Future of the Olympics

MaybeACoordinator

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Chile at Portillo

Good for somethings, but not all and would still need a lot of modification. What about other events?

Hockey? Figure Skating? I say fuck it, go La Paz and make them all come down Illimani next to the crashed Eastern Airlines plane that is still there. Or it was last time I flew over the mountain. 

Stick to US, Canada, Western Europe, Japan and Korea. Places with real snow and as noted, the infrastructure and scenery.

China should never sniff another Olympics. Nor should Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Andes? Live from La Paz..... Yeah, that would be a shit show. Maybe a regional game with Argentina and Chile co-hosting, but um, they don't have shit for venues. 

It's Chile. And Argentina.  I'm sure they'd pull it off without a hitch, with no corruption or bureaucratic failures.

Man that was fun to type.

That said, Olympics in Bariloche/Villa Langostura would kick fucking ass.  One of the most stunning places I've ever been.

Lllao-Llao-Hotel.jpg?format=2500w

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It looks like if they put Chernobyl on Arrakis.

Seriously--how fucking sad are your "Winter" games when the predominant color is brown?

If you told me that top picture was a new water park in Lubbock, I'd probably believe you. "I don't remember those ugly fucking cooling towers in Lubbock, but maybe it's something on the tech campus (shrug)"

Edit: Fixed it for VABuckeye

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm in till the figure skaters come out, just can't get into it, and I know how fucking hard, and dangerous that shit is.  

Gimme a downhill, slalom run, Bobsled run  or even mixed curling, and I'm there.  I have a need for speed.

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's Chile. And Argentina.  I'm sure they'd pull it off without a hitch, with no corruption or bureaucratic failures.

Man that was fun to type.

That said, Olympics in Bariloche/Villa Langostura would kick fucking ass.  One of the most stunning places I've ever been.

Lllao-Llao-Hotel.jpg?format=2500w

Shit lets do it just for the wine and churrasco. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you told me that top picture was a new water park in Lubbock, I'd probably believe you. "I don't remember their being a reactor in Lubbock, but maybe it's something on the tech campus (shrug)"

Enough of the reactor bullshit.  Those were water cooling for a steel plant.  There was no nuclear reactor there.

The venue was constructed at the site of a 100-year-old former steelworks of Shougang Group

The industrial site is being turned into a complex of office buildings, cafes and sports facilities, including the headquarters of Beijing 2022.

There is a lot to criticize China for.  Those coolers are not on the list.

Edited by VABuckeye

46 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you told me that top picture was a new water park in Lubbock, I'd probably believe you. "I don't remember their being a reactor in Lubbock, but maybe it's something on the tech campus (shrug)"

There's no water either...

Tech campus is great though.  there's a dairy barn.  No nukes.

Edited by slorch

24 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Shit lets do it just for the wine and churrasco. 

Spent several days at Villa Langostura 25 years ago, including Thanksgiving day.  Had a feast of beef, lamb, and malbec.  Best Thanksgiving dinner EVER.  And caught 30+ trout a day.

Boliche-1023x767.jpg

asado.jpg

33_Pichileufu.JPG

I am SO in.

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Enough of the reactor bullshit.  Those were water cooling for a steel plant.  There was no nuclear reactor there.

They're still ugly as shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Yes they are, because they look like shit and the entire venue looks like shit.

But yes, I agree that people referring to that crappy industrial complex as the site of a reactor is wrong.  Nuclear power plants look a shit-ton better than that dump.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you told me that top picture was a new water park in Lubbock, I'd probably believe you. "I don't remember those ugly fucking cooling towers in Lubbock, but maybe it's something on the tech campus (shrug)"

Edit: Fixed it for VABuckeye

23 minutes ago, slorch said:

There's no water either...

Tech campus is great though.  there's a dairy barn.  No nukes.

p5N_F438_400x400.jpeg

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Just watched a Chinese woman bite it hard on the snowbaord halfpipe.  Literally.  She hit the edge corner with her face.  Sucks for her.  Parents and siblings are off to the Gulag.  Also she has a concussion.

It's not Gulag, you provincial rube.  It's Goulash.  As in Great Georgia Goulash.  

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wishing best of luck to Gu Ailing and I’m so glad she’ll be able to come back and get a Stanford education after propagandizing for the CCP.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ec88aad883187bcf519ca470aea52061.jpeg

This is the most over hyped bullshit ever.  No one else gets criticized for representing another country but an 18 year old who decided that financially it made a lot more sense is getting reamed for it.  She is making 20-30x more by going to represent China than she would for the US.  But somehow she is the bad guy.  Maybe some of you need to check your Sinophobia at the door.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Counterpoint:  She left the country of her birth to rep a country that’s actively engaged in genocide and be part of their propaganda. Fuck China and fuck playing the “sinophobia” card. 

Counter to your counterpoint.  She chose not to represent a country who has been involved in countless military juntas resulting in deaths of millions all across the world in the name of oil.  She instead chose money like the good capitalist she is.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Counter to your counterpoint.  She chose not to represent a country who has been involved in countless military juntas resulting in deaths of millions all across the world in the name of oil.  She instead chose money like the good capitalist she is.

Don’t you badmouth A’murica, you commie bastard!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Counterpoint:  She left the country of her birth to rep a country that’s actively engaged in genocide and be part of their propaganda. Fuck China and fuck playing the “sinophobia” card. 

Who cares, I just want China to enforce their “No dual citizenship” rules and she can enjoy her new country when finishing Stanford. 

Long way from California. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Meh, Becky Hammon played for Russia and her only ties to that country was that she played for a pro team over there. It happens all the time and nobody really cares.

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Who cares, I just want China to enforce their “No dual citizenship” rules and she can enjoy her new country when finishing Stanford. 

Long way from California. 

Pretty sure a deal was made.  She has probably earned about 30-50 million from modeling contracts and is in line to earn way more than that.  If the Chinese tell her to renounce us citizenship at this point it is pretty stupid

athletes who live in america and even born in america play for other countries all the time, in all sports. the US wins some and loses. people do it for all kinds of reasons. chasing $$$ probably makes the most sense. with that said, she's a traitorous cunt. but to the other non-US up and coming athletes who are really really really good in your sport, move to america and compete for us. it's the honorable thing to do! plus guns!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

athletes who live in america and even born in america play for other countries all the time, in all sports. the US wins some and loses. people do it for all kinds of reasons. chasing $$$ probably makes the most sense. with that said, she's a traitorous cunt. but to the other non-US up and coming athletes who are really really really good in your sport, move to america and compete for us. it's the honorable thing to do! plus guns!!!!!!!!!!

We're not going to support you for shit but it's 'murica or die.

No one ever bitched about Sandra Richards Ross competing for the US instead of her native Jamaica.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In the recent past, most of the time the american wasn't good enough to make the US team so they competed for another country.  that is the difference here.

that said, "Yenny, Yenny bill yo!", if that is her choice. if she was Chinese they would throw her and her family in the gulag if she wanted to represent the US.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

In the recent past, most of the time the american wasn't good enough to make the US team so they competed for another country.  that is the difference here.

that said, "Yenny, Yenny bill yo!", if that is her choice. if she was Chinese they would throw her and her family in the gulag if she wanted to represent the US.

either you are american or you're not. either you're chinese or you're not. either you're (insert country nationality) or you're not. isn't that the nut of the argument? she won gold so she's in the spotlight but it's just noise to the central question, are you a traitor or do you love your country? we don't bitch when other athletes compete for us but do when "our" athletes compete for others, if they are good anyway. i am guilty of that but i can definitely laugh at myself for the hypocrisy. but back to the point of all this, fuck gu. may she fail miserably when she says/does something to upset the chinese and they turn on her.

this can be extended to college football when Texas players play for other schools in other states but when out of state players play for Texas it's ok. fuck yea Ricky Williams!!!!!! but fuck all the traitorous cunts who play for bama and other schools.

Fuck China and her decision to compete with them in particular.  99 percent of the time, good for an athlete making that choice.

Yeah, China is different. I’d say fuck you to someone who went and competed for the Norks, or the Russians today, or the Soviets in 1985.  Eileen Gu chose to be part of a propaganda and hybrid war that China is waging on my country with the aims of making it weaker.  She can fuck off. No whataboutism is convincing. Neither is “but she’s getting money for helping America’s strategic rival.”  

No shit she’s getting money to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Y'all need to read up on China's hockey team:

Of the 25 players on China’s men’s hockey roster, 18 were born in or grew up in North America — if not both — and one is Russian. Many, including American goaltender Jeremy Smith and Canadian defenseman Ryan Sproul, have no Chinese ancestry or connection to the country before joining Kunlun.

International Ice Hockey Federation rules allow players to represent a country if they’ve spent at least two years living there and playing for the national team. The pandemic forced Kunlun to relocate to the Moscow area and added another twist to the unusual journey of North Americans becoming part of China’s Olympic team, but the IIHF determined the imported players were eligible to compete.

Chelios and Canadian forward Brandon Yip said they relied on a management team to figure out the paperwork and logistics. Smith, who played 10 games in the NHL for the Colorado Avalanche during the 2016-17 season, said he was never asked to renounce his U.S. citizenship. He signed a two-year deal in the KHL in 2019 and jumped at the opportunity to play for China when the idea was presented.

“Of course I said yes,” said Smith, who has his name in Chinese letters painted on his mask. “I think it’s an honor to play in the Olympics. But to dream of playing for the host city in the Olympics, I didn’t ever think there would be a chance for me in my lifetime.”

The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity came with plenty of sacrifices for Chelios, Smith and the other North Americans on the team. Visa issues kept many away from family members, and the time together bonded the teammates in recent years.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2022/02/02/chinas-olympic-hockey-hopes-rest-on-north-american-talent/

China spent several years trying to avoid being a laughingstock at their own Olympics. They imported players like Smith and former NHL players Brandon Yip, Jake Chelios and Spencer Foo. They hired hockey luminaries like Wayne Gretzky, Phil Esposito and Mike Keenan to lend their program gravitas. They spent countless millions on hockey infrastructure and player development.

THE CHINA MEN'S national team is a project several years in the making. The plan was always to integrate international players with a core of players from mainland China. It's a plan that's taken some criticism from Chinese fans; Reuters quoted one as asking, "How come so many of them don't have Chinese blood?"

Looking at its roster, you might not realize that 18 of its 25 players were born or grew up in North America. Or that one -- Denis Osipov -- was a native of Russia.

Every player is listed as a member of Kunlun Red Star. Per the government's demand, all of the players imported to represent the country have been rechristened with Chinese-language names. Jeremy Smith is Shimisi Jieruimi. Jake Chelios, the 30-year-old former Detroit Red Wings defenseman and the son of Hockey Hall of Famer Chris Chelios, is Kailiaosi Jieke. Brandon Yip is Jingjuang Ye while Denis Osipov is Aoxibofu Dannisi.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33246445/winter-olympics-2022-odd-olympic-journey-china-men-hockey-team

• Hook 'Em 1

moving to the next thing to bitch about.  so about the russians and doping...

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/2022-olympics/what-is-the-drug-behind-russias-olympic-skating-case/

the 15 yr old chic got caught with trimetazidine in her system but testing was before the olympics. will the olympics committee have the balls to ban her from future events and strip the cheating russian bastards of their team gold? the IOC is corrupt as shit but there is precedent already set on this. it's a no brainer, right?

We should build a wall to keep people like her out!  And then we put snow on it and ski down it every 4 years.  These Games started out with so much promise when the kids and I woke up early to watch a really cool Opening Ceremonies.  I don't think we've watched a minute of it together since. Maybe this weekend.  What's the big watch Saturday & Sunday?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We should build a wall to keep people like her out!  And then we put snow on it and ski down it every 4 years.  These Games started out with so much promise when the kids and I woke up early to watch a really cool Opening Ceremonies.  I don't think we've watched a minute of it together since. Maybe this weekend.  What's the big watch Saturday & Sunday?  

watch tonight. it will be the last time you see Sean White compete. he's not favored to win gold as the sport has progressed past him but anything can happen.

• Hook 'Em 2