Future of the Olympics

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I think the Olympics should stick to the sports that don't have an existing world championship via another league. World Cups, golf, tennis, MLB, NBA, etc. But it doesn't bother me if they're included. I just don't watch them. I also don't understand why anyone gets upset that some athletes want to express their opinions. Good for them. And if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to watch or listen to their demonstrations or speeches.

As for the Women's national soccer team, is it really that bad that they've asked for equal pay and for African-Americans to stop being shot by police? For the first item, it's a legit argument on both sides depending on the viewership of said teams. And honesty, I think there is argument that the US women shouldn't get equal pay as their male US counterparts, they should get more.  

They should get more because they've been more successful ?  

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

my kids take adderall. i understand the prejudice against it, because i was leading opponent of them taking medication, because i was fucking ignorant, but they honestly cannot focus without it. to the point where they are basically monkeys running around. i know what it's like because i'm also (unmedicated) adhd. 

if that is indeed the case for simone, then i totally get it. if she regularly takes adhd meds, then focusing on body precision without it...would be problematic.

She got a medical exemption in 2016 and brought home 4 gold metals.  Apparently in Japan, Adderall and Ritalin are 100% a banned substance.  Getting off those abruptly has to be a physical and psychological jolt to your system.  Some drugs like benzos can kill you if you quit cold turkey.   And for everyone comparing her to that little girl with the gimpy foot that "gutted it out", watch "Athlete A" (documentary) about what a grade A dick-knob her coach was and how he MADE her go out there.  At least she wasn't dealing with that molesting doctor that abused so many girls (including Simone) over a period of two decades.  

45 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They should get more because they've been more successful ?  

I don't mind a national team having bonuses tied to performance aka winning. But overall, national team members should get paid based on TV and ticket sales. Now the mens national team can be tricky in terms of both of those because when they play Mexico, the TV/tickets are 90% Mexico fans. 

47 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

She got a medical exemption in 2016 and brought home 4 gold metals.  Apparently in Japan, Adderall and Ritalin are 100% a banned substance.  Getting off those abruptly has to be a physical and psychological jolt to your system.  Some drugs like benzos can kill you if you quit cold turkey.   And for everyone comparing her to that little girl with the gimpy foot that "gutted it out", watch "Athlete A" (documentary) about what a grade A dick-knob her coach was and how he MADE her go out there.  At least she wasn't dealing with that molesting doctor that abused so many girls (including Simone) over a period of two decades.  

that is interesting. 

i had no idea that adderall was a banned substance. they do subscribe concerta for adhd, but we haven't had much luck with that.

https://www.associatedkyotoprogram.org/bringing-medications-japan/

it is surprising to me, until it isn't, honestly. 

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that is interesting. 

i had no idea that adderall was a banned substance. they do subscribe concerta for adhd, but we haven't had much luck with that.

https://www.associatedkyotoprogram.org/bringing-medications-japan/

it is surprising to me, until it isn't, honestly. 

I want to know what quitting Ritalin abruptly, etc can do to your system?

And there's this (not sure if already posted) but her Aunt died.  Depressing for someone going through drug withdrawals which have a major side effect being depression.....nice cocktail to deal with.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

And there's this (not sure if already posted) but her Aunt died.  Depressing for someone going through drug withdrawals which have a major side effect being depression.....nice cocktail to deal with.  

my kids can go without meds without consequence. well, medical consequences. it's not a drug where the withdrawal will kill you. but if someone is relying on it to focus, and their sport requires the precision that gymnastics does, then i could see where going without could be deadly.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my kids can go without meds without consequence. well, medical consequences. it's not a drug where the withdrawal will kill you. but if someone is relying on it to focus, and their sport requires the precision that gymnastics does, then i could see where going without could be deadly.

read about the depression stuff and other irritability issues, layered with a death in the family, I can see it adding up and overwhelming someone.  

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

The NCAA came out yesterday and had to admit they undervalued the Woman's BB tournament by millions of dollars, believing it was a giant money-loser of a tournament compared to the Men's BB tournament.  They were wrong.  

They were wrong.  There is a systemic culture of undervaluing and underprioritizing women's sports because there's an incorrect perception no one watches or cares and the female athletes (pro and college) are speaking out.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/03/1024481199/report-ncaa-undervalues-womens-basketball-prioritizes-mens-teams

But there's a sub-culture of people in the US who believe a systemic culture of (insert thing here) doesn't exist.  At all.  And they should shut the fuck up. 

How many womens bball games have you watched this year, lancelot? 

Wimbledon/US Open/etc pay equal prizes for both genders for over a decade, because womens tennis is equally competitive, highly entertaining, and highly followed. 

Money flow dont care if youve got 2 little grapes between your legs or 1 stinking gash, so shut the fuck up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

How many womens bball games have you watched this year, lancelot? 

Wimbledon/US Open/etc pay equal prizes for both genders for over a decade, because womens tennis is equally competitive, highly entertaining, and highly followed. 

Money flow dont care if youve got 2 little grapes between your legs or 1 stinking gash, so shut the fuck up. 

lulz

You picked the wrong person to ask that question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There must be dozens like him! Dozens !

I mean I'm sure you're making yourself feel better and all, but that doesn't change the fact you stepped in it by asking Js1 that question. It also doesn't change the fact that you specifically avoided the facts that were presented about the study into the WBB tournament.

Also, the USWNT holds its own revenue wise with the MNT but were paid way less for a long time. Now they're paid slightly less which is probably reasonable. It would be way more reasonable to just pay both teams the same base amount with bonuses for match revenue and avoid the issues, but that's too smart I guess. The important thing, though, is that you're wrong that they get paid the same when they bring in the same without complaining. You reference tennis but apparently slept through the part where Billie Jean King complained and got the US Open to institute equal pay and also missed where Venus Williams complained and got Wimbledon to follow suit. Neither of those happened without public complaints.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, the USWNT holds its own revenue wise with the MNT but were paid way less for a long time. Now they're paid slightly less which is probably reasonable. It would be way more reasonable to just pay both teams the same base amount with bonuses for match revenue and avoid the issues, but that's too smart I guess. The important thing, though, is that you're wrong that they get paid the same when they bring in the same without complaining. 

Where does this narrative come from?  The court documents show they earned less than 1% more revenue then the men but were paid a higher percentage of that revenue.  

"From 2015-2019"

M - $18 million $212,639 per game

W - $24 million $220,747 (this number excludes at least $1,364,000 - paid for NWSL contracts of 22 players)

The judge also pointed out they had literally rejected the exact same deal as the men and negotiated for different things.  Like guaranteed salary, health care, child care and NWSL contract boosts.  He did find things like hotels, transportation and meals were not equal and the lawsuit for those could continue.  The top ten salaries for USNT players are dominated by women.

Most don't have a problem with equal pay, and fully support it.  It's using lies to make your point that rubs people the wrong way.

17 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Where does this narrative come from?  The court documents show they earned less than 1% more revenue then the men but were paid a higher percentage of that revenue.  

"From 2015-2019"

W - $24 million $220,747 (this number excludes at least $1,364,000 - paid for NWSL contracts of 22 players)

The judge also pointed out they had literally rejected the exact same deal as the men and negotiated for different things.  Like guaranteed salary, health care, child care and NWSL contract boosts.  He did find things like hotels, transportation and meals were not equal and the lawsuit for those could continue.  The top ten salaries for USNT players are dominated by women.

Most don't have a problem with equal pay, and fully support it.  It's using lies to make your point that rubs people the wrong way.

It comes (mostly, the CBA ended in 2016) from before 2015, so your data is irrelevant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

They got paid a lot less before the latest CBA. Now the pay is perfectly reasonable, as I said.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It comes (mostly, the CBA ended in 2016) from before 2015, so your data is irrelevant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

They got paid a lot less before the latest CBA. Now the pay is perfectly reasonable, as I said.

understood, but the lawsuit is in direct reference to the current CBA, not the sins of the past

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, BabaYaga said:

I’ve taken Ritalin for years. Unless trouble occurs after a week, or so, of not taking it, no problem here. Other than Hayden’s point. 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:23 AM, Armybrat said:

All I watch are some of the men’s track & field events. But bygod they should post the heights & distance results of the field events in feet & inches for the US audience. Mainstream team sports in the Olympics are ok but I don’t sit & watch them.

Idgaf about all that other mickey mouse “competition” crap. Trampolines? WTF? Skateboarders? (Rolleyes) A chick waving a ribbon around while pole dancing without a pole? JFC

Pro tip: those are the hot gymnasts -- the ones too leggy and curvy for the normal exercises and don't look like elves.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

"From 2015-2019"

Stupid question:

Spoiler

Who actually pays them? Does the U.S. Olympic Committee get all its money from sponsorships, etc.? It's not public, right? I honestly have no idea how our Olympic team is funded.

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

This thread is full of a bunch of “get off my lawn” old men who seem to have a negative worldview about everything.

This Olympics was held under the worst possible circumstances - once in a lifetime pandemic causing a year delay, no fans - yet it still had amazing competitions, amazing athletes, and amazing stories.

Simone Biles story gets you down? Umm.. she was sexually abused by Larry Nassar and she self reports mental health issues. She’s also the greatest gymnast of all time and she returned to competition to win a bronze medal with a great beam performance. Sorry if that triggers you. American athletes should really learn to internalize their sexual abuse and mental health.

Athletes look like they don’t want to be there? Are you fucking kidding me?! Are those of you saying this actually watching or are you merely projecting your own shitty worldview onto Olympic athletes? I’ve seen a bunch of athletes who look completely pumped to be there, and that’s without fans to increase the excitement.

giphy.gif

e3ddb1d4ff63bbda80412ca32e02e499.jpg

Not enough star power? Do you only enjoy the Olympics if you are watching Carl Lewis or Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt? Do you only watch UT football if VY is taking snaps? Come on..

Alysson Felix became the most decorated U.S. track and field Olympic athlete in history. Caeleb Dressel won 5 medals in the pool. The men’s and women’s basketball teams both continued their dominance, the men being led by a particular star who has now scored more points than anyone in Olympics basketball history. The women’s 400m hurdles featured 2 amazing runners - McLaughlin and Muhammad - who BOTH broke the world record in the same race, only to go on to destroy the competition in the 400 relay. Simone Biles withdrew from competition and then we get to see Suni Lee rise to the challenge. There’s plenty of star power, what more do you want?

Don’t forget the ton of other cool stories like Molly Seidel winning a bronze medal in her 3rd ever marathon.

Yes, I get the time difference. It’s annoying but the internet and smartphone are both here to stay and we can’t turn technology back to 1992 to maintain suspense on the outcome of competitions. That isn’t going away. Deal with it.

I think we’re lucky to have even had Olympics, and given the worldwide circumstances of the last 17 months, this year was pretty damn good. Our athletes represented the U.S. very well and we walk away the overall medal leader with a lot to be proud of and plenty to be entertained about.

Meh

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Everyone is looking for reasons to get pissed off. People are pissed off at woke cancel culture but then they cancel the Olympics because of wokeness. Does that make the anti-woke boycotters just as woke? 

f9ff1d1d3d645b49bcf2376e09cfaf3c.jpg

Is turning off the tv trying to cancel something?  I view cancel culture as when someone uses pressure tactics that prevents others from consuming a product.  Like getting a tv show cancelled or a speaker at a university cancelled.  Doesn't seem to me that the Olympics were cancelled.

I did not watch any of the Olympics.  Not politics.  Was just not interested, plus time change, and I was in Colorado (so did not watch hardly any tv the last month). 

38 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Everyone is looking for reasons to get pissed off. People are pissed off at woke cancel culture but then they cancel the Olympics because of wokeness. Does that make the anti-woke boycotters just as woke? 

f9ff1d1d3d645b49bcf2376e09cfaf3c.jpg

Proactively trying to cancel someone or something, generally because it offends you, is not the same thing as having low ratings.  Wimmenz soccer ratings is decent, but never what the menz are, even when winning.  Them protesting, then falling flat was more a matter of schadenfreude

46 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Proactively trying to cancel someone or something, generally because it offends you, is not the same thing as having low ratings.  Wimmenz soccer ratings is decent, but never what the menz are, even when winning.  Them protesting, then falling flat was more a matter of misogyny schadenfreude.

FIFY

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Wut?

I was just making a point that one doesn't need to be male to be misogynist.  

Lol, you think this is misogyny?  They were America's darlings when they won.  I can promise you had they won Gold again, they'd be getting paid a lot more than they are now and be on every marketing ad you can think of.  That's how sports work.  It started with Mia and the other giants who's backs they are standing on, getting some semblance of eyeballs to even pay attention to them.  Then they go out and shit the bed.  They went woke and got smoked.  That is textbook schadenfreude

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Lol, you think this is misogyny?  They were America's darlings when they won.  I can promise you had they won Gold again, they'd be getting paid a lot more than they are now and be on every marketing ad you can think of.  That's how sports work.  It started with Mia and the other giants who's backs they are standing on, getting some semblance of eyeballs to even pay attention to them.  Then they go out and shit the bed.  They went woke and got smoked.  That is textbook schadenfreude

Rooting against your own country's team (before they lost) because they don't know their proper place?  Because they're too "woke"? GTFO.  Yes it's Schadenfreude, but it's also misogyny.

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Rooting against your own country's team (before they lost) because they don't know their proper place?  Because they're too "woke"? GTFO.  Yes it's Schadenfreude, but it's also misogyny.

I'm sure some were rooting against them for a myriad of reasons.  My guess is many, many more were supporting them.  Then, when they shit the bed after their little show, they got laughed at.  It happens.  The misogyny angle is bullshit.  Lebron and many other "woke" make athletes took just a much if not more shit then these ladies did.  Quit trying to make this into another talking point.  

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm sure some were rooting against them for a myriad of reasons.  My guess is many, many more were supporting them.  Then, when they shit the bed after their little show, they got laughed at.  It happens.  The misogyny angle is bullshit.  Lebron and many other "woke" make athletes took just a much if not more shit then these ladies did.  Quit trying to make this into another talking point.  

I doubt that many who were supporting them before they lost laughed at them after "their little show."  That's just you trying to frame the issue as something other than what it clearly was.

For the record, I'm not the one who was trying to make this into a talking point....

"“If our soccer team, headed by a radical group of Leftist Maniacs, wasn’t woke, they would have won the Gold Medal instead of the Bronze."

“Woke means you lose, everything that is woke goes bad, and our soccer team certainly has. There were, however, a few Patriots standing. Unfortunately, they need more than that respecting our Country and National Anthem."

“They should replace the wokesters with Patriots and start winning again. The woman with the purple hair played terribly and spends too much time thinking about Radical Left politics and not doing her job!" 

Every accusation....

I'll refrain from further CR'ing of this thread drift.

Edited by DDD Dad

The Olympics has 3 issues with pulling in large viewing #s, relative to previous decades

• TV audiences are fragmented and frequently time shift their shows
  • when time zones are an issue, we all know the result before the primetime broadcast.  Displaying my age but I recall as a kid, there were few ways to know the result even if it occurred 5 hours ago. Local sports seemed to respect this informal rule to not give away the results.  You had to watch the 3-hour nightly broadcast to learn the results or wait until tomorrow's newspaper.
  • Our attention spans are too short. I don't want to see the 20 minute lead-in to the 4x400 race. I can watch the entire race afterwards from my Twitter feed. And I don't care to see the athlete background stories. Who has time for that.

I would think that future Olympics broadcast rights are going to be less and less $, or perhaps remain static. The viewers just aren't there anymore. Now how that impacts future Olympic sites, who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

That's just you trying to frame the issue as something other than what it clearly was.

What it clearly was?  You mean "woke" athletes getting laughed at for posturing, then losing?  Because that is exactly what it was.  That they were women had ZERO to do with it.  

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Olympics has 3 issues with pulling in large viewing #s, relative to previous decades

• TV audiences are fragmented and frequently time shift their shows
  • when time zones are an issue, we all know the result before the primetime broadcast.  Displaying my age but I recall as a kid, there were few ways to know the result even if it occurred 5 hours ago. Local sports seemed to respect this informal rule to not give away the results.  You had to watch the 3-hour nightly broadcast to learn the results or wait until tomorrow's newspaper.
  • Our attention spans are too short. I don't want to see the 20 minute lead-in to the 4x400 race. I can watch the entire race afterwards from my Twitter feed. And I don't care to see the athlete background stories. Who has time for that.

I would think that future Olympics broadcast rights are going to be less and less $, or perhaps remain static. The viewers just aren't there anymore. Now how that impacts future Olympic sites, who knows.

Pretty fair points all around.  Social media and immediate worldwide access to information is breaking the traditional model for broadcast revenues.  However, I'm convinced that there is a substantial audience potential for many of the events.   Figuring out how to monetize that potential audience in this new age is of course the billion dollar question.

If you want to know how uncompetitive the olympics is now, look no further than the karate final. Saudi Arabian disqualified for absolutely fucking murdering his opponent. “Too forceful a kick” my ass. That’s the whole point of combat sports. Dumbass iranian guy ducked into the kick, making it worse than it was. 

• Like 1

I agree that the decision doesn't make sense (he was leaning back and snap kicked with his front leg and not roundhouse kicked with full force, the opponent was unlucky to get knocked out and it's not kickers fault), but how does it indicate uncompetitive nature of Olympics? We can say that the referee/committee decision is wrong, but how does it apply to the whole Olympics?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you want to know how uncompetitive the olympics is now, look no further than the karate final. Saudi Arabian disqualified for absolutely fucking murdering his opponent. “Too forceful a kick” my ass. That’s the whole point of combat sports. Dumbass iranian guy ducked into the kick, making it worse than it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why it's called "point" fighting, and not just "fighting".  I kind of get it.  If you train and anticipate a certain style of fighting, and the other guy goes off script, that's on him.  Like BJJ and the guy grabs your junk.  In a "fight", sure.  But in a tournament, that will get you disqualified.  Or low blows in boxing.  

The problem was they spent most of their lives training in this scripted fighting style to begin with.  My guess is a fairly adept BJJ blue belt would take either one of them down with minimal effort.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

The future of the olympics is whatever the Chinese say it is.

For those that have seen the amazing documentary "Icarus", state sponsored doping is alive and well and I doubt the Chinese or Russians have clean hands.  My guess is the majority of countries have teams trying to walk the razors edge of performance enhancement....the US included.  

Edited by BabaYaga