Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Recruits sound off about A&M's season-opening victory

VIP ByDAMON SAYLES 79 minutes ago

8480193.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 A&M CB commit Jeffery Carter (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

The Jimbo Fisher era on the football field officially started with a bang Thursday night, and the noise the Aggies made didn't go unnoticed. Texas A&M dismantled Northwestern State, 59-7, to kick off the 2018 football season. It was a game that saw the Aggies gain more than 750 yards of total offense and hold Northwestern State to 251 yards and 13 first downs on defense.

The announced crowd of 95,855 at Kyle Field was entertained from start to finish, and those who couldn't make the trek to College Station enjoyed watching on national TV. With 
the game being on Thursday, many of the committed players in the 2019 class didn't get a chance to see the game in person, but what they saw on TV lit a fire in them regarding the future of the program.

"I thought it was a great way to showcase what their offensive scheme would look like this season without showing too much," 4-star wide receiver pledge Kam Brown said. "And I was impressed with the way the defense played."

"They blew them out like they were supposed to," 4-star cornerback Jeffery Carter added. "Five [Trayveon Williams] did good, and the defense played good, too."

There was much to like from Thursday's game if you were rooting for Texas A&M. The offense looked crisp and methodical. Williams rushed for 240 yards and three touchdowns, and quarterback Kellen Mond answered many questions by throwing for two touchdowns -- both to tight end Jace Sternberger -- and rushing for another.

Defensively, Texas A&M played with a purpose. Northwestern State was only allowed 21 rushing yards for the night. And those numbers were against the Aggies' first and second teams -- and some third-team players, as well.

One commit checking out the defense was Christian Harris. The Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 4-star athlete, who is expected to see time at either linebacker or rover upon his arrival in College Station, was proud of what the front seven was able to do.

"I loved the game!" Harris said. "One thing I was really impressed with was the defense. I think this year they're going to be the team to beat."

While the commits were happy with the results, some of the team's top recruiting targets for the 2020 class also were impressed. 2020 cornerback Dwight McGlothern spent much of 
the summer in College Station hanging out and training with safeties Jordan Moore and Leon O'Neal Jr., who saw extended playing time Thursday. McGlothern sent a tweet during the game expressing his full support for Fisher and the Aggies.

La Habra, California, 4-star Clark Phillips III is another out-of-state player keeping tabs on the moves the Aggies make this season. Phillips was extremely excited to pick up a Texas A&M offer on July 24, and while he didn't catch the game because of a La Habra team dinner, he did make it a priority to stay updated with what was happening with the program.

Phillips added that a win like Thursday's will have a bunch of recruits tuning in next Saturday. The Aggies will host Clemson at Kyle Field.

"Big win for Coach Fisher in his opener," Phillips said. "They've got a huge one with Clemson. I can't wait to see that one."

1COMMENTS

The season is still very early, and there's still a lot to learn with the football team. To 2019 safety pledge Brian Williams, Thursday's effort sent a message to every recruit. It was the opportunity to show commits and targets that there's a new dynamic in College Station, and the goal is to play all four quarters with the same level of intensity.

"They did what was expected. A dominating win," Williams said. "There's a lot to be happy about on both sides

3 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Only other option is SC/Tree but thats on FOX... Guarantee they will be at TCU/Ohio St week 3 also instead of SC/UT.. ABC/ESPN  over FOX 

I think they wait for Meyers return before they send their crew to an OSt game.

Daddy has spoken (*warning may induce seizures.) 

Mond. Really had a nice game. I think the 3-4 drops were actually his best throws. His stats weren't great but the drops would have greatly helped it. The throw to Buckley was the best throw he's ever made and that many have made and that drop just made me want to hurt Buckley. The part that I did see is he was predominately going to his first read every play and stared it down and threw it. When he didn't go to the first read he mostly dumped it to the back. That's where he'll have to show something vs Clemson and the SEC to reach the next level. But his first read accuracy was very impressive. I like the way he ran a more than last year. He no ? has improved from last year. We will see how he does reading defenses and going to 2nd and 3rd reads. We need more production.

Jace Sternberger as I have stated is the best player on the team. He's a NFL te. Maybe I should say offense but he's just a helluva player and matchup. I'll post more later but we should see plenty of Two tight ends against Clemson. It's our best talent. Both are NFL guys and how we were so fortunate to land those guys was nothing short of luck.

off line really ran blocked well. Hocker and even Kiefer were mauling the opponents (as they should) the tackles I need to re watch the tape but they also block so much better with both tight ends in the game to me than with the one tight and fullback. I need to go back and watch the gape on the tackles. Need to see if the unblocked guy on the outside was a extra defender or if the off line missed him. Most likely Mond didn't read the blitz on that. T Williams missed a few blocks.

Receivers we need more juice. If you run a 4.7 you better catch everything. Buckley and R Paul did not have good games and R Paul is not a punt returner unless you just want to go after the punt block every other time and have him fair catch. Just doesn't have enough juice. I hope to see more of Preston as the year goes on and Kenric Rogers. Whoaa. that was a NFL catch. he probably has the most upside on the team. That guy should be an NFL guy. Tall, pretty fast, crazy catch radius but gets lazy. Need Speed. need to covet it.

T Williams ran for 240 yards. Really good game. the interesting part is I am not sure he had the best runs. Corbin, etwi, Vernon really ran well outside of the fumble and pass blocking. I don't think the gaps between T Williams and the next best guy is that much but it's hard for me to state who's the next best guy. Etwi is a helluva runner. how did he not have ship offers. You telling me he couldn't be the best back at rice or something? he's really quick and he doesn't bull chit, always moving north and south.

Def Line is really talented and they straight beasted that off line (as they should). Madu the Slender was the guy that stood out the most. 
line backers. Need depth. dodson's good. alaka on the kickoff return lowered his head but he looks in the best shape I've seen. The guy is ready for the NFL Combine. he's a 5th year sr I think and it shows. Body looks like a NFL guy. 6'2.75 240. He may make it. Sometimes it's good to stay in college longer.

Db's. We play off too much. Go and document the pass completions and it's almost always when we play off. Elam's double move was playing off and that sluggo got his knees broken. God is Fair 6'2 guys aren't made to bend and cut as fast as 5'10 guys. Charlies Oliver breaks well on the ball but he gets stiff and when he does he doesn't cover as well. Debo best run support Corner we've had. he's a cover 2 Cb. Not sure if he'll stay at cb or be a FS or combo like Deshazer but he can play. he and Donovan Bailey Wilson are our best db's by far to me. I love Me some Donovan. That guy is a straight up assassin. He was born to kill people. Not sure how he is in coverage but his run support is straight filthy.

the corners to me are built for cover 2 zone and press man. the more they are off the more those taller guys will struggle in coverage particularly on double moves and stutter steps. Elko did play more press in the 2nd half particularly on passing downs and they struggled getting off of our corners hands. I do believe the 3 fish will compete hard to play early.

Special Teams. We need juice. Need to land Beason. Slot Cb, reverse guy, and returner. R Paul is too slow.

best line is of course  

Jace Sternberger as I have stated is the best player on the team.

46 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I will never understand how beating a FCS team is a “big win”. I’ll dedicate my mass to asking God if Clemson can shutout A&M by 50 by all those “120 prospects”.

We beat San Jose St 56-0 in Charlie Strong’s last season, the same one where we lost to fucking Kansas. Pretty sure that San Jose St team would have beat the shit out of that team last night.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Daddy has spoken (*warning may induce seizures.) 

Hide contents

Mond. Really had a nice game. I think the 3-4 drops were actually his best throws. His stats weren't great but the drops would have greatly helped it. The throw to Buckley was the best throw he's ever made and that many have made and that drop just made me want to hurt Buckley. The part that I did see is he was predominately going to his first read every play and stared it down and threw it. When he didn't go to the first read he mostly dumped it to the back. That's where he'll have to show something vs Clemson and the SEC to reach the next level. But his first read accuracy was very impressive. I like the way he ran a more than last year. He no ? has improved from last year. We will see how he does reading defenses and going to 2nd and 3rd reads. We need more production.

Jace Sternberger as I have stated is the best player on the team. He's a NFL te. Maybe I should say offense but he's just a helluva player and matchup. I'll post more later but we should see plenty of Two tight ends against Clemson. It's our best talent. Both are NFL guys and how we were so fortunate to land those guys was nothing short of luck.

off line really ran blocked well. Hocker and even Kiefer were mauling the opponents (as they should) the tackles I need to re watch the tape but they also block so much better with both tight ends in the game to me than with the one tight and fullback. I need to go back and watch the gape on the tackles. Need to see if the unblocked guy on the outside was a extra defender or if the off line missed him. Most likely Mond didn't read the blitz on that. T Williams missed a few blocks.

Receivers we need more juice. If you run a 4.7 you better catch everything. Buckley and R Paul did not have good games and R Paul is not a punt returner unless you just want to go after the punt block every other time and have him fair catch. Just doesn't have enough juice. I hope to see more of Preston as the year goes on and Kenric Rogers. Whoaa. that was a NFL catch. he probably has the most upside on the team. That guy should be an NFL guy. Tall, pretty fast, crazy catch radius but gets lazy. Need Speed. need to covet it.

T Williams ran for 240 yards. Really good game. the interesting part is I am not sure he had the best runs. Corbin, etwi, Vernon really ran well outside of the fumble and pass blocking. I don't think the gaps between T Williams and the next best guy is that much but it's hard for me to state who's the next best guy. Etwi is a helluva runner. how did he not have ship offers. You telling me he couldn't be the best back at rice or something? he's really quick and he doesn't bull chit, always moving north and south.

Def Line is really talented and they straight beasted that off line (as they should). Madu the Slender was the guy that stood out the most. 
line backers. Need depth. dodson's good. alaka on the kickoff return lowered his head but he looks in the best shape I've seen. The guy is ready for the NFL Combine. he's a 5th year sr I think and it shows. Body looks like a NFL guy. 6'2.75 240. He may make it. Sometimes it's good to stay in college longer.

Db's. We play off too much. Go and document the pass completions and it's almost always when we play off. Elam's double move was playing off and that sluggo got his knees broken. God is Fair 6'2 guys aren't made to bend and cut as fast as 5'10 guys. Charlies Oliver breaks well on the ball but he gets stiff and when he does he doesn't cover as well. Debo best run support Corner we've had. he's a cover 2 Cb. Not sure if he'll stay at cb or be a FS or combo like Deshazer but he can play. he and Donovan Bailey Wilson are our best db's by far to me. I love Me some Donovan. That guy is a straight up assassin. He was born to kill people. Not sure how he is in coverage but his run support is straight filthy.

the corners to me are built for cover 2 zone and press man. the more they are off the more those taller guys will struggle in coverage particularly on double moves and stutter steps. Elko did play more press in the 2nd half particularly on passing downs and they struggled getting off of our corners hands. I do believe the 3 fish will compete hard to play early.

Special Teams. We need juice. Need to land Beason. Slot Cb, reverse guy, and returner. R Paul is too slow.

best line is of course  

Daddy’s command of the english language and his lucid thinking makes me think he has a career as a 9.95er. He is wasted in the insurance industry.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Daddy’s command of the english language and his lucid thinking makes me think he has a career as a 9.95er. He is wasted in the insurance industry.

he's not sober consistently enough for that kind of commitment. 

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We beat San Jose St 56-0 in Charlie Strong’s last season, the same one where we lost to fucking Kansas. Pretty sure that San Jose St team would have beat the shit out of that team last night.

SJSU contrived to lose to UC Davis (a pretty good FCS school) last night so who knows.

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Not true. We beat SJSU 56-0 last year the week after the Maryland loss, with Sam making his first start ever  

We beat UTEP like a drum in 2016, though. 

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Dl8DRwjVsAAvLTv.jpgDl8DS53VAAAVNje.jpgDl8DUIBUwAEXQXd.jpgDl8DVefVsAAG9op.jpg

Ahh yes, aggy.  The Ivy League of the south.

fucking morons, and they still don't realize they have written every aggy joke conceived through personal history.

as far as >95k for that game?  I guess 30k were waiting in line at the porta-can. By the 4th Q there were >95k empty benches

16 hours ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I will never understand how beating a FCS team is a “big win”. I’ll dedicate my mass to asking God if Clemson can shutout A&M by 50 by all those “120 prospects”.

It's big because, if they don't win those games against the Little Sisters of the Poor, they have no chance of ever getting to 8 wins.