Clem/ND, and probably 1 of Wisc/UNC on the years we are at Neb.  At least 4 good names at home every year.

I'd rather play that schedule, but the travel remains better in the SEC, and more importantly, I don't think the B1G can add enough blue bloods and star programs to eliminate the recruiting advantage of playing in the SEC.

BTW, I've heard on ESPN and seen several of the college reporters on Twitter say this week that the AAU is a factor but not a requirement for the FOXb1g.  Hence schools like Mia, Clemson, VT, and maybe FSU would have a shot.  This is creating an AFC/NFC now. 

fuck that ice cube GIF

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just for fun, who gets left out if Big 12 and the PAC 12 merge?

The new Big 12 four are gone.

WVU is toast. TCU is pretty borderline.

Broken pool cue tryout between Kansas and K State. 

Kansas won't get left out.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

You're going to have to point out this longing to join the Big 10 that you think this site has had because I've never seen it on here. Most I've seen said the Big 10 was boring ass football outside of Ohio State. No one thought we'd join the SEC because their academics don't align with ours. There's no doubt that it's the better football conference. And let's be honest, that's all that matters. 

The two best football teams in the Sec are perceptibly better than the the two top B1G teams in the current cycle. But things change. One could make a persuasive case for the B1G being the overall better brand. There are no Paul Finebaum hayseeds littering the airwaves on behalf of the B1G as there are for the Sec, thankfully. He is as representative of the Sec’s brand as anything.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

The two best football teams in the Sec are perceptibly better than the the two top B1G teams in the current cycle. But things change. One could make a persuasive case for the B1G being the overall better brand. There are no Paul Finebaum hayseeds littering the airwaves on behalf of the B1G as there are for the Sec, thankfully. He is as representative of the Sec’s brand as anything.

Using all time wins, the Big Ten has 5 in the top 10 but then no other schools until Wisconsin at #25.  The SEC has 4 in the top 10, 9 in the top 20, and Arkansas at #23, The Big Ten is top heavy and the SEC is more balanced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_win–loss_records

Notable expansion candidates: #5 ND, #14 Clemson, #15 West Virginia, #17 Virginia Tech, #18 Washington, #19 Pitt, #21 Georgia Tech, #22 Syracuse

2 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Using all time wins, the Big Ten has 5 in the top 10 but then no other schools until Wisconsin at #25.  The SEC has 4 in the top 10, 9 in the top 20, and Arkansas at #23, The Big Ten is top heavy and the SEC is more balanced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_win–loss_records

Notable expansion candidates: #5 ND, #14 Clemson, #15 West Virginia, #17 Virginia Tech, #18 Washington, #19 Pitt, #21 Georgia Tech, #22 Syracuse

Let’s keep it real. It is a fallacy to assert, as been done here, that winning is the most important thing as it relates to the seismic shifts occurring in big time college ball. Winning is NOT the most important thing to Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt and all of other stragglers in the Sec. Making millions is, and I suspect that will be true of schools hoping to ultimately make the cut to join either the B1G or the Sec.

B1G survives on having 3 of the 5 juggernaut fanbases in college football: tOSU, Michigan, Penn State. They just added the 6th most important (simply because of their location and history) in USC and they are chasing the last juggernaut in Notre Dame. The bottom half of their conference is complete bread. They make $ because the juggernaut teams have to play the bread.

SEC is loaded top to bottom. The only reason the $$$ is close between the two conferences remains the fact that the SEC only has one of the 5 juggernaut fanbases: TEXAS. But they then almost have EVERYONE right under those top 6 teams that are worthy of anything. They are LOADED. Vanderbilt is the only team that is not competitive and Mississippi State is the only other team that doesn't bring some kind of value financially.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

B1G survives on having 3 of the 5 juggernaut fanbases in college football: tOSU, Michigan, Penn State. They just added the 6th most important (simply because of their location and history) in USC and they are chasing the last juggernaut in Notre Dame. The bottom half of their conference is complete bread. They make $ because the juggernaut teams have to play the bread.

SEC is loaded top to bottom. The only reason the $$$ is close between the two conferences remains the fact that the SEC only has one of the 5 juggernaut fanbases: TEXAS. But they then almost have EVERYONE right under those top 6 teams that are worthy of anything. They are LOADED. Vanderbilt is the only team that is not competitive and Mississippi State is the only other team that doesn't bring some kind of value financially.

In what way is the Sec loaded top to bottom?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1