Buffalo Bills moving to Austin?

TexasMan

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree 100%.

I've had to stand outside for several hours in the cold of the northern plains on many occasions.  It's just a matter of wearing more clothes and not being a bitch.

If I could go back in time to any sporting event I wasn't alive for, some of those old Met Stadium games would be at the top of my list.

I worked and traveled in Norway for many years. A great expression I learned there is “there’s no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.”

Just now, nnm said:

I worked and traveled in Norway for many years. A great expression I learned there is “there’s no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.”

It really is true.  There's gear out there to make anything tolerable.

I think that's why those of us from more northern locales tend to bitch at summer heat more than winter cold.  When it's -10 you just add a layer of protection.  When it's 100, you just have to deal with it.

Were I the stadium architect for an NFL venue, I would add little 10x10 paddocks very few sections where fans could brawl without falling over seats or injuring innocent attendees.  

i suppose since the Bills aren’t coming here, we can shut down this thread and take soccer, NFL, stadium, etc talk to myriad other existing threads.  

I don’t blame buffalo ownership for leveraging Austin, among other entities, to get their free money from stupid people.  I could go either way on an NFL franchise to Austin.  I doubt it ever happens, we’ll get NHL or MLB long before that…if ever.  

But it did make Me finally understand the NFL is just scratch—off tickets and menthols for the middle class.  They fuck over everybody from the tax base to the loyal fan. But people “take it” because the product looks exciting and fast.  At least NASCAR has the decency to admit their grift.  

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is part of the SoFi price the cost of the land? I can't even comprehend what else could add $3B to the price for a stadium that isn't any fancier than the other new wave stadiums.

I would think a part of the $$ for building a stadium in LA is making it "earthquake" proof.  

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree 100%.

I've had to stand outside for several hours in the cold of the northern plains on many occasions.  It's just a matter of wearing more clothes and not being a bitch.

If I could go back in time to any sporting event I wasn't alive for, some of those old Met Stadium games would be at the top of my list.

Those old NFL films showing the old Met Stadium Vikings were cool as hell.  Seeing Eller and Page slowly get down in the stance with steam coming from their nostrils was classic.  

SWCFROG

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SWCFROG said:

Those old NFL films showing the old Met Stadium Vikings were cool as hell.  Seeing Eller and Page slowly get down in the stance with steam coming from their nostrils was classic.  

SWCFROG

I used to work with some guys (still friends with them) who are in their mid 60's and had season tickets up there in the 70's.  They just wax nostalgic when they talk about going to those games.

One of them even has part of a bleacher that they ripped out at the final game.  Apparently the last Vikings game there kind of turned into a psuedo riot where people just started taking literally anything they could.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

world cup football GIF

soccer injuries GIF

neymar GIF

ligue 1 football GIF by beIN SPORTS

Soccer Player GIF

Fail Melbourne City GIF by Hyundai A-League

Tired take.  Even soccer fans think blatant untouched flops like that are bullshit.  Flops like that are rare enough that you have to look for them on youtube, etc...  Most games go on without one and most of the ones you see regularly are the same shit you see in basketball and occasionally football.  A guy commits a minor foul and you exaggerate the effect of it to make sure it's visible.  It was a foul anyway, but the flop makes sure the ref sees it.  Not even a soccer fan would support the rare untouched theatrical flop.

A few NFL flops just from last season

NBA flops:

2 hours ago, SWCFROG said:

That and the flamethrowers thawing out the field. Awesome. 

I once attended a Temple game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly.  Although their crowds are pretty weak and it was a 2:30 kickoff, I noticed several RVs with Eagles graphics in the parking lot that showed up for tailgating before the Temple game, presumably to tailgate through the weekend.  Imagine doing that at DKR, except it would be the other way around, with the hungover post-UT game crowd partying into Sunday morning and then hitting the NFL game.
Also, we need to import representatives of the Bills Mafia for the purpose of making sure the tailgate game is lit for the new team.
The giant longhorn cutout in the sez of DKR automatically makes it unattractive to any NFL team wanting to promote their own brand. Guess they could cover it with a giant tarp (or several) but can't change all the burnt orange in the rest of the stadium.

Stupid folks in Buffalo didn’t think to call Jerry and Cal. There’s reasons Texas has two franchises and won’t be a third. A move requires a lot of approvals by the league. Plus this dude owns the Sabres I believe. He ain’t moving. If the NFL reshuffled cities Buffalo wouldn’t have a team. What a shitburg.

29 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 8/2/2021 at 6:42 AM, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:
I once attended a Temple game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly.  Although their crowds are pretty weak and it was a 2:30 kickoff, I noticed several RVs with Eagles graphics in the parking lot that showed up for tailgating before the Temple game, presumably to tailgate through the weekend.  Imagine doing that at DKR, except it would be the other way around, with the hungover post-UT game crowd partying into Sunday morning and then hitting the NFL game.
Also, we need to import representatives of the Bills Mafia for the purpose of making sure the tailgate game is lit for the new team.

The giant longhorn cutout in the sez of DKR automatically makes it unattractive to any NFL team wanting to promote their own brand. Guess they could cover it with a giant tarp (or several) but can't change all the burnt orange in the rest of the stadium.

It was a non-starter from the beginning, but they were never gonna "house" themselves at DKR-TMS, aside from maybe first 2-3 seasons while they built out a new home either East or South of Austin.  It was all a ruse to siphon off money from New York stupid people.  Who apparently, just as stupid as our stupid people.  

Good news on this bed of lies is it gets us more experience so when the day comes we talk MLB or NHL franchise relocate, we'll be a tiny bit wiser.  

I know, I know...Austin is too small to host a major team aside from MLS.  It'll only be 3 million people MSA by the end of the decade/2032 at latest.  Easily twice the size of MSA's like New Orleans, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, et. al.  And still significantly larger than Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Portland, and Baltimore (in a few years anyway).  And they all have 1, or more, pro franchises even aside from MLS.

But of course the big thing those cities have going for them is massive corporate/national brand growth that can afford naming rights, premium seat licenses, and executive suites/skyboxes.  This is where Austin just won't success for MLB or NHL purposes.  Austin just doesn't have that ability to attract national brands and leverage them into naming/sponsorship/suite rights.  If only big named companies would be planing a flag in Austin, they could get some leverage.  Alas, no companies are moving here.  We'll never be more alluring than Cincinnati.  Bills were never coming here, MLB or NHL will be.  Within 10 years.  Book it.  Maybe it'll be fun, maybe it'll be annoying.  But it's happening, even though our biggest company is just a car dealership.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know, I know...Austin is too small to host a major team aside from MLS.  It'll only be 3 million people MSA by the end of the decade/2032 at latest.  Easily twice the size of MSA's like New Orleans, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, et. al.  And still significantly larger than Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Portland, and Baltimore (in a few years anyway).  And they all have 1, or more, pro franchises even aside from MLS.

But of course the big thing those cities have going for them is massive corporate/national brand growth that can afford naming rights, premium seat licenses, and executive suites/skyboxes.  This is where Austin just won't success for MLB or NHL purposes.  Austin just doesn't have that ability to attract national brands and leverage them into naming/sponsorship/suite rights.  If only big named companies would be planing a flag in Austin, they could get some leverage.  Alas, no companies are moving here.  We'll never be more alluring than Cincinnati.  Bills were never coming here, MLB or NHL will be.  Within 10 years.  Book it.  Maybe it'll be fun, maybe it'll be annoying.  But it's happening, even though our biggest company is just a car dealership.

sarcastic-baby-im-picking-up-your-sarcas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It really is true.  There's gear out there to make anything tolerable.

I think that's why those of us from more northern locales tend to bitch at summer heat more than winter cold.  When it's -10 you just add a layer of protection.  When it's 100, you just have to deal with it.

This is when you learn valuable tactics like “cross the street to walk in the shade”, “park in the shitty spot if it’s in the shade”, and “I would rather stab your grandmother in the jugular with my keys than sit the fuck outside for lunch on this goddamn hipster patio full of d-bags”….

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:13 AM, Lobo said:

What is the minimum width and length of a professional/international pitch?  I know there's no precisely prescribed dimensions, but surely you can't just build a stadium that's 20 meters x 40 meters and say, "This is our field of play!"  

That might actually make soccer watchable.

This is when you learn valuable tactics like “cross the street to walk in the shade”, “park in the shitty spot if it’s in the shade”, and “I would rather stab your grandmother in the jugular with my keys than sit the fuck outside for lunch on this goddamn hipster patio full of d-bags”….

I’m well versed in all of these. Iowa’s worst quality is being home to all forms of weather. My grandparents always deployed those windshield sun blockers to keep us from dying when we got into their car in the summer.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:42 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

It always cracks me up to see Americans become die hard fans of European soccer teams and posting their chants and shits on social media.  It all feels so forced.

I don't mean to say that US soccer fans are faking it, especially towards the USMNT and MLS, but when it comes to Euro leagues, I just don't believe they can give that much of a shit at the end of the day, and it's a way to show how cultured they are.

Several of my students have claimed to be soccer fans.  And then I asked them something about pre-Austin MLS or NCAA soccer, and they say, "Oh, I don't pay attention to that stuff; I only like EPL."  

Which makes just shake my head.  YOU'RE ACTUALLY NOT A SOCCER FAN IF YOU ONLY FOLLOW ONE LEAGUE.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:54 PM, Tex Pete said:

You mean you weren't caught up in the soccer craze of the 1980s that assured us that soccer was the game of the future in America?!

Pretty sure that was the 70s.  Dallas Tornado games on prime time on WFAA in Dallas.  And...

philadelphia-atoms-goalie-bob-rigby-1973

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I used to work with some guys (still friends with them) who are in their mid 60's and had season tickets up there in the 70's.  They just wax nostalgic when they talk about going to those games.

One of them even has part of a bleacher that they ripped out at the final game.  Apparently the last Vikings game there kind of turned into a psuedo riot where people just started taking literally anything they could.

The Met was a dump. Better than the Metrodome debacle, but it was a dump. It was certainly better for baseball games (as that's what the stadium was built for) and I went to my fair share of Twins games with my dad or my grampa in the mid-late '70s (Rod Carew was a god to me).

Vikings games were a different story as they were harder to get tickets to as they were actually good at the time and Bloomington was a haul west in the old man's '73 Plymouth station wagon, especially come winter time. I have exactly one memory of a cold weather Vikings game. I would have been 6 or 7 years old which would have been '75 or '76 so right when they were at their peak. It wasn't the playoffs and my dad didn't have money for season tix (or generally even decent tix) so I think he got some from a co-worker of his by giving him a sob story about wanting to take his boy to a Vikings game for my birthday (late November). I remember being layered in every thing I had plus wrapping 2 or 3 of my gramma's hand knit wool scarves around my face. The worst part was telling my dad I had to take a leak and him leading me into a crowded pisser that would make Floyd Casey stadium in September smell good. I was standing there trying to find my frozen, little boy's pecker with frost bit fingers while lines of giant (to a little boy) men behind me cussed me out for taking too long to piss between swigs off whatever they had in their flasks. 

Somewhere I had autographs from Matt Blair (RIP #59), Joey Senser and Tommy Kramer. 

• Like 1

The Met was a dump. Better than the Metrodome debacle, but it was a dump. It was certainly better for baseball games (as that's what the stadium was built for) and I went to my fair share of Twins games with my dad or my grampa in the mid-late '70s (Rod Carew was a god to me).
Vikings games were a different story as they were harder to get tickets to as they were actually good at the time and Bloomington was a haul west in the old man's '73 Plymouth station wagon, especially come winter time. I have exactly one memory of a cold weather Vikings game. I would have been 6 or 7 years old which would have been '75 or '76 so right when they were at their peak. It wasn't the playoffs and my dad didn't have money for season tix (or generally even decent tix) so I think he got some from a co-worker of his by giving him a sob story about wanting to take his boy to a Vikings game for my birthday (late November). I remember being layered in every thing I had plus wrapping 2 or 3 of my gramma's hand knit wool scarves around my face. The worst part was telling my dad I had to take a leak and him leading me into a crowded pisser that would make Floyd Casey stadium in September smell good. I was standing there trying to find my frozen, little boy's pecker with frost bit fingers while lines of giant (to a little boy) men behind me cussed me out for taking too long to piss between swigs off whatever they had in their flasks. 
Somewhere I had autographs from Matt Blair (RIP #59), Joey Senser and Tommy Kramer. 

Matt Blair is my favorite Viking I never got to watch, for obvious reasons.

And you are making me incredibly jealous I missed out on this.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, Napoleon said:

Soccer was big in the U.S. in the 1920s, but with the creation of FIFA and their position of overlord of all things Soccer, a country compromised primarily of European immigrants or their children were not enthused about having a European based governing body, so soccer died out and the NFL slowly became a strong #2 behind baseball. 

Soccer is far and away the youth sport with the greatest participation and will continue its steady rise to the top in this country as the NBA and the NFL continue to try to spread their brand and sport (American Football) to other continents. 

No one is required to be a fan of any sport, but it’s comical to deny soccer’s continued ascent. 

Not in this country.  Not even close:

image.png.02e378cad32e4899c13660f1b3f36aee.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Vikings games were a different story as they were harder to get tickets to as they were actually good at the time and Bloomington was a haul west in the old man's '73 Plymouth station wagon, especially come winter time. I have exactly one memory of a cold weather Vikings game. I would have been 6 or 7 years old which would have been '75 or '76 so right when they were at their peak.

drew-pearson-hail-mary.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Matt Blair is my favorite Viking I never got to watch, for obvious reasons.

Blair was as good a guy as you could imagine. I got his autograph in '80 when they hosted a bunch of Cub scouts troops to an early (probably pre-) season game. Hundreds of snot nosed kids trying to get autographs. Kramer was an asshole and might have been drunk. But Blair took time to actually talk to us kids, ask us about scouting, what we liked about school. It might have been 30 seconds total but 40+ years later it still brings back that amazing feeling of meeting a hero. And his hands were the size of frying pans. I'll never forget the pen looking like a toothpick in his hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Which makes just shake my head.  YOU'RE ACTUALLY NOT A SOCCER FAN IF YOU ONLY FOLLOW ONE LEAGUE.  

Well, that sounds like a load of crap.

So, if I follow college football, but only FBS, not FCS, D-II, D-III and not high school or even the NFL...  I'm not a football fan?

• Like 1

Yet it's the hottest ticket in this town right now.

And I don't even fucking know your Mom!

Is it any surprise that a town like Austin is into soccer at the moment? It’s the trendiest thing to do, so of course it’s popular.

I am not a fan of soccer. To me, it is incredibly boring. I don’t watch MLS, I don’t watch World Cup, and I don’t watch any Euro leagues. The most soccer I’ve watched in my life was recently when I watched Ted Lasso. But if others like it, have a great time…just quit acting like you are better than people that don’t care about it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Yet it's the hottest ticket in this town right now.

It is really impressive that Austin FC tickets are harder to get right now than tickets for the Austin NBA team or the Austin NFL team or the Austin MLB team!

But just wait till the Austin Weirdos begin play!

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is it any surprise that a town like Austin is into soccer at the moment? It’s the trendiest thing to do, so of course it’s popular.

I am not a fan of soccer. To me, it is incredibly boring. I don’t watch MLS, I don’t watch World Cup, and I don’t watch any Euro leagues. The most soccer I’ve watched in my life was recently when I watched Ted Lasso. But if others like it, have a great time…just quit acting like you are better than people that don’t care about it.

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It is really impressive that Austin FC tickets are harder to get right now than tickets for the Austin NBA team or the Austin NFL team or the Austin MLB team!

But just wait till the Austin Weirdos begin play!

Hey I'm just the messenger.  But what do you think is a harder ticket to get right now? An Austin FC or a Texas Football, baseball or basketball ticket?  It's shocking to me honestly.  I played and coached soccer and had 8 overlapping football tickets in lower section 31 for years.  I also bought and sold concert tix all through high school and later,  UT football tix for years.  At one point I had control of like 14 tickets.  Unfortunately, I used to keep a stack of 8 Rice tickets in my visor, to remind me to sell EARLY.!!!! But right now, my single biggest fuck up was NOT buying tickets (even just to sell) to Austin F.C.   Hell haven't even tried to go to a game.

And Hate, I don't feel superior to you because of soccer. Let's have a drink, and you can pick the reason! 😉 

Edited by horn4life

On 3/29/2022 at 10:55 PM, Texzilla58 said:

The league and the city should have made funding contingent on a dome. That kind of money for such limited use. ATT has something going on almost every day, mostly private. It’s constantly busy with business meetings and conventions. The fans will figure it out when they see what the tix start selling for. I want a roof, sushi big screen, warm restrooms, concierge concessions. Fancy seat.

Tell me you're not a Bills fan without actually saying it.  LMAO.