Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

Fong update on CB Jay Ward (3* from GA) :: 

SOUNDS LIKE AGGIES AND FSU IN GOOD SPOT FOR GEORGIA CB 
After doing some digging regarding the recruitment of Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County cornerback Jay Ward, it sounds like Texas A&M and Florida State are in the best position to land the talented defensive back. I flipped my Crystal Ball from LSU to foggy, still not ruling out the Tigers if they push down the stretch. Ed Orgeron and company hosted Ward for an official the weekend of Dec. 14.

Back to the Aggies and Seminoles, Ward is slated to visit College Station the weekend of Jan. 18 and then head to Tallahassee the weekend of Jan. 25.

247Sports ranks Ward as the nation's No. 30 cornerback.

guess that puts a wet blanket on the Lucci "Ags backed off Banks" story. 

Edited by golfclap

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Aahh, the push for the purchase of late cycle recruits who we've never seen mentioned with aggy all of the sudden taking an OV.

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They might have found out he signed with Bama early 

This kid was going to be the Banks replacement for LSU, until they started looking good for Christian Williams 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aahh, the push for the purchase of late cycle recruits who we've never seen mentioned with aggy all of the sudden taking an OV.

To be fair, Ward seems like a regular recruit who's played the double signing periods perfectly to be big programs' backup plan. More 3 stars really should do that.

53 minutes ago, texifornia said:

To be fair, Ward seems like a regular recruit who's played the double signing periods perfectly to be big programs' backup plan. More 3 stars really should do that.

Agreed for OL, DL, and CB - for sure. 

I wouldn't do that dance with a spot at RB, QB, or S. LB would depend on the year.  

I actually like Spiller. Dude is a baller. I hate seeing him go to aggy, but they did get a good one. 

I’m not so sure. We (Vandegrift) played him in a playoff game and he was not schemed against and did not dominate. He’s not terrible, but I would have expected him to stand out more.

A&M set for big official visit weekend with dead period over

BRIAN PERRONI 

Texas A&M only has three spots left in the class of 2019 - and that does not include potentially saving room for the two unsigned commits in Braedon Mowry and Josh Ellison. That means the Aggies are going to have to make some decisions over who they target in this next month or so.

The dead period is now over and official visits can start again. During the first weekend back, the Aggies will have a quintet of official visitors on campus.

Two - five-star Atascocita offensive tackle Kenyon Green and fellow offensive tackle Blake Trainor of Hallsville - are already signed. Green, the state's top-ranked prospect was just not able to take his visit in the fall, so he saved it for now. The same goes with Trainor. Next weekend, fellow offensive line signee Layden Robinson will do the same thing.

Green will be see a very familiar face in town with Houston North Forest four-star offensive tackle and Texas commit Javonne Shepherd finally making his official visit to Aggieland. The 6-foot-6, 340-pound unsigned senior is close friends with Green and was close to committing to A&M at one point. The Aggies still have a legitimate shot, but all three of Alabama, Georgia and Texas get visits after A&M. Shepherd does not plan to make a final decision until Signing Day on Feb. 6, but it will be interesting to hear his tone when the weekend is over. Could he potentially cancel the other visits? That is not likely, but A&M can definitely make an impression.

Another familiar face to Green will be Amite, La., four-star athlete Devonta Lee. The two got to know each other during the Under Armour All-American week and Green has already done some recruiting. You can bet he will continue to do so this weekend.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound senior is being recruited by A&M as a linebacker. He is also high on in-state LSU, which wants him as a wide receiver. Kentucky is in it as well as he officially visited there in December with teammate and Wildcat quarterback Amani Gilmore. LSU has the edge at the moment and will get the final visit, but this will be Lee's first time to spend an extended period in Aggieland. It will also be a chance for A&M to show him the linebacker depth chart.

The fourth visitor is also a linebacker. Christopher Russell from Dyersburg, Tenn., was a longtime Memphis commit before several SEC schools came calling after his senior season. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound inside linebacker has plans to visit A&M this weekend and will follow that up with trips to Auburn, Arkansas and Tennessee. Arkansas was once thought to be his likely destination until the others came calling. Right now, in-state Tennessee looks to have the edge

It cracks me up how many ags think their program is on a perfectly linear upward trajectory.  They lose almost all of their best players off this year's roster. The 2015 class was their best recruiting class in the last 4 years.  All those guys are gone. All the best guys from their #18 2016 class have declared early, leaving them with the least talented parts of a poor 2016 class plus their 2017 class (#13) and 2018 class (#17), along with hoping and praying that as many guys from 2019 can play early as possible. Plain and simple, next year's team is going to be a hell of a lot less talented than this year's and their schedule gets harder. 

It's gonna be fun to watch the ags struggle to comprehend this all next year. 

• Like 1

The symbolic importance of Shepherd is huge to Fisher, allegedly. I feel like the two most likely outcomes with Shepherd are:

1) He visits ATM this weekend and the Dylan Wright maneuver is pulled, whereby he shuts everything down and then signs with them on NSD.

2) He doesn't visit ATM this weekend. 

I missed this during vacation but David Ugwoegbu was sent home from the AA game, after being a late addition, for breaking some rule? Sounds like it wasn't a big deal but man that doesn't speak very well to his desire to put football first, that's for sure. If you can't remain focused on football at an AA game for a couple of days, what is 4-5 years on a college campus going to look like? 

Guess I'll xpost this in the Aggy and OU threads ... 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The symbolic importance of Shepherd is huge to Fisher, allegedly. I feel like the two most likely outcomes with Shepherd are:

1) He visits ATM this weekend and the Dylan Wright maneuver is pulled, whereby he shuts everything down and then signs with them on NSD.

I could easily see him "shutting it down" this weekend, but then turning around and signing with Alabama at the last minute in spite of not having visited. I won't put money on what Schroedinger's OT does, but I won't be surprised by any of the infinite possible outcomes, either.

13 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

A&M set for big official visit weekend with dead period over

BRIAN PERRONI 

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound senior is being recruited by A&M as a linebacker. He is also high on in-state LSU, which wants him as a wide receiver. Kentucky is in it as well as he officially visited there in December with teammate and Wildcat quarterback Amani Gilmore. LSU has the edge at the moment and will get the final visit, but this will be Lee's first time to spend an extended period in Aggieland. It will also be a chance for A&M to show him the linebacker depth chart.

For aggy linebacker depth chart please see below:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've kicked it around in my head a little. I think he'll give hints about A&M and Texas over the next couple of weeks to stir the crowd ala a professional wrestler, then he'll "dramatically" choose aggy on NSD2, probably while wearing some piece of Longhorn gear. I'm guessing he's been silently committed to aggy for some time.

Regardless, fuck Shepard and fuck Footwork King.

I think Tarp's been reading Surly as well (Hi Hamm, Hi Tarp!) 

Williams a big-time upgrade at safety for the Aggies

Texas A&M early signee Brian Williams’ biggest attribute in the Under Armour All America game has been the same one that I saw from him the first time I ever saw him on film. He has great vision, acceleraration, and change of direction, qualities that help him get a great jump on the ball and make plays. He is able to read a quarterback’s eyes and still see where a wideout is headed and intersect the line between the two to take the ball away or knock it down.

The interception that he had in the second quarter of the game is a perfect example of that - the quarterback is flushed from the pocket and sees a receiver adjust his route to put a second move on a corner to get down the field running free. However, playing centerfielder, Williams sees the quarterbacks’ eyes, gets a great jump on a well thrown ball that is thrown beyond the intended receiver, and hauls it in. It’s also a play in which Williams cleans up a mistake made by the corner who gets beat as well as a defensive line that loses containment on the quarterback.

Last season, the Aggies had safeties who could close on the ball and at the line of scrimmage and make plays versus the running game. It was a different proposition when they were in the middle of the field in man high coverages. Williams is the type of safety that may not be able to range all of the way over to the sidelines but he’s going to be able to play almost any play between the numbers and take away major portions of the field. There was a one to two step difference between him and the other safeties on the game rosters in this regard.

Williams also had to cover down as a nickel-type player and again those same attributes came into play. He keeps his feet underneath his shoulders in his stance and backpedal and is well coordinated. He doesn’t overextend himself and so can react to a receivers’ cut and stay with him. Not only that, when he sees the ball go elsewhere, he changes direction, squares up his shoulders, and goes in the direction of the ball. Williams also understands how to play combination coverages and hand off receivers to the right back defender when they change up a route. He is a disciplined player who doesn’t overrun a play just to make one….if his job is to turn the ball back inside, he holds his ground and does so, even in an all star game. Williams inherently understands the meaning of the term safety…he’s the last line of defense and he’s not going to get people get behind him.

Williams is an upgrade to the back line of the Aggies’ defense. He’s got the body, vision, and an understanding of football that should be able to enable him to contribute right away…at worst on special teams, at best as someone who can rotate in for a more experienced player. For comparison purposes, he’s akin to former A&M star Armani Watts in terms of his range and playmaking ability. I would like to see him play with better pad level and the ability to square up to a ball carrier in run support but I’m nitpicking here to an extent. Otherwise, Williams - like Watts - is someone who is ready to go, see early playing time, and upgrade the Aggies’ defense from the moment he sets foot on campus.

He has great vision, acceleraration, and change of direction 

4.47 shuttle. 

Just a reminder :: 

Brian Williams -- 4.47 shuttle - 31" vertical

comparison :: 

Caden Sterns — 4.01 shuttle - 37.4 vertical
BJ Foster - 4.27 shuttle - 33.7 vertical

Are Mowry & Ellison really not going to qualify or are they getting grey-shirted depending on who Aggy buys late?

They have three spots left without Mowry & Ellison being trap-doored/not qualified

Javonne Shepherd - OT

Devonta Lee - LB  Cancelled OV to A&M

Christopher Russell - LB

Jay Ward - CB

Braedon Mowry - DE

Josh Ellison - DT

David Ugwoegbu - DE

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Are Mowry & Ellison really not going to qualify or are they getting grey-shirted depending on who Aggy buys late?

They have three spots left without Mowry & Ellison being trap-doored/not qualified

Javonne Shepherd - OT

Devonta Lee - LB  Cancelled OV to A&M

Christopher Russell - LB

Jay Ward - CB

Braedon Mowry - DE

Josh Ellison - DT

David Ugwoegbu - DE

Wait, when did Lee cancel his OV? Where are the posts of all the aggy tears?

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone posted it on the aggy 247 board that he canceled.  I guess aggy couldn't match other schools money bag.

Nah, I think the bagman article posted a while back mentioned that a recruit says they want to visit another school and the main school will pay to have them cancel the visit. It's just another way for recruit X to get extra money. It's possible he realized Aggy was Aggy and got weirded out. 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

They absolutely have to take a LB and CB. 

You would think they also HAVE to take a DE. Either Mowry or Ugwoegbu because their depth chart is laughable. I just don't get how they fit Shephard, but I'm sure they could convince Mowry to take a grey shirt. 

If they aren't qualifying, like Mowry supposedly might not be, grey shirts don't make sense because they have to wait two years before they're eligible again 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I think Tarp's been reading Surly as well (Hi Hamm, Hi Tarp!) 

Williams a big-time upgrade at safety for the Aggies

Reveal hidden contents

Texas A&M early signee Brian Williams’ biggest attribute in the Under Armour All America game has been the same one that I saw from him the first time I ever saw him on film. He has great vision, acceleraration, and change of direction, qualities that help him get a great jump on the ball and make plays. He is able to read a quarterback’s eyes and still see where a wideout is headed and intersect the line between the two to take the ball away or knock it down.

The interception that he had in the second quarter of the game is a perfect example of that - the quarterback is flushed from the pocket and sees a receiver adjust his route to put a second move on a corner to get down the field running free. However, playing centerfielder, Williams sees the quarterbacks’ eyes, gets a great jump on a well thrown ball that is thrown beyond the intended receiver, and hauls it in. It’s also a play in which Williams cleans up a mistake made by the corner who gets beat as well as a defensive line that loses containment on the quarterback.

Last season, the Aggies had safeties who could close on the ball and at the line of scrimmage and make plays versus the running game. It was a different proposition when they were in the middle of the field in man high coverages. Williams is the type of safety that may not be able to range all of the way over to the sidelines but he’s going to be able to play almost any play between the numbers and take away major portions of the field. There was a one to two step difference between him and the other safeties on the game rosters in this regard.

Williams also had to cover down as a nickel-type player and again those same attributes came into play. He keeps his feet underneath his shoulders in his stance and backpedal and is well coordinated. He doesn’t overextend himself and so can react to a receivers’ cut and stay with him. Not only that, when he sees the ball go elsewhere, he changes direction, squares up his shoulders, and goes in the direction of the ball. Williams also understands how to play combination coverages and hand off receivers to the right back defender when they change up a route. He is a disciplined player who doesn’t overrun a play just to make one….if his job is to turn the ball back inside, he holds his ground and does so, even in an all star game. Williams inherently understands the meaning of the term safety…he’s the last line of defense and he’s not going to get people get behind him.

Williams is an upgrade to the back line of the Aggies’ defense. He’s got the body, vision, and an understanding of football that should be able to enable him to contribute right away…at worst on special teams, at best as someone who can rotate in for a more experienced player. For comparison purposes, he’s akin to former A&M star Armani Watts in terms of his range and playmaking ability. I would like to see him play with better pad level and the ability to square up to a ball carrier in run support but I’m nitpicking here to an extent. Otherwise, Williams - like Watts - is someone who is ready to go, see early playing time, and upgrade the Aggies’ defense from the moment he sets foot on campus.

He has great vision, acceleraration, and change of direction 

4.47 shuttle. 

Just a reminder :: 

Brian Williams -- 4.47 shuttle - 31" vertical

comparison :: 

Caden Sterns — 4.01 shuttle - 37.4 vertical
BJ Foster - 4.27 shuttle - 33.7 vertical

I love when Tarp gives his expert analysis on Texas Football.  

He said the 10th place SEC team ( Vandy ) isn't supposed to lose to the 6th place Big 12 team ( Baylor ).  Also said Georgia would beat Texas and it wouldn't even be close.  

51 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I love when Tarp gives his expert analysis on Texas Football.  

He said the 10th place SEC team ( Vandy ) isn't supposed to lose to the 6th place Big 12 team ( Baylor ).  Also said Georgia would beat Texas and it wouldn't even be close.  

I mean...Tarp is a regard, which is why he covers aggy. 

We should lament this. His pseudo-commitment, association with FWK, failure to show up to more than one school on more than one occasion, and being kicked off his HS team are not flags that could signal a sub-total focus on being the best OT he can for his chosen team. And OL is about HS measurables, not commitment and development (for most players). Most all-conference players are former blue chips. Oh, wait.

Dude has all the physical tools. I don’t fault staff for still pursuing him, but maximum payoff is tempered by the probability of other outcomes, even should he come here. 

Edited by Magus Ossis

28 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

We should lament this. His pseudo-commitment, association with FWK, failure to show up to more than one school on more than one occasion, and being kicked off his HS team are not flags that could signal a sub-total focus on being the best OT he can for his chosen team. And OL is about HS measurables, not commitment and development (for most players). Most all-conference players are former blue chips. Oh, wait.

Dude has all the physical tools. I don’t fault staff for still pursuing him, but maximum payoff is tempered by the probability of other outcomes, even should he come here. 

Let him be another school's head case.  He'll be doing us a favor by following the $$$ elsewhere and freeing up a scholly.  It's more fun watching other programs suffer from their own self inflicted wounds.  

• Like 1