Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It’s one thing to get up for 2-4 games a year. But I mean if you don’t bring your “A” game to Lubbock, Ames, Ft Worth, Waco, Morgantown, etc., you’ll get cooked.

Well, maybe not Lubbock.

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

KU used to be the easy W in the conference and they certainly aren’t that any more.

Seemed easy enough to me.

On 11/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, statsman said:

We have most of a season of ratings in. Brett Yormark has a problem. Ratings in games between the remaining B12 teams range from mediocre to wretched. 

In week 4, BU-UCF (added, because…Florida!) was watched by 340k, mid day on FS1. They were out viewed by the BTN also-rams matchup at the same time. Baylor has been relegated to streaming at this point in the season, with a streak of games on ESPN+. 

You could argue that maybe viewers were lured away by UH-TT on FS2 at the same time (it was viewed by 188k). 

In week 9, UH played KSU at noon on ESPN2, and was viewed by 371K. That’s 40k more than the viewers of UTEP-SHSU later that night on ESPN2.

My prediction is that this conference will be taken over by the four add ins next year. If the Left Behinds are smart, they’ll let them.  

Username definitely checks out 

I hope the SEC makes note of this stupidity. So if OSU, OU and K State finished tied with 2 loses each then K State goes to the BIG XII championship game even though OSU beat the two teams they are tied with in the standings.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/big-12-update-even-after-blowout-loss-osu-can-still-big-12-championship-game-here-are-the-scenarios/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Those passes were very productive against Bama. 

He probably forgot about the pass behind the LOS to Brooks that went for 80 yards last week.   I guess Sark should just call the plays behind the LOS that went for big gains and not the others. 

• Fuck You 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, statsman said:

Well, it will be interesting. Both UT and tOSU are playing their games at the same time. We’ll see how much of Ohio and Texas that Cincy and the Cougars can draw. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:39 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Cincy at Coug High at 6pm Saturday on FS1. Will viewership beat attendance at Robertson? Treasures? 

Results are in. 176k viewers. Worse than E. Michigan at Toledo on ESPN2 at the same time. Worse than Wyoming at UNLV on the same channel, right after. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

Results are in. 176k viewers. Worse than E. Michigan at Toledo on ESPN2 at the same time. Worse than Wyoming at UNLV on the same channel, right after. 

Someone let me know if I'm missing a game but I looked at week by week ratings out of curiosity and I think there has only been 1 Big 12 matchup the entire season that did not include Texas or OU and broke 1.5MM viewers.  Oklahoma St. v Kansas St.   Do you know what was unique about that game?  It was a Friday night with absolutely zero sports competition.  The NHL hadn't started, NBA hadn't started, obviously no NFL other meaningful NCAAF games, and it was a night off for MLB playoffs (all 4 divisional series started Saturday).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Hilarious... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The Big 12 could be about to change its tiebreakers in the middle of the season

What's worse: leaving a poorly-written, illogical tiebreaker rule in place, or changing it with two weeks left in the season?

ZACH BARNETT       15 HOURS AGO

Here are the Big 12 standings, as of today:

Texas -- 6-1
Oklahoma State -- 5-2
Oklahoma -- 5-2
Iowa State -- 5-2
Kansas State -- 5-2

If the favorites win out over the season's final two weeks, the final standings would look like this:

Texas -- 8-1
Oklahoma State -- 7-2
Oklahoma -- 7-2
Kansas State -- 7-2

Here are two related items to the standings above:

Screenshot_20231115-082853_kindlephoto-5624203.png.67adbee29f36651ced1416f88088ed28.png

Since Oklahoma State owns head-to-head over both of the other tied teams, this seems easy: Oklahoma State advances to the Big 12 Championship. Right? Not necessarily.

Oklahoma and Kansas State did not play each other, which, as currently written, means Oklahoma State's head-to-head wins over OU and K-State would be thrown out as the conference moves to its next tiebreaker scenario.

Here are the Big 12 tiebreaker procedures, direct from the conference website:

Screenshot_20231115-083132_kindlephoto-5756013.png.25a1dffd24e503aeccad14822cf26626.png

In No. 1, I believe the comma after "If not" is a typo that has somehow gone unnoticed over the years. Or maybe it's supposed to be there? But if it is, what does that even mean? Who can make sense of this?

I reached out to the Big 12 today to try to make sense of this and have yet to hear back as of this writing.

However, Sellout Crowd reported Tuesday that the conference expects to "clarify" to conference ADs its 3-way tiebreaker procedures on Wednesday. What's more, it seems the "clarification" was sparked by a conversation between a conference official and the reporter.  😂

I'll let the great Berry Tramel take it from here:

Last week, I corresponded with a Big 12 source to get clarification on what that tiebreaker meant.

Our exchange kept confusing me, but I eventually was told that because OU and K-State did not play each other, OSU’s sweep of the Sooners and Wildcats was nullified. OK. Seemed silly. But at least I had confirmation.

Then Monday, I was told by the Big 12 source that our Saturday night communication caused further discussion in the conference office, leading to the clarification, which is scheduled to be presented to the Big 12 athletic directors in a conference call Wednesday.

What's worse: not changing your rules to reward the team that obviously should be rewarded, or recognizing your mistake and changing your rules mid-season? 

This is the first season the Big 12 has had to deal with such a problem. As a 12-team conference from 1996-2010, the conference split into two 6-team divisions where all divisional bunk mates played each other (and that still didn't stop Big 12 rules from lifting Oklahoma over Texas in 2008, when most other conference's rules would've named Texas the South champion). From 2011 through last season, the 10-team Big 12 played a 9-game round-robin.

Life as a 14-team conference where not everyone plays each other is new to the Big 12... but it's not new to other leagues. As pointed out by Sellout Crowd, here's how the Mountain West adjudicates the exact scenario the Big 12 could face: “Winning percentage of the tied teams are compared in a mini round-robin format. If, within the mini round-robin, any of the tied teams did not play each other, the group of teams shall remain tied, unless one team defeated all other tied teams.”

The Big 12 botched its first go-round at that same problem. That is beyond dispute. You can't leave a poorly-written, illogical rule in place... but you also can't change your rules mid-season. 

The question now: In whose direction did they botch it? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, statsman said:

You have to wonder what Utah, CU, Arizona and ASU are thinking now. 

IMG_2944.jpeg

You think they'd prefer to be a 6 team conference with WSU and ORST and being streamed on Apple? The tiebreaker was a serious fuckup and will be fixed. The conference survived though unlike the trainwreck that was the PAC.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Yeah, that probably wasn’t very bright. 

It shouldn’t matter. Texas needs to win for other goals than to show up some yahoo. 

To me, the most interesting part was when he admitted that ISU circled the Texas game along with the Iowa game. I get it- it’s their only chance to play a night game on a major channel. Targeting the Texas game has a more consistent payoff than targeting the OU game, lately. 

Just now, statsman said:

It shouldn’t matter. Texas needs to win for other goals than to show up some yahoo. 

To me, the most interesting part was when he admitted that ISU circled the Texas game along with the Iowa game. I get it- it’s their only chance to play a night game on a major channel. Targeting the Texas game has a more consistent payoff than targeting the OU game, lately. 

ISU's played 2 consecutive night games on ESPN, both against teams that will be in the Big 12 next year.

I get you're doing a bit, but try harder.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Talking shit about an opponent before a game is fucking stupid regardless of whether or not they're any good.  When they're more talented than you?  Special kind of dumb.

Yeah. People are gonna say it doesnt mean shit and that the players should be motivated anyways. But having been a former college athlete myself, I agree with you that comments like that are so stupid because they give you that extra bit of fuel to find that extra gear and fuck the other team up. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I will be so glad to be in a conference where only maybe 3 teams consider us their super bowl and we are just another team for the other 9.

After witnessing Alabama fans do the the horns down with glee, I'm starting to think the SEC may end up being more like the Big 12 than we think. 

• Hook 'Em 3