2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

This QB battle is going to be sick. Best one since? I don’t even know. Sam & Shane were talented guys too. 

83419FBD-69C9-47D5-AB34-AE2F01499F28.jpeg

SportsBetting.ag has it almost locked to Casey Thompson starting the opener.  Definitely curious to see how it plays out.

Texas starting QB in 2021 season opener
Casey Thompson -500
Hudson Card +300

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

SportsBetting.ag has it almost locked to Casey Thompson starting the opener.  Definitely curious to see how it plays out.

Texas starting QB in 2021 season opener
Casey Thompson -500
Hudson Card +300

Casey’s going to start the first gale if he’s healthy. The more interesting bet is who starts the most games this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This QB battle is going to be sick. Best one since? I don’t even know. Sam & Shane were talented guys too. 
83419FBD-69C9-47D5-AB34-AE2F01499F28.thumb.jpeg.c7001dd3bdcd3b42d8a57ec978dfe380.jpeg
Team Casey and team Hudson have equal chances of either being happy or dissapointed...or did until Card decided to get the Rona recently. (If true)

I think whoever doesnt win the job still gets significant time this year, just not sure who that will be. Hudson is the near future, but Casey may be nearest future.

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My bet is Card is starting by the time we play in conference. 

It’ll be interesting to see. Card seems like a guy who kills it in practice, but there’s still some questions about how he handles pressure in games. He would’ve had at least a couple strip sacks if the spring game were live due to lack of awareness and ball security.

Thompson seems the opposite. Probably doesn’t blow people away in practice, but he seems to show up when it’s game time.

I think Card would be the favorite on that bet, but I could see scenario where Thompson plays well and never gives the job up. Either way, I think both guys will get some solid playing time the first two games and then we’ll see from there. I expect Sark will want a definite starter who plays all meaningful minutes by the time conference play starts. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’ll be interesting to see. Card seems like a guy who kills it in practice, but there’s still some questions about how he handles pressure in games. He would’ve had at least a couple strip sacks if the spring game were live due to lack of awareness and ball security.

Thompson seems the opposite. Probably doesn’t blow people away in practice, but he seems to show up when it’s game time.

I think Card would be the favorite on that bet, but I could see scenario where Thompson plays well and never gives the job up. Either way, I think both guys will get some solid playing time the first two games and then we’ll see from there. I expect Sark will want a definite starter who plays all meaningful minutes by the time conference play starts. 

I temper that with Card being handed the B team to play with and Casey’s penchant for throwing late to the flat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I temper that with Card being handed the B team to play with and Casey’s penchant for throwing late to the flat.

Sure, but B team or not, his awareness, pocket presence, and ball security were bad. His protection wasn’t great, but it also wasn’t an abject failure, so it wasn’t all up to circumstances. 

They both seem like solid but not spectacular options at this point. Card definitely has more growth potential over the course of the year, but Sark also has to win right away. His recruiting has given him 0 margin for error on the field. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure, but B team or not, his awareness, pocket presence, and ball security were bad. His protection wasn’t great, but it also wasn’t an abject failure, so it wasn’t all up to circumstances. 

They both seem like solid but not spectacular options at this point. Card definitely has more growth potential over the course of the year, but Sark also has to win right away. His recruiting has given him 0 margin for error on the field. 

I dunno, I haven’t rewatched the game in a bit, but I remember him dribbling the ball once, and basically having no time to do much of anything when the sacks came. Often in obvious 3rd and long situations.

Card hits holes in the secondary better, Casey seems to be better at layered passes, and we haven’t seen enough RPO game to determine either way who’s better. Sark is a big believer in explosives, so he’s not looking for a drive the bus guy. Casey seems better at that off schedule give his ability to feather passes between defensive levels, but one of the two of them needs to do some on schedule stuff too.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve heard Card was lights out in the 7 on 7 settings. He definitely throws the best ball on the team. I don’t know if he necessarily does anything else better than Casey at this point in his development though. Although Casey can sling the rock pretty well too. That 76 yard touchdown pass to Dixon vs Colorado was insane. The whole line missed their blocking assignments & Casey just hung in there and threw a bomb to Dixon in stride. I can’t see Card making that play this season. It should be interesting. 

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Can you elaborate on what's valued in the RPO game?

Speaking mostly out of my ass I would suspect it would be correctly reading box counts, leveraged defenders, making good decisions on those reads and delivering the ball accurately and on time when said read calls for a pass.

Sark wants to make a lot of his PA pass game look like it’s an RPO so it will be difficult to determine when it’s an RPO and when it’s a called pass if we execute it well.

Sark’s end game is to get the defense to play man trying to stop the RPO game, and then start running crosses and various deep routes away from chasing defenders once the defense commits to it per a seminar he gave.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I dont know who is better right now. And let me make it clear, i want the best QB for Texas to play, whether it is now, in the near term or long term. I just want Texas to win.

That said, I think the narrative about Hudson being a practice player, having poor pocket awareness, poor ball protection, or not being a pressure player could not be more wrong. Other than pure arm talent, you literally highlighted the things he actually does best.  As someone who has watched every game in person that he has played since his freshman year at LT, the kid is the epitome of a pressure player. He got better in the bigger games at LT and against the better opponents. I never saw him get nervous or shy away from the big stage. He handled it all in stride and stepped up even more when he was needed to make plays. He is a plus athlete with an elite arm. He does all of the little things (pocket awareness, ball protection, going through his reads) effortlessly. He does not have happy feet in the pocket. He moves his feet the way he has been taught by the very best QB coaches in the nation so he is always in an athletic stance and ready to deliver the ball. 

And those "strip sacks" in the spring game, probably would have actually been Hudson ripping off a 10 or 20 yard run instead.

There is still a lot that he needs to show at this level. I get that. I am as interested as anyone else to see if he can do it. If he doesnt or isnt ready, then I have no doubt that Casey will be fine. But as prospects, they dont compare. If Hudson adjusts and shows he can do it on this level, he will most likely run away with this competition. And I know that is a big "IF."  I hope he can, but again, if not, then I hope Casey steps up and does great things in this offense. I am sick of losing and while it would be fun to have a kid that I coached in 7s be the starting QB, it would be even more fun to win games and beat the hell outta OU.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont know who is better right now. And let me make it clear, i want the best QB for Texas to play, whether it is now, in the near term or long term. I just want Texas to win.

That said, I think the narrative about Hudson being a practice player, having poor pocket awareness, poor ball protection, or not being a pressure player could not be more wrong. Other than pure arm talent, you literally highlighted the things he actually does best.  As someone who has watched every game in person that he has played since his freshman year at LT, the kid is the epitome of a pressure player. He got better in the bigger games at LT and against the better opponents. I never saw him get nervous or shy away from the big stage. He handled it all in stride and stepped up even more when he was needed to make plays. He is a plus athlete with an elite arm. He does all of the little things (pocket awareness, ball protection, going through his reads) effortlessly. He does not have happy feet in the pocket. He moves his feet the way he has been taught by the very best QB coaches in the nation so he is always in an athletic stance and ready to deliver the ball. 

And those "strip sacks" in the spring game, probably would have actually been Hudson ripping off a 10 or 20 yard run instead.

There is still a lot that he needs to show at this level. I get that. I am as interested as anyone else to see if he can do it. If he doesnt or isnt ready, then I have no doubt that Casey will be fine. But as prospects, they dont compare. If Hudson adjusts and shows he can do it on this level, he will most likely run away with this competition. And I know that is a big "IF."  I hope he can, but again, if not, then I hope Casey steps up and does great things in this offense. I am sick of losing and while it would be fun to have a kid that I coached in 7s be the starting QB, it would be even more fun to win games and beat the hell outta OU.

I didn’t mean pressure of a big game. I’m talking pocket presence. You’re wrong about the spring game, he would have absolutely gotten sacked and likely fumbled multiple times, and he absolutely scrambled into pressure when he didn’t need to as well. 

I agree with you though, that these issues are something he will grow through and will ultimately become a really good player for us. The question is just whether he’s ready grow past them right now. Sark can’t afford to have a starting Qb with growing pains right now. He has to win big and right away. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1