Buffalo Bills moving to Austin?

TexasMan

I was just about to post this:

https://buffalonews.com/news/state-and-regional/buffalo-bills-want-a-new-stadium-and-for-taxpayers-to-foot-the-bill/article_dc794aea-f14a-11eb-a5ae-17fdaa70c27c.html

Heard it on Fox Sports Radio, and couldn’t believe there wasn’t already something on Surly.  Likely just Sabre rattling (see what I did there), but you never know…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I was just about to post this:

https://buffalonews.com/news/state-and-regional/buffalo-bills-want-a-new-stadium-and-for-taxpayers-to-foot-the-bill/article_dc794aea-f14a-11eb-a5ae-17fdaa70c27c.html

Heard it on Fox Sports Radio, and couldn’t believe there wasn’t already something on Surly.  Likely just Sabre rattling (see what I did there), but you never know…

Forbes last month put team owner Terry Pegula’s wealth at $5.4 billion.

I really hope the tax payers of New York do what they can to help ole Terry out. Its about time that guy caught a break. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Let’s get the usual troupes out of the way:

- Austin isn’t big enough
- not enough corporate sponsors
- Cowboys will block it
- Longhorns will block it
- city council will block it
- no good Stadium location

*tropes

and all of that is true. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

- Cowboys will block it

Austin's nearly twice as big as Buffalo, let alone Jacksonville.  But UT isn't going to allow them to use the stadium.  I don't see Austin building a stadium.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

- Cowboys will block it

My favorite is "let's build a stadium in between Austin and San Antonio so you can get fans from both cities there!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

My favorite is "let's build a stadium in between Austin and San Antonio so you can get fans from both cities there!"

Yep that is such a dumb idea. Let’s build a stadium that neither city would support and so all the 7k fans in San Marcos and new braunfels can go to after a day of tubing. 

San Antonio will never have another major sports team. Too close to Austin, Dallas and Houston which are all growing rapidly too and have more money and corporations.  It’s los Spurs and that be it. 

Austin won’t ever support an NFL team and won’t get a NBA team because of los spurs. MLB is a possibility. No NHL team either because h town would get one first. 

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm surprised San Antonio hasn't been suggested yet. 

I think its because San Antonio is always suggested that its now so passe.

Plus, the idiots in SA jump every single time they think there is a chance and throw money at multiple attempts to lure a team.  They did it with the Raiders, and the Saints,  and they have been rumored anytime any NFL team starts having local issues

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Austin won’t ever support an NFL team and won’t get a NBA team because of los spurs. MLB is a possibility. No NHL team either because h town would get one first. 

[Full Blown Stereotyping]/Plus all the Californians who have moved to Austin have proven over and over again they don't support NFL football for shit/[Rant]

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm surprised San Antonio hasn't been suggested yet. 

SA, Austin, Central TX,  is NEVER getting an NFL team.

San Antonio fell for the ruse yrs ago and built the AlamoDome. Didn't happen cuz Jerrah and I'm sure Houston blocked it too. UT would most likely block it and sorry, but ATX doesn't have the facilities nor the proper political backing to get one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

SA, Austin, Central TX,  is NEVER getting an NFL team.

San Antonio fell for the ruse yrs ago and built the AlamoDome. Didn't happen cuz Jerrah and I'm sure Houston blocked it too. UT would most likely block it and sorry, but ATX doesn't have the facilities nor the proper political backing to get one. 

lotta people lost their houses for that nonsense 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I think its because San Antonio is always suggested that its now so passe.

Plus, the idiots in SA jump every single time they think there is a chance and throw money at multiple attempts to lure a team.  They did it with the Raiders, and the Saints,  and they have been rumored anytime any NFL team starts having local issues

not trying to argue realities, but I (just by chance) was privy to SAs last pitch to an NFL team. They are very serious and have quite a bit of data to back it us because of research done by the Spurs. 

I expect strongly things should change when Jerry dies. 

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Austin's nearly twice as big as Buffalo, let alone Jacksonville.  But UT isn't going to allow them to use the stadium.  I don't see Austin building a stadium.

I'm not buying this rumor, but Austin's size would not be the reason it won't happen.

As you said Buffalo and Jacksonville are smaller.  Other smaller sized or similarly sized markets would be New Orleans, Nashville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and St. Louis.

The metro is now about 2.3 million people, and has been one of, if not the fastest growing in the country for decades.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

San Antonio will never have another major sports team. Too close to Austin, Dallas and Houston which are all growing rapidly too and have more money and corporations.  It’s los Spurs and that be it. 

I nominate the Houston Hailstorms for an NHL team name.  

Wilco would be my guess.  I could see them pay for a stadium.  And the majority of Austin and it's large suburbs are in the north quadrant.  And a detail of relative minor importance, but still worth mentioning is Bell County abuts Williamson County.  That's nearly 400,000 more folks that are nearby.  Lots of Ft. Hood peeps come to Austin on the reg.

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

Wilco would be my guess.  I could see them pay for a stadium.  And the majority of Austin and it's large suburbs are in the north quadrant.  And a detail of relative minor importance, but still worth mentioning is Bell County abuts Williamson County.  That's nearly 400,000 more folks that are nearby.  Lots of Ft. Hood peeps come to Austin on the reg.

Can we add the NFL to the coming soon to Waco sign?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3