2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

31 minutes ago, victory88 said:

On a side note, RoJo is looking fucking good.  Props to Stan Drayton for some how managing to get Bijan falling in his lap and getting an insane athletic player that’s a great leader and smart in RoJo.  Add in K. Robinson and his dynamic speed, this room is among the best In the country.  

Next year’s room with Miller and Blue is going to be even better.  

Yeah, hard pressed to find a better position group that is setup for this season and into the future than Rb right now. 

Also, props to RoJo for working his ass off. Dude gives a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, hard pressed to find a better position group that is setup for this season and into the future than Rb right now. 

Also, props to RoJo for working his ass off. Dude gives a shit. 

56 minutes ago, victory88 said:

On a side note, RoJo is looking fucking good.  Props to Stan Drayton for some how managing to get Bijan falling in his lap and getting an insane athletic player that’s a great leader and smart in RoJo.  Add in K. Robinson and his dynamic speed, this room is among the best In the country.  

Next year’s room with Miller and Blue is going to be even better.  

@golfclap is going to love this shit right here! 

No player in my lifetime enraged me quite like breckyn hager. Never has some that had done so little said so much. Mother fucker looked like tarzan and played like jane.  Got straight up dominated. 

It wasn’t the players. This is like being mad that Dylan Haines was a starter. The dude did his best. The problem was the coaching staff that didn’t try to upgrade that position.

45 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It wasn’t the players. This is like being mad that Dylan Haines was a starter. The dude did his best. The problem was the coaching staff that didn’t try to upgrade that position.

Dylan Haines was a bitch on social media though. A bitch to our starting QB. That's why he'll forever be known as the 'human hurdle.'

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How the Texas depth chart is shaking out early in the preseason

By JEFF HOWE14 hrs

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian took the Longhorns under the lights at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for Sunday’s practice, the team’s third in a row since camp started on Friday. With the soon-to-be-completed south end zone complex towering over Campbell-Williams Field and Sarkisian’s charges holding their first camp practice on the newly-installed field turf, Horns247 was one of several media outlets on hand to get a look at the Longhorns with 27 days to go until the season opener with Louisiana.

The following is a mix of what could be seen from the stands along with a few notes picked up from various sources.

— I mentioned this following Saturday’s practice, but I feel more confident in reporting that Luke Brockermeyer was getting work in some capacity as the No. 1 inside linebacker next to DeMarvion Overshown. Jaylan Ford was behind Overshown with David Gbenda behind Brockermeyer while the No. 3 group was Devin Richardson and Jett Bush. It’s tough to tell in the limited view of practice what chance Ayodele Adeoye, Morice Blackwell, Terrence Cooks and Jaden Hullaby are going to get to compete for snaps simply because the position is too crowded.

With that said, the inside linebacker group is used heavily when the Longhorns work on the kicking game, so don’t be surprised to see quite a few of these names making up the coverage and return units on Sept. 4.

— Sticking with what the No. 1 defense looks like three days into camp, the first group up in the secondary on Sunday featured D'Shawn Jamison and Josh Thompson at cornerback, B.J. Foster and Brenden Schooler at safety and Jerrin Thompson as the nickelback. Anthony Cook was backing up Jerrin Thompson in the nickel with Chris Adimora and Tyler Owens at the safety spots for the second-team defense while Darion Dunn and Kitan Crawford were manning the cornerback positions as the primary backups.

10522736.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Photo: Jeff Howe, 247Sports)

I was really impressed with Jamison’s physicality when tackling was live. He remains ahead of Crawford and Dunn in the pecking order, which is somewhat unfortunate because his quickness and instincts could provide the right mix Pete Kwiatkowski and Terry Joseph are looking for to fit the nickel position. It feels like one of the safest bets when it comes to depth chart battles for him and Josh Thompson to be in their respective spots for the opener given the way things look right now.

— After spending the first two open media windows almost exclusively with the training staff, Ben Davis was on the field working with the edge defenders on Sunday. The Alabama transfer who suffered a foot injury in summer workouts was working behind Jacoby Jones in drills in a group with Ovie Oghoufo and walk-on Patrick Bayouth. Ray Thornton continues to lead the other group of Longhorns manning the hybrid edge position in Kwiatkowski’s defense, which includes Prince Dorbah, D.J. Harris and David Abiara (Dorbah, Oghoufo and Bayouth have been with the No. 2 group based on what’s been gleaned through the first three days of camp).

— The only noticeable difference to report with the interior defensive linemen following Sunday's peek behind the curtain is Vernon Broughton is very much in the second group with Alfred Collins and T'Vondre Sweat. Broughton got a lot of work in the spring when Collins was recovering from an injury and Sweat was out recovering from shoulder surgery.

It’s tough to tell during the open windows what exactly Bo Davis is doing with his group, but there was a lot of teaching going on at the far end of the field on Sunday. Davis’ group worked on getting off of blocks, specifically working to fight off an opposing lineman’s hands, but they also spent a lot of time working on the proper technique to defend zone running schemes.

10522748.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

— With Isaiah Hookfin out after first appearing in a walking boot on Saturday, Kyle Flood continued to mix up his personnel. The offensive line didn’t work together much as a five-man group based on what the media was able to see at any point in practice, but when they did the lineup from left tackle to right tackle remained the same as it did the first two days — Christian Jones, Denzel Okafor, Jake Majors, Junior Angilau and Derek Kerstetter. There was a portion of practice where Hayden Conner jumped it at left guard, Tope Imade was in at right guard and Andrej Karic worked at right tackle along with Jones and Majors.

Angilau continues to work at center when the line is going through individual. It appears as though Logan Parr has the early inside track to be the No. 2 center on the depth chart, but Flood is devoting a decent amount of practice time to letting Angilau snap the ball, at least while the media is present.

And, yes, as I mentioned in my post on the message board offering some quick thoughts from practice, there was a practice period devoted to recognizing and picking up twists and stunts. Considering the issues Texas has dealt with when facing pass-rushing games up front over the last two seasons, any sign that Flood is working to rectify the problem is noteworthy.

10522761.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

— Chip’s report covered the highlights of what the wide receivers and running backs did on Sunday but noticing how Andre Coleman’s guys were grouped provided some insight into Sarkisian's mindset of wanting the best players on the field rather than determining personnel groups based on positional labels or roles. Kelvontay Dixon and Troy Omeire were leading one outside receiver group with Montrell Estell and walk-ons Paxton Anderson and Kartik Akkihal. The other group of outside receivers was led by Joshua Moore with walk-on Travis West, Al'Vonte Woodard, Casey Cain and Marcus Washington working behind him. Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy were leading the way in the slot in front of Jaden Alexis, Kai Money, Dajon Harrison, Kai Money and walk-on Parker Alford.

— One of the lighter moments of the open portion came when Stan Drayton was putting the backs through a drill where they had to get square with a gap while approaching the line of scrimmage, recognize the gap was closed off and then make an appropriate jump cut to daylight. When Bijan Robinson went through the first time, Drayton swung a blocking pad at Robinson as he was cutting up the field to simulate contact, but Robinson connected with the bag with such a force that Drayton had to drop the bag and gather himself due to the impact appearing to sting his hands.

— Not much new is shaking with the tight end group, but it’s worth noting that when they worked with the offensive line late in the open window, it sure felt like Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley were on equal footing in terms of who’s leading the charge for the group. Sarkisian has talked about wanting to use two-tight end sets and there doesn’t seem to be much (if any) separation between Brewer and Wiley based on their respective workloads.

Brayden Liebrock and Gunnar Helm worked with the second group while Juan Davis and Ja'Tavion Sanders were the No. 3 group in drills. It’s worth noting that while the one-on-one time Jeff Banks spent with Sanders on Friday drew a lot of attention, Juan Davis was with Banks and Sanders on Saturday as the staff tries to turn two talented, multi-positional athletes in high school into game-changing weapons as college tight ends.

— Robinson, Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson are for sure the top running back group. There's a clear line of separation between those three and the group of Jonathon Brooks, Daniel Young and walk-on Jarrett Smith.

— Everybody wants to know who’s got the edge at quarterback (even though it's far too early to predict an outcome). Putting together everything I’ve seen, everything I’ve gathered and trying to formulate an opinion, my inclination is that Casey Thompson is the guy who will start the opener unless Hudson Card goes out and takes the job from him in the two upcoming scrimmages.

Fortunately, for the sake of the offense and the program, Card is getting every opportunity to prove he can be the guy in a battle that has the feel of one in the true sense of the word. Card has looked a little more fluid, a little sharper than Thompson in the open windows and that’s not a bad thing because Card — especially in a setting with no defenders in his way — should shine since he’s the more naturally passer gifted of the two.

The good news for Thompson is looking good throwing routes on air or through the majority of practice reps we're able to see and being sharper in drills aren't what playing quarterback is about and he’s got more game experience than Card (albeit a small edge with Thompson’s 91 snaps played over two seasons according to Pro Football Focus topping Card’s snap count of 17 last season). It’s going to come down to the scrimmages and whether Thompson can prove that under the lights when the pressure is on that he can deliver, or if Card can show that he’s on such a trajectory that Sarkisian is forced to go with the younger guy he can get established in his first season and potentially ride with for multiple years while he builds a quarterback pipeline on the Forty Acres.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

9.95ers keep forgetting about Gabe Watson. If the Spring Game is any indication, he's going to be our 4th RB and get more playing time than Daniel Young and probably Johnathon Brooks. Howe even mentioned a walk-on before him. Sigh.

We are talking about someone who might see 10 snaps this year.

59 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

9.95ers keep forgetting about Gabe Watson. If the Spring Game is any indication, he's going to be our 4th RB and get more playing time than Daniel Young and probably Johnathon Brooks. Howe even mentioned a walk-on before him. Sigh.

gabe watson has a hurt hamstring right now, which is why he isn't in the practice reports.

6 hours ago, lazygringo said:

If Gabe Watson is getting playing time at any point other than blow outs, we're not going to have a good time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

How the Texas depth chart is shaking out early in the preseason

By JEFF HOWE14 hrs

When I get too hopped on Kool-Aid it’s good for me to remember that Luke Brockermeyer and Brendan Schooler are running with the 1s on defense.

What’s better than one coach on the field? Two coaches on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

When I get too hopped on Kool-Aid it’s good for me to remember that Luke Brockermeyer and Brendan Schooler are running with the 1s on defense.

What’s better than one coach on the field? Two coaches on the field. 

On the bright side, we’ll have multiple lunchpail guys, so the team doesn’t have to carry their own. In reality I don’t think schooler is the liability you make him out to be
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

On the bright side, we’ll have multiple lunchpail guys, so the team doesn’t have to carry their own. In reality I don’t think schooler is the liability you make him out to be

Maybe he’s a combination of John Lynch and Cliff Harris. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Tom Chairman said:

I love Sip but this is a lot of words to say not very much.

I'm glad he informed us that 'Sarkisian is going to start the WRs who make the right reads and catch the ball'.  I was getting worried that Sark was going to start guys that don't know the playbook and have butterfingers. I feel better now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I'm glad he informed us that 'Sarkisian is going to start the WRs who make the right reads and catch the ball'.  I was getting worried that Sark was going to start guys that don't know the playbook and have butterfingers. I feel better now. 

What you didn't pick up on is that "WRs who make the right reads and catch the ball" are code words for Kai Money.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

I have to say this surprised me a bit. And, I’m not saying I agree with this assessment.

But, I was told that the staff seems to not only like the team they’ve got but there are apparently some on the staff who believe they will go undefeated in Sark’s first season.

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

Ive Been Saying That GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

I have to say this surprised me a bit. And, I’m not saying I agree with this assessment.

But, I was told that the staff seems to not only like the team they’ve got but there are apparently some on the staff who believe they will go undefeated in Sark’s first season.

Coming from Alabama you have to think they have a pretty decent gauge on what talent looks like. So, either they really like the team or don’t think much of the schedule. Or, perhaps some combination of the two.

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

Herman thought we’d win 10 games and then we went 7-5, so 9-3 it is! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

Coming from Alabama you have to think they have a pretty decent gauge on what talent looks like. So, either they really like the team or don’t think much of the schedule. Or, perhaps some combination of the two.

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

Where is the Nasshon Hughes and Ta'Quon Graham are turning heads and looking like having a break out year part of the fall camp 9.95 update?

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

This update literally made me lol

Dylan Haines was a bitch on social media though. A bitch to our starting QB. That's why he'll forever be known as the 'human hurdle.'

I thought it was Sam that started it with Dylan before Sam ever played here. I could be wrong. Social media is mostly a modern form of Jerry Springer.