Gavin Newsom Recall

Horn Dogg

https://abc7.com/recall-election-stolen-ballots-vote-by-mail-torrance-police/10969902/

Torrance police find 300 unopened recall ballots, with gun, drugs and mail, in sleeping man's car

I had a friend that took too much acid and carried around tax forms. He was very protective of these secret cia documents that he had been given.

But I suppose a guy sleeping off a high in his car could be some high end ballot stuffer that will thwart the election process and only the cyber ninjas could foil his dastardly deeds.

About 1.5m ballots turned in - expected to be about 7-10% of the final turnout (10-12 million).  Dems will vote mail, GOP will vote in-person, no surprise there. 

Dem ballots are roughly 57% of the returns - 21% R and 22% other.  Roughly equivalent to the pace and affiliation of returned ballots at this point in the 2020 election as well. Democrats just need to continue padding their lead in the mail-in ballots to offset election day in-person GOP voting.  Maybe pray for some wildfires (totally kidding - maybe pray for rain). 

Edited by Js1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Angelyne - Wikipedia

Angelyne is an American singer, actress, media personality and model who came to prominence in 1984 after the appearance of a series of iconic billboards in and around Los Angeles, California that read only "Angelyne" and pictured her posing suggestively. Wikipedia
Born: October 2, 1950 (age 70 years), Polish People's Republic

Think we can move on from this one:
Angelyne.jpg

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what's the case against newsom, that he didnt' effectively manage the vax rollout?  

He went to French Laundry one time, so he deserves to be recalled.  /sarcasm but not

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

About 1.5m ballots turned in - expected to be about 7-10% of the final turnout (10-12 million).  Dems will vote mail, GOP will vote in-person, no surprise there. 

Dem ballots are roughly 57% of the returns - 21% R and 22% other.  Roughly equivalent to the pace and affiliation of returned ballots at this point in the 2020 election as well. Democrats just need to continue padding their lead in the mail-in ballots to offset election day in-person GOP voting.  Maybe pray for some wildfires (totally kidding - maybe pray for rain). 

Dumb question from a transplant: is there really true in-person voting in CA? All Californians were mailed recall ballots. In San Francisco County, voting in-person voting is just filling out a mail-in ballot on-site. It’s pointless. Regardless of how other counties conduct elections, I’d think the universal mail-in ballot would undermine the national narrative of Dems voting by mail and R’s voting in person. But it should give Newsom an edge by making it easier for otherwise apathetic Dem voters to vote. 

3 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Dumb question from a transplant: is there really true in-person voting in CA? All Californians were mailed recall ballots. In San Francisco County, voting in-person voting is just filling out a mail-in ballot on-site. It’s pointless. Regardless of how other counties conduct elections, I’d think the universal mail-in ballot would undermine the national narrative of Dems voting by mail and R’s voting in person. But it should give Newsom an edge by making it easier for otherwise apathetic Dem voters to vote. 

Yes

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-info/ways-vote

Vote Early in Person

Some counties offer early voting at a few locations before Election Day.

Contact your county elections office to see if they offer early voting.

County contact information can be found by visiting the Secretary of State’s website at: www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-resources/county-elections-offices.

Vote at the Polls on Election Day

Polls are open on Election Day: September 14, 2021, from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The location of your polling place is printed on the back page of the county Voter Information Guide your county elections official mailed to you.

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He went to French Laundry one time, so he deserves to be recalled.  /sarcasm but not

He's Nancy Pelosi's nephew.

He horribly mismanaged the reaction to Covid, unlike those great governors, Noem and Desantis.

He is complicit with Cuomo...somehow, some way.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Yes. You can fill out your mailed ballot and drop it off or complete a new ballot on Election Day. I’m in the same city/county as you. My local voting place is a nearby Fire Station.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Yes. You can fill out your mailed ballot and drop it off or complete a new ballot on Election Day. I’m in the same city/county as you. My local voting place is a nearby Fire Station.

Sorry, I phrased my question poorly. Yes, of course I know you can vote in person. I actually waited to vote in person last fall because I was excited to partake in the quirky city tradition of residents volunteering their garages as polling stations. But for some reason, the polling station on my block had closed, so I went down to City Hall, where I was given the exact same ballot I had on my desk at home. As a Texan used to voting machines, my trek downtown seemed pretty pointless to me. 

So to rephrase my question, if all registered voters are mailed ballots, is there any indication that Republican voters would wait to vote in person?

On 8/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, gsoda3 said:

what's the case against newsom, that he didnt' effectively manage the vax rollout?  

It's more that California's recall system is shitty and fairly easy to trigger, and Republicans are exploiting it to get one of theirs in the office. It's their only play to get a Republican governor.

We desperately, desperately need to overhaul the system or we'll effectively be facing recall elections every time out.

2 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

It's more that California's recall system is shitty and fairly easy to trigger, and Republicans are exploiting it to get one of theirs in the office. It's their only play to get a Republican governor.

We desperately, desperately need to overhaul the system or we'll effectively be facing recall elections every time out.

You guys have the trifecta right?  Change the system.  A recall election every 2-3 years is fucking silly. There should only be one for an actual reason.

7 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

fine, but what are the reasons the recall crowd is touting against newsom?  is it just the vax issue?  

Just now, gsoda3 said:

fine, but what are the reasons the recall crowd is touting against newsom?  is it just the vax issue?  

It was literally the French Laundry thing. They were already butthurt about the shelter in place and mask mandates, but the FL incident is what sparked the first petition. The second shelter in place only made it worse. So the reason is, muh freedoms. 

1 minute ago, We’reTexas said:

It was literally the French Laundry thing. They were already butthurt about the shelter in place and mask mandates, but the FL incident is what sparked the first petition. The second shelter in place only made it worse. So the reason is, muh freedoms. 

thanks.  that's ridiculous. 

20 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

They wanted CA to adopt FL and TX models of everything open, no restrictions. 

Went to kindergarten orientation the other day and one of the dad's was wearing cargo shorts and a black t-shirt with "Recall Newsom: Save California" across the front. The "C" in California was communist sickle. Bold choice to wear in an area that voted for Biden by like 4:1.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

They wanted CA to adopt FL and TX models of everything open, no restrictions. 

Went to kindergarten orientation the other day and one of the dad's was wearing cargo shorts and a black t-shirt with "Recall Newsom: Save California" across the front. The "C" in California was communist sickle. Bold choice to wear in an area that voted for Biden by like 4:1.

Nah, they do that shit on purpose looking for attention/conflict so they can get internet famous. 

"I was verbally assaulted for my beliefs.  Please contribute to my GoFundMe!" 

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

well that didn't happen til feb or march and the petition was already well underway wasn't it?

You are correct. The original reasons were as stated:

"Laws he endorsed favor foreign nationals, in our country illegally, over that of our own citizens. People in this state suffer the highest taxes in the nation, the highest homelessness rates, and the lowest quality of life as a result. He has imposed sanctuary state status and fails to enforce immigration laws. He unilaterally over-ruled the will of the people regarding the death penalty. He seeks to impose additional burdens on our state by the following; removing the protections of Proposition 13, rationing our water use, increasing taxes and restricting parental rights."

That said, most of the present movement revolves around his role during the pandemic.

31 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You are correct. The original reasons were as stated:

"Laws he endorsed favor foreign nationals, in our country illegally, over that of our own citizens. People in this state suffer the highest taxes in the nation, the highest homelessness rates, and the lowest quality of life as a result. He has imposed sanctuary state status and fails to enforce immigration laws. He unilaterally over-ruled the will of the people regarding the death penalty. He seeks to impose additional burdens on our state by the following; removing the protections of Proposition 13, rationing our water use, increasing taxes and restricting parental rights."

That said, most of the present movement revolves around his role during the pandemic.

None of those conditions are new.  None of the policy points are counter to anything he said while campaigning or demonstrated in previously held positions.  Heck, there hasn't been an execution since 2006.  CA has been notorious for high taxes since at least the 70's.

1 hour ago, shakahorn said:

None of those conditions are new.  None of the policy points are counter to anything he said while campaigning or demonstrated in previously held positions.  Heck, there hasn't been an execution since 2006.  CA has been notorious for high taxes since at least the 70's.

Doesn’t matter. The GOP wants minority rule.  They can’t win at the regular Ballot box so they have to do bullshit.  Recalls are akin to overturning the 2018 Governor race - something they said Dems wanted to do from 2017-2020 to Trump

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Doesn’t matter. The GOP wants minority rule.  They can’t win at the regular Ballot box so they have to do bullshit.  Recalls are akin to overturning the 2018 Governor race - something they said Dems wanted to do from 2017-2020 to Trump

Said it earlier in this thread, but the California democrats need to make it a priority to revamp the recall system. Make it more difficult or tedious.

the California GOP will try to recall every democrat California governor until the end of time as long as it remains an easy process.

they don’t have a reason, it’s because of partisanship or “fuck the libs”.

Edited by Voldemort86

If you live in California, please vote no. Get your friends to vote no.  It’s not just about California. The GOP would spin the hell out of this and use it to raise money for the 2022 campaign.  We need a win right now with how bad things are going with the virus and in Afghanistan. Take this seriously!

I'm expecting that Newsom will somehow flub the issue of the parole of Sirhan Sirhan thus triggering his recall and the installation of some right wing nut that gets less than 20% of the vote.  The simulation keeps chugging along.  

On 8/21/2021 at 7:20 PM, Mach 1 said:

McDonald's had an Olympics promotion in 76, randomnly handing out cards that would have different sports on them.  If an American won a gold in say, fencing, you'd get a free small fry.  Something bigger like boxing, maybe a cheeseburger.  The big daddy of them all was the decathlon with a free FUCKING BIG MAC.

You couldn’t top their campaign for the 1984 Olympics in L.A. when the Communist Bloc boycotted. If the US won gold, you got a Big Mac. If they won silver, you got fries. If they won bronze, you got a soda. And it wasn’t exclusive so you got each prize for every medal won. Sweep the medals, get a free meal. That was AWESOME! I always see people saying it was a terrible marketing blunder. I’m not sure that’s the case. Seems to me they probably expanded their market significantly as a result. But I don’t know.

As long as I’m on the subject, which admittedly has nothing to do with the thread topic, McDonald’s had a scratch-off campaign a few years earlier where, if you scratched off the right spot, you won the prize. It might’ve been to promote the Filet-O-Fish specifically. I can’t recall. I just remember eating a lot of fish sandwiches. The thing was, if you held up the scratch-off ticket next to a light bulb, you could see through the silver scratch-off material so every card was a winner. At the same time, my local McDonald’s was setting up a screen and projector in the dining room every Tuesday or Wednesday night and showing old episodes of Star Trek. I just remember riding my bike out there every week to eat a free fish sandwich and watch Star Trek. That was also awesome.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You couldn’t top their campaign for the 1984 Olympics in L.A. when the Communist Bloc boycotted. If the US won gold, you got a Big Mac. If they won silver, you got fries. If they won bronze, you got a soda. And it wasn’t exclusive so you got each prize for every medal won. Sweep the medals, get a free meal. That was AWESOME! I always see people saying it was a terrible marketing blunder. I’m not sure that’s the case. Seems to me they probably expanded their market significantly as a result. But I don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I lived at the Woo the second part of that summer and ate McD's every day of that promotion cause the winnings were so dominant by the USA as referenced above.  Perfect for saving food budget for more important things. /csb

Edited by zork
  • Drool 1

4.1m ballots returned so far, Dems lead 54-24 in the returns.  Of course, older voters are more likely to return so far than younger voters.

SurveyUSA, which is ass,  just showed the recall going for +11 for yes last month to +8 for no this month.  I don't think there's been a 19 point swing.  Also shows "yes" winning voters 18-29 and "no" winning for voters 30+.  Which is weird.   

On 8/30/2021 at 4:05 PM, zork said:

I lived at the Woo the second part of that summer and ate McD's every day of that promotion cause the winnings were so dominant by the USA as referenced above.  Perfect for saving food budget for more important things. /csb

And for getting a head start on adult onset diabetes and heart disease

On 8/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, shakahorn said:

The infrastructure in California is amazing. It's no wonder California is the 5th largest economy in the world. Those Californians coming to Texas will be shocked to see how far behind Texas is on infrastructure - especially the trumpers who take the infrastructure of California for granted. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Around that same time, a very young AUTF was growing up in San Diego where Mr Ray Kroc owned the local MLB team. Every Sunday the ticket stub was worth a free Big Mac if the Padres won. Of course they never won, the Padres never win.

If it was a double header on a Sunday it was still worth a Big Mac, even if they lost both. Luckily there were a lot more double headers in those days.

A Big Mac is still a guilty pleasure; A comfort food. I can't think of a single promotion that's ever been as successful with me personally. 45 years later and I still a sucker for a Big Mac.

Those old sucky padres still managed to whip up on the Dodgers.  Lasorda famously said something like: Cocksuckers are 25 games out, and we come here and they turn into the '27 Yankees". 

On 8/21/2021 at 6:11 PM, Underdog said:

So what's the down low on this "Entertainer" Angelyne? 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Angelyne - Wikipedia

Her billboards used to be EVERYWHERE in L.A.   Drive across town and you'd see a dozen of them.  It was really weird, and really L.A. 

Elder's catching all kinds of shit lately.  For starters, it turns out that he's been in a long-term relationship with his former radio producer, who happens to be a white woman.  And she's making claims that he was an abusive, gun-waving prick, a-la Phil Spector.  And of course, it's a big deal here that he's against mask and vaccine mandates, and promises to do away with them immediately if elected. 

i suppose he's still the favorite on the GOP side.  Personally, I think the dems fucked up (imagine that) by not running an alternate candidate, and campaigning the alternate alongside Newsom.  "Vote NO and vote JONES" or somesuch.  If dems  turn out, and by turn out I mean mail their shit in, this is a slam dunk.  And yeah, Newsom needs a kick in the nuts for the French Laundry thing.  That was fucking dumb and arrogant. 

For the Californians, did any of you Registered Republicans receive two ballots?  I received one, but I am registered with the Democratic Party.

Anecdotally, I know of four Registered Republicans who each received two ballots. San Diego County for reference.

Oh - and F the Dodgers.  

Edited by washparkhorn

I'm out here and have heard a radio ad about this, stating how the evil GOP/Trump supporters are coming to take over California blah blah and it hit me I've heard almost this exact ad before. Back in Texas, same narrator too, just switch gop/trump with Pelosi and Dems coming to Texas to take our guns blah blah

The difference between Northern California and everything San Francisco and south is night and day, remove the mountains from out here and you'd think you were in any number of southern states

On 8/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, gsoda3 said:

People are mad about the shutdown last year and the French Laundry thing.  Really though, the republicans are trying to take advantage of the shitty recall laws and lack of interest from the public and sneak one of their own into office.  I think they are banking on a potential Diane Feinstein death and then having their governor in a position to appoint a replacement, tipping the senate majority over to the GOP.  Diane Feinstein really needs to retire right now and take the wind out of the sail of this thing.

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

People are mad about the shutdown last year and the French Laundry thing.  Really though, the republicans are trying to take advantage of the shitty recall laws and lack of interest from the public and sneak one of their own into office.  I think they are banking on a potential Diane Feinstein death and then having their governor in a position to appoint a replacement, tipping the senate majority over to the GOP.  Diane Feinstein really needs to retire right now and take the wind out of the sail of this thing.

Dems have a super majority. They can ram a law through in 2 weeks if Newsom loses that her replacement must be a Dem.  

• Hook 'Em 1