Future of the Olympics

MaybeACoordinator

'92 and '96 Olympics were magical to me. Couldn't get enough of them. Don't think I've watched a single event this year precisely for the reasons stated by OP. 2028 in LA is going to be interesting. The anti-olympic contingency seems to be growing, and depending on the state of the city by then, you could have a lavish olympics games set against the backdrop of a massive homeless/humanitarian crisis and increasing wealth inequality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I love the Olympics despite its shortcomings. I think it’s a great event that brings people together from all over the world to showcase athletic abilities and creates national pride.

Yes, the IOC is corrupt. Yes, hosting the Olympics is difficult and creates financial hardship for host cities. Yes, there are certain sports that should be eliminated.

All of those things need reform, but that doesn’t detract from my ability to love watching anymore than NCAA corruption prevents me from loving college sports.

It’s also ok to not like every event. Watch the ones you like and skip the others. Someone else may like them.

Finally, this is a very difficult Olympics mainly due to COVID, so I wouldn’t write off the entire event based on one exceptionally atypical year. Lots of sports have been negatively affected over the past 15 months.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

The time difference and the COVID impact killed this Olympics other than swimming which was broadcast live between 9 - 12 PM ET to accommodate the American audience.

We also know the Russians and Chinese are doped to the gills so there is a dramatically uneven playing field in sports they focus on.  

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is the Olympics I’ve watched the least in my life.

Partly because of wokeism, partly because I have a 3 and 6 yr old making it impossible to sit on couch, partly because there’s no bolt/Phelps/ biles and the time difference sucks so we know the results when we wake up

I agree with this right here. I think the time difference sucks because you know the results before they broadcast. There’s very little star power in these olympics even before Biles withdrew. 

In the past, NBC was good about showing the Americans who won medals and you’d see the final round of whatever competition they were in whether it be shooting, fencing or judo or whatever. Now they just gloss over that stuff and instead show nothing but almost meaningless heats in swimming and track and field during prime time with maybe one or two actual events for medals. I think their whole production this year has been absolutely awful.

I also wonder if, like MNLonghorn said, all the wokeism has made the country in general less patriotic. Half the board is going to say “that’s bullshit” but there really is a large segment of the population who don’t like Megan Rapino, Gwen Berry and other Olympic athletes that complain about their country.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been a fan my whole life and will continue to be one.  Earliest memories are watching Mark Spitz in Munich.  Franz Klammer in Innsbruck going downhill in 76 just letting his balls hang.  Being in the middle of a pasture in Gatesville, Tx at a campout and watching the Miracle on Ice on a TV hooked up to a generator.  Last night, watching that dude from Norway looking like he was about to be had in the last 100 meters and gutting it out to break his world record.  

I get it about some sports... BMX, Skateboarding, and Beach Volleyball but they have to get eyes on the tv.  That being said, I dig the Snowboarding events during winter.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I love the Olympics despite its shortcomings. I think it’s a great event that brings people together from all over the world to showcase athletic abilities and creates national pride.

Yes, the IOC is corrupt. Yes, hosting the Olympics is difficult and creates financial hardship for host cities. Yes, there are certain sports that should be eliminated.

All of those things need reform, but that doesn’t detract from my ability to love watching anymore than NCAA corruption prevents me from loving college sports.

It’s also ok to not like every event. Watch the ones you like and skip the others. Someone else may like them.

Finally, this is a very difficult Olympics mainly due to COVID, so I wouldn’t write off the entire event based on one exceptionally atypical year. Lots of sports have been negatively affected over the past 15 months.

I still love the olympics too. Have it on every night. Usually fall asleep watching the late events after 11pm even though they’re usually reruns.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

partly because I have a 3 and 6 yr old making it impossible to sit on couch, partly because there’s no bolt/Phelps/ biles and the time difference sucks so we know the results when we wake up

I've got two small kids, and yeah, it's very hard.

But I'd put it at:

1. Time difference + 24/7 news feeds/news pushed to your phone = you know the results when you wake up
  2. Few interesting/charismatic personalities, which happens every few Olympics.

This is not the first time that these two things have conspired to make them bland, but in the past, at least you might not know the results unless you were watching one of the morning news shows or had a newspaper show up on your doorstep.

It's ironic, because we have more ways to watch all of the events, but shit's happening when we are asleep or can't normally watch.

My oldest does like to watch when there are athletes with connections to Texas, both the state and the University.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I agree with this right here. I think the time difference sucks because you know the results before they broadcast. There’s very little star power in these olympics even before Biles withdrew. 

In the past, NBC was good about showing the Americans who won medals and you’d see the final round of whatever competition they were in whether it be shooting, fencing or judo or whatever. Now they just gloss over that stuff and instead show nothing but almost meaningless heats in swimming and track and field during prime time with maybe one or two actual events for medals. I think their whole production this year has been absolutely awful.

I also wonder if, like MNLonghorn said, all the wokeism has made the country in general less patriotic. Half the board is going to say “that’s bullshit” but there really is a large segment of the population who don’t like Megan Rapino, Gwen Berry and other Olympic athletes that complain about their country.

Followed by half the country then rooting against their own country because their feelings are hurt.

Freedom of fucking speech, baby! 

• Like 2

1984 was peak Olympics for me. I was just out of high school, it was in LA, I didn't yet understand how corrupt the IOC was or how much cheating was going on, and it had big US stars all across the board, including the US basketball team made up of college players.   (That michael jordan kids seems like he might be pretty good). 

And it was the fucking '80s; everything was better in the 80s. Dawn of the technology age.

Since then I've had a steady slow decline in interest and viewing.  I didn't watch that much in Rio, but I at least followed it online and checked out all the results.

This olympics, I just don't care.  (The one exception being I want slovenia to beat the US in the gold metal basketball game. (for the schadenfreude and lutz.)

NBC's coverage has been horrid.  A prime example was men's swimming in the 400 IM.  Kalisz (US) was leading most of the way.  Litherland (US) was 6th going in to the freestyle swim.  After the turn, Kalisz has is won....the only think in question was silver and bronze.  Instead of showing the full shot of all lanes, they showed a head-on,  shot of Kalisz, for almost 10 seconds.  They never really showed a shot of the incredible run that Litherland had to make up all of that ground to finish second and barely mentioned it.  

In watching the replay, it doesn't look as bad, but when it was happening, I couldn't figure out why they were showing a headon shot of one guy while there was an amazing comeback happening.  Plus, throw in the fact that Litherland's mom is from Japan and he was born there....that is the kind of shit they usually beat to death.  The last lap starts at:  3:20.....and of course, NBC has it blocked so you can't paste a video here.  (See if this works

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=2021+olympic+swimming+400+im+replay

But the coverage of the 400m hurdles was outstanding.  What a race.

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2

Every time the Olympics are shown on 13 hour delay people say the Olympics are over. It hasn't helped that there are no big stars this time around and the rest of the world seems to be doing better, even tho we lead in the medal count. The NBC coverage has been shit and frankly confusing and were clearly banking too much on Simone Biles. But 24 and 28 will tell a different tale and everyone will be excited again.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Part of it is my new kinda redneck Walden Pond lifestyle that finds me with no TV, but I've never given less of a shit about the Olympics, and the older I've gotten, that level was already pretty damn small. It seems like majorities of people in host cities don't want the games in their cities but they have them rammed down their throats anyway. The IOC is ridiculously corrupt, most of the team sports I care about have far superior international or regional tournaments (World Cup, Euro Cup etc., World Baseball Classic) or league championships, Olympic boxing sucks, and IDGAF about probably 90 percent of the other events.

American TV won't show us reasonably cool sports like team handball because we suck at it, and this might be a minority opinion, but I think once you've seen one beach volleyball ass, you've seen them all. I've always thought the normal volleyball players looked hotter for some reason. 

Why are we encouraged to pretend we care every four years about rich dorks rowing in tandem or dudes skiiing around frozen forests with shitty target rifles or weirdoes rolling big discs down sheets of ice? We don't, not really.

And there's a fuck-ton of CR type issues here too with shit like exploited laborers and slum clearance and all that. Also, they are the leading edge of crowd control security and some of their innovations should freak out anyone with even a remote libertarian streak. I was half listening to a podcast about Olympic suckage and supposedly at an upcoming games they want to use facial recognition technology instead of even tickets on your phone. Why? How would that be an improvement? What if you got fat or lost a bunch of weight and the computer doesn't recognize you? Then you hold up the line while you have to try to convince some goon that you are you and you have a ticket and they will probably say tough shit and you would have maybe flown halfway around the world for nothing. 

In short, the Olympics seem like they suck.

One thing I think they should do is stick them in Athens forever. That way you don't have a bunch of grifters getting fat off pork belly projects all over the world. It would be limited to Athens, and the Greeks are very very good at such things. And they invented these games so they should have them.

1 -- I KNOW you didn't just shit on biathlon, perhaps the coolest fucking event in either olympics.  Ski through terrain really fast, then shoot a tiny target, then ski some more, and shoot some more.  Ask a shitload of dead Russians in Finland circa 1939-40 if those skills translated to the real world.  It's a fucking AWESOME sport.

2 -- the grift, corruption, and horrific economic and social damage done by the siting process has to stop.  And it seems that things are turning in the right direction -- siting takes into account existing facilities and such, as opposed to an expectation that the host city/nation spend 20 kabillion bucks on building all new venues.  I'd be fine with permanent location in Athens, but dude.....if you want corruption and incompetence, Greece would win gold in that event.

3 -- the summer games should focus on core, classic sports.  Track and field, swimming, archery, gymnastics, boxing, wrestling, weight lifting, etc.  But still, some of the random sports are cool to watch every now and then, and American TV should get better about showing them.  Team handball is fun to watch.  

4 -- we haven't watched these games as attentively as others, again, largely because of the time difference.  The same happened with the Nagano winter games.  That's a HUGE time gap.

5 -- seriously.  Biathlon is fucking cool.  Any sporting event that mimics a combat activity kicks ass.  Don't shit on biathlon, dude.  Or the ghost of Joachim Rønneberg will ski all the way to your house to haunt your ass.

ErnfHcmXYAE51yS.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Best part of the olympics for me was watching USWNT get their shit pushed in. Or hearing about it really. Between IOC corruption, shitty coverage, no stars, a fuck ton of sports no one cares about, and athletes in said irrelevant sports just using their platform to make political statements, I don’t see how this olympics has any appeal. And it’s laughable to compare whatever statement athletes are making now to what those guys did on the podium in 1968. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Best part of the olympics for me was watching USWNT get their shit pushed in. Or hearing about it really. Between IOC corruption, shitty coverage, no stars, a fuck ton of sports no one cares about, and athletes in said irrelevant sports just using their platform to make political statements, I don’t see how this olympics has any appeal. And it’s laughable to compare whatever statement athletes are making now to what those guys did on the podium in 1968. 
Not shocked that an armchair Yankees fan is a complete asshole.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

2 -- the grift, corruption, and horrific economic and social damage done by the siting process has to stop.  And it seems that things are turning in the right direction -- siting takes into account existing facilities and such, as opposed to an expectation that the host city/nation spend 20 kabillion bucks on building all new venues.  I'd be fine with permanent location in Athens, but dude.....if you want corruption and incompetence, Greece would win gold in that event.

Seems like the Athens games sent that country into an economic tailspin that they can’t recover from.

Skateboarding and BMX feel like an attempt to target a younger demo that appear to be losing interest in the games (my 16 yo has zero interest) which is fine. There’s a lot of sports that have been in the games for a long time that don’t feel like they belong.

I know everyone says they like gymnastics but I am not a fan of any event that is "scored".    Subjective decisions by judges that have biases, favorites and can be bought off.   It' why I don't care for surfing, diving and skateboarding either.   Incredibly athletic sports that are judged.   Give me swimming or volleyball any day.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I know everyone says they like gymnastics but I am not a fan of any event that is "scored".    Subjective decisions by judges that have biases, favorites and can be bought off.   It' why I don't care for surfing, diving and skateboarding either.   Incredibly athletic sports that are judged.   Give me swimming or volleyball any day.

Yep. Otherwise, I think improv jazz piano should be an event. The Japanese woman at the opening ceremony held my attention.

I dislike the nationalism. I love the idea of holding the games in Athens, permanently. Maybe that model will not be financially devastating.

The 400m hurdles final this time around was outstanding. The high jumping dude from Qatar offering to share gold with the Italian dude? That was worth the watch.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Cool thing about the biathlon is they have their hear rate ski high, then have to calm it down in order to shoot.  

Plus, Dor0thea Wierer.

image-5e57287cdf235__700.jpg  

5e4979d520302707ff75b9b6.jpg

I mean, yeah.

But seriously, the whole "this is how we practice to kill Russians" is just f'n badass.  We have a Norwegian exchange daughter serving in the military right now.  Her training actually includes being able to shoot while on skis.  In order to kill Russians, specifically.  That's just f'n badass.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If you feel your patriotism is diminished because of Megan Rapino (of all fucking things), then you weren't much of a patriot to start with.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Watching the dude in Barcelona light the cauldron with a fucking flaming arrow is still ingrained in my memory. Absolutely loved it. 

Man, I absolutely remember that.  But in my memory, it was for a Winter Olympics.  Lillehammer, maybe?

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I've followed online, but fuck the IOC for letting Russian athletes compete under ROC. You banned Russia for a legit reason, and you still let them compete.

But I'm sure they're clean now.  Right?  

Right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

The 400m hurdles final this time around was outstanding. The dude from Qatar offering to share gold with the Italian dude? That was worth the watch.

And these.  The 400m hurdles was the best damned track race I've watched in a long time.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- I KNOW you didn't just shit on biathlon, perhaps the coolest fucking event in either olympics.  Ski through terrain really fast, then shoot a tiny target, then ski some more, and shoot some more.  Ask a shitload of dead Russians in Finland circa 1939-40 if those skills translated to the real world.  It's a fucking AWESOME sport.

3 -- the summer games should focus on core, classic sports.  Track and field, swimming, archery, gymnastics, boxing, wrestling, weight lifting, etc.  But still, some of the random sports are cool to watch every now and then, and American TV should get better about showing them.  Team handball is fun to watch.  

4 -- we haven't watched these games as attentively as others, again, largely because of the time difference.  The same happened with the Nagano winter games.  That's a HUGE time gap.

5 -- seriously.  Biathlon is fucking cool.  Any sporting event that mimics a combat activity kicks ass.  Don't shit on biathlon, dude.  Or the ghost of Joachim Rønneberg will ski all the way to your house to haunt your ass.

ErnfHcmXYAE51yS.jpg

i'd like it more if the guns didn't look like toys. 

I'm watching it. It's the least we can fucking do to support our athletes who trained their asses off to get there.

It's not a great Olympics in terms of medals. There are disappointments but we can't win everything in every Olympics.

The spirit, joy, and sadness of the Olympics can be summarized by the results of the men' 400 meter hurdle.

We saw a epic sub 46 second run by Karsten Warholm which may be akin to breaking the 4 min mile. We saw the emotion and let down of Rai Benjamin crying in his interview and apologizing to his mom for failing, even though he ran a personal best and broke the previous world record. I can't fathom letting bullshit politics making people miss out on great stories and supporting our athletes.

Cancel culture is alive in thriving by both sides of the shitty political spectrum.

When’s Tx/ou to sec getting canceled?

csb - a good friend of mine was on what was supposed to be the US Olympic swim team in 1980.  The team ended doing its Olympic team trials after the Moscow Olympics, and my friend finished his event with a time that would have won him the gold medal.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 2

Similar here ... I LOVED the Olympics as a kid, but did not much watch this year. Agree with above I wish it was just the core "Olympic Sports," including the "weird ones to Americans" like bi-athalon a water polo. It started to jump the shark when ballroom dancing and X-games sports were added. As I got older and realized the politics and economics of it, that really soured me. I was in Beijing in 2008 and saw thousands of hutong people displaced so the city would "look pretty" for the international viewers. Kind of sucks to lose your generational home to impress Bob Costas. And the interwebs really destroys it - much more fun to watch (at worst) tape-delayed and not knowing who wins.

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

i'd like it more if the guns didn't look like toys. 

And if the targets were invading Russian troops.

I mean, if we're going to go with "that would be cool as shit to watch" for our metric.

I would also accept "the targets are invading Nazi bastards."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Jan 6 coup attempt: it was a parade, nothing to get upset about. It's that damn media is over stating how dangerous it was.

Olympics "woke" athletes: by God, I'm going to boycott the shit out of the Olympics. If I watch, I'm going to root against America!!!!

Fwiw, I think more than just one of those capitol rioters deserved to be shot. I have that opinion & I still can’t stand Rapinoe and many of her teammates, I can only imagine how much others dislike them. Anthem kneeling and shit like that has never & still doesn’t bother me, it’s the grandstanding to the press & on social media that’s too much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I guess if we are boycotting sports and events because people cheat, then we should've stopped watching college football years ago because SEC and Oregon have been blatantly cheating for decades.

Wait until you hear about college basketball!  We're boycotting March Madness, right? 

16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

csb - a good friend of mine was on what was supposed to be the US Olympic swim team in 1980.  The team ended doing its Olympic team trials after the Moscow Olympics, and my friend finished his event with a time that would have won him the gold medal.

I know someone who was the #1 ranked person in her sport from 1978-1982.  Get a couple of drinks in her and she’ll be more than happy to let you know her feelings about the decision to not go.

The Olympics are great. Especially awesome is the ability to watch an entire event's qualifying rounds and finals in their entirety. Avoiding NBC's feel good, personalities and interviews focus is awesome for minor sports fans.

The actual future is that there will be set locations for the games.  No one any longer has the stomach for losing billions on it.  Brisbane won the '32 bid because they were the only bidder.  The idea is that Paris, Los Angeles, Beijing or Tokyo and Sydney/Brisbane would rotate the games and host using mostly existing facilities.  

• Hook 'Em 1