Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

39 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I didn’t even realize aggy played Bama yesterday.  Glancing at the box score, looks like aggy scored a touchdown in the fourth which I assume was against Bama‘s third stringers and walk on‘s.  Were those seven points what stopped Bama from covering the spread? 

Yes

54 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I didn’t even realize aggy played Bama yesterday.  Glancing at the box score, looks like aggy scored a touchdown in the fourth which I assume was against Bama‘s third stringers and walk on‘s.  Were those seven points what stopped Bama from covering the spread? 

They took Tua out with like 3 or 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. With a bunch of other starters. 

Bama would have won this by 40+ if they kept the starters in. Tua threw for about 400 yards in 2.5 quarters. They could have dropped over 60 points on that aggy defense if they needed it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Damon Sayles: 2019 DBs ready for their shots in SEC play

In the past, it's been rare to see Alabama with more than 400 passing yards in a game. Part of the reason is because of its vaunted run game, led by big, strong, powerful running backs and a brick wall made up of five offensive linemen and a versatile tight end. In Saturday's 45-23 win over Texas A&M, Alabama was successful not because of its run game but because of what it was able to do in the air. Tua Tagovailoa completed 22 of 30 passes for 387 yards and four touchdowns. Backup quarterback Jalen Hurts, in mop-up duty, completed all three of his passes for 28 yards.

Texas A&M gave up a total of 415 passing yards against a traditionally run-happy Alabama team. That struck a nerve to members of the Texas A&M 2019 secondary class. "I have to be ready to compete and ready to play," Waxahachie 4-star safety Demani Richardson said. Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies next season will welcome the 2019 quintet of Richardson, safety Brian Williams and cornerbacks Jeffery Carter, Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe. The players -- all 4-star prospects -- are considered one of the best defensive back class ever for Texas A&M. All five players competed at The Opening this past summer, and four of the five commits make up the seven highest-rated players in the Aggies' class.

While they're all in the middle of their respective high school seasons, playing under the Saturday lights in front of 100,000-plus fans is something they are excited about and think about daily. Saturday's loss allowed the defensive backs to see the perennial power of the SEC show its passing attack, something they could see a lot of next season. Tagovailoa will be a junior next season, and Fisher will be looking to put in the best defenders in the secondary.

Texas A&M's defensive front seven has been impressive. In four games, the Aggies have allowed an average of only 87 rushing yards -- including 109 Saturday against Alabama. Thirty-five of those yards came in the third quarter on a Damien Harris run. The passing game, however, is something the Aggie defense can work on. The team is allowing an average of 292 yards per contest. And the 2019s said they will be ready for the challenge when their numbers are called next season.

"I watch a lot of teams, and I have watched every A&M game," Williams said. "Each different game and team gives a different game plan with different tasks." Carter added: "I feel like I can really step in and be a impact on the defense when I get there. Coach [Mike] Elko is a great coach, and this defense is going to be great."

During his post-game interview, Fisher talked about his team's lack of open-field tackling against Alabama. A few of those plays made could have resulted in momentum-turning changes of possession. Some of those plays resulted in extra yards after the catch. "Open-field tackling in today's football is critical," Fisher told reporters Saturday night, "and we've got to get better at it." The good news with the 2019 class is, while they're all good cover backs, they're also solid open-field tacklers. Wolfe looks at the challenge at hand with both eyes wide open. He defines the upcoming opportunities with one word: "Competition."

"We have to bring more energy," Wolfe said. Collectively, Texas A&M's five defensive backs aid in the program's No. 2 nationally ranked class according to the 247Sports Composite. They are ranked five of the top-32 players in the state of Texas.

7 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Paying for Beason? Seems like someone needs to show this to those NCAA folks with those ex lb claims.

Every aggy I have ever talked to thinks like this.  They believe openly that every team cheats, and that they are finally cheating at the same level. They don’t try to hide it, because everyone does it and now that they are rich, they can compete and win these financial recruiting battles. 

10 hours ago, cochamps said:

They got Slo’neal cause we didn’t want his sorry ass. That’s just a fact.

Hey, don't go feeling too special, you weren't the only chick to turn O'Neal down, just the hottest. 

He had a great time playing the recruiting game by himself. I think Clemson moving on from him was the reason for his Venables tweet. 

21 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

his Venables tweet.  

For those like me who missed this 10 seconds of 2018 recruiting drama and are too lazy to google it, I did and found out he called Venables a liar, or more specifically, he called out his "lyin ass".  It seems Leon was skeptical that both he and another recruit would really get to blitz on their first play at Clemson, as promised by coach.  I mean, I would certainly be skeptical if a coach recruiting me told me he would send me on a blitz on my first play at his school.  As safety playing for a DC who loves to blitz, how likely is that, really.

A manifesto from Daddy98:

Now Look, in order to give Criticism, you must be willing to Give praise and in order to praise, you must be willing to Criticize and if not, you aren't being honest. I have been since Jimbo's hired a Staunch Supporter. He's impressed me at every level. Our team is playing good football and the development of Mond has been impressive.

From reviewing the tape, Elko and our defense severly let us down. We gave up 31 points to Bama in the First half (it was over at that point). We cut it to 13-21 with 2 minutes left and Tua went 2 minutes and it was like slicing warm butter against our secondary.

There are many positives I see on the team. Mond running the ball, the Off line actually did a really good job. They got hat on hat and were not being driven backwards 2 yards like they did a few years ago with Kevin Sumlin in CS. our Front 6 is really good. We stuff the run and we do it well.

the Atrocious aspect is Def back particularly Safety and pass rush.

Let me get to the basics of Love here and not sugar coat. I have argued with Thrill over this and I am going to rant again.

We aren't getting any pass rush. 0, nada. Let's first off start with what we know. We had a guy named Landis Durham who last year had double digit sacks. Is he a high caliber juice guy? No, but he reminds me of Michael Sam. he gets off the ball very well, he gets off low, and he comes around the arc and he has a nice cut back move when the qb steps up. He sets up the off tackle well and because he comes off low it's hard for off tackles to get into his pads.

Well, go and review what we are doing. A: he's in a 2 point stance. Not a power 2 point stance like Von Miller coming off the ball low and hard like LT but in more of a flat footed stance. Maybe we are asking him to play 2 gap, maybe we just want him to read the qb, etc. I don't know. But the reason we aren't getting a rush is we don't have enough guys in the box on 3rd and long within a striking distance to get to the qb and our weakside speed rusher is not in a position to come off the ball fast which plays into the off tackles strength.

In fact, if you go back and see the first 3rd down Tua and Bama didn't complete we showed 4 man rush with both lb's in the A Gap (6 men at the los) and they bailed but because they showed blitz it caused Bama to miss some guys and we got pressure and Tua scrambled to the left and over threw his wideout. We are playing as conservative a we can. In fact, if you asked me, Elko is playing like a ***** defense. I'm tired of seeing us play so lacks. Is he smart, sure. Is this Wake Forest, no. We have a lot more talent than them. Play to our strengths and quit playing scared defense. Let's play offensive defense meaning dictate to the offense what they are going to do vs reacting to what they want to do. Soft zone, and guys way off the los. This is a hey, we are worried you are going to beat us deep (Which by the way is exactly what they did) so we are going to play zone with 7-8 guys dropping in coverage and we just let Tua pick us apart. Fugg you, if you don't knock a qb that's slicing and dicing you on his ass at least a few times you are just rolling over Clayton Williams Style. . you can't blitz effectively, if you don't have anyone near the los. If you do , you have exactly what we are showing and that's having a safety blitz coming from 10 yards out and never get to the los by the time the qb passes. Yeah, his defense reminded me a great deal of Mark Snyder. the best blitz teams (Bud Foster, Dick Lebeau) show 6 or 7 guys near the los to make a threat whether they come or not. We want those off linemen shitting in their pants wondering who's coming and who they have to scramble to get their hands on.

Landis Durham on 3rd and long and you don't let him come up the field low and hard, I don't know what to say. Same with Jerry Martin. Flat footed 2 point stance and the off tackle has one kick step before he's coming forward. You have the Fastest, quickest guy in the front 4 going up against 6'5 310 off tackles and you are taking away his greatest Competitive advantage which is GETOFF. That's why your olb/wde is smaller and faster to make the off tackle say "oh chit' it's not because they are worried about a 240 lb guy running them over. It's because they are worried about the guy blowing by them.

Yes, I rewatched every play in the first half and it's like watching a 3 man rush every play with a olb that occasionally comes and just about the time he's getting to the tackle and playing patty cake bakers man the qb is throwing. bring some guys to the los and show blitz and let your edge whorre's come up field hard and in a hurry. If you were Von Miller, you would be taking away his single greatest talent advantage by playing him flat footed. We can't just rush the passer with 2 gap interior def linemen. there's a reason we have what 1 sack in 4 games.

I'll talk more about the db's later. But I would no question press with the outside guys and maybe press that tight end. play at least one safety 25 yards deep and then depending on the numbers let the 2nd safety come up or play back half but with man underneath. Quit having safeties that run 4.7 covering 4.4 kids at 40 yards down the field by themselves. Have that 6'2 corner pop that guy and then if the qb wants to throw over the top well that safety that's deep will come over and hit him in the sternum and make him squirm. we played into a speedy receiver's game and did it with our slowest guys, the safeties.

qb. Kellen Mond. Really came into his own running. Needs to run more. I think Hop mentioned this and is correct, Mond doesn't read through progressions overly fast. he's a read 1, read 2 guy. After that he tends to freeze. We need to have him check 1, check 2, haul arse. our off line really gave him a decent pocket most of the night. Sutherland was a candy arse on one play but other than that, he had a solid first half. Carson Green did a good job and so did Dan Moore. After 4 seconds you aren't going to keep Bama from getting to the pocket. Mond played okay but he ran exceptionally well and left another 40+ yards on the table by hesitating and waiting too long. In fact, he waited too long. BAma didn't have a lot of speed rush they just had a lot of physical def linemen that eventually collapsed the pocket. Mond probably runs the ball better in traffic than T Williams.

ol. Again, for as much criticism as they get. They got hat on hat most of the night. The rb didn't do good jobs of thundering through the hole. 7 Sacks seems like a lot but we threw it a lot and Mond didn't run quickly enough to where it allowed a lot of coverage sacks. Sutherland had a really bad miss on a nose tackle that looped around at first. The rest weren't terrible. We were getting hat on hat on the running game. hard to fault after that. Bama plays with superior strong guys and if you get hat on hat you have to have a back that can beat one unblocked guy and actually finish a run. I couldn't get over how many times a lb or safety literally dropped him like a stone.

rb. We have said this. T Williams is a leader and he pass blocks well (this can't be underappreciated). he's not good for the SEC in most situations as a pure runner. He's a scat back and is effective in space and at the 2nd level. When you get hat on hat and there is on free defender, that one free defender takes him down immediately right there without another inch gained. He's got to hit the hole quicker, harder, and with more power. If you go back and watch the tape, it was very obvious. Very surprised we aren't seeing V Jackson or someone to bring some power. I also believe he gained weight to be more of a SEC back and lost some quickness. TO me, that's his best skillset, he needs to be good in space. As Kendall said, S Carter the star nickel #5 literally ragged him down and threw him like a cowboy. I have the screen shot and discussed it with playmaker. I don't know why he runs so soft at the first level. once he gets in the open field T Williams tends to run better but he's really not good at all with defenses that stack the box. I'm very surprised Jimbo has not rotated more rb's. I know the kid is a leader, he's had some really good games and I am a big fan that's pulling for him, but against a team that's going to play gap assignment you have to have a guy that can finish a run or you keep having 1 foot gained when there was no penetration and hat on hat.

te Jace Sturnberger. Really don't think we got the ball to him enough but mostly because we had no run threat to get to the gap between the lb's and safeties. the te play was beautiful. our offense to me works so much better with 2 tights because they are both NFL guys. however, Mond does better when the defense is more spread out. Thrill asked me if they were jamming him and I didn't take notice much when I reviewed the tape but from watching 4-5 plays I saw Jace get a free release most of the time. So they obviously covered us better down the field than our guys could in the spring game or we were not targeting him enough.

rec. I thought we played okay. The only play I thought our effort needed to be better was on the pick by Surtain on Quartney Davis on the post. Quartney ran a good route. Surtain and his bad self just out whataburgered him but Quartney's got to do a better job getting to that ball and setting up Surtain on the outside vs giving him inside leverage. Kenric Rogers may not be the most consistent but he has the most physical competitive advantage vs high measureable db's. We need to target him more often when we play the stud defensive teams. in the SEC, you need to have something that you have that physically causes a problem for a db. Whether it's height, top end speed, super cuts/quickness, or the ability to break a jam. Kenric has the best catch radius, pretty good speed, and he's physical. He may not always be consistent but when you are in a pinch throw it up to him. That back shoulder play was close to scoring. Surtain is probably the next high first round corner that Bama has. he's awesome. I wanted to hire his dad if it meant we would get him. Ausbon doesn't run fast enough to drop balls. I expect Dylan Wright to push these guys next year. AS folks stated we need so badly one of those Bama/lsu type of wideout that can get down the field. We just don't do a great job of targeting guys that can really run. Still don't see that solved in this class. Dylan Wright is a better, faster Ausbon. Kam and Chase are closer but they lack enough game breaking speed to be scary. AT least from what I have seen on tape. They are fast but will they be the type that makes Bama or LSU go, I better not let that guy by? DJ Chark, D Dillon, D Smith, T Cleveland, A Calloway, J Jeudy, C Ridley. Someone that runs like that.

dl. If you go and watch the NFL, NCAA, whatever. The position that gets the most sacks typically are the Edge Ho's. We don't have any. We play 3 2 gap guys and a sam olb/rush olb depending on the alignment of the offense. We have him in a flat footed position where he's not coming off the ball like a cheetah. as I told Playmaker, if you want to do that on 1st down and 2nd and long on run downs to try to keep a 2 gap look that's one thing. But it's absolutely brainless to have them doing this on rush downs. You say, well that's just how we do it. Well it's not smart. I stated it wasn't smart after the spring game but was going to give it time. Well here we are and our double digit sack guy has 0 sacks and looks like a avg dude out there. Seriously, if he quit and red shirted and transferred to a place that played him as a rush guy he might actually leave his Collegiate career with a NFL look. he's not effective one bit on the edge. And Jerry Martin a 36 sack sr de is in the same boat. I don't understand what Elko's strategy is and Yeah, it bothers me when you watch TUA set back with all day and not once did he get knocked on his tail. Go watch D Mack, Keke, and Madu the slender and we have 3 pretty fair def linemen that are double dippers and all could be NFL guys. They aren't heavey sack guys but they generate push and with their length cause Bama's run game to be stifled. DAylon MAck is playing the best ball of anyone at dl. Bobby Brown. young man has no quickness (for you wonderful). We can't play him at 5 tech. play Max Wright and Move Bobby Brown to nose and nose shade. he's a 2 gap nose/ dt. Not quick enough for the edge. Watched him extensively and his quickness off the ball needs work.

lb. We really have 2 good ilb's in Dodson and Alaka. Alaka I would actually use to rush more on nickel situations because he's a solid rush guy. Buddy played some rush and didn't look bad either. I like our front 6 although we have no depth at lb. For everyone that says we need to get faster on the edge. We do but we won't get pass rush if we keep having them in a flat footed stance when they are 6'3 240 and run a 4.6 and you make them delay at the snap.

Db's. Here's the fun part. our corners aren't being used to me as effective as we should. like it or not, Chavis recruited long corners to press. I counted on one hand how often we pressed and never went across the board. Let me see, you got: Charles Oliver 6'2.5, Debo 6'3, Myles Jones 6'4, T Fuller 6', and Chatman 6'4.5 and we have them playing 10 yards off. Okay, that's fine if you are trying to to disguise but at some point you have to play to your strengths and quit playing scared. Elko loves zone. Zone is great but Zone is what you do at Wake forest. Tx A&M can run press man and that's what we have. Hey, you are recruiting Wolfe, Young, Carter. Those guys aren't 5'9 flip floppers. Those guys are 5'11.5 to 6'1 corners with good makeup speed but their best trait is knoccking the piss out of a wideout at the los. The few times we pressed vs Bama and we did well.

Alabama is full of skinny, smaller faster receivers. We have physical, long press guys. put a safety back 25 yards and then let the corners go and get those beautiful mitts on those skinny guys and try to make them scared. That's what Nick Saban would do to his receivers. Even with that said corners aren't playing bad ball.

the safety position as we discussed is so bad right now in coverage we can't coach around it. We need to try different guys. Larry Pryor single handedly cost us the 21-13 score to 28-13. They got like 40 yards on a wheel route. Larry's at the left hash and Tua is staring down D Harris as he's coming out of the back field and Pryor is staying put and not getting wider. once the ball is thrown Larry's 6 yards from the sideline and gave Damien Harris too much sideline to make a move. Larry, squeeze that. Really poor play particularly with help to the inside.

Then on the td pass the Tight end releases and Larry couldn't catch him in a dead sprint. Not a small te but a te that's more of a run blocker. If you can't as a safety make up speed to be close enough you can't play. Because what will you do on a wideout?

Again my suggestion is with Debo's physicality let's try him at FS and let's see if we can get a 3rd corner on the field full time and help the coverage requirements for safety. Elko has many plays where the safety is covering a wideout for a deep half. We ran a lot of Cover 2, Cover 3, and quarters. When we are in Cover 2 or Cover 4 (which converts to Cover 2 if the outside receivers break it short) then that safety has the entire half to cover. the first td against Donovan was on that.

Our Kicker is really something else. Seth Small. He's stone cold. I like him. A lot of confidence.

Jimbo is leading us in the right path but I can certainly guarantee you, he's riding Elko's 2 million per year arse all week for that terrible game plan. Way too scared and played into Bama's strength which is vertical speed, safeties in deep coverage, and noone near the los to disguise blitz and if you blitz you might actually hit the qb. If Bama doesn't sit Tua they could have named their score. We played them a lot closer than that. the defensive formations need to be altered to be able to get to the qb quicker. the one Great excuse is losing Donovan (Again) greatly hurt and took us off our packages which we further exposed what we don't do well and that's cover at safety particularly with our backups. Elko might need to play to what his talent is which is long cover guys and let those boys get up in receivers face and kill them. You don't ask Mel Blount to play off. our corners look like him.

Recruiting will solve a lot..

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

A manifesto from Daddy98:

Hide contents

Now Look, in order to give Criticism, you must be willing to Give praise and in order to praise, you must be willing to Criticize and if not, you aren't being honest. I have been since Jimbo's hired a Staunch Supporter. He's impressed me at every level. Our team is playing good football and the development of Mond has been impressive.

From reviewing the tape, Elko and our defense severly let us down. We gave up 31 points to Bama in the First half (it was over at that point). We cut it to 13-21 with 2 minutes left and Tua went 2 minutes and it was like slicing warm butter against our secondary.

There are many positives I see on the team. Mond running the ball, the Off line actually did a really good job. They got hat on hat and were not being driven backwards 2 yards like they did a few years ago with Kevin Sumlin in CS. our Front 6 is really good. We stuff the run and we do it well.

the Atrocious aspect is Def back particularly Safety and pass rush.

Let me get to the basics of Love here and not sugar coat. I have argued with Thrill over this and I am going to rant again.

We aren't getting any pass rush. 0, nada. Let's first off start with what we know. We had a guy named Landis Durham who last year had double digit sacks. Is he a high caliber juice guy? No, but he reminds me of Michael Sam. he gets off the ball very well, he gets off low, and he comes around the arc and he has a nice cut back move when the qb steps up. He sets up the off tackle well and because he comes off low it's hard for off tackles to get into his pads.

Well, go and review what we are doing. A: he's in a 2 point stance. Not a power 2 point stance like Von Miller coming off the ball low and hard like LT but in more of a flat footed stance. Maybe we are asking him to play 2 gap, maybe we just want him to read the qb, etc. I don't know. But the reason we aren't getting a rush is we don't have enough guys in the box on 3rd and long within a striking distance to get to the qb and our weakside speed rusher is not in a position to come off the ball fast which plays into the off tackles strength.

In fact, if you go back and see the first 3rd down Tua and Bama didn't complete we showed 4 man rush with both lb's in the A Gap (6 men at the los) and they bailed but because they showed blitz it caused Bama to miss some guys and we got pressure and Tua scrambled to the left and over threw his wideout. We are playing as conservative a we can. In fact, if you asked me, Elko is playing like a ***** defense. I'm tired of seeing us play so lacks. Is he smart, sure. Is this Wake Forest, no. We have a lot more talent than them. Play to our strengths and quit playing scared defense. Let's play offensive defense meaning dictate to the offense what they are going to do vs reacting to what they want to do. Soft zone, and guys way off the los. This is a hey, we are worried you are going to beat us deep (Which by the way is exactly what they did) so we are going to play zone with 7-8 guys dropping in coverage and we just let Tua pick us apart. Fugg you, if you don't knock a qb that's slicing and dicing you on his ass at least a few times you are just rolling over Clayton Williams Style. . you can't blitz effectively, if you don't have anyone near the los. If you do , you have exactly what we are showing and that's having a safety blitz coming from 10 yards out and never get to the los by the time the qb passes. Yeah, his defense reminded me a great deal of Mark Snyder. the best blitz teams (Bud Foster, Dick Lebeau) show 6 or 7 guys near the los to make a threat whether they come or not. We want those off linemen shitting in their pants wondering who's coming and who they have to scramble to get their hands on.

Landis Durham on 3rd and long and you don't let him come up the field low and hard, I don't know what to say. Same with Jerry Martin. Flat footed 2 point stance and the off tackle has one kick step before he's coming forward. You have the Fastest, quickest guy in the front 4 going up against 6'5 310 off tackles and you are taking away his greatest Competitive advantage which is GETOFF. That's why your olb/wde is smaller and faster to make the off tackle say "oh chit' it's not because they are worried about a 240 lb guy running them over. It's because they are worried about the guy blowing by them.

Yes, I rewatched every play in the first half and it's like watching a 3 man rush every play with a olb that occasionally comes and just about the time he's getting to the tackle and playing patty cake bakers man the qb is throwing. bring some guys to the los and show blitz and let your edge whorre's come up field hard and in a hurry. If you were Von Miller, you would be taking away his single greatest talent advantage by playing him flat footed. We can't just rush the passer with 2 gap interior def linemen. there's a reason we have what 1 sack in 4 games.

I'll talk more about the db's later. But I would no question press with the outside guys and maybe press that tight end. play at least one safety 25 yards deep and then depending on the numbers let the 2nd safety come up or play back half but with man underneath. Quit having safeties that run 4.7 covering 4.4 kids at 40 yards down the field by themselves. Have that 6'2 corner pop that guy and then if the qb wants to throw over the top well that safety that's deep will come over and hit him in the sternum and make him squirm. we played into a speedy receiver's game and did it with our slowest guys, the safeties.

qb. Kellen Mond. Really came into his own running. Needs to run more. I think Hop mentioned this and is correct, Mond doesn't read through progressions overly fast. he's a read 1, read 2 guy. After that he tends to freeze. We need to have him check 1, check 2, haul arse. our off line really gave him a decent pocket most of the night. Sutherland was a candy arse on one play but other than that, he had a solid first half. Carson Green did a good job and so did Dan Moore. After 4 seconds you aren't going to keep Bama from getting to the pocket. Mond played okay but he ran exceptionally well and left another 40+ yards on the table by hesitating and waiting too long. In fact, he waited too long. BAma didn't have a lot of speed rush they just had a lot of physical def linemen that eventually collapsed the pocket. Mond probably runs the ball better in traffic than T Williams.

ol. Again, for as much criticism as they get. They got hat on hat most of the night. The rb didn't do good jobs of thundering through the hole. 7 Sacks seems like a lot but we threw it a lot and Mond didn't run quickly enough to where it allowed a lot of coverage sacks. Sutherland had a really bad miss on a nose tackle that looped around at first. The rest weren't terrible. We were getting hat on hat on the running game. hard to fault after that. Bama plays with superior strong guys and if you get hat on hat you have to have a back that can beat one unblocked guy and actually finish a run. I couldn't get over how many times a lb or safety literally dropped him like a stone.

rb. We have said this. T Williams is a leader and he pass blocks well (this can't be underappreciated). he's not good for the SEC in most situations as a pure runner. He's a scat back and is effective in space and at the 2nd level. When you get hat on hat and there is on free defender, that one free defender takes him down immediately right there without another inch gained. He's got to hit the hole quicker, harder, and with more power. If you go back and watch the tape, it was very obvious. Very surprised we aren't seeing V Jackson or someone to bring some power. I also believe he gained weight to be more of a SEC back and lost some quickness. TO me, that's his best skillset, he needs to be good in space. As Kendall said, S Carter the star nickel #5 literally ragged him down and threw him like a cowboy. I have the screen shot and discussed it with playmaker. I don't know why he runs so soft at the first level. once he gets in the open field T Williams tends to run better but he's really not good at all with defenses that stack the box. I'm very surprised Jimbo has not rotated more rb's. I know the kid is a leader, he's had some really good games and I am a big fan that's pulling for him, but against a team that's going to play gap assignment you have to have a guy that can finish a run or you keep having 1 foot gained when there was no penetration and hat on hat.

te Jace Sturnberger. Really don't think we got the ball to him enough but mostly because we had no run threat to get to the gap between the lb's and safeties. the te play was beautiful. our offense to me works so much better with 2 tights because they are both NFL guys. however, Mond does better when the defense is more spread out. Thrill asked me if they were jamming him and I didn't take notice much when I reviewed the tape but from watching 4-5 plays I saw Jace get a free release most of the time. So they obviously covered us better down the field than our guys could in the spring game or we were not targeting him enough.

rec. I thought we played okay. The only play I thought our effort needed to be better was on the pick by Surtain on Quartney Davis on the post. Quartney ran a good route. Surtain and his bad self just out whataburgered him but Quartney's got to do a better job getting to that ball and setting up Surtain on the outside vs giving him inside leverage. Kenric Rogers may not be the most consistent but he has the most physical competitive advantage vs high measureable db's. We need to target him more often when we play the stud defensive teams. in the SEC, you need to have something that you have that physically causes a problem for a db. Whether it's height, top end speed, super cuts/quickness, or the ability to break a jam. Kenric has the best catch radius, pretty good speed, and he's physical. He may not always be consistent but when you are in a pinch throw it up to him. That back shoulder play was close to scoring. Surtain is probably the next high first round corner that Bama has. he's awesome. I wanted to hire his dad if it meant we would get him. Ausbon doesn't run fast enough to drop balls. I expect Dylan Wright to push these guys next year. AS folks stated we need so badly one of those Bama/lsu type of wideout that can get down the field. We just don't do a great job of targeting guys that can really run. Still don't see that solved in this class. Dylan Wright is a better, faster Ausbon. Kam and Chase are closer but they lack enough game breaking speed to be scary. AT least from what I have seen on tape. They are fast but will they be the type that makes Bama or LSU go, I better not let that guy by? DJ Chark, D Dillon, D Smith, T Cleveland, A Calloway, J Jeudy, C Ridley. Someone that runs like that.

dl. If you go and watch the NFL, NCAA, whatever. The position that gets the most sacks typically are the Edge Ho's. We don't have any. We play 3 2 gap guys and a sam olb/rush olb depending on the alignment of the offense. We have him in a flat footed position where he's not coming off the ball like a cheetah. as I told Playmaker, if you want to do that on 1st down and 2nd and long on run downs to try to keep a 2 gap look that's one thing. But it's absolutely brainless to have them doing this on rush downs. You say, well that's just how we do it. Well it's not smart. I stated it wasn't smart after the spring game but was going to give it time. Well here we are and our double digit sack guy has 0 sacks and looks like a avg dude out there. Seriously, if he quit and red shirted and transferred to a place that played him as a rush guy he might actually leave his Collegiate career with a NFL look. he's not effective one bit on the edge. And Jerry Martin a 36 sack sr de is in the same boat. I don't understand what Elko's strategy is and Yeah, it bothers me when you watch TUA set back with all day and not once did he get knocked on his tail. Go watch D Mack, Keke, and Madu the slender and we have 3 pretty fair def linemen that are double dippers and all could be NFL guys. They aren't heavey sack guys but they generate push and with their length cause Bama's run game to be stifled. DAylon MAck is playing the best ball of anyone at dl. Bobby Brown. young man has no quickness (for you wonderful). We can't play him at 5 tech. play Max Wright and Move Bobby Brown to nose and nose shade. he's a 2 gap nose/ dt. Not quick enough for the edge. Watched him extensively and his quickness off the ball needs work.

lb. We really have 2 good ilb's in Dodson and Alaka. Alaka I would actually use to rush more on nickel situations because he's a solid rush guy. Buddy played some rush and didn't look bad either. I like our front 6 although we have no depth at lb. For everyone that says we need to get faster on the edge. We do but we won't get pass rush if we keep having them in a flat footed stance when they are 6'3 240 and run a 4.6 and you make them delay at the snap.

Db's. Here's the fun part. our corners aren't being used to me as effective as we should. like it or not, Chavis recruited long corners to press. I counted on one hand how often we pressed and never went across the board. Let me see, you got: Charles Oliver 6'2.5, Debo 6'3, Myles Jones 6'4, T Fuller 6', and Chatman 6'4.5 and we have them playing 10 yards off. Okay, that's fine if you are trying to to disguise but at some point you have to play to your strengths and quit playing scared. Elko loves zone. Zone is great but Zone is what you do at Wake forest. Tx A&M can run press man and that's what we have. Hey, you are recruiting Wolfe, Young, Carter. Those guys aren't 5'9 flip floppers. Those guys are 5'11.5 to 6'1 corners with good makeup speed but their best trait is knoccking the piss out of a wideout at the los. The few times we pressed vs Bama and we did well.

Alabama is full of skinny, smaller faster receivers. We have physical, long press guys. put a safety back 25 yards and then let the corners go and get those beautiful mitts on those skinny guys and try to make them scared. That's what Nick Saban would do to his receivers. Even with that said corners aren't playing bad ball.

the safety position as we discussed is so bad right now in coverage we can't coach around it. We need to try different guys. Larry Pryor single handedly cost us the 21-13 score to 28-13. They got like 40 yards on a wheel route. Larry's at the left hash and Tua is staring down D Harris as he's coming out of the back field and Pryor is staying put and not getting wider. once the ball is thrown Larry's 6 yards from the sideline and gave Damien Harris too much sideline to make a move. Larry, squeeze that. Really poor play particularly with help to the inside.

Then on the td pass the Tight end releases and Larry couldn't catch him in a dead sprint. Not a small te but a te that's more of a run blocker. If you can't as a safety make up speed to be close enough you can't play. Because what will you do on a wideout?

Again my suggestion is with Debo's physicality let's try him at FS and let's see if we can get a 3rd corner on the field full time and help the coverage requirements for safety. Elko has many plays where the safety is covering a wideout for a deep half. We ran a lot of Cover 2, Cover 3, and quarters. When we are in Cover 2 or Cover 4 (which converts to Cover 2 if the outside receivers break it short) then that safety has the entire half to cover. the first td against Donovan was on that.

Our Kicker is really something else. Seth Small. He's stone cold. I like him. A lot of confidence.

Jimbo is leading us in the right path but I can certainly guarantee you, he's riding Elko's 2 million per year arse all week for that terrible game plan. Way too scared and played into Bama's strength which is vertical speed, safeties in deep coverage, and noone near the los to disguise blitz and if you blitz you might actually hit the qb. If Bama doesn't sit Tua they could have named their score. We played them a lot closer than that. the defensive formations need to be altered to be able to get to the qb quicker. the one Great excuse is losing Donovan (Again) greatly hurt and took us off our packages which we further exposed what we don't do well and that's cover at safety particularly with our backups. Elko might need to play to what his talent is which is long cover guys and let those boys get up in receivers face and kill them. You don't ask Mel Blount to play off. our corners look like him.

Recruiting will solve a lot..

I think he wrote and edited  this on his high quality pit skins. 

58 minutes ago, Scholz said:

"We played them a lot closer than that."

That's all he had to say.  A lot of words to say "moral victory".

A lot of Alabama's games are seemingly more competitive than their final scores indicate.  That's what they do.  They wear you out and then run up the score in the 4th.   The timeline was just a bit more accelerated against aggy and they pulled their starters in the third.   I don't understand any moral victories in that game.

• Like 1

It’s hilarious watching them beat their chests about how close they played Bama. They played their damn 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 3rd quarter bc of how badly they were winning.  Fucking hilarious how they’ve turned that into a moral victory.  Gonna love it when Kentucky brings them back to reality.

10 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

A lot of Alabama's games are seemingly more competitive than their final scores indicate.  That's what they do.  They wear you out and then run up the score in the 4th.   The timeline was just a bit more accelerated against aggy and they pulled their starters in the third.   I don't understand any moral victories in that game.

Duh. aggys covered the 4-TD line. National title.

20 hours ago, victory88 said:

It’s hilarious watching them beat their chests about how close they played Bama. They played their damn 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 3rd quarter bc of how badly they were winning.  Fucking hilarious how they’ve turned that into a moral victory.  Gonna love it when Kentucky brings them back to reality.

Do those fucktards not remember only losing to Alabama last year by 9?

On 9/23/2018 at 5:44 PM, GotThatFire said:

How could you not know?  That game is going to be one of Aggy's biggest moral victories of the season.  They may put it on the wall.  Pretty sure Jimbo received a plaque after the game ran out of time.   

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

How could you not know?  That game is going to be one of Aggy's biggest moral victories of the season.  They may put it on the wall.  Pretty sure Jimbo received a plaque after the game ran out of time.   

Technically, aggy has already played a big role in Alabama’s National Championships since joining the SEC. You can kind of consider them part of the team.

18 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I already didn’t pay attention to aggy. Then they ran to sec,  which I also don’t pay attention to. Then it was like, doubly don’t pay attention.  I thought they were playing Arkansas 

28 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Technically, aggy has already played a big role in Alabama’s National Championships since joining the SEC. You can kind of consider them part of the team.

Huh.  Maybe they should change their name to Bama Scout Team from Texum All District Bulldogs.

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

well I know he's not talking about O'Neal here,  guess the other safety is a little faster than him

Come on, it's clear he's talking about Donovan Wilson. Wait, I bet he means Derrick Tucker. Could be Larry Pryor or Buddy Johnson -- oh yeah they got spun down to LB. Well, I guess he could be talking about Deshawn Capers-Smith. Or maybe Keldric Carper.  Could he be talking about Montel Parker? No wait, it's the 2019 guys Brian Williams or Erick Young. 

Luckily their CB class has been full of burners to cover for the lack of speed at the S spot...  

giphy.gif

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tyrell Dodson tweeted "I'm out" and the aggy boards are in panic mode.

That would be a huge loss for them - they're already crazy short on LB's.   If he's transferring - he must really fucking hate Jimbo/Elko.

*Nevermind - looks like he's just leaving twitter for awhile.  Tenn fans were all up in his mentions.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

On 9/23/2018 at 9:13 PM, texasstrong12 said:

"Bama could not run us" 

It's almost like their QB was busy throwing for a billion yards. 

One of those "passes" was a jet sweep that went 60 yards for a touchdown. It wasn't as impressive of a run defense as they choose to believe. 

15 hours ago, Vertigo said:

One of those "passes" was a jet sweep that went 60 yards for a touchdown. It wasn't as impressive of a run defense as they choose to believe. 

Stupid sip. Holding Bama's running backs to 7.4 and 5.4 yards per carry is the same as dominating the line of scrimmage because this is a "historically good" Crimson Tide team.

That's like holding anyone else in the country under 2 YPC because SEC SEC SEC.