Fentanyl laced Oxy, Valium, and Xanax

crash_davis

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

You are telling me that 7th and 8th grade in Westlake is rife with drugs? 

you miss the 'high schools' part? 🤨

i mean chances yes, to some extent, since those are the kids that feed into those high schools. but logically i would assume the numbers are greater in high school. yay?

ETA also, not for nothing but there was def a pretty common 'stoner' contingent in my junior high (again, 80s Houston). it would stand to reason given how much more prevalent all the drugs are nowadays that there's probably a good number of other drugs in the halls of many junior high/middle schools. in fact...one of the young people i referenced above attended O Henry and def experienced drugs there (speed and oxy).

Edited by mchookem

4 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Specifically I was responding to the guy who said a paraphrase of "dude, it's normal for kids in middle school from 13 and 14 years old to be dealing and doing a bunch of hard drugs like coke and xans-- did you just fall of the turnip truck?"

I get with highschool when you are 17 or 18 and hopefully have some higher order thinking-- but man...13 and 14 year olds are babies.

You're not wrong.  But yeah, there were young teens doing hard drugs at HP 35-40 years ago.  It's everywhere.  I'm not sure I'd say "prevalent" like in some of the poorer schools, perhaps, but there's no escape.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

you miss the 'high schools' part? 🤨

i mean chances yes, to some extent, since those are the kids that feed into those high schools. but logically i would assume the numbers are greater in high school. yay?

Yea I guess I missed how that was relevant to what I said (in response to Helobious), which was in response to middle school and specifically called out 13 and 14 year olds. Or maybe you weren't responding to me?

I just feel like there is a huge chasm between a 13/14 year old and a 17/18 year old, as a risk factor, for being in and around an environment that is supposed to be centered on education, but is prevalent and rife (using other posters words here) with the hard drugs that are now more commonly a lace-risk of something that can be "one pill, one kill" as the PSA goes.

Edited by HamsterHookah

On 2/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, TwiceHorn said:

You're not wrong.  But yeah, there were young teens doing hard drugs at HP 35-40 years ago.  It's everywhere.  I'm not sure I'd say "prevalent" like in some of the poorer schools, perhaps, but there's no escape.

Drug overdose is what killed a well known HP restaurateur recently. Toxicology results are still out but apparently he took a hot dose. A real shame I guess but he'd been noodling around playing roulette with this stuff for awhile.

And just as an edit, I know of five guys in their 40s who have either killed themselves(hanging or eating a gun barrel) or OD'd in the Park Cities since Thanksgiving. All were married with kids.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL
More gossip.

Yeah, remember this?

“A look back at the Plano heroin crisis, 20 years later”

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/plano-heroin-crisis-20-years-later/287-aa66547d-943f-43a4-929e-d7a2efde22ec
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Drug overdose is what killed a well known HP restaurateur recently. Toxicology results are still out but apparently he took a hot dose. A real shame I guess but he'd been noodling around playing roulette with this stuff for awhile.

And just as an edit, I know of five guys in their 40s who have either killed themselves(hanging or eating a gun barrel) or OD'd in the Park Cities since Thanksgiving. All were married with kids.

Are you speaking of the Homewood guy, who is Benchmark Bank's chairman's son? Figured it had to be suicide with the news of them shuttering the restaurant for business reasons and him dying several days ahead of the anticipated close.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, C-Man said:

Are you speaking of the Homewood guy, who is Benchmark Bank's chairman's son? Figured it had to be suicide with the news of them shuttering the restaurant for business reasons and him dying several days ahead of the anticipated close.

I didn’t know about his substance abuse history. RIP Matt. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/2019/08/20/center-for-recovering-alcoholics-signs-noteworthy-dallas-chef-matt-mccallister-3-years-sober/?outputType=amp

So the FDA just approved an OTC version of a narcan nasal spray (opioid of antidote). As soon as it goes to market I am going to buy a few to keep around the house, and once I am comfortable with it. Will teach my daughter how to administer it to someone else. It’s unfortunately the world we live in right now. We have to teach our teenagers to treat overdose situations among their friends. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 4:44 PM, hookemATL said:

Nah I’ll just be a parent and talk to my kids to teach them lessons and help them be resilient throughout their lives. these drugs are in your kids schools too, you naive twat. 

you do you, but get the fuck out with your sanctimonious horseshit. 

Late to this thread but I know a bunch of dudes who got kicked out of St. John's in Houston and wound up at Lamar, one of the most affluent public schools in Texas. I asked one of them what the difference was and with no hesitation he said "we had better drugs at St. John's."

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Late to this thread but I know a bunch of dudes who got kicked out of St. John's in Houston and wound up at Lamar, one of the most affluent public schools in Texas. I asked one of them what the difference was and with no hesitation he said "we had better drugs at St. John's."

Similar. A friend’s daughter moved from Westlake High to St. Stephen’s, the most affluent private school in Austin, and she said she had better access to drugs at St. Stephen’s.

25 yo nephew of one of my longest friends (all the way back to middle school) died last week of extreme fentanyl toxicity from taking a laced drug. I haven't asked which drug.

Another friend pulled her 19 yo daughter out of CU Boulder because she couldn't get the kid to stop taking cocaine despite multiple warnings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Another friend pulled her 19 yo daughter out of CU Boulder because she couldn't get the kid to stop taking cocaine despite multiple warnings.

It's a real problem in Boulder. 

Link: Illicit fentanyl’s role in CU Boulder culture has poisoned community members

And the University of Colorado was recently named the top school among those with the greatest number of drug arrests (Texas did not make the Top 25, despite being ranked 15 in the preseason poll).

Link: The Colleges with the Highest Rates of Drug Violations and Arrests

I know Colorado has had a reputation as a party school since I was in college in the mid-1990s.  But it seems shit has gotten bad in Boulder, and as a parent I'd have a real concern about sending my kid there, especially given the incredibly high costs of attendance as an out-of-state student.  It's on my daughter's list, but so far I don't think it's a legitimate candidate for her.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Similar. A friend’s daughter moved from Westlake High to St. Stephen’s, the most affluent private school in Austin, and she said she had better access to drugs at St. Stephen’s.

I would heavily wager that the drug use in the druggy circles is higher and more irresponsible at Westlake than at St. Stephen's. In fact I'd practically guarantee it. 

Now - the % of kids drinking/smoking may be higher at SS's - but the thought of someone pulling their kid out of SS's and sending them to Westlake because they're partying too much is amusing to say the least. 

Granted there's a ton of overlap. They all hang out with each other. 

Edited by ztejas

50 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's a real problem in Boulder. 

Link: Illicit fentanyl’s role in CU Boulder culture has poisoned community members

And the University of Colorado was recently named the top school among those with the greatest number of drug arrests (Texas did not make the Top 25, despite being ranked 15 in the preseason poll).

Link: The Colleges with the Highest Rates of Drug Violations and Arrests

I know Colorado has had a reputation as a party school since I was in college in the mid-1990s.  But it seems shit has gotten bad in Boulder, and as a parent I'd have a real concern about sending my kid there, especially given the incredibly high costs of attendance as an out-of-state student.  It's on my daughter's list, but so far I don't think it's a legitimate candidate for her.

I agree Boulder is a party school, but I'd hazard an uninformed guess that its being among the "highest rates of drug violations and arrests" in 2017 was more a reflection on minors in possession of cannabis in a state where recreational weed has been legal for 21 and up since 2014. It wasn't legal on a recreational basis in CA until 2018. If a kid is beautiful, confident and from a wealthy family it may be the campus that he or she falls in love with. I took my nephew from CA on a visit there 2.5 years ago and he ended up choosing Colorado State, which suits him very well.

I do remember the olden days when kids could easily swipe their parent's percocet, xanax or vicodin. But our society has clamped down hard on those sorts of drugs and as a result parents may no longer have spare pills stashed in their bathroom cabinet. It's so predictable that by making worthwhile and legit medications quite difficult and expensive to obtain, our society has created a black market for drugs that can cause permanent damage, even if it doesn't kill 'em. 

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I do remember the olden days when kids could easily swipe their parent's percocet, xanax or vicodin. But our society has clamped down hard on those sorts of drugs and as a result parents may no longer have spare pills stashed in their bathroom cabinet. It's so predictable that by making worthwhile and legit medications quite difficult and expensive to obtain, our society has created a black market for drugs that can cause permanent damage, even if it doesn't kill 'em. 

Is this a serious take? 

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Is it serious when a kid goes looking for a sleep aid and ends up getting laced drugs from a friend and dies?

So your scenario is that a kid can't steal his/her parents' prescription pills because they are so limited nowadays, so they turn to a friend who ALSO can't steal their own parents' prescription pills, but knows someone who sells drugs (or sells drugs themselves?), and then that seller sells to the friend who then gives or sells the drugs to the original kid in question who then dies from those drugs being laced?  I'm sure that happens all the time.  We all miss the days when kids could just steal prescription pills from their parents' medicine cabinet and be done with it so they could get some sleep.  Good take.

Edited by TexLonghorn
...but no concern over medical emergencies that can be caused by the kid stealing pills prescribed for adults?

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

So your scenario is that a kid can't steal his/her parents' prescription pills because they are so limited nowadays, so they turn to a friend who ALSO can't steal their own parents' prescription pills, but knows someone who sells drugs (or sells drugs themselves?), and then that seller sells to the friend who then gives or sells the drugs to the original kid in question who then dies from those drugs being laced?  I'm sure that happens all the time.  We all miss the days when kids couldn't just steal prescription pills from their parents' medicine cabinet and be done with it so they could get some sleep.  Good take.

I don't think you've captured my position at all. But go ahead and tell me when prohibition has ever worked out for the best.

Well, prohibition from allowing addictive prescription medications to be abused through excessive and unnecessary prescriptions seems to have already led to the situation where the kids are not able to steal the leftover pills from their parents' medicine cabinet without their knowledge, so there's a situation that seems to have worked out.

I mean, unless the kid has some drug-pusher friend who has an avenue to some death drugs.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Well, prohibition from allowing addictive prescription medications to be abused through excessive and unnecessary prescriptions seems to have already led to the situation where the kids are not able to steal the leftover pills from their parents' medicine cabinet without their knowledge, so there's a situation that seems to have worked out.

I mean, unless the kid has some drug-pusher friend who has an avenue to some death drugs.

Yeah I remember all those college kids who were addicted to percocet and xanax, and then died. Good take, Champ.

"Prohibition works dammit!" TexLonghorn.

Edited by Chopper

50 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Is it serious when a kid goes looking for a sleep aid and ends up getting laced drugs from a friend and dies?

If we went back to prescribing opioids/opiates at the peak rate that we saw in this country the number of fentanyl deaths would be even more astonishing. Another issue arising doesn't negate the progress we made in combating overprescription of painkillers. 

Yeah, good response, Chopper.  Like everyone on here, I remember all the TV ads through our youth recommending just going into your parents' medicine cabinet and taking some pills from in there.  Keep up the good fight.

"Gimme 'dem pills - let's see what they do!" - Chopper

Edited by TexLonghorn

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If we went back to prescribing opioids/opiates at the peak rate that we saw in this country the number of fentanyl deaths would be even more astonishing. Another issue arising doesn't negate the progress we made in combating overprescription of painkillers. 

The peak rate was a result of corporate and medical criminal acts, and the lack of strong gov't regulation. It doesn't justify a reaction of prohibition and medical providers now literally afraid of even thinking about prescribing a measly xanax.

9 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Yeah, good response.  I remember all the TV ads through our youth recommending just going into your parents' medicine cabinet and taking some pills from in there.  Keep up the good fight.

Oh but you remember the just say no ads, yeah. Those were brilliant, right?

I'm still waiting for you to name one example of when prohibition had an arguably positive or even neutral result. Since you think "just say no" was so brilliant I can't believe you're having difficulty with this. You should be able to knock it out of the park. Tick tock.

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Oh but you remember the just say no ads, yeah. Those were brilliant, right?

I'm still waiting for you to name one example of when prohibition had an arguably positive or even neutral result. Since you think "just say no" was so brilliant I can't believe you're having difficulty with this. You should be able to knock it out of the park. Tick tock.

Sorry, buddy, I already did on this very topic using your very own observations.  Prohibiting excessive prescriptions of opioids has led to them not being able to be abused by children stealing them from their parents’ medicine cabinets for such purposes as “sleep aids”.

Sorry you missed it - it WAS easy to knock it out of the park, mainly using YOUR OWN point that they are harder for children to , well, steal.  You know, like you used to do.

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Sorry, buddy, I already did on this very topic using your very own observations.  Prohibiting excessive prescriptions of opioids has led to them not being able to be abused by children stealing them from their parents’ medicine cabinets for such purposes as “sleep aids”.

Sorry you missed it - it WAS easy to knock it out of the park, mainly using YOUR OWN point that they are harder for children to , well, steal.  You know, like you used to do.

Sorry shitstain but what actually happened was you were snide to me for no good reason then made up some incredibly lame bullshit when I called you on it. Are you so fucking stupid that you don't grasp the definition of prohibition? You've failed your assignment and you suck at life.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

You're easily confused. Did you fall on your head often as a child? What we've had in this country as part of the oxycontin fallout is a law enforcement-led clampdown on other legal opiods and benzos. Penalties have been ratcheted up. No alternatives are allowed. And treatment has been forsaken. It's the same response to every drug crisis we've had. And as a result, the street drugs keep getting smaller, more powerful and easier to illegally produce and transport.

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You're easily confused. Did you fall on your head often as a child? What we've had in this country as part of the oxycontin fallout is a law enforcement-led clampdown on other legal opiods and benzos. Penalties have been ratcheted up. No alternatives are allowed. And treatment has been forsaken. It's the same response to every drug crisis we've had. And as a result, the street drugs keep getting smaller, more powerful and easier to illegally produce and transport.

You seem to think that by making percocet and xanax widely available (two medications that we are increaingly discovering aren't particularly useful for anything in a therapeutic sense) it will somehow cut down on fentanyl ODs. The cat is already out of the bag with fentanyl. Reverting to giving out benzo and opiate/oid prescriptions like candy would just dump gasoline on the fire. 

• Hook 'Em 1