Movie scenes that can almost give you allergies

closetohumping

On 3/27/2022 at 9:31 PM, freyguy said:

Still bawled my eyes out to Saving Private Ryan earlier today.  Senseless deaths, individuals begging for meaning in a FUBAR environment, bearing the burden of everyone else around you dying so that you can live on.  (sigh)

said it in another thread on here somewhere.  had no issue watching SPR in the theater, on cable or home video.  It showed the true random brutality of war in a way no other movie had done to that point.

that is until 2005 when I lost my WW2 vet grandfather, who had served in the Army Air Corps, returned back from several missions with missing and/or lost planemates.  He never really wanted to talk about any of it and SPR helped show why.

the very next time I watched it, and to this day even thinking about the very last scene when old Ryan drops to his knees crying, begging his wife to tell him that he had been a good man and that he had earned the right to live..... 

fuck  that just tore me up out of left field the first time it happened.   didnt realize why until later when I realized I had basically superimposed my grandfather in the place of Old Ryan.  And my brain still cant break that connection. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Haven’t scrolled all the way up (and, he’ll, I might have already posted) but two for me:

- Rushmore - when Max introduces Herman Blume to his father. The reaction from Bill Murray is one of the most poignant 2 seconds I can think of in any film

- Braveheart - “freeeeedooooooooommm!”

- Full Monty - several scenes with the dad and son and with Dave feeling insecure and the reaction when the older guy doesn’t get the job because they pranked him. Great acting everywhere. Then it’s such a feel good ending. (Nttawwt?)

• Like 2

I know it was posted on the first page but that was just a quick meme.

If you follow the baseball board, you may have read my story about myself and my Dad always playing catch whenever we got together. After reading this topic today, I realized it is the first time I've watched this scene since his passing in December of '21. He was 86.

Not sorry for posting the extended scene for the full effect.

• Hook 'Em 1

so many crying scenes in this movie for me;

1) Cup of Tea Scene
2) Scene with Anne Bancroft - Mr. Merrick, you're not an elephant man at all. John Merrick : Oh no? Mrs. Kendal : Oh no... no... you're a Romeo.

3) Scene in the Theater

4) Final Scene as he lays down in bed to die.

the scene where his church model is destroyed and he is being abused doesnt make me cry, but goddamn does it piss me off like no other movie scene does.

• Hook 'Em 1