San Diego recommendations

Sundodger

56 minutes ago, JSB said:

Headed there with the kids on July. I'll read through this list, but also need to figure out if I want to try and play Torrey Pines while I'm out there. I would take my son, but he would just ride with me and maybe play a little around the green if it is slow. 

How old are the kids? Torrey was over 5.5 hours when I played over thanksgiving break (on that Monday, I think).

1 hour ago, LonghornJones said:

How old are the kids? Torrey was over 5.5 hours when I played over thanksgiving break (on that Monday, I think).

7 year old girl that would probably go to the beach with my wife, and a 10 year old son that would probably come with me. 

• 2 months later...

Just got back from our trip to San Diego and Disneyland. Had a great time in San Diego. First time in SD. We started off with the USS Midway, which was fantastic. The first aircraft on the flight deck was a replica of what my father flew in back during the Bay of Pigs. We then went to Coronado. Drove through Mission Beach towards La Jolla. We stayed in La Jolla Cove right near the Cave Store. Fantastic spot. I loved how easy it was to get to the rest of San Diego each day. 20 minute drive down the 5. We went to the San Diego Zoo for half the day and the Balboa Park till late afternoon. Went to Old Town that evening and did the Whaley Haunted House tour. My older one thought it was lame because she was expecting jump scares and not random noises. The rest of us liked it. The next morning, we just did a beach day. Went down into the cave and then over to La Jolla Shores for the beach. Went up to Torrey Pines. Had dinner in Del Mar. Sadly, Jake's was super busy so we went to Monarch instead. Woke up on the final day and went to Point Loma and Mission San Diego before heading up the 101 to Anaheim. Stopped off at Pizza Port in San Clemente. For my money, that's the gem of the area. If I had the chance to live anywhere around LA, it would be in San Clemente. Thanks for the recommendations. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego is always a great time.  Visited my nephew and his wife, who is doing travel nursing, last weekend.  They are staying at a condo on Mission Bay.

Did some boogie boarding and golfing and lots of eating!

Chilaquiles at the original Broken Yolk Cafe near Pacific Beach.

20220610_085915.thumb.jpg.4d330fa138568a01419cb2a1373837a7.jpg

Watching the horns Friday at the Sandbar Sports Grill.

20220610_094410.thumb.jpg.f725a0c2904233b6e07cb2a663e75145.jpg

Bone marrow tacos at Tuetano Taqueria in Old Town.  This taco was incredible!

20220610_153946.thumb.jpg.b3c62b6b6d4db10f8d13a297e0c669ba.jpg

Chicken and waffles and coffee at the original Hash House A Go Go.

20220611_075507.thumb.jpg.02c4ee7dae9f97e9ef39801b7158e376.jpg

20220611_075955.thumb.jpg.e308ab15febf38e400e4e1ed3484978c.jpg

Halibut sandwich at El Pescador Fish Market in La Jolla.

20220611_134015.thumb.jpg.268855fe21acbc73f99586920384469e.jpg

Jager Schnitzel and apple strudel at Kaiserhof Restaurant as seen on Restaurant Impossible. 

20220611_174110.thumb.jpg.a06f4c747deaf331011fdb0d74618056.jpg

20220611_180957.thumb.jpg.a3a437a58c2135fea3b5509cdea39168.jpg

Padres game

20220611_195139.thumb.jpg.59923e6f916691dd27aeb5a326c6f1bb.jpg

A little golf at Torrey Pines North Course.

20220612_114640.thumb.jpg.d77f3bee343b8533bab3753514781e23.jpg

Cheese wheel pasta dish and lamb shank at Monello's. The pasta dish was the best bite of the week.  They toss the pasta in a 60 lb Parmigiano cheese wheel before serving. 

20220612_202936.thumb.jpg.ce255c8a3c54a9dbf575e1897d74b968.jpg20220612_203845.thumb.jpg.6762ee706a4a023e410b72b9ccd3e413.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, JSB said:

Headed there with the kids on July. I'll read through this list, but also need to figure out if I want to try and play Torrey Pines while I'm out there. I would take my son, but he would just ride with me and maybe play a little around the green if it is slow. 

I'm not a golfer, but, Torrey Pines is NEVER slow. 

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Scripps Aquarium is fabulous. 

And, there's a deli on the cliffs at the Gliderport in La Jolla, in the middle of UCSD.  It's fun to grab a sandwich and watch the crazy bastards fly. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, mdmost said:

Just got back from our trip to San Diego and Disneyland. Had a great time in San Diego. First time in SD. We started off with the USS Midway, which was fantastic. The first aircraft on the flight deck was a replica of what my father flew in back during the Bay of Pigs. We then went to Coronado. Drove through Mission Beach towards La Jolla. We stayed in La Jolla Cove right near the Cave Store. Fantastic spot. I loved how easy it was to get to the rest of San Diego each day. 20 minute drive down the 5. We went to the San Diego Zoo for half the day and the Balboa Park till late afternoon. Went to Old Town that evening and did the Whaley Haunted House tour. My older one thought it was lame because she was expecting jump scares and not random noises. The rest of us liked it. The next morning, we just did a beach day. Went down into the cave and then over to La Jolla Shores for the beach. Went up to Torrey Pines. Had dinner in Del Mar. Sadly, Jake's was super busy so we went to Monarch instead. Woke up on the final day and went to Point Loma and Mission San Diego before heading up the 101 to Anaheim. Stopped off at Pizza Port in San Clemente. For my money, that's the gem of the area. If I had the chance to live anywhere around LA, it would be in San Clemente. Thanks for the recommendations. 

I lived in SC for 3 years. Love the place. But If you come back. Ya gotta try Dana Point…. Then hit up PCH to laguna, Newport and Huntington…. 

that pizza port is dope. Multi levels and great crafts…

a lot of bars for the Marines to stumble in 

I’ve been to San Diego a hundred times and consider myself a connoisseur of the local delicacy known as carne asada fries.

I think I found the perfect rendition of the dish at Los Chuchys downtown. It came in weighing around 2.5 pounds. I ate the entire goddamn thing. No ragrets.

6f948eedb1b842d65f13ee3ee8db28e2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 3

• 1 month later...

Got there Thursday. Came home today.

Had exactly one meal without avocado/ guac; and it was some badass Thai food.

I enjoyed San Diego's cuisine.  Not sure what Ron Burgundy's in such a twist over...

Best meal- Sunday breakfast: 4 egg omelet, chorizo, Monterey Jack cheese, grilled sliced jalapenos, covered with salsa fresca and a big fucking scoop of guac. Side of homefries with the onions in there, and then a biscuit with  gravy, and a damned good dose of Valentina.  Broken Yolk, Gaslamp District.

That's hard to fucking beat...and Saturday lunch involved lobster. Brigadine, Coronado Island.

Edited by slorch

16 hours ago, slorch said:

I enjoyed San Diego's cuisine.  Not sure what Ron Burgundy's in such a twist over...

Best meal- Sunday breakfast: 4 egg omelet, chorizo, Monterey Jack cheese, grilled sliced jalapenos, covered with salsa fresca and a big fucking scoop of guac. Side of homefries with the onions in there, and then a biscuit with  gravy, and a damned good dose of Valentina.  Broken Yolk, Gaslamp District.

That's hard to fucking beat...and Saturday lunch involved lobster. Brigadine, Coronado Island.

Do you recall the Thai place?  A client of mine has 5 in SD.  If you were in the Gaslamp, it was probably his.  "Sab-Lai".  Corner of 5th and Island.

Edited by Gil Bang

16 hours ago, slorch said:

That's hard to fucking beat...and Saturday lunch involved lobster. The Brigantine, Coronado Island.

FIFY.  And FYI, the Brig has a half-dozen or so locations.  Del Mar is my favorite, as it overlooks both the race track and the beach. 

Come to think of it, Broken Yolk also has multiple SD locations, and they are consistently good. 

You can google it. I’ve done tours out of Monterrey and bodega bay and they are very cool. Gray whales run December thru March so check out there before the trip; some years they’re early, some late. They also have other species running thru the year so check with the yours. Orca tours are cool but don’t know the season.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

I lived in SC for 3 years. Love the place. But If you come back. Ya gotta try Dana Point…. Then hit up PCH to laguna, Newport and Huntington…. 

that pizza port is dope. Multi levels and great crafts…

a lot of bars for the Marines to stumble in 

I lived in Capo Beach, and yeah, I prefer DP to SC.  SC is cool if you're on a bike, but the traffic and parking is tough. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
12 hours ago, mdmost said:

We enjoyed the Ghost Tour in Old Town

Balboa Park

Point Loma Lighthouse and view the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.  

Coronado Island

Ride the Giant Dipper in Belmont Park

Spend a day in La Jolla. Go to the Old Cave Store and take the steps down to Sunny Jim's Sea Cave

Torrey Pines, hike down to Black's Beach. 

For @ztejas, I can second Point Loma, specifically Point Loma seafood. While you're there, their fish market/restaurant has tremendous food. Order some sammiches, sit up top, look at the Harbor. There's also a nice brewery about 50 yards from the restaurant. 

Coronado Island is a fucking tremendous way to spend the day. I'm not a beach guy but it's the most picturesque beach I've ever been to, by far, and my wife and I honeymooned in a great little private spot in Jamaica. The mix of the water, the cliffs on each side, just chef's kiss. And since it's San Diego, the beach is actually like, perfect weather to stay for hours without dying.

We enjoyed Old Town in general. 

La Jolla might be one of my wife's favorite places on earth, but it IS pricey. But La Jolla cove is great, and you can literally see folks scuba diving and swimming next to seals and dolphins, it's crazy. 

San Diego has something absurd, like the most per capita craft breweries in a US city. You'll have no shortage of options. 

I'll also add Scripps Point is a hell of a view. There's some legit aquariums around there as well. 

Many rewards at “the Knoll” — Scripps Coastal Reserve | San Diego Reader

Edited by SydneyCarton

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

For @ztejas

Coronado Island is a fucking tremendous way to spend the day. I'm not a beach guy but it's the most picturesque beach I've ever been to, by far, and my wife and I honeymooned in a great little private spot in Jamaica. The mix of the water, the cliffs on each side, just chef's kiss. And since it's San Diego, the beach is actually like, perfect weather to stay for hours without dying.

I was turned off by the low flying jets. It's spectacular to see them flying over but it got old when you are trying to relax on a beach and having to cover a toddlers ears.

13 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I was turned off by the low flying jets. It's spectacular to see them flying over but it got old when you are trying to relax on a beach and having to cover a toddlers ears.

That must have been a day of exercises man. Or we got lucky.  We were there for 6 hours and I don’t recall a single plane. 

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That must have been a day of exercises man. Or we got lucky.  We were there for 6 hours and I don’t recall a single plane. 

I couldn't tell you when and why but it was a lot of jets the day we were out there.

No big deal in the grand scheme of things as overall we have a great time each trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Teach toddler to cover his/her own ears.  Also works as an "earmuffs" maneuver when urge to curse is overwhelming.  

19 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Teach toddler to cover his/her own ears.  Also works as an "earmuffs" maneuver when urge to curse is overwhelming.  

Yeah we got that down. It was our fault for not knowing that was potentially gonna be a problem. In addition we were really early in our boys autism journey, learning what would trigger him and what he finds stimulating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Yeah we got that down. It was our fault for not knowing that was potentially gonna be a problem. In addition we were really early in our boys autism journey, learning what would trigger him and what he finds stimulating. 

I know whereof you speak.  My son is on the spectrum.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I couldn't tell you when and why but it was a lot of jets the day we were out there.

No big deal in the grand scheme of things as overall we have a great time each trip. 

Yeah, that never happened once. I’d have loved to have seen it, but yeah, having a sensory kid would have been a beating 

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, I thought San Diego was an absolute hell hole. Maybe things have changed since the early 90's, but I never saw any of the cool shit y'all are talking about. 

I went out there for a new job and I was excited as hell to live in a beach town for a few months. But literally the second I left the airport these San Diego people start fucking yelling at me and they didn't stop for three months. They yelled about every fucking thing you can imagine! Most unfriendly city I've ever seen by a mile. 

I'm pretty sure back then there was only one restaurant and it SUCKED! Seems like we ate every meal there and there was always a line. WTF is that all about? And they yelled in the restaurant too! You had to eat super fast because all the other dumbfucks wanted to eat there. 

And don't get me started on the barber shops. I swear if you actually owned a pair of scissors you'd make millions there. All those fuckers know how to do is shave your head. That's it. 

At least everything was within walking -errr- running distance. We did finally go to the beach a couple times but all we did was exercise and get yelled at. I didn't like that beach. 

I'm glad y'all had fun but I'm never going back.

Pizza port for lunch, ocean beach for HH and smoking. Going back to gas lamp to chill before dinner. Gas lamp was nuts last night and we saw a dude get run over, doubt he died but god damn it was bad. Museum of is pretty cool also in balboa park 

IMG_6724.jpeg

IMG_6748.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6780.jpeg

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Pizza port for lunch, ocean beach for HH and smoking. Going back to gas lamp to chill before dinner. Gas lamp was nuts last night and we saw a dude get run over, doubt he died but god damn it was bad. Museum of is pretty cool also in balboa park 

IMG_6724.jpeg

IMG_6748.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6780.jpeg

Lulz I was thinking about riding my bike down tho Pizza Port 2 hours ago.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Would have been dope, it got crowded when we left. Also had a few drinks at La Dona because they had the Mexican lady outside making tortillas on the comal. Smelled so damn good 

That's all I need to see. If I see a Mexican woman making homemade tortillas you've just earned my business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, Paco said:

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, I thought San Diego was an absolute hell hole. Maybe things have changed since the early 90's, but I never saw any of the cool shit y'all are talking about. 

I went out there for a new job and I was excited as hell to live in a beach town for a few months. But literally the second I left the airport these San Diego people start fucking yelling at me and they didn't stop for three months. They yelled about every fucking thing you can imagine! Most unfriendly city I've ever seen by a mile. 

I'm pretty sure back then there was only one restaurant and it SUCKED! Seems like we ate every meal there and there was always a line. WTF is that all about? And they yelled in the restaurant too! You had to eat super fast because all the other dumbfucks wanted to eat there. 

And don't get me started on the barber shops. I swear if you actually owned a pair of scissors you'd make millions there. All those fuckers know how to do is shave your head. That's it. 

At least everything was within walking -errr- running distance. We did finally go to the beach a couple times but all we did was exercise and get yelled at. I didn't like that beach. 

I'm glad y'all had fun but I'm never going back.

Justified Asshole GIF - Justified Asshole - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Coronado right now. Any recs for somewhere to watch the Texas game?

Or - is there a Texas "bar" anywhere in SD that wouldn't be a pain in the ass to get to?

I'd be down to meet up if anyone else is here rn.

Edited by ztejas